What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:44 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I hated the end of S1 killing eve more than I can describe. I won’t say much in case people are still watching it but I’m am NOT at all happy.

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, got increasingly bored with the rest and like you loathed the finale which, at the time, we hadn't even realised was the finale.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35218
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Daredevil the 3rd season, really good, on the one hand it's a juvenile storyline with a blind man in mask beating the shit out of people, on the other decently rounded characters and some surprises, a lot of story arc is about Karen and her back story is pretty dark.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39656
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 pm

Strawman wrote:Daredevil the 3rd season, really good, on the one hand it's a juvenile storyline with a blind man in mask beating the shit out of people, on the other decently rounded characters and some surprises, a lot of story arc is about Karen and her back story is pretty dark.


Am watching this too. Enjoying it a lot. Started a bit slow but building up. The Punisher was worth a watch but the series was probably a few episodes too long
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 6477
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:29 am

100 days To Victory

I'm more a fan of WW2 than WW1 but this was fascinating. I'd never realised that the allies were so close to being pushed into the sea, I'd always thought it was pretty much stalemate. Also the "technology" that came into play in Amiens: machines that listened to the incoming artillery and precisely predicted it's origin, radio contact with the planes, rolling barrages, tanks, fake mustard gas. All brilliant stuff considering it was 1918. Looking forward to part 2 next Thurs.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12762
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 am

Turntable wrote:Really interesting 3-parter crime documentary on Netflix called Evil Genius.

After getting excited about this after TT's recommendation back in May, finally watched it this week and really enjoyed it. I remember having heard about the robbery years ago but I never realised even how the actual robbery ended, let alone everything else that went with it.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:53 am

Making of a Murderer second series, still the same case but what has happened since. So a much shorter period of time spun out to 10 new episodes. The best new character is the new defense attourney for Steve, she while slightly awkward at times in front of thee camera comes across as highly intelligent, compassionate and tough as nails. I want the next season to watch immediately.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39656
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:01 am

Strawman wrote:Making of a Murderer second series, still the same case but what has happened since. So a much shorter period of time spun out to 10 new episodes. The best new character is the new defense attourney for Steve, she while slightly awkward at times in front of thee camera comes across as highly intelligent, compassionate and tough as nails. I want the next season to watch immediately.

Interesting! I was feeling reluctant to watch this - I loved the first but it's such an investment of time.

Can I ask, how did you feel about their guilt after the first series, and did this series contribute to that or change your mind at all?

Oh guys did anyone watch the Inside Number 9 live last night? I didn't but I wish I had - the few headlines I saw (don't want to spoil it for myself) it sounds like this generation's Ghostwatch!
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:38 am

span wrote:Can I ask, how did you feel about their guilt after the first series,


I thought while someone was killed the case presented by the state seemed at least partly fabricated, and it was shocking when the dimwit cousin was convicted based on his "confession". Then I read around on the web and it seemed some people felt the series was biased in some ways to present a more compelling case for viewing excitement. So I was left unsure about Steven Avery. Without spoiling this too much, this series lawyer Kathleen Zellner builds a compelling case of what she thinks actually happened using forensic experts, that is intercut with the other legal team appealing the conviction of Brendan. There is a massive reveal toward the end which seems convincing to me.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39656
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:52 am

Strawman wrote:
span wrote:Can I ask, how did you feel about their guilt after the first series,


I thought while someone was killed the case presented by the state seemed at least partly fabricated, and it was shocking when the dimwit cousin was convicted based on his "confession". Then I read around on the web and it seemed some people felt the series was biased in some ways to present a more compelling case for viewing excitement. So I was left unsure about Steven Avery. Without spoiling this too much, this series lawyer Kathleen Zellner builds a compelling case of what she thinks actually happened using forensic experts, that is intercut with the other legal team appealing the conviction of Brendan. There is a massive reveal toward the end which seems convincing to me.

Interesting, thanks!

Your impression after the first series sounds like mine - I was also less convinced on Steven Avery's innocence having read around it a little afterwards. Though the Brendan's treatment and conviction just seemed appalling, disturbingly so. The videos of his interviews were sickening.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:49 am

I watched the first series, and enjoyed it a bit. Echoing Straws (Straws: please stop copying my work. You're only cheating yourself), my view was coloured by two things: first, the US criminal justice system is geared entirely towards avoiding trials (because money, time) so as soon as you are sucked into it the choices are plea to something, or fight to trial and go down for a very, very long time if [when] you lose as a punishment for not taking a plea. Poor old Avery was fcuked the moment he was arrested on that score.

Secondly, even though I know less than bugger nothing about criminal law, it seemed clear to me in places that the programme makers were constructing a narrative that skipped over, round, or under certain aspects of the story in order to cooper up the perception of injustice. So in the end I found it neither one thing nor the other. I would guess that the use of forensic experts (who are really experts for hire) makes the skipping over, round or under a bit less obvious.

OTOH, returning swiftly to the realms of low brow telly, I binged Daredevil S3 over the weekend, which is very good indeed. Mostly due to the reappearance of Kingpin, who is probably the best portrayed of all the Marvel baddies (played by Pvt Pyle from Full Metal Jacket, though took me a while to work that out).
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3111
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:14 pm

Greg66 wrote:first, the US criminal justice system is geared entirely towards avoiding trials (because money, time) so as soon as you are sucked into it the choices are plea to something, or fight to trial and go down for a very, very long time if [when] you lose as a punishment for not taking a plea.

I’ve been listening to the latest Serial* podcasts and this has become clear to me. If someone is caught they load up the charges. If you are suspected for something you’ll be charged with a dozen technically different but basically the same things. E.g. threatening someone with a deadly weapon, menacing in public with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault, assault resulting in bodily injury, deadly conduct etc. etc. Essentially they make one crime look like you’ll do time individually for each individual offence in the hope you’ll cop a plea to 1 or 2 rather than go to trial and face the lot. Courts themselves don’t want to sit through them all so they indeed punish you if you go to trial.


* Serial is excellent. Like Making a Murderer for your ears. Listen to Series 1, skip S2 and listen to S-Town, then go to S3.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35218
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by S1K @ Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:02 pm

I listened to a fair bit of Serial too, and I still think that Adnan Syed did it.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Bodhi @ Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:42 am

thekungfury wrote:

* Serial is excellent. Listen to Series 1, skip S2 and listen to S-Town, then go to S3.


I wholeheartedly agree. Do it everybody. Please.
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14221
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:52 am

Bodhi wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

* Serial is excellent. Listen to Series 1, skip S2 and listen to S-Town, then go to S3.


I wholeheartedly agree. Do it everybody. Please.

Oooo, I shall.

I love having a good podcast on the go - I'm going to do a thread.

span wrote:Oh guys did anyone watch the Inside Number 9 live last night? I didn't but I wish I had - the few headlines I saw (don't want to spoil it for myself) it sounds like this generation's Ghostwatch!

Oh hi span from yesterday! You look amazing, younger than ever! Yeah I watched this last night and it was excellent, I'll probably even watch it a second time.

Some Inside Number 9's are quite ordinary but the brilliant ones are brilliant. My other favourite, which I've watched a few times now and wept until I can't weep no more is '12 days of Christine' - one of the best episodes of anything I've seen.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:54 pm

I've got loads of telly I need to talk about, but I'm a bit pushed for time. Ask me later, yeah?

In the meantime, everybody watch There She Goes on BBC4. It's a bit like Catastrophe, but with David Tennant (ace!) and Jessica Hines (acer!) as frazzled parents of a girl with severe learning difficulties.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 12949
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by S1K @ Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:34 pm

I saw a bit of that the other night DT and thought it was great. A bit reminiscent of Outnumbered.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:19 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I've got loads of telly I need to talk about, but I'm a bit pushed for time. Ask me later, yeah?

In the meantime, everybody watch There She Goes on BBC4. It's a bit like Catastrophe, but with David Tennant (ace!) and Jessica Hines (acer!) as frazzled parents of a girl with severe learning difficulties.

I watched it the other day and was surprised how great it was!

I'm pleased others thought the same as I wasn't sure if I was just wanting it to be great; I was recommended it by an old friend whose youngest daughter has learning difficulties and they loved it, found it really true to life for them. And all the better for being written by a parent in that situation, rather that 'in consultation' with families, as it was quite close to the bone at points and didn't tiptoe around.

Has anyone apart from Stuart watched The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix? I usually steer well clear of any horror but this was recommended and against my expectations I'm really enjoying it!

So far it's more of a family drama. It's following the five children and skipping between their time as children in the house, and then as adults dealing with their experiences years later, with scary stuff happening every now and then.

But the scary stuff is good. So far it's chilling and creepy but no 'quiet quiet bang', no tension-building background music making it difficult to watch. It doesn't even hide the spooky stuff; it just shows it without much adornment at all.

I have a limited vocabulary for talking about scary films as they're not my normal thing, and somebody who knows their horror (Damien) might think this is crap. But so far I feel quite addicted and would happily binge them, punctuated with the occasional episode of Would I Lie To You to keep things light.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:27 am

If you could only watch one TV program for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I've thought hard about this for as long as it has taken me to type this and I am going for Have I Got News For You.
manfromdelmonte
 
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:34 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by S1K @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 am

It would have to be something funny. Maybe Porridge, because I've never found a limit to the number of times I can watch any episode of Porridge.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:05 am

I watched The First last night. Story about a manned mission to Mars starring Sean Penn as a grizzled and shredded would-be pilot who doesn’t make it onto the spaceship for a reason we don’t know yet. So far it’s intriguing but could easily go either way.

2 things:

a) I watched it live, something I can’t remember doing for a very long time on a commercial channel. Christ there are loads of advert breaks these days(?) and they’re all rubbish.

ii) I reckon at 9:05pm last night at least half of the viewers went to their phone and googled “How old is Sean Penn?”
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35218
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by S1K @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:13 am

Am I right to think that Sean Penn is a tw@t? That's certainly the feeling I have.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6293
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:59 pm

S1K wrote:Am I right to think that Sean Penn is a tw@t? That's certainly the feeling I have.


Yes he comes across and both massively pompous and very stupid.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 39656
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by stuart @ Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:55 pm

American Gods S1. Absolutely brilliant. I think they nailed transferring the book to TV.

I thought the casting was perfect.
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 17942
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: All up in your biznez!
Highscores: 2

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:21 am

S6 of House of Cards - not as good so far as it's Kevin Spacey.

3 episodes in a it's getting better, we probably should have watched the previous season re-cap and it's confusing as hell trying to remember all the previous deals, alliances and dastardly deeds.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17075
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

This Is Us

“A heartwarming and emotional story about a unique set of triplets, their struggles, and their wonderful parents.”

Sounds vomit inducing, but it’s not.

It’s spantastic !
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 17499
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:02 pm

stuart wrote:American Gods S1. Absolutely brilliant. I think they nailed transferring the book to TV.

I thought the casting was perfect.


I was initially quite excited about this because I love the book. But somehow I just couldn’t get into the series and ended up not finishing watching it. I’m not sure if I was just not in the right frame of mind for it or fundamentally just didn’t like it. Maybe I should give it another go.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3094
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:25 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
stuart wrote:American Gods S1. Absolutely brilliant. I think they nailed transferring the book to TV.

I thought the casting was perfect.


I was initially quite excited about this because I love the book. But somehow I just couldn’t get into the series and ended up not finishing watching it. I’m not sure if I was just not in the right frame of mind for it or fundamentally just didn’t like it. Maybe I should give it another go.


I got bored after about 3 episodes.
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 6477
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am

span wrote:
Has anyone apart from Stuart watched The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix? I usually steer well clear of any horror but this was recommended and against my expectations I'm really enjoying it!

I'm still enjoying this sooooo much. Every night we're like "Another spooky?" and last night we watched two!! I can't wait to reach the end but also don't want it to end.

And in terms of the spookiness, the climactic mid-season episode (5 out of 10) was a perfect example of how to do my sort of horror. It was absolutely chilling but not at all gratuitous - it made perfect sense in the story which meant I didn't feel so uneasy afterwards as I might.

Most of all, the family drama element is just great and very compelling. Episode 6 (I think) had the family together in a stressful situation and most of it was filmed with these long takes which made it very intense. The only possible criticism is that I kept thinking 'oh my God it's still the same take, they're REALLY good at acting and not messing up".

I still suspect that someone who knows their stuff would say that it's all been done before and I'm just enjoying it because I don't know the genre. Which is perhaps true. But who cares!
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:03 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:If you could only watch one TV program for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I've thought hard about this for as long as it has taken me to type this and I am going for Have I Got News For You.


Depends if you are assuming re-watching existing episodes or assuming they make an infinite amount of new ones. Important distinction!
I think it might be Alan Partridge for me.
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 31548
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am

Lego builders or something.

Well wtf happened to it? The last series was fun, with Bill Bailey and Dara O Briain presenting, interesting tasks, and candidates who were so likeable it was difficult to choose your favourite.

Now there's an annoying shouty mockney-geezer black dwarf, rubbish tasks that all seemed rushed, and candidates so annoying it was difficult to pick just one team you wanted to win.

No stars.
Was on series record. Now deleted.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 12762
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles