What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

What have you watched on telly?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 am

I like a bit of telly, and sometimes I want to tell you about some of it, when it's good. The trouble is, we're notoriously awful at doing telly programme threads and then bothering to keep contributing to them. So I'm going to put all of my tellying thoughts in here instead.

Last night I watched two programmes; I caught up with Utopia on Channel 4, and I watched the first episode of series two of Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror, on Channel 4. I'm not certain whether that was episode 4 or episode 5 of Utopia, but either way it's nearing the end of its six-episode whole and it's frankly all over the place. The tone and the visuals are still jarring with each other from one moment to the next, and the brutality seems to have dialled down slightly. Although that might be a consequence of the jarring juxtapositions: your face and brain get so tired and confused hopping between smiling at some slapstick and then recoiling at some horrific violence that you (I) end up simply smiling at everything for convenience's sake. I'm pretty sure that that's no the right way to react to a child being bundled to the floor by armed police though, or some bystanders having their brains shot out for them.

Black Mirror was interesting. I didn't see any of the first series, but I knew to expect a satirical drama extrapolating slightly into the future from our own tech-obsessed world. What I got last night was a gentle drama about grief and about how one woman tries to stave it off, for a while. It mostly starred Hayley Atwell, who I've only seen in Captain America, but who here was a lovely, if sad, lady sliding from distraught grief to that simmering annoyance you get when an ex you used to swoon over keeps cropping up after you've split. She was very good, and portrayed her character sympathetically enough that I wanted her to be happy. So I felt a bit cross that Charlie wrote an ending that left her mildly annoyed and unable to properly move on. Her attempt to deal with impossible grief had trapped her in a stasis of over-but-together. I wanted either a doomy tragic ending or a trite happy ending where the nice curvy lady gets some resolution. Try harder please, Charlie.

Still. Good telly.

Oh, and I deleted Stewart Lee presents Alternative Comedy SomethingOrOther on Comedy Central off my planner, because I watched the first one and discovered that it appears to think it needs to be alternative to amusing :wryface:
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by NNK @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:57 am

The first of the new Big Bang Theory (Howard in space, you prob all saw it months ago).
QI
Spin City (on every day from Ep 1)
NNK

Post by Strawman @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:09 am

Damien Thorn wrote: some bystanders having their brains shot out for them.

[spoiler]The two people outside the abandoned institution who get shot by raisin boy? Pretty sure that they were two members of "The organization" who had just arrived to stake the place out[/spoiler]

If so that was the penultimate episode. Some of it is pretty disturbing, though thankfully there is more talk of torture that actually showing it.

ETC- a { for a [
Last edited by Strawman on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 am

According to Arby, yes. But even now I'm unsure whose actions/motives/words are necessarily trustworthy.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:24 am

Good point.
Strawman

Post by Erik the Red @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:33 am

Nothing, as I don't have one.

I spend enough time here as it is :hehe:.
Erik the Red

Post by onomatopoeia @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 am

I'm watching The Following following a recommendation on here. It's a bitcompletely preposterous, but diverting enough that I haven't deleted it from the series link thing yet.

I've got the first of the new Spartacus recorded, the freeview box is watching Utopia for me - I'll get around to it eventually - and have started on the new series of Spiral on BBC4.
onomatopoeia

Post by One MoreDonkey @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:12 am

Been trying to watch Brain Surgeons on BBC2 of a Wednesday evening (catch up on BBC iPlayer on a Thursday morning whilst the baby has a nap). It's hard watching at times but a good series so far. Filmed at the John Radcliffe in Oxford in the same wing as Mr Maz goes for his Cancer treatments / follow ups.
One MoreDonkey

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:16 am

I struggle to watch medical programme generally. It's bad enough on Superfat vs Superthinny when they show you some big fat dope's ulcerated undercurrents, or on My Misshapen Areas (also with Dr Christian, The Llamanator) when they poke a random rectum with a pencil - but if there's any risk of seeing proper operations and stuff I'm well over on the other channel I'm afraid. I have literally no idea why people would watch Holby or Causality to see exactly the same horrors only made up for fun. Are there operations in the Brain programme? Or is it hard to watch because it's sad?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by One MoreDonkey @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:36 am

Holby etc are just soaps and I don't watch them, I enjoy the documentries for medical programmes and the Junior Doctors programme is quite good as well.

In general I don't watch much TV, certainly no soaps and the likes.

The Penguin spy in the camp thing the other night was very good as well
One MoreDonkey

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:41 am

coolcatmaz wrote:The Penguin spy in the camp thing the other night was very good as well

Oh I plussed that for my daughter because she likes penguins. She is three.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:43 am

coolcatmaz wrote:Been trying to watch Brain Surgeons ....catch up on BBC iPlayer on a Thursday morning...I enjoy the documentries.... and the Junior Doctors programme....The Penguin spy in the camp thing the other night.....

coolcatmaz wrote:
In general I don't watch much TV

Bodhi

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
coolcatmaz wrote:The Penguin spy in the camp thing the other night was very good as well

Penguin thing was excellent!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:48 am

Chalmers wrote:Don't know if I can be arsed rushing though, A really fit individual frustrated me at the few days by with confidence revealing that "Any reasonably fit man ought to be able to to do it in less than 45 mins" which was unpleasant....

Horrific c&p of dis there.

Your mother's in trouble etc
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by span @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:08 am

Second Marine wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Penguin thing was excellent!

Haha they're like people
span

Post by span @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

Are we allowed to talk about telly that isn't current? I'm watching Arrested Development on Netflix and really enjoying it, fully understanding why everyone loved it so much.

Current TV - Black Mirror is the only thing I'd currently get excited about, though I didn't think Monday's was as good as any from the last series.
span

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 am

Second Marine wrote:
Chalmers wrote:Don't know if I can be arsed rushing though, A really fit individual frustrated me at the few days by with confidence revealing that "Any reasonably fit man ought to be able to to do it in less than 45 mins" which was unpleasant....

Horrific c&p of dis there.

Your mother's in trouble etc

The fcuk?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:15 am

span wrote:Arrested Development on Netflix .

We need a new thing after Sons of Anarchy wasn't captivating.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Bodhi @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 am

span wrote:Are we allowed to talk about telly that isn't current? I'm watching Arrested Development on Netflix and really enjoying it, fully understanding why everyone loved it so much.

I love it too.

Also looking forward to starting House Of Cards.
Bodhi

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:22 am

I want a new thing too! All my new things are just my old things come back again, like Walking Dead and Dexter. I thought The Following was going to be my new things, but already I'm beginning to worry that it is going to be the same every week. My planner is chockful of long films all of a sudden, like Inland Empire and Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, but hardly any telly - except Film 2013 and Black Mirror now. But Black Mirror can't be my new thing because there are only two more. New thing!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by One MoreDonkey @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 am

Bodhi wrote:
coolcatmaz wrote:Been trying to watch Brain Surgeons ....catch up on BBC iPlayer on a Thursday morning...I enjoy the documentries.... and the Junior Doctors programme....The Penguin spy in the camp thing the other night.....

coolcatmaz wrote:
In general I don't watch much TV

Clever aren't you :rolleyes: Yes I watch the Brain Surgeons, Penguin Cam thing and Junior Doctors, that's three programmes a week. That is not much TV so stop quoting out of context to make yourself look clever
One MoreDonkey

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:44 am

:laugh:
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by One MoreDonkey @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 am

Somewhat harrowing watching part 2 of the Brain Surgeons. I hope we're never put in a position as some of the parents featured on that episode and their babies.
One MoreDonkey

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 pm

coolcatmaz wrote:Somewhat harrowing watching part 2 of the Brain Surgeons. I hope we're never put in a position as some of the parents featured on that episode and their babies.

I hope bad things don't happen to my childrens' brains too.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
coolcatmaz wrote:Somewhat harrowing watching part 2 of the Brain Surgeons. I hope we're never put in a position as some of the parents featured on that episode and their babies.

I hope bad things don't happen to my childrens' brains too.

:laugh:
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 am

Well, obviously last night's telly was all on a romonce theme because it was Valentine's Day, so we sat down together and romantically caught up with The Following. It's a strange series already, even four episodes in, because initial promise faded to trepidation that it was already running out of ideas, but now already hope has sprung because it isn't doing what I was afraid it was going to. It's like watching time lapse footage of nature, with all your reactions to a whole series speeded up and compressed into about three hours. It's not being grim and unpleasant any more either, just sneaky and arguey. Which has its own potential to become annoying of course. A stay of planner execution at least, so we'll see.

We also watched Sarah Millican's programme, you know, for romantic reasons. Sarah Millican talked about Mars bars and tits.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 am

House Of Cards on Netflix - just watched all 12 episodes - it's bloody ace.

Wonders Of Life - Brian Cox doing his physics vs evolution thing, and I'm particularly enjoying how, without directly saying it, in every episode he gets in a "fcuk you religion" moment.
GingerNinja

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:10 am

Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe is the best thing on telly and you must record/watch/catch-up it immediately.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:14 am

TKF wrote:Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe is the best thing on telly and you must record/watch/catch-up it immediately.

Yes, this.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 am

GingerNinja wrote:
TKF wrote:Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe is the best thing on telly and you must record/watch/catch-up it immediately.

Yes, this.

I do and do, but I've been underwhelmed so far I'm afraid. I preferred Doug Stanhope in smaller chunks and Barry Shitpeas and the woman feel forced.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Next

Return to Nervy's Culture Club