What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:51 pm

No I liked it, and watched the mostly standard scenarios I guess, with at least 15 different versions, there were some good parts but I can't envisage enough variation in the further variations to try and find them. On Netflix for a few days now AFAIK. I guess it can only work on a streaming service with the option to shift to different choices.
Strawman

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 pm

The Sinner S1 on Netflix. Starts promisingly then descends into absurdity.
Greg66

Post by stuart @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:40 am

Strawman wrote: I guess it can only work on a streaming service with the option to shift to different choices.

Yep, it wouldn't work on my TV. It would work on the phone but wasn't able to be cast to the TV.

I had to watch it on the PS4.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:23 am

Strawman wrote:No I liked it, and watched the mostly standard scenarios I guess, with at least 15 different versions, there were some good parts but I can't envisage enough variation in the further variations to try and find them. On Netflix for a few days now AFAIK. I guess it can only work on a streaming service with the option to shift to different choices.

We watched it on the Apple TV via Netflix so all the choosy stuff worked. I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. I didn’t care about the main character at all and by the end, I was fed up with extra time being added to it depending on what you chose. It just seemed uncessarily convoluted and pointless.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:03 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Strawman wrote:No I liked it, and watched the mostly standard scenarios I guess, with at least 15 different versions, there were some good parts but I can't envisage enough variation in the further variations to try and find them. On Netflix for a few days now AFAIK. I guess it can only work on a streaming service with the option to shift to different choices.

We watched it on the Apple TV via Netflix so all the choosy stuff worked. I didn’t like it as much as I thought I would. I didn’t care about the main character at all and by the end, I was fed up with extra time being added to it depending on what you chose. It just seemed uncessarily convoluted and pointless.

Yeah I felt the same. I was looking forward to it and quite enjoyed elements of it, but by the end I was just getting fed up with being looped back in to an earlier bit when I wasn't really feeling invested enough to care.
span

Post by S1K @ Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:08 pm

stuart wrote:
Strawman wrote: I guess it can only work on a streaming service with the option to shift to different choices.

Yep, it wouldn't work on my TV. It would work on the phone but wasn't able to be cast to the TV.

I had to watch it on the PS4.

What a crazy world we live in. In ten years time we'll probably be discussing watching the new series by Deliveroo that can only be watched on a vacuum cleaner.
S1K

Post by stuart @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 am

Bit behind on this one, but season 1 of Westworld.

It's brilliant!

THe score / soundtrack is brilliant.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:01 am

Luther was excellent. People in the office were disappointed with the ending but I thought the series was magnificent.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:08 am

thekungfury wrote:Luther was excellent. People in the office were disappointed with the ending but I thought the series was magnificent.

I'm three into it, as of last night. We'll watch the finale tonight. I'm absolutely loving it so far, utterly thrilling and brutal and Idris Elba seems better than ever.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 am

Finished watching Ozark S2 over the weekend. Took me ages to bring myself to bother finishing it, but I wrongly assumed it was going to be worth the effort.

I enjoyed S1 but pretty much hated S2. Won't watch S3.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 am

Oh, and we watched that new dancing programme on BBC, because daughter. The Greatest Dancer. She enjoyed it, but I thought it was essentially a showcase to prove that Cheryl Tweedy/Cole/Fernandez-Versini has got emotions as well as the face of a plastic sex robot.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Finished Luther. Astonishing! Shocking and ace, even though it was a bit reliant on gunplay this series.

e: oh, also tried to start Fortitude III, which I've been excited about for ages, but haven't had chance to get stuck into. Sadly, within 15 minutes Mrs Thorn was asleep so I had to bail out, so we can watch it together another time.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:31 pm

Catastrophe. Ace as always. And I still massively heart Sharon Horgan.
Doctor Congo

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:03 pm

I forgot that was in, but luckily my Sky box didn't. I won't get round to watching it for ages though, probably when the series is all finished and stacked up on my box glaring at me.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Finished Luther. Astonishing! Shocking and ace, even though it was a bit reliant on gunplay this series.

e: oh, also tried to start Fortitude III, which I've been excited about for ages, but haven't had chance to get stuck into. Sadly, within 15 minutes Mrs Thorn was asleep so I had to bail out, so we can watch it together another time.

I very much enjoyed Luther, preposterous as it was.

We also started Fortitude III the other day and within literally minutes were looking at each other going, 'WTF?' I felt the last series had jumped the shark somewhat so the jury's out on this series.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 am

We did two F3s last night. I loved it, but it has gone utterly mental straight from the off. I love Dan though, still - and his beard is more magnificent than ever.

So far this series seems to be trying a bit hard : lots of big swearing, and even some nasty sex.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:16 am

Damien Thorn wrote:it has gone utterly mental straight from the off. I love Dan though, still - and his beard is more magnificent than ever.

So far this series seems to be trying a bit hard : lots of big swearing, and even some nasty sex.

Agree with all of this.
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:21 am

Cleaning Up last night. So far so good and although a little far fetched, not outside the realms of possibility. I liked how exited they got over their initial investment and am looking forward to watching more.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Cleaning Up last night. So far so good and although a little far fetched, not outside the realms of possibility. I liked how exited they got over their initial investment and am looking forward to watching more.

I loathe her and it’s an ITV thing so I had assumed it would be dogshit.
thekungfury

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:47 am

thekungfury wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Cleaning Up last night. So far so good and although a little far fetched, not outside the realms of possibility. I liked how exited they got over their initial investment and am looking forward to watching more.

ITV is almost always shit - just utter DFS sofa sitting on whilst watching and eating Iceland shit.
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:56 am

I'm not as judgemental about TV, it's fcuking TV, it's ALL central heating by and large. ITV has shit shows which are utterly shit of course but they do the occasional good drama - Liar and Manhunt were both good I thought. I quite like her as an actressactor and she's well cast in this.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:45 am

I want to watch that because I was genuinely curious how they would recognise a hot tip while emptying bins on a trading floor.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

ITV is almost always shit - just utter DFS sofa sitting on whilst watching and eating Iceland shit.

List of decent ITV shows I can remember in the last decade:

Broadchurch (first series)
thekungfury

Post by desertweasel @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:46 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Not a full series but Manhunt that just finished was excellent, but also that only thing I have watched on ITV for yonks
desertweasel

What have you watched on telly?

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

BBCish
Last edited by Käsemeister on Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Käsemeister

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm

The only decent itv program was Jeeves and Wooster about 25 years ago, otherwise all utter bollocks.
Doctor Congo

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:23 pm

I remember we had been using Freestick about 9 months before I bothered to sign it to the ITV app (which also means no-one else in the family cared), but can't remember why I did even then.

C4 has some good stuff. And C5 has premiership rugby so they are good
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Käsemeister wrote:BBCish

Interesting. What was the link?

It had the feel of a BBC commission, at least in the first series.
thekungfury

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:45 pm

Dirk wrote:I remember we had been using Freestick about 9 months before I bothered to sign it to the ITV app (which also means no-one else in the family cared), but can't remember why I did even then.

C4 has some good stuff. And C5 has premiership rugby so they are good

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a program on C5
Doctor Congo

Post by Käsemeister @ Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:57 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Käsemeister wrote:BBCish

Interesting. What was the link?

It had the feel of a BBC commission, at least in the first series.

ITV liked it, but didn't have enough money or gumption to do it. BBC WW/A stepped in and took over, hence why it was broadcast on the Beeb, but the downloads are flagged ITV.
Käsemeister

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club