What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
Greg66 wrote:Anyone still watching Star Trek Discovery on Netflix? Bit up and down but currently on an up.

I was quite enjoying it up until about ep6. Not sure how far you’ve got through it but its now annoyed me so much with a ridiculous twist that I hate it and have given up.

Plus, I keep getting strangely distracted by Clem Fandangos lack of a chin.

Can you hear me, Steven?

I've just watched 11, 12 and 13 and that's where the upswing returns. You're around the point at which it drags, IIRC.
Greg66

Post by Käsemeister @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Usual US season arc then. Sigh. When will they learn.
Käsemeister

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Greg66 wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:
Greg66 wrote:Anyone still watching Star Trek Discovery on Netflix? Bit up and down but currently on an up.

I was quite enjoying it up until about ep6. Not sure how far you’ve got through it but its now annoyed me so much with a ridiculous twist that I hate it and have given up.

Plus, I keep getting strangely distracted by Clem Fandangos lack of a chin.

Can you hear me, Steven?

I've just watched 11, 12 and 13 and that's where the upswing returns. You're around the point at which it drags, IIRC.

Yeah, I can't get over Clem Fandango's accent - but worth than that is the awful acting from the Doctor, just awful. I am utterly unconvinced by his relationship with the scientist bloke.
Deuteronomy

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:59 pm

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • dont get too attached to the Dr. He’s secretly wearing a red shirt.
Greg66

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Greg66 wrote:

• I know, I think I'm only 1 episode behind current, he's fcuking shit though and I'm annoyed he keeps coming in the dreams/visions with his shit acting
Deuteronomy

Post by Greg66 @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:34 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

• I know, I think I'm only 1 episode behind current, he's fcuking shit though and I'm annoyed he keeps coming in the dreams/visions with his shit acting

• Are you not convinced of the relationship between them because they are both men, or because of the colour difference, Doots? Either way, appalling prejudices and I am duly appalled. 1960s Alabama is calling, and wants you back. You utter horror.
Greg66

Post by desertweasel @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 pm

So just started watching "the counterpart" a really interesting mix of scifi and political thriller with a lot of hidden subtexts.
3 episodes in it seems good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Bu2DOM66g
desertweasel

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:35 pm

I've recently purchased the boxset of The Wire.

It's still excellent.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:37 pm

I intended to delete all my unwatched Buffys tonight, but couldn't find it in me to do it. I've got seventeen episodes racked up on the planner. They show a new one every day and I might watch one a week.

I'm doomed!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 am

I've started watching series 4 of Black Mirror.
I'm not enjoying it that much. Equally clever as the other ones but a slightly frustrating and slightly stressful view.
Your thoughts?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am

Turntable wrote:I've started watching series 4 of Black Mirror.
I'm not enjoying it that much. Equally clever as the other ones but a slightly frustrating and slightly stressful view.
Your thoughts?

I've watched two so far which I liked, esp the Star Trek one, but I suppose there's only really so far you can go with the kind of concept which is Black Mirror.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:34 am

I found the one with the insurance assessor who has the memory thinger (no spoilers, but it's the one that starts with someone hitting someone else with their car) to be incredibly bleak at the end.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by span @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 am

CJ+ wrote:I found the one with the insurance assessor who has the memory thinger (no spoilers, but it's the one that starts with someone hitting someone else with their car) to be incredibly bleak at the end.

Yes, me too. Bleak as fcuk. I've still got the last episode of the season to watch and haven't yet felt in the right frame of mind.

Problem is, right, you don't know what you're getting with Black Mirror. Some of them are engaging and uplifting (like the brilliant Star Trek one from this series, or my favourite episode ever San Junipero from the last series), but most are quite depressing and some (like the insurance assessor one) are so bleak I just wish I hadn't watched it.

I keep watching and being disappointed in the hope that this episode will be another Star-Trek-one / San Junipero.

Or even that it'll make up for it in inventiveness, but the episodes are also feeling less inventive. It's like they sit down and think 'right, what's going to happen this week, in the world of minimalist houses and mind-reading head magnets'.
span

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:06 am

Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:I’ve watched the first couple of episodes of Altered Carbon on NF. Distopian futuristic Blade Runnerish thing. Can’t decide whether I love it or if it’s self indulgent shite. Could go either way at this stage.

Started this last night. HEAVY BR visuals, innit? Dunno how it’ll pan out. I’ve got an inkling it will beer towards obsessing over minor differences in the setting that PROVE IT ISNT BLADE RUNNER, OK?? instead of focusing on the story/characters. We’ll see.

4 in now and really enjoying it.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:16 am

It has a decent story line, later you get some of the back story of who the main character was before he went to jail. The musings on the nature of life etc. is quite Phillip K. Dick. I wonder how much they spent on it.
Strawman

Post by Turntable @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:46 pm

span wrote:(like the brilliant Star Trek one from this series, or my favourite episode ever San Junipero from the last series), .

Interesting. Both you and Clown cite that one as being good and I thought it was really shit. It was actually like watching a 1980's Star Trek episode for me which is definitely not a good thing. Even in 1980 it wasn't a good thing.
Anwyay, I switched insurance assessor off after about 15 minutes last night as I was a little bit bored despite the fact it probably wasn't. I think I will enjoy it now you say it is bleak.
Turntable

Post by stuart @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Strawman wrote:It has a decent story line, later you get some of the back story of who the main character was before he went to jail. The musings on the nature of life etc. is quite Phillip K. Dick. I wonder how much they spent on it.

This was written in a review in Time about it

For viewers, the mystery may instead be why Takeshi’s sleeve takes the form of Swedish actor Joel Kinnaman (House of Cards) playing an Asian man living in a white guy’s body. That’s how it’s written in the book, but onscreen it’s especially problematic. The creators would have done well to instead cast an Asian actor as the reborn Takeshi, avoiding the same whitewashing controversy that plagued last year’s Ghost in the Shell.

So, even though that's how it's written in the book, they supposedly should have used an Asian actor instead.

How can it be whitewashing if it's faithful to the source material?
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Greg66 wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Greg66 wrote:

• Are you not convinced of the relationship between them because they are both men, or because of the colour difference, Doots? Either way, appalling prejudices and I am duly appalled. 1960s Alabama is calling, and wants you back. You utter horror.

No you utter horror! He's just shit!

We've just started watching S1 of Black Mirror, we like it so far, 3 episodes in.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Turntable wrote:
span wrote:(like the brilliant Star Trek one from this series, or my favourite episode ever San Junipero from the last series), .

Interesting. Both you and Clown cite that one as being good and I thought it was really shit. It was actually like watching a 1980's Star Trek episode for me which is definitely not a good thing. Even in 1980 it wasn't a good thing.

I really enjoyed the Star Trek Callister episode, and said so here I think. It doesn't hold together if you think too hard about it afterwards, but I liked it a lot as I was watching.

I've watched about twenty minutes if the black and white one with the robot dog Terminator as well, but that's all with this series. I'm struggling to muster enthusiasm.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:I’ve watched the first couple of episodes of Altered Carbon on NF. Distopian futuristic Blade Runnerish thing. Can’t decide whether I love it or if it’s self indulgent shite. Could go either way at this stage.

Started this last night. HEAVY BR visuals, innit? Dunno how it’ll pan out. I’ve got an inkling it will beer towards obsessing over minor differences in the setting that PROVE IT ISNT BLADE RUNNER, OK?? instead of focusing on the story/characters. We’ll see.

4 in now and really enjoying it.
Really looking forward to the chance to binge this.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I intended to delete all my unwatched Buffys tonight, but couldn't find it in me to do it. I've got seventeen episodes racked up on the planner. They show a new one every day and I might watch one a week.

I'm doomed!
I did delete them all in the end, last night. I felt quite brave and empowered. And then this morning before I even left the house at five thirty, my box was already recording another one.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Turntable wrote:

Anwyay, I switched insurance assessor off after about 15 minutes last night as I was a little bit bored despite the fact it probably wasn't. I think I will enjoy it now you say it is bleak.

I quite liked the Star Trek one. It was enjoyable and reminded me of the twilight zone film. The insurance assessor one was bleak to say the least. The one directed by Jodie Foster was good but vv sad.
Doctor Congo

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 pm

I think the knowledge that the insurance assessor one is so bleak is making me choose a time to watch it more carefully. Mr C also loves Black Mirror but I know he finds the bleak ones a bit much and it’s quite hard to watch the credits roll and turn to him and see sadness in his eyes.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I think the knowledge that the insurance assessor one is so bleak is making me choose a time to watch it more carefully. Mr C also loves Black Mirror but I know he finds the bleak ones a bit much and it’s quite hard to watch the credits roll and turn to him and see sadness in his eyes.

That one is truly terrible, in the sense that it’s so utterly horrible I kind of wish I hadn’t seen it in a way. Though the denouement is a little stupid...
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:57 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I did delete them all in the end, last night. I felt quite brave and empowered. And then this morning before I even left the house at five thirty, my box was already recording another one.

Hehe!
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Mr C also loves Black Mirror but I know he finds the bleak ones a bit much and it’s quite hard to watch the credits roll and turn to him and see sadness in his eyes.

Love this.
span

Post by Turntable @ Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 am

I normally like bleak but that one was just horrible.

Fortunately it was followed by the dating one which was excellent and the ending took me completely by surprise.
Turntable

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:22 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Mr C also loves Black Mirror but I know he finds the bleak ones a bit much and it’s quite hard to watch the credits roll and turn to him and see sadness in his eyes.

Laugh!

(not in a horrid way)
Deuteronomy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Turntable wrote:I normally like bleak but that one was just horrible.

Fortunately it was followed by the dating one which was excellent and the ending took me completely by surprise.

Aha we haven’t watched that one as we were so traumatised by the last one. Good to know the tone changes.
Doctor Congo

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I intended to delete all my unwatched Buffys tonight, but couldn't find it in me to do it. I've got seventeen episodes racked up on the planner. They show a new one every day and I might watch one a week.

I'm doomed!
I did delete them all in the end, last night. I felt quite brave and empowered. And then this morning before I even left the house at five thirty, my box was already recording another one.

I’ve just finished this so I won’t spoiler it...

It’s good, but it’s confused. When it’s being a hard boiled neo-noir, it’s excellent. Smoking guns, dangerous femmes and a riddle of a case, all set inside a hard boiled, neon rain drenched sprawl populated by a grotesque supporting cast are handled superbly.

Flashbacks, character expositions and ‘bigger picture’ stuff, not so much.

Purefoy is superb, Kinneman is ok.

I wish it had just stuck to being a hard boiled whodunnit in a cool setting. Purefoy’s rarefied society life echoes the sort of Hollywood gloss over criminal underbelly that Raymond Chandler worked so well and it should have focussed on that.

Good, with great bits, but also some shit bits.

ETA - ffs! I was going to say that one of the characters reminded me of Max Headroom and having just googled him, it’s because he actually was him.
Last edited by Disastrous on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:52 am

It's a long tim since I've watched Buffy, but I didn't remember any of that from it.
Strawman

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club