What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Bodhi @ Thu May 18, 2017 3:37 pm

It's' horrific isn't it.

If it were fiction you just wouldn't believe it could happen.
Bodhi

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 pm

Is anyone else watching or watched Locked Up on 4? It's a Walter Presents thing and is basically a Spanish version of OITNB and Prison Break. Unbelievable but entertaining with good hooks.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri May 19, 2017 8:16 am

I've just finished watching The OA - I'm furious that I watched the whole thing for such a shit ending!
Deuteronomy

Post by stuart @ Fri May 19, 2017 8:25 am

Deuteronomy wrote:I've just finished watching The OA - I'm furious that I watched the whole thing for such a shit ending!

Such a disappointment isn't it. They just have a little dance and she gets shot.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Il Duce @ Fri May 19, 2017 10:37 am

Spin.
(les hommes de l'ombre)
Froggie political drama- it's better than it sounds.
I watched one episode of series 3 and loved it.
Series 1 and 2 (and 3 soon) have just been released on dvd and arrived in the post today!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by spast1kunt @ Fri May 19, 2017 10:49 am

I've watched the first two episodes of Public Enemy on Sky Atlantic. It's a Belgian police detective thing. A convicted child killer is released from prison and goes to stay in a monastery then a local child is found dead. Pretty good so far.
spast1kunt

Post by Disastrous @ Fri May 19, 2017 11:01 am

Disastrous wrote:
moleamol wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Stranger things works best if you're mine, CIS#4 and Damo's age.

Not so much if you're 10 years behind us, like Dis.

Oh. So it's just for old people?

In fairness, loads of my friends like it so I'm fully prepared to accept it's just me and reckon you should give it a shot regardless.

Though do bear in mind the super-hip, 24 year old Swedish girl in our office didn't like it either...just saying.

This was nagging at me so I felt compelled to finish the series.

I'm still a bit undecided about it. The policeman is brilliant, and also set to play Hellboy it seems, but Winona the thief is just infuriatingly awful. I think she should have been put down with a spade early on.

Also, I thought the girl's Ferris Bueller dickhead with a heart of gold boyfriend was a weirdly irrelevant plot strand, like they were trying so hard to tick as many 80's boxes as they could that they suddenly realised they didn't have a preppy rich kid in it and had to glue him on somehow.

I liked the way it weaved in the nostalgia but thought it got a bit heavy handed by the end, with all the artfully placed posters and toys and stuff.

But still, the soundtrack stands head and shoulders above the rest of the production. S U R V I V E can do no wrong in my eyes and it's brilliant.

Overall, glad I saw it out to the end but also sort of wish I hadn't started.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am

Dis, to save me looking what SURVIVE album should I buy?
Deuteronomy

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri May 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:I've just finished watching The OA - I'm furious that I watched the whole thing for such a shit ending!

Keep up, I have been preaching exactly this since it was first released. Tsk.
GingerNinja

Post by Disastrous @ Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:Dis, to save me looking what SURVIVE album should I buy?

There's only two so get both! The newest is probably better though...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Turntable @ Mon May 22, 2017 11:58 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Is anyone else watching or watched Locked Up on 4? It's a Walter Presents thing and is basically a Spanish version of OITNB and Prison Break. Unbelievable but entertaining with good hooks.

I have been watching this and liking it a lot.
Isnt the Walter Presents one season 2 though? I had to search all over for season one.
Anyway it is like a better version of Orange is the New black I think.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon May 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Turntable wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Is anyone else watching or watched Locked Up on 4? It's a Walter Presents thing and is basically a Spanish version of OITNB and Prison Break. Unbelievable but entertaining with good hooks.

I have been watching this and liking it a lot.
Isnt the Walter Presents one season 2 though? I had to search all over for season one.
Anyway it is like a better version of Orange is the New black I think.

We're watching S1. It's on the 4 app on firestick.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon May 29, 2017 6:46 pm

I got 10 minutes into E2 of American Gods before declaring it utter bollocks and removing it from my watch list.
DI Burnside

Post by thekungfury @ Mon May 29, 2017 7:22 pm

I've endured 13 Reasons. Netflix thing about a girl who kills herself but makes some tapes beforehand to tell everyone why she did it. 13 tapes, obv.

I hate myself for not stopping it earlier. I'm too TV loyal.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon May 29, 2017 7:25 pm

Master of None series 2. Hilarious, touching, brilliantly written and filmed, with a great soundtrack.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 pm

We're now into series 2 of iZombie. It's still exactly the same every time, but it is genuinely cleverly written and the lead zombie girl is very good with the way she exhibits different character traits (she helps solve crimes by eating the brains of murder victims, which gives her psychic visions of how they died - but also gives her some of the personality characteristics of the eaten-brain murderee). It's a very easy to watch programme, because it zips along and the episodes only last about 40 minutes. No, I can't defend it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Mon May 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I've been struggling with Narcos on Netflix. It's a fact-based docu-drama...ish thing about the Columbian Charlie trade in the 80's. Initially very interesting. Initially.
Apparently there's another season either ready or soon to be...
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by stuart @ Mon May 29, 2017 8:49 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:We're now into series 2 of iZombie. It's still exactly the same every time, but it is genuinely cleverly written and the lead zombie girl is very good with the way she exhibits different character traits (she helps solve crimes by eating the brains of murder victims, which gives her psychic visions of how they died - but also gives her some of the personality characteristics of the eaten-brain murderee). It's a very easy to watch programme, because it zips along and the episodes only last about 40 minutes. No, I can't defend it.

I love izombie.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by minimoog @ Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:47 pm

There was an ace documentary on Russia winning the space race on BBC4 the other night. It was a repeat but I ain't seen it before. Really good. iPlayer it.
minimoog

Post by span @ Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

Damien Thorn wrote:We finished Big Little Lies last night. I have utterly loved this series.
[/i]"

We just finished this last night and blimey it was good!! It's the most I've enjoyed a telly thing for ages, too - definitely since Night Manager and maybe longer.

The acting was great - I've always found Nicole Kidman a right bore in films but she was fantastic, as were the others.
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:43 am

span wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:We finished Big Little Lies last night. I have utterly loved this series.
[/i]"

We just finished this last night and blimey it was good!! It's the most I've enjoyed a telly thing for ages, too - definitely since Night Manager and maybe longer.

The acting was great - I've always found Nicole Kidman a right bore in films but she was fantastic, as were the others.

Big Little Lies was amazing. I want to watch it all over again because I liked it so much.

I'm enjoying (if that's the right word) The Handmaid's Tale at the moment. I've read the book a few times over the years and was looking forward to the TV series. The first episode is properly powerful stuff and Elisabeth Moss is superb as Offred. Like.

Mr Clown has been obsessed with Billions and I started watching it recently too. Just got halfway through the second series and love it.

Also watching American Gods. Again, loved the book and the TV series is spot on in terms of the surreal bonkersness of it.
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Lafleur @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:23 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I got 10 minutes into E2 of American Gods before declaring it utter bollocks and removing it from my watch list.

I'm on episode 5 now. I think it's ok. 3/5 but it moves very slow and it never has any cliffhangers or anything. Quite disapointing.
Lafleur

Post by span @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
span wrote:
[/i]"

Big Little Lies was amazing. I want to watch it all over again because I liked it so much.

Me too, rare I think that about a TV programme but I'd love to watch the whole thing again.

I've also been listening to the soundtrack on spotify, and I've also looked at property in Monterey online but it's quite expensive. Reece Witherspoon's house was my favourite.
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:46 pm

span wrote:
I've also been listening to the soundtrack on spotify, and I've also looked at property in Monterey online but it's quite expensive. Reece Witherspoon's house was my favourite.

I've been to Monterey! I didn't get to go to any of their houses though. sadface I liked Nicole Kidman's house too.

The soundtrack is great, isn't it?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:00 pm

It's a lovely part of the world
Käsemeister

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm

I've also been there and driven over that bridge. I liked Carmel too, which is just down the road from Monterey.
ttwiggy

Post by Turntable @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:13 pm

Due to lack of anything to watch, I restarted The Walking Dead again lately. I think I jumped a series (or two) and predictably it made no difference at all.
Just as I was starting to get annoyed with it again, the last episode fo season 6 and first of season 7 happened which ranked among the best two hours of TV ever.
Such a shame that the next two episodes went right back to shit.

Also then watched Billions as mentioned above and love it. Okay?
Turntable

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:57 pm

Turntable wrote:Due to lack of anything to watch, I restarted The Walking Dead again lately. I think I jumped a series (or two) and predictably it made no difference at all.
Just as I was starting to get annoyed with it again, the last episode fo season 6 and first of season 7 happened which ranked among the best two hours of TV ever.
Such a shame that the next two episodes went right back to shit.

Also then watched Billions as mentioned above and love it. Okay?

Listened to a podcast which sums up the Walking Dead as follows: in each series, the series opener, the series finale, and one episode in the middle are really gripping. The rest of it is just playing for time.

Except the series finale of the most recent series was not that great, as I remember it.

The death of Tyreese episode was VG. And the one in the prison where Herschel has to get a bit fighty too.
Greg66

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Here's WLKNGDED.BAS:

10 PRINT "They go to a place"
20 PRINT "It's good for a bit"
30 PRINT "There's a secret"
40 PRINT "Everything turns to shit"
50 PRINT "Sadfaces"
60 GOTO 10
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:38 pm

I'm currently watching Mad Men and I'm still not sure if I like it or not. It looks good, but I'm not sure if it is. Just starting season 2.

I am not totally convinced I haven't posted about this before.
manfromdelmonte

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club