What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:48 pm

when LWD was made I was working in TV journalism and I had to go to Claridges to interview McGregor and Boorman. When I got there I was handed the biggest NDA agreement I've ever seen, most of which related to Ewan's wife and kids, which were apparently strictly off the agenda. As in most of these things you start off with some banal warm-up questions, one of which was the simple 'what was your favourite part of the trip?' Ewan replied that it was meeting up with his wife and kids, so, after quickly shooting the ashen-faced PR lady a quick smile, I determined that the subject was now fine to talk about...

Both of them were actually very pleasant, even Boorman, who really perked up once I told him how much I like Excalibur.
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:17 pm

GingerNinja wrote:Oh, also attempted to watch SKys new thing a Discovery of Witches or whatever.

I may well be in that. I was out one evening in Oxford whilst they were filming it and I think we ended up in one of the crowd shots.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:02 pm

Doctor Who.

Couldn’t stand Peter Capaldi for a second. Terrible. And so didn’t watch any of his run.

But I enjoyed this. It’s slightly overly PC in a slightly clumsy way but seeing the white male distaste for that writ large on PH is more than satisfactory.

Overall: will record and watch.

Vanity Fair.

Been watching this because a friend of the daughters had a minor role (reduced to non-speaking on the cutting room floor unfortch). Enjoyed it. Which I didn’t expect to.
Greg66

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:13 pm

I’ve been a bit of an on-off watcher of Dr Who over the years. I also disliked Capaldi but very much enjoyed tonight’s episode. It was all a bit breakneck speed but good watching.

The reaction to the casting of a female doctor is hilarious though. PH must be about to shit an actual rivet at the women, disabilities and brown people.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 pm

I liked it. Even though it was wilfully look-how-different, Whitaker was terrific and it was fun on the whole.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:41 am

I mostly liked it.

I used to LOVE Dr Who, up until the last few Matt Smiths ones which were weak, and then I totally gave up during Peter Capaldi.

I didn't take to JW as much as I instantly loved David Tennant, even moreso Matt Smith, and for that matter some of the assistants like Rose and Amy.... She seemed a bit too David Tennanty rather than having her own take on it..? And I thought the story was just fine. But it's only the first one, and she's a definite improvement on Peter Capaldi, so I'll definitely watch it again next week.
span

Post by S1K @ Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:33 pm

I enjoyed it too. I still sort of miss the creaky old Doctor Who when it was set in a Welsh quarry every week and the baddies were made out of plastic buckets and Fairy Liquid bottles but I accept that those days are gone.

I don't think it matters a jot that the Doctor is a woman. The character is an alien and it's a given that the body is just a way to blend in on Earth so why would it matter if that body is male or female? I agree a bit with Greg that it did seem a bit overtly PC in that there were seemingly very few white people in the Britain the series is set in but that's just an observation and it didn't spoil my enjoyment of watching the programme.
S1K

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Didn’t watch it but will. I am hoping the twee, love conquers all bullshit storylines are less prevalent.

Just finished season 2 of Ozarks. Excellent in every way.
Doctor Congo

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:05 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:I am hoping the twee, love conquers all bullshit storylines are less prevalent.

That's why I ceased to bother watching the show that calls itself "Doctor Who" these days. It was dodgy from the start with its insistence on tearing through everything in a fearful rush to get through a whole story in half a story's worth of transmission time (and never leaving you wondering what was going to happen next week), its visual overload of incessant crappy CGI effects just to demonstrate that look, we've got CGI now, and its idea of the Doctor as some kind of wizard with all sorts of magical powers instead of it being primarily his intelligence/knowledge/experience that sets him above the human characters.

But then it started being about shagging, and basically fcuk that, here's yet another show gone to shite because they've started making it about shagging instead of whatever the show's supposed to be about. (As if there aren't shitloads of soap operas and unreality programmes that were never about anything else for people to watch if that's what they like, instead of ruining every other show by making it about the same thing.) So I figured it wasn't worth bothering any more trying to pretend Doctor Who had come back, and stopped bothering to watch it. I have, since, read a few episode synopses on Doctor Who websites, and they seem to validate my decision - whatever the fcuk the show is now, it isn't anything I'd recognise as being Doctor Who if you changed all the characters' names etc. and asked me to guess.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:49 pm

After the first two shows, I have this year finally jettisoned X Factor because it is soul-suckingly shit and a crushing singularity of entertainment-free space. It already made me freshly hate Robbie Williams, and newly hate his awful stroppy wife.

So instead I have been bingeing my way through Fast N' Loud, where ~Americans modify cars and have hillarious rows. I genuinely love it and have been happily ploughing through series after series of it.

Also, Strictly.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:53 am

S2 of Big Mouth - good
Latest Better Caul Saul (S3??) - very good
Iron Fist - Meh
Ozark S2 - Ace
The Good Place S2 - Still charming
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am

I persevered with Killing Eve after the surprise of its non-serious first episode and am really enjoying it. Somehow it’s lost the slightly off key attempt at black humour and has settled down to be an interesting and light hearted drama with extreme violence, kind of like Dexter used to be.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by span @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 am

Deuteronomy wrote:S2 of Big Mouth - good
Iron Fist - Meh
Ozark S2 - Ace

Interesting! I just heard about Big Mouth since I got quickly obsessed with John Mulaney about a week ago (after seeing his excellent 'horse in a hospital' bit) but hadn't watched any yet.

Ozark - it's very good but I'm not sure I'm enjoying it as much as S1. It's like EVERYONE'S baddies, everything's awful, where's the narrative arc?

Good Place is currently my happiest half hour of the week - I adore it, and watch the new episodes as soon as they come out.
span

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 am

span wrote:
Iron Fist - Meh
Ozark S2 - Ace

Interesting! I just heard about Big Mouth since I got quickly obsessed with John Mulaney about a week ago (after seeing his excellent 'horse in a hospital' bit) but hadn't watched any yet.

Ozark - it's very good but I'm not sure I'm enjoying it as much as S1. It's like EVERYONE'S baddies, everything's awful, where's the narrative arc?

Good Place is currently my happiest half hour of the week - I adore it, and watch the new episodes as soon as they come out.

The Hormone Monster is tremendous!
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:13 am

span wrote:

We're saving S3 of The Good Place until there are enough episodes for a sitting, as we tend to eat them several at a time.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by stuart @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:19 am

The Haunting of HIll House.

I gave it 5 episodes before just giving up on it.

Was quite excited when I saw it pop up on netflix as I quite liked the book and it could have made an interesting film, but it's a series.

It should have been a film, not a 10 episode series.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 am

Iron Fist - Meh
Ozark S2 - Ace

Thumbs up for Ozark S2. V enjoyable, tense and well written.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:21 am

stuart wrote:The Haunting of HIll House.

I gave it 5 episodes before just giving up on it.

Was quite excited when I saw it pop up on netflix as I quite liked the book and it could have made an interesting film, but it's a series.

It should have been a film, not a 10 episode series.
It is a film. Two, in fact.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Freddie @ Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:48 pm

La Mante - Netflix. Dark with a real mind fvck last episode.

The Staircase. Netflix. Very creepy main character who may or may not have got away with murder.

River. Very good in a Life on Mars type way. Not sure that a second series would fly.

The Break. Dark and very twisty Belgian crime series. Various timelines, tons of rouge herrings and several crimes in tandem under investigation.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Dr Who. I enjoyed it, but I do wish the BBC could try to be more subtle about its sermonising. It’s like that episode of Silent Witness with the asylum seekers that I moaned about on here a while ago where the message was delivered with a resounding thud. It would be a lot more effective if they didn’t try quite so hard.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Dr Who. I enjoyed it, but I do wish the BBC could try to be more subtle about its sermonising. It’s like that episode of Silent Witness with the asylum seekers that I moaned about on here a while ago where the message was delivered with a resounding thud. It would be a lot more effective if they didn’t try quite so hard.

Agree. It is certainly better than previous incarnations. This quantum leap episode was a bit silly not least due to the total lack of back story of the villain. The moralising was heavy handed. They need to go back to a couple of episodes off earth and without trying to make a moral point.
Doctor Congo

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:15 am

Brace yourself for rather more of that...
Käsemeister

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:10 am

Am also watching Killing Eve. Actually quite enjoy it. Yes it’s a bit silly and the writing can be clunky at points but I’ve very much enjoyed it. Not sure why TT was so full of hate about it.
Doctor Congo

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:47 am

They were filming it near my flat last week. I saw the hot, assassin one, and one of the chaps.

I only saw about 5 minutes of the thing on TV to know that I couldn't be arsed with it.

Look, here she is (a colleague took this, I would have done better):

I'm watching Ozark S2 at the moment, kind of like it, but don't feel compelled to watch another once one finishes.
Last edited by manfromdelmonte on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:28 pm

I hated the end of S1 killing eve more than I can describe. I won’t say much in case people are still watching it but I’m am NOT at all happy.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I hated the end of S1 killing eve more than I can describe. I won’t say much in case people are still watching it but I’m am NOT at all happy.
Oh! Now I really want to start watching it!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I hated the end of S1 killing eve more than I can describe. I won’t say much in case people are still watching it but I’m am NOT at all happy.
Oh! Now I really want to start watching it!

Why?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:38 pm

Because I like to watch things that provoke a strong reaction. I've heard pretty positive comments on it overall, but if you've liked it enough to watch the whole lot and then the very finale has annoyed you - then I find that more intriguing than if someone just said it was "good".
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:46 pm

Good. I’ll be intrigued to hear your thoughts if you stick with it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:25 pm

Into The Badlands; "A mighty warrior and a young boy search for enlightenment in a ruthless territory controlled by feudal barons."

It's a bit Game of Thrones Lite, minus the dragons, plus Bruce Lee. It shouldn't really work but it's actually quite entertaining. 6.5
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club