What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:04 am

Strawman wrote:It's a long tim since I've watched Buffy, but I didn't remember any of that from it.

Ha! FFS - why did I quote that?? Altered Carbon obvs.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 am

Laugh, I thought so. I liked the back story bit
plus
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • It gave him a reason to trudge off at the end in search of his lost love from 300+ years ago
Strawman

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 am

Strawman wrote:Laugh, I thought so. I liked the back story bit
plus
    • It gave him a reason to trudge off at the end in search of his lost love from 300+ years ago

Agreed, it wasn’t a bad back story but I thought it wasn’t handled especially well and as he flashbacks were a bit jarring in tone.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by span @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:46 am

We wanted something pleasant to watch last night because Sunday night, and we were both too fearful of the final Black Mirror of the series (has anyone seen it yet? If so can you just say whether it's a particularly cheerful / bleak one?)

Anyway I remembered I'd been strongly recommended Somebody Feed Phil on Netflix. Phil is Phil Rosenthal who created Everybody Loves Raymond, and it's a travel documentary where he goes around eating in different places. The only one I've seen so far is Bangkok, and it was thoroughly enjoyable.

He's immensely likeable and I've never seen so many amazing looking foods in one programme. We had beef stew for tea and still Mr S had to go and make a sandwich! I really wanted to but I've still got the last 3lbs of the Christmas Half Stone to lose, so I didn't.

I recommend it. 4.5 phils out of a possible 5 phils.
span

Post by Strawman @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:10 pm

I thought the last episode of Black Mirror (episode 6) was the worst one,
    • ends sort of upbeat but parts of it are really awful.
Strawman

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:14 pm

span wrote: I've still got the last 3lbs of the Christmas Half Stone to lose,

laugh at woman mixing measurements to put a positive spin on it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by span @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Il Duce wrote:

Haha! I don't accept that; you're just being all Italian about it. To say 3lbs of the Christmas Seven Pounds would be borderline American.

The other option would be to say '3 / 7ths of the Christmas Stone', because I would NOT say "half of the Christmas stone" because it's less than half left, you hear?!!
span

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

span wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

Haha! I don't accept that; you're just being all Italian about it. To say 3lbs of the Christmas Seven Pounds would be borderline American.

The other option would be to say '3 / 7ths of the Christmas Stone', because I would NOT say "half of the Christmas stone" because it's less than half left, you hear?!!

Spanga! spanga! I've no idea where you get this idea you need to lose weight you look superb as you are.

And that gents was a perfect example of how to charm your way out of an imminent kicking from a weight comment.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by span @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:30 pm

Il Duce wrote:Spanga! spanga! I've no idea where you get this idea you need to lose weight you look superb as you are.

>drunk and through mouthful of cake< Too late!! You obviously think I look enormous thanks for ruining everything
span

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:24 pm

>turns topic of conversation back to telly and away from Span's weight issues<

Sat on the sofa and watched a few of the new series of Silent Witness yesterday. Still enjoying, but definitely enjoy more when Amelia Fox's character doesn't spend the whole episode crying and/or wistfully looking out of the window.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:24 pm

span wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Spanga! spanga! I've no idea where you get this idea you need to lose weight you look superb as you are.

>drunk and through mouthful of cake< Too late!! You obviously think I look enormous thanks for ruining everything

Not enormous so to speak.
More big boned.
Or curvy.
Or Rubenesque.
And there's that problem with your glands which can't help, can it?

Listen, have another slice of cake, come and sit here and we'll start ordering all of your clothes in a bigger size ok hun?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:24 pm

span wrote:Haha! I don't accept that; you're just being all Italian about it. To say 3lbs of the Christmas Seven Pounds would be borderline American.

So Span(m), is it half a stone or a stone? You seem conflicted.
ttwiggy

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:33 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
span wrote:Haha! I don't accept that; you're just being all Italian about it. To say 3lbs of the Christmas Seven Pounds would be borderline American.

So Span(m), is it half a stone or a stone? You seem conflicted.

Wow! You are going so be killed so dead.
We shall mark your grave with the warrior sign for "fearless"
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 am

I'm really enjoying Altered Carbon - it's like a cross between Blade Runner and Demolition Man.
Deuteronomy

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 am

Deuteronomy wrote:I'm really enjoying Altered Carbon - it's like a cross between Blade Runner and Demolition Man.

I was going to give this a go. Mr C was watching it but managed to binge the whole series before I realised.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:32 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:I'm really enjoying Altered Carbon - it's like a cross between Blade Runner and Demolition Man.

I was going to give this a go. Mr C was watching it but managed to binge the whole series before I realised.

I wish I'd watched it with my wife as I think she'd have enjoyed it too.

It certainly employs the basic staples of tits and fighting, but in the future!
Deuteronomy

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:58 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:

I wish I'd watched it with my wife as I think she'd have enjoyed it too.

It certainly employs the basic staples of tits and fighting, but in the future!

Right, I've been through the whole thing, and overall I liked it. I thought the ending was a bit limp.

OTOH, I just watched a Black Mirror with a happy ending (Hang The DJ)! How weird is that!?
CJ+

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 pm

After a slightly weird and incomprehensible start, I’m enjoying this a lot
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:26 am

Did anyone watch Strike? I enjoyed it like I enjoyed the previous stories, but mostly to do with the characters I think (and Holliday Grainger, who is lovely) and less to do with the plotting which I couldn't really follow. Something something paedophile, something something sexual assault, something something serial killer with limbs in the fridge (and somehow a tower block council flat with two flights of stairs in it ???)

I'd happily watch more of them though, as there's nice chemistry and nice observation and the story isn't straightforward (clearly!)
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:28 am

Oh, and Top Gear. Which is better still than before and streets ahead of the Chris Evans incarnation. And more enjoyable than the latter Clarkson too, with fewer instances of mean-spiritedness and cringey clowning.

But it still feels a bit thin and unessential.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 am

last night we watched the last episode of the most recent Black Mirror series, 'Black Museum', and it was actually very good! IMO the second best of the series, after the SS Callister one.

It was in the Twilight Zone film anthology format, telling three different stories based on artefacts in the museum, and I thought all were all were imaginative and engaging. Each one exactly what I like from Black Mirror. Sometimes sad without being bleak. yay!
span

Post by Paul H @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh, and Top Gear.

But it still feels a bit thin and unessential.

Well yes, but what do you want? I'm not in the market for any of the vehicles featured last night but as a life long petrol head I enjoyed the chosen cars, the photography and editing is first rate, the presenters are starting to relax into it a bit more and it made me laugh a couple of times. A not unpleasant way to spend an hour on Sunday evening.
Paul H

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:44 am

I enjoyed it, and think I said so. But there wasn't much actual content in the films. Yes, it looks brilliant etc. But compare the length of the reverse race film with the McLaren film, and then think how much more they could have had in the show.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Greg66 @ Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Star Trek Continues.

This is, as Spock would say, fascinating.

It’s a web series (though you can download BD or DVD .ISO files and artwork and burn your own single season box set.

It’s also fundamentally a ten episode fan tribute series made over five years or so. With a massive difference. The stories continue the fifth and final year of the oringinal Enterprise’s five year mission. A couple of episodes are spin off from episodes of the original series. But the producers did it as a not for profit project and as such were able to talk CBS into selling them *all* of the original sets and models. It is shot in brightly coloured 4:3 with the weird focussed lighting used in the original series.

And they have lookalikes. The actor playing Kirk projects Shatner uncannily. In profile he is bang on; face on his face is a little broader. It took them 4 eps to get Spock’s wig and greenish eye shadow right, but he’s vg. McCoy was replaced after two eps and the second actor is much better; Scotty is played by James Doohan’s son; Sulu and Chekhov are excellent.

Finally, the stories are proper original series-style stories: moralistic without a surplus of space battles. It is a lot like watching more eps of the original, which works just fine for me.

Highly Recommended, if you liked the Shatner/Nimoy original.
Greg66

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:42 am

Top Gear was pretty good again last night, I thought. But I find all that Japanese Grand Turismo culture interesting anyway.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 am

Damien Thorn wrote:When I was a boy I assiduously read everything I could find by Philip K Dick. Novels, collections of short stories, etc. So I was quite keen to watch Electric Dreams, a new (ish) 'major drama series' anthology of adaptations of his short science fiction stories.

The first one was The Hood Maker, which I remembered only by name and in the broadest, vaguest strokes of story. And that was the one we watched last night. I hated it utterly.

I hated how it looked, I hated the characters, I hated the performances, I hated the deliberate dullness of it, I hated the confusing vagueness of it, I hated the meanness of the story, I hated the greenness of it, I hated everything. And it was so very boring.

I can only hope that because it's an anthology series of unrelated stories, others might be better.

Damien Thorn wrote:Is it actually possible for a human to stay awake for an entire episode of Electric Dreams? I doubt it. I tried to watch Crazy Diamond last night, and even the enticements of Steve Buscemi and a pigwoman hybrid couldn't keep me conscious. Hopeless!

Damien Thorn wrote:After successfully surviving my second attempt at Electric Dreams: Impossible Planet (dull and odd), I had fifteen minutes left before bedtime and saw the last fifteen minutes of The Apprentice. I don't watch this usually, and probably the only time I've seen it before is when my M-i-L is visiting and has been self-appointed as Telly Kaiser.

I couldn't bear it. What a bunch of self-important, bickering tw@ts. Snidey and deluded. Although I did slightly fancy the red haired girl with the glasses, it wasn't enough to make me want to watch more.

Wish I’d read this before suffering the first 2 last night. Worth grinding through or should I delete from the planner?
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 am

All the ones I've watched have been utterly awful. Even the ones critics have said were highlights. But I haven't watched any of the second part of the series, which contains two of my favourite old Dick stories: Autofac and The Father Thing.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Top Gear was pretty good again last night, I thought. But I find all that Japanese Grand Turismo culture interesting anyway.

I still enjoy TG but I do think the presenters are awful. 1.5 seasons in and there is no chemistry at all between them and other than Matt Whatever, the others are just really dull, slightly embarrassing people. They must be able to do better than that.
Last edited by Turntable on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by S1K @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am

Rory Reid is almost unwatchably stilted as a presenter. I loved seeing the 962 but he was completely the wrong person to give it to. Harris may be dull but at least he could have spoken about how it feels to drive a proper Le Mans downforce car on the road. Reid said nothing at all about the experience.
S1K

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Did anyone watch Strike? I enjoyed it like I enjoyed the previous stories, but mostly to do with the characters I think (and Holliday Grainger, who is lovely) and less to do with the plotting which I couldn't really follow. Something something paedophile, something something sexual assault, something something serial killer with limbs in the fridge (and somehow a tower block council flat with two flights of stairs in it ???)

I'd happily watch more of them though, as there's nice chemistry and nice observation and the story isn't straightforward (clearly!)

We have hearted Strike. Mr C hasn't read the books and even he liked it.
Clown Ice Skater #4

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club