What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:17 pm

span wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I've got loads of telly I need to talk about, but I'm a bit pushed for time. Ask me later, yeah?

In the meantime, everybody watch There She Goes on BBC4. It's a bit like Catastrophe, but with David Tennant (ace!) and Jessica Hines (acer!) as frazzled parents of a girl with severe learning difficulties.

I watched it the other day and was surprised how great it was!

I'm pleased others thought the same as I wasn't sure if I was just wanting it to be great; I was recommended it by an old friend whose youngest daughter has learning difficulties and they loved it, found it really true to life for them. And all the better for being written by a parent in that situation, rather that 'in consultation' with families, as it was quite close to the bone at points and didn't tiptoe around.

Has anyone apart from Stuart watched The Haunting Of Hill House on Netflix? I usually steer well clear of any horror but this was recommended and against my expectations I'm really enjoying it!

So far it's more of a family drama. It's following the five children and skipping between their time as children in the house, and then as adults dealing with their experiences years later, with scary stuff happening every now and then.

But the scary stuff is good. So far it's chilling and creepy but no 'quiet quiet bang', no tension-building background music making it difficult to watch. It doesn't even hide the spooky stuff; it just shows it without much adornment at all.

I have a limited vocabulary for talking about scary films as they're not my normal thing, and somebody who knows their horror (Damien) might think this is crap. But so far I feel quite addicted and would happily binge them, punctuated with the occasional episode of Would I Lie To You to keep things light.


We are now fully involved with TSG and think it’s great. Quite tense to watch as you pick up on there stress but a great show.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49517
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:21 pm

I watched The Hill House Haunty thing and liked it.

Also, to my huge surprise I started watching the American version of The Office and am absolutely loving it.

I remember watching it at the time and, whilst not hating it, not liking it either. At the time I just saw it as a slightly plainer hence worse version of the original.
However, perhaps because the original one isn't fresh in my mind, I started watching it without prejudice and it is properly excellent. Very similar humour and the main bloke is brilliant. Not quite David Brent but really good in his own way.
Plenty of laugh out loud moments and almost more enjoyable to watch as the cringe is dialled down just a touch.
And in fact all the characters are similar but not copied. At the time I just thought this was worse but on re-watching it is evident that it was necessary because you just couldn't get a better Gareth than Gareth so the character needed to be slightly different, for example.
Anyway, someone watch it or I will never type another thing in this section
User avatar
Turntable
 
Posts: 31718
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm
Highscores: 7

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:36 pm

I am about to give up on Strangers. It has all the things which should make it good but it’s just really boring and John Simm’s character is annoying, clattering around Hong Kong like an oblivious naive sub-optimal Sherlock Holmes.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:27 am

We saw Strangers through to the end and it was okay.

Unlike House of Cards S6 - what a total waste of time, honestly if you enjoyed the previous series, then don't watch the last, it's truly dreadful.

It starts slowly and then briefly gets interesting at about E2 before skipping about leaving plot holes and massive assumptive jumps everywhere.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17233
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Greg66 @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:56 am

Turntable wrote:I watched The Hill House Haunty thing and liked it.

Also, to my huge surprise I started watching the American version of The Office and am absolutely loving it.

I remember watching it at the time and, whilst not hating it, not liking it either. At the time I just saw it as a slightly plainer hence worse version of the original.
However, perhaps because the original one isn't fresh in my mind, I started watching it without prejudice and it is properly excellent. Very similar humour and the main bloke is brilliant. Not quite David Brent but really good in his own way.
Plenty of laugh out loud moments and almost more enjoyable to watch as the cringe is dialled down just a touch.
And in fact all the characters are similar but not copied. At the time I just thought this was worse but on re-watching it is evident that it was necessary because you just couldn't get a better Gareth than Gareth so the character needed to be slightly different, for example.
Anyway, someone watch it or I will never type another thing in this section


We bought the S1-9 boxset for 66 minor last Xmas or the one before. I must have seen the whole lot a few times by now.

HoC - started S6 and gave up almost immediately. S5 was ludicrous but I thought I'd give it a chance. Shouldn't have bothered.

Currently on Ozark S2. Quite enjoying it. Bit Breaking Bad-ish but different. Unfeasible levels of jeopardy never far away, but they are somewhat unconvincing - you know he will beat the odds because if he doesn't the nature of the protagonists means that the series would come to a very abrupt and gory end. Jason Bateman plays (more or less) the same character he was in Hancock.

Watched the Bodyguard. Didn't feel it lived up to the hype. Preferred Killing Eve and felt we choose better by watching Vanity Fair live broadcast.

Mrs 66 and the girls have been watching HoHH and like it a lot. I am, of course, far to manly to get scared so I can't see the point.
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3296
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:57 am

Recently watched Norsemen on Netflix.

Enjoyed. Funny.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16458
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:26 pm

Span!

I watched the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House and liked it a lot. It's very creepy - that shot of the little girl waking up on the sofa filled me with horror. Likewise the meeting between Nell and Steven at the end in his flat. I will keep watching.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:34 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Span!

I watched the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House and liked it a lot. It's very creepy - that shot of the little girl waking up on the sofa filled me with horror. Likewise the meeting between Nell and Steven at the end in his flat. I will keep watching.

This is extremely exciting!!

I really hope I have't oversold it, just because I was so surprised to love something I expected to hate. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far though!

A recommendation for anyone who likes dogs, or at least doesn't dislike dogs - it's called Dogs. It's a documentary series on Netflix, a different story each episode and we've watched the first three.

To give an idea, the first was about a family adopting a service dog for their daughter who suffers from epilepsy. The second was about a Syrian refugee living in Berlin who'd left his dog with his friend in Damascus, and the attempts to get the dog to him. And the third was about an Italian fisherman / restaurant owner on Lake Como, who labrador goes with him everywhere. All quite different stories but just sweet and thoughtful and presented in a nice low-key way. It made me want a dog, but a different dog to my one.
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7220
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:34 pm

span wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Span!

I watched the first episode of The Haunting of Hill House and liked it a lot. It's very creepy - that shot of the little girl waking up on the sofa filled me with horror. Likewise the meeting between Nell and Steven at the end in his flat. I will keep watching.

This is extremely exciting!!


We saw them talking about THOHH on Gogglebox last night, and I was laughing at the terror of the people sitting through it. Off the back of that, I suspect I might be able to entice Mrs Thorn to start watching it with me.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13242
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:52 pm

Heads up for fans of The Last Kingdom and Vikings - the former new series 3 is now on Netflix and the second half of S5 of the latter starts on Prime tomorrow.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:41 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Heads up for fans of The Last Kingdom


Oooo, I watched and enjoyed S1, will enjoy on Netflix now
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17233
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Anyone up on Better Call Saul? I’ve just finished the latest series and thought it was excellent. It has everything I loved from Breaking Bad which many people loathed so if you’re one of them it almost certainly won’t be your bag.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35762
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:Anyone up on Better Call Saul? I’ve just finished the latest series and thought it was excellent. It has everything I loved from Breaking Bad which many people loathed so if you’re one of them it almost certainly won’t be your bag.


Yes, I have and it was great - better I'd say than BB.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17233
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:17 pm

I've persisted with it but never really enjoyed it that much, unlike Breaking Bad you have a good notion of where things are going, without the tension it hasn't gripped me.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40124
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Strawman wrote:I've persisted with it but never really enjoyed it that much, unlike Breaking Bad you have a good notion of where things are going, without the tension it hasn't gripped me.

Same as strawm, never went past S1.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49517
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:41 am

Halfway through S2 of Designated Survivor. Enjoying.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16458
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:59 am

CJ+ wrote:Halfway through S2 of Designated Survivor. Enjoying.



We binned DS because of the silliness. I watched S1 through gritted teeth (pulling a fingerprint off an iPhone photo of a wine glass was a low point) and S2 seemed even dafter so we just sort of drifted away from it somehow. Does it pick up?
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39396
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:46 am

Disastrous wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Halfway through S2 of Designated Survivor. Enjoying.



We binned DS because of the silliness. I watched S1 through gritted teeth (pulling a fingerprint off an iPhone photo of a wine glass was a low point) and S2 seemed even dafter so we just sort of drifted away from it somehow. Does it pick up?


I watched about half of S1 and gave up because it just became so stupid. I liked it when it was about Keef's struggle with his newly acquired power, then it turned into some sub-Tom Clancy bollocks.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:57 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Halfway through S2 of Designated Survivor. Enjoying.



We binned DS because of the silliness. I watched S1 through gritted teeth (pulling a fingerprint off an iPhone photo of a wine glass was a low point) and S2 seemed even dafter so we just sort of drifted away from it somehow. Does it pick up?


I watched about half of S1 and gave up because it just became so stupid. I liked it when it was about Keef's struggle with his newly acquired power, then it turned into some sub-Tom Clancy bollocks.


Snap.

I have 1 more episode of Lucifer to go. If you take it for what it is it's quite entertaining, but what I don't get is how they have a big reveal\incident\thing at the end of an episode only for the next episode to be a "normal" one with no mention of what's happened.
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 17843
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:00 am

Disastrous wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Halfway through S2 of Designated Survivor. Enjoying.



We binned DS because of the silliness. I watched S1 through gritted teeth (pulling a fingerprint off an iPhone photo of a wine glass was a low point) and S2 seemed even dafter so we just sort of drifted away from it somehow. Does it pick up?


No, it absolutely gets worse.

We binned it out as it got ever more preposterous.

Every episode consisted of women in tight power suits walking quickly though the West Wing corridors and Keefer whispering sanctimonious platitudes. Plus, that horribly thin/emaciated Asian-American CIA agent somehow not dying.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17233
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 am

It's very silly, obv, but then compared to some of the stuff I enjoy, it's properly high-brow.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16458
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Kief’s absurd whispering style of overacting was so awful I think I stomached about 3 episodes before declaring it shite and giving up.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35762
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:00 pm

Must confess I'm waiting for him to crack and shout "WHERE'S THE BARM?!" at someone.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16458
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by stuart @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:28 pm

Fear the Walking Dead.

Watched the first 2 series, it's better than the Walking Dead that's for sure. But it's still stupid characters doing stupid things then getting upset when bad things happen to them.

Also a week in to the zombie apocalypse and everyone is basically looting, tribal and bad.

It's another zombie show where the fact that there are actual zombies walking about is one of the least ridiculous parts.
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 18069
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: There
Highscores: 2

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by S1K @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:34 pm

I watched the first episode of the new four episode series of Vic and Bob's Big Night Out. I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy it or it would fall flat on its face but I'm glad to say that overall it succeeded. Graham Lister was back, though neither Les nor The Man With The Stick made an appearance. Tom Cruise was on the show which was a surprise.

https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/1067810347300450306
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:47 pm

I plussed that Big Night Out. I loved the show originally, and iirc went to see them do it live in Newcastle. I was horribly worried the new programme would be awful and thoroughly ruin my memories of the old stuff so I haven't watched it yet, but will eventually with some trepidation.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13242
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:27 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I plussed that Big Night Out. I loved the show originally, and iirc went to see them do it live in Newcastle. I was horribly worried the new programme would be awful and thoroughly ruin my memories of the old stuff so I haven't watched it yet, but will eventually with some trepidation.

I’m the same and terrified it’ll be shit. I daren’t watch it with my wife who loathed the originals as the toldyousos will be unbearable.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35762
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:44 pm

I always wanted to Like Vic and Bob and occasionally they were funny, but far too often it seemed just a lazy jumble of words following in the manner of a Dadaist tradition, lame as a 100 legged millipede.

ETA -Vic's paintings are well shit and similarly lazy as well.
Last edited by Strawman on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40124
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:17 pm

Strawman wrote:I always wanted to Like Vic and Bob and occasionally they were funny, but far too often it seemed just a lazy jumble of words following in the manner of a Dadaist tradition, lame as a 100 legged millipede.

ETA -Vic's paintings are well shit and similarly lazy as well.


I see Vic quite often in the Waitrose in Ashford, looking bearded and shifty. I never really got Vic and Bob to be honest.
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:02 pm

I just started watching Homecoming on Netflix. It seems a bit Manchurian Candidate but I’m only on e2. Anyone else watching?

FYI span, I haven’t forgotten about HoHH - Mr C suddenly revealed that he wanted to watch it too so I’m waiting for him to watch e1 before we continue.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles