What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:21 am

Watched the 1st two episodes of Happy! last night, utterly ridiculous from the start but I found it funny.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:53 am

Very, very odd show. But strangely compelling.
Käsemeister

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:35 am

Käsemeister wrote:Very, very odd show. But strangely compelling.

Indeed, whoever conceived of that must have 'done' a lot of acid at some stage.

Kudos to whatever TV exec commissioned it too. That must've been some pitch meeting
HappyGoLucky

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:44 am

Where can I watch Happy?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:24 am

I've just started McMafia. Like it so far.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:19 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Where can I watch Happy?

SyFy
HappyGoLucky

Post by minimoog @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:27 am

You could give Ozark a try.
minimoog

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:28 am

minimoog wrote:You could give Ozark a try.

Must finish that....
HappyGoLucky

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:33 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:

SyFy
Not in the UK sadface.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:35 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:

SyFy
Not in the UK sadface.

Find out how the Cheesy one is watching it?
HappyGoLucky

Post by chinkypig @ Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Big Little Lies. Best thing I've watched for ages.

I forgot about this, initially I didn’t want to watch it because I thought it looked like a ‘prestige’ Hallmark style series but after one episode I was hooked.

It’s fantastic.
chinkypig

Post by Strawman @ Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Wormwood, on Netflix, a series about an apparent suicide by this man who worked for the CIA and his sons 30+ year quest to uncover the truth. Good but a bit melancholic.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:47 am

Annoyingly I'm watching the new series of Hunted on Channel 4, where several members of the public pretend to be on the run from the authorities and play a nationwide game of hide and seek with a Gherkin-based* incident room full of Carry On ex-counter-terrorism and police types.

And annoyingly it has again triggered endless conversations on my sofa as to how we would attempt to avoid the authorities in that situation. Annoying.

The programme is blaters made up rubbish of course, and is no more using the powers of the State than I am when I'm making my breakfast, but it's mildly thrilling and a bit fun to watch over-confident hapless proles stumbling from one near crisis to the next while teams of butch-looking** hunters careen aimlessly about the countryside in expensive SUVs.

* I highly doubt they are based in the Gherkin, but the programme always gives you an establishing aerial shot of it before cutting to forlorn-faced detectives hunched over squinting at CCTV monitors. They're more likely in a portacabin in the car park behind the Big Brother house.

** Yes, even the women. Especially the women.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:15 am

Hello Damo.
I have watched a few of these and it feels like it could be sooooo good, but isn't.
I saw an episode whilst I was abroad of the foreign version of it and there was a prize of $1m. This transformed it into something else altogether where it properly mattered and the stakes were huge.
Same here as well. You watch it and spend your life wondering how you would do it.
Also, I wondered exactly how they supposedly have this access to thinks like ANPR. Is it bollocks, or do they pay the police?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by span @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 am

Deuteronomy wrote:After the positive reviews on here we've started watching The Good Place - it is indeed good.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this, too!!

(spoilers for last episode of season 1, and season 2)
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • After the twist at the end of season 1 I felt a bit let down, and didn't enjoy the first couple of season 2 half as much. I felt it had undermined the whole thing and couldn't see how they would carry it on. But having rehabilitated Michael (or just 'habilitated'? One for Susie Dent) as a character works really well and I love season 2 even more than 1! Especially the episodes in the Bad Place.

Janets, both Good and Bad, are the best thing in it.
span

Post by Turntable @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 am

Two episodes into McMafia on BBC.
I think the title was a massive mistake because it makes it sound like some kind of comedy mafia caper or something which made me almost not watch it.
Its really really good though. Go and watch it.
Turntable

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am

Turntable wrote:Two episodes into McMafia on BBC.
I think the title was a massive mistake because it makes it sound like some kind of comedy mafia caper or something which made me almost not watch it.

I HATE this programme.

James Norton is truly terrible in it, the writing is clunky and obvious

“Papa you know she doesn’t speak Russian please speak English”

“Vot now I hav to give up my language as vell as have my ‘ome teken frrrom me”

But most importantly it’s shots as very little actually happened and what did was hugely predicatable.
Bodhi

Post by Turntable @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 am

Shame. I like it, though, and people tend to believe me and not you and they will watch it and like it.
Just spelling out a Russian accent doesn't turn it into a bad thing, you know.
Turntable

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 am

Bodhi wrote:
Turntable wrote:Two episodes into McMafia on BBC.

I HATE this programme.

James Norton is truly terrible in it, the writing is clunky and obvious

“Papa you know she doesn’t speak Russian please speak English”

“Vot now I hav to give up my language as vell as have my ‘ome teken frrrom me”

But most importantly it’s shots as very little actually happened and what did was hugely predicatable.

I quite like it, but I'm watching it in the same way as I watched Riviera - preposterous, glamourous, great locations and fun but stupid.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Turntable wrote:Shame. I like it, though, and people tend to believe me and not you and they will watch it and like it.
Just spelling out a Russian accent doesn't turn it into a bad thing, you know.

I like it a lot. Stylish and exciting. The transferable accents are a pretty small gripe.
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Is anyone watching Requiem?

Flaky, Tinder-furtling cellist discovers a secret about her childhood and zips off to Wales to harass the locals. It’s not terribly original but quite creepy and very nicely shot. I’m quite enjoying it so far.

ALSO, you know I said I thought Britannia was going to be rubbish? Well, it’s kind of is, but also oddly watchable. Will give the next episode or two a go and see what it turns out like. I had read that David Morrissey was dreadful as the Roman general which was a bit worrying, having just seen him be utterly brilliant in Julius Caesar on stage, but he’s a total bastard and quite funny.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 pm

I’ve watched the first couple of episodes of Altered Carbon on NF. Distopian futuristic Blade Runnerish thing. Can’t decide whether I love it or if it’s self indulgent shite. Could go either way at this stage.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 pm

thekungfury wrote:I’ve watched the first couple of episodes of Altered Carbon on NF. Distopian futuristic Blade Runnerish thing. Can’t decide whether I love it or if it’s self indulgent shite. Could go either way at this stage.

Started this last night. HEAVY BR visuals, innit? Dunno how it’ll pan out. I’ve got an inkling it will beer towards obsessing over minor differences in the setting that PROVE IT ISNT BLADE RUNNER, OK?? instead of focusing on the story/characters. We’ll see.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Freddie @ Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:22 pm

Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:I’ve watched the first couple of episodes of Altered Carbon on NF. Distopian futuristic Blade Runnerish thing. Can’t decide whether I love it or if it’s self indulgent shite. Could go either way at this stage.

Started this last night. HEAVY BR visuals, innit? Dunno how it’ll pan out. I’ve got an inkling it will beer towards obsessing over minor differences in the setting that PROVE IT ISNT BLADE RUNNER, OK?? instead of focusing on the story/characters. We’ll see.

The book is very BR. Except for one major difference.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm

Anyone still watching Star Trek Discovery on Netflix? Bit up and down but currently on an up.

Just wasted 5 mins on a "celebs you hate" thread on PH, which made me think of this: who watches Made in Chelsea (or TOWIE) and why? Really, what is the point of those programmes? I have zero interest in watching them but I cannot understand how they exist. Even my daughters, who will watch some right cobblers, have never been interest in those programmes.
Greg66

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm

We're well behind on Masterchef: The Professionals and went to watch one last night, only to find the recording had failed on the next show. Fortunately, since BBC, it’s available on iPlayer. Unfortunately, since BBC, the original broadcast is not available as it’s past 30 days so they only have the signing version.

The little man in the corner wiggling his hands about is annoying but you can blank him out after a while however it’s also narrated. Another man will say stuff like “Jack fills raspberries with red gel” or “Stephen carries through his plate and places it in front of James who stares at it closely before tucking in and chewing a piece of courgette. James smiles and Stephen sighs with relief”.

I'm all for giving disabled people an equal chance of enjoying a show but what can blind folk really get from listening to a cooking show? We’re back to the Little Mix signing question but I can’t get my head round it.
thekungfury

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 pm

I am equally at a loss to understand what sighted people get from watching it. I guess that's more or less the answer: if James and Stephen chewing a courgette is what you get your kicks from, it doesn't really make any difference which of your senses you use to follow it.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:51 pm

thekungfury wrote:We're well behind on Masterchef: The Professionals and went to watch one last night, only to find the recording had failed on the next show. Fortunately, since BBC, it’s available on iPlayer. Unfortunately, since BBC, the original broadcast is not available as it’s past 30 days so they only have the signing version.

The little man in the corner wiggling his hands about is annoying but you can blank him out after a while however it’s also narrated. Another man will say stuff like “Jack fills raspberries with red gel” or “Stephen carries through his plate and places it in front of James who stares at it closely before tucking in and chewing a piece of courgette. James smiles and Stephen sighs with relief”.

I'm all for giving disabled people an equal chance of enjoying a show but what can blind folk really get from listening to a cooking show? We’re back to the Little Mix signing question but I can’t get my head round it.

Bit tone-deaf there, teeks.

OMG! I'm such a horror!
CJ+

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:29 pm

Greg66 wrote:Anyone still watching Star Trek Discovery on Netflix? Bit up and down but currently on an up.

I was quite enjoying it up until about ep6. Not sure how far you’ve got through it but its now annoyed me so much with a ridiculous twist that I hate it and have given up.

Plus, I keep getting strangely distracted by Clem Fandangos lack of a chin.
GingerNinja

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Watched the first three on the plane. Totally confused as to where they’re going with it, but not really intrigued enough to keep watching.
Käsemeister

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club