What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Joesnow @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:15 pm

That interview was just hideous.
Jordan seems to totally have lost his marbles, and the questions were just totally irrelevant. Its like he exists in his own Alice in Wonderland reality, with some sped up carousel music constantly on in the background.
What was that shit about Eccles being associated with the train robbery? Is that common knowledge, what has it got to do with F1 and the TG audience?

1. The Bernie Ecclestone connection
Completely unfounded rumours about the involvement of the Formula One supremo have circulated for years, prompting him to make the cheery denial that "there wasn't enough money on that train". There is a tiny connection in that one of the robbers, the late Roy James, who had been a professional racing driver, wrote from prison to the former champion Graham Hill, asking for help with his career when he came out. He was told he was wasting his time if he hoped to return to the track. But James was an accomplished silversmith and ended up making trophies.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -10-things
Joesnow

Post by Barbarianna @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:20 pm

I reckon Jordan's also been pulling the strings as to content. It's one possible reason why they decided to make that totally irrelevant ugly car (Ssanyong rodius) into a yacht. You can imagine it. Jordan phoning up and tooting his horn that he is all over dat derr boat scene in County Monaco and how great it would be for him to write about a car becoming a boat. Spelled out t there, it seems even sadder than it appeared.

But it's not all bad at all. I find the new TG quite watchable, and the 3 of them goofing around in that boat, as contrived as the premise was, was actually quite fun. It seems like they will all gel yet. MLB is still a little nervous about the place, but given another couple of seasons he will become his bada-bing affable self more fully.
Last edited by Barbarianna on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarianna

Post by Joesnow @ Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Yes, pretty much agree there.
Its cars on tele, whats not to like. Slightly irritated my Harris' hand clapping and maniac laughs, also by MLBs heavy equipment thing. Good certainly outweighs the bad though.
Joesnow

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:39 am

We finished Big Little Lies last night. I have utterly loved this series.

"But wait Damo!", you exclaim. "Isn't that that that girly shit about wives?"

Well, yes. It is about wives. But it is excellent. It is packed with Hollywood star power, and features Shailene Woodley, Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon as three housewife friends in Monterrey. The entire series is ostensibly presented in flashback, as an investigation takes place into a shocking murder. But who the victim is is as kept as mysterious the identity of the perp. And indeed the series pretends to forget about that entirely and gets on with all the flashback events, with just occasional reminder snippets of police interviews set now to remind you of the undercurrent of threat that rumbles ominously in the background of every scene.

It really was superb. The cast act the living shit out of everything. And it is so funny and enthralling and true-feeling. Shailene Woodley does some virtuoso stuff, and there is one moment in the finale - perhaps 15 wordless seconds on screen - where simple facial expressions actually thump you in the guts while you watch. Brilliant brilliant stuff. Even the music is superb.

I genuinely urge you to watch it if you haven't already, at least the opening episode. It's the best drama I've seen on tv for ages.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:42 am

Damien Thorn wrote:We finished Big Little Lies last night. I have utterly loved this series.

Well, yes. It is about wives. But it is excellent. It is packed with Hollywood star power, and features Shailene Woodley, Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon as three housewife friends in Monterrey. The entire series is ostensibly presented in flashback, as an investigation takes place into a shocking murder. But who the victim is is as kept as mysterious the identity of the perp. And indeed the series pretends to forget about that entirely and gets on with all the flashback events, with just occasional reminder snippets of police interviews set now to remind you of the undercurrent of threat that rumbles ominously in the background of every scene.

It really was superb. The cast act the living shit out of everything. And it is so funny and enthralling and true-feeling. Shailene Woodley does some virtuoso stuff, and there is one moment in the finale - perhaps 15 wordless seconds on screen - where simple facial expressions actually thump you in the guts while you watch. Brilliant brilliant stuff. Even the music is superb.

I genuinely urge you to watch it if you haven't already, at least the opening episode. It's the best drama I've seen on tv for ages.

My wife's been watching this and said it was excellent also.
Deuteronomy

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:57 am

Damien Thorn wrote:We finished Big Little Lies last night. I have utterly loved this series.

This was indeed excellent and I've even downloaded the soundtrack. Plenty of hanging threads for a second series too.
ttwiggy

Post by Il Duce @ Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Il Duce wrote:Big Heads.

If you'd pitched the prog idea of 5 people playing "it's a knockout" type games in massive celebrity heads I would have stood on my producers desk and pissed on your powerpoint laptop in a Wolf of Wall Street way.

BUT
Watched it in the gym with the sound down but with subtitles.
I don't laugh out loud very often at stuff on tv but it me and my mate laugh out loud several times.

Was it just me who laughed? Or was it shit with the sound up? Or both?

I wasn't in the gym last night so I happened upon this at home so had the benefit of sound

Dear god it's fvcking diabolical and I watched 3 minutes before changing the channel.
As an experiment I shall watch senza sound in the gym next week and report back to you.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Greg66 @ Mon May 01, 2017 9:43 pm

Line of Duty season finale. fcuk, it was good.
Greg66

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue May 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Anyone watched Ep 1 of American Gods on Amazon Prime yet?

Please do, it's magnificent. In a violent sexy comic book style mystery adventure. I'm a big fan of the novel and was terrified it would be awful, given the main actor's previous history was Hollyoaks. However, happy to say he's been good in it so far, although he doesn't have to say to much, but just emote and fight a lot. The beef of the acting has been taken on by Ian McShane who is fantastic and engaging as ever,

Also, visually it is gorgeous.

Yup, I think it's going to be a winner.
GingerNinja

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 pm

GingerNinja wrote:Anyone watched Ep 1 of American Gods on Amazon Prime yet?

Please do, it's magnificent. In a violent sexy comic book style mystery adventure. I'm a big fan of the novel and was terrified it would be awful, given the main actor's previous history was Hollyoaks. However, happy to say he's been good in it so far, although he doesn't have to say to much, but just emote and fight a lot. The beef of the acting has been taken on by Ian McShane who is fantastic and engaging as ever,

Saw this last night. Was spectacular but also very weird. I haven't read the book but it's Neil Gaiman so will be good I'm sure. The story will undoubtedly become a bit clearer over the next weeks! It certainly didn't hold back!
Doctor Congo

Post by Otto Sump @ Tue May 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Greg66 wrote:Line of Duty season finale. fcuk, it was good.

It was 'n' all.
Otto Sump

Post by desertweasel @ Tue May 02, 2017 10:42 pm

GingerNinja wrote:Anyone watched Ep 1 of American Gods on Amazon Prime yet?

Another for this, the book is one of my favourites and this seems to be very faithful to it. Mind, if you had no idea of the entire concept of the book it might be a bit confusing, found myself having to give some background to the misses but it will be interesting to see how they do this.
The Bilquis scene made it exactly as the book, which I didn't expect.
desertweasel

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat May 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Has anybody watched Sense8? I've just spied two serieses of it on Netflix and it sounds sort of interesting. Any good?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat May 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Has anybody watched Sense8? I've just spied two serieses of it on Netflix and it sounds sort of interesting. Any good?

It might be one of the worst things ever made. Send indulgent ego project from the Wachowskis. Painful, bloated and dull and a prime example of what happens when a director is given a huge budget and no restrictions.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Sat May 06, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Oh dear.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat May 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh dear.

Yes quite. It's one minor redeeming feature is that Freeman Agyeman (who played one of Doctor Who's assistance, Martha Jones) is in it naked a fair bit, in the first episode I think.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Sat May 06, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Greg66 @ Sun May 07, 2017 4:52 pm

American Gods: Amazon original, right? So released one episode a week, is that right? Not the Netflix style of "here's the lot now fill yer boots".

Already thinking I might wait until all of House of Cards is available before getting stuck into that, and if American Gods is the same, do the same for that too.

In the meantime, The Americans continues to be excellent (so WTF aren't more of you watching it?)
Greg66

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun May 07, 2017 6:05 pm

Watched E1 of Big Little Lies last night, shows promise.

I like the look of The Americans, and American Gods, but I'm still watching Elementary, Madam Secretary, Designated Survivor, Big Bang Theory and Deadliest Catch so I've got enough on my viewing plate for now.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Monty @ Sun May 07, 2017 6:56 pm

I forget who mentioned Better Call Saul on here a few months ago, but that's what I've been watching now I've got Netflix.
Really enjoyed it as it goes some way to explaining some of the characters in Breaking Bad. I've binged my way through to the point where i now have to wait a week for the next episode.
Also nearly through Borsch #3. And have rediscovered People Just Do Nothing on the Beeb watch again thing.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Il Duce @ Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 am

Monty wrote:I forget who mentioned Better Call Saul on here a few months ago, but that's what I've been watching now I've got Netflix.
Really enjoyed it as it goes some way to explaining some of the characters in Breaking Bad. I've binged my way through to the point where i now have to wait a week for the next episode.
Also nearly through Borsch #3. And have rediscovered People Just Do Nothing on the Beeb watch again thing.

Might have been me. Series 1 is superb. Series 2 not so much. Apparently series 3 is better than series 1.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 pm

We watched an episode of iZombie (the very first episode in fact, which sort of makes sense of you haven't seen any before). It's another police procedural with a young medical examiner helping the police solve crimes, only the USP of this one is that she's an actual zombie and eats the brains of the corpses she examines - somehow then getting a psychic insight into how they died/were murdered.

Sounds dreadful, but actually wasn't. We'll try a few more and see how it pans out. There are three whole serieses of it now, so clearly it found some sort of audience and may thus not be dire.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Mon May 08, 2017 12:58 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:We watched an episode of iZombie (the very first episode in fact, which sort of makes sense of you haven't seen any before). It's another police procedural with a young medical examiner helping the police solve crimes, only the USP of this one is that she's an actual zombie and eats the brains of the corpses she examines - somehow then getting a psychic insight into how they died/were murdered.

Sounds dreadful, but actually wasn't. We'll try a few more and see how it pans out. There are three whole serieses of it now, so clearly it found some sort of audience and may thus not be dire.

See to me that sounds like someone took a bunch of ideas, wrote each on down on a separate piece of paper, drew some out of a hat and said "OK, well, that's the challenge, so let's try to make this emu fly".

Are you sure it isn't simply exceeding some ultra-low expectations and getting the benefit of the doubt? I've started a few of those Netflix-only series and given up because they are, in fact, truly dire and life is too short to waste on them. That one - iZOmbie - hasn't even made it onto my "try it and see" list (yet).
Greg66

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon May 08, 2017 1:24 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Watched E1 of Big Little Lies last night, shows promise

I don't know what it is, and it feels all wrong, but I cannot stop watching this.
DI Burnside

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 08, 2017 1:30 pm

DI Burnside wrote:

I don't know what it is, and it feels all wrong, but I cannot stop watching this.

Hooray! It is brilliant.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Hooli @ Mon May 08, 2017 6:00 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:We watched an episode of iZombie (the very first episode in fact, which sort of makes sense of you haven't seen any before). It's another police procedural with a young medical examiner helping the police solve crimes, only the USP of this one is that she's an actual zombie and eats the brains of the corpses she examines - somehow then getting a psychic insight into how they died/were murdered.

My ex watched that & I saw a few episodes, I found it quite funny and entertaining.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue May 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:

Hooray! It is brilliant.

Finished it last night, it is very brilliant.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • The ending was somewhat telegraphed, but how they got there was very well done.
DI Burnside

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 pm

DI Burnside wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:

Hooray! It is brilliant.

Finished it last night, it is very brilliant.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • The ending was somewhat telegraphed, but how they got there was very well done.

I was told by someone who has read the book that Bonnie's backstory (so far unexplored in the series) goes a long way to explaining her particular 'actions' at the end. I imagine this may form part of series II.
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Tue May 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Taskmaster is back. Not as good as previous series but still funny, despite the inclusion of the terminally awful Hugh Dennis.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue May 09, 2017 2:36 pm

thekungfury wrote:Taskmaster is back. Not as good as previous series but still funny, despite the inclusion of the terminally awful Hugh Dennis.

We were eating in the same restaurant the other week, he pretended to be all cool and not to notice me, but I could tell he was very excited.
Deuteronomy

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu May 18, 2017 3:11 pm

I've watched the first two (of three) episodes of Three Girls about the girls in Rochdale who were abused and exploited by a gang of Pakistani kebab shop men and taxi drivers. It's not been an easy watch and the callousness of the abusers and the disregard of police and social services towards the girls is both shocking and frustrating even when you know the outcome. South Yorkshire Police in particular are really shown to be a total shower of shit.

Paul Kaye plays the father of one of the girls but he hasn't done any of his Dennis Pennis stuff yet. Maybe he's saving it for the final episode tonight.
spast1kunt

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club