What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Cleaning Up last night. So far so good and although a little far fetched, not outside the realms of possibility. I liked how exited they got over their initial investment and am looking forward to watching more.

Watched this today. I wanted to enjoy it but there’s so much wrong with it and Sheridan Smith’s character is really annoying. Shame really, because I think they could have done it in a way which wasn’t totally unbelievable with characters who are more than two dimensional cliches and it would have been ace.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:53 pm

I watched the Fyre Festival documentary on NF.

I remember it unfolding at the time on Twitter and the hilarious shambles hitting the hateful “influencer” type arseholes. This focuses on the build up to the shambles with Ja Rule and a complete chancer stumbling towards the shambles. Fascinating and gob smacking.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 am

thekungfury wrote:I watched the Fyre Festival documentary on NF.

I remember it unfolding at the time on Twitter and the hilarious shambles hitting the hateful “influencer” type arseholes. This focuses on the build up to the shambles with Ja Rule and a complete chancer stumbling towards the shambles. Fascinating and gob smacking.

I caught most of the second half of this, that Billy or whatever the main guy's name is seemed like a monumental chopper.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:51 am

Right. Bear with me before you laugh. I watched the first couple of episodes last night of the reboot of Magnum PI. And I really enjoyed it. Admittedly it was very late at night and I had a couple of glasses of Merlot because DJ is finished, but I had a lot of fun with it. And I think the programme itself is having the same fun, which rescues it from being a ghastly semi-ironic retread.

Staple characters are there from the original, including the Ferrari (albeit only briefly the iconic 308). Because I am genuinely old enough to have watched and remember the old series, I liked the callbacks and needless little shoutouts. I also liked the effective weaving together of lighthearted banter with violence and more-grown-up-than-I-remember-plotting. I also also liked that Perdita Weeks is heavily in it, because I was smitten with her in As Above, So Below when I watched that.

I also also also liked that TC had what seemed to be the absolutely same retro Island Hopper chopper. Yay.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:16 pm

I'm slogging through the last third or so of the second season of The Punisher. It's hard work. Like a lot of the Marvel things I've seen, (JJ, LC, DD), it spends an absurd amount of time with people having mundane conversations in an utterly portentous way. Dunno whether it's to fill airtime or not, but the end result seems to be that the whole thing takes about twice as long as it should.

I'll get to the end, because I want to see what happens, but still.
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Yeah I slogged my way through it as well, there are good sections and tedious longueurs, I don't think I'm really the target audience. There is a twist near the end which was a bonus. Seems like his super power is punishing people and getting beat up though, not sure how they can keep spinning that out for long arc story lines. I wonder how many comics he's appeared in? Quite a few wikipedia tells me.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Is anyone watching new Catastrophe? We're (still) loving it. It's so truthful and hilarious. And short.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Is anyone watching new Catastrophe? We're (still) loving it. It's so truthful and hilarious. And short.

Yes I love it and Sharon Horgan.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:18 pm

CJ+ wrote:I'm slogging through the last third or so of the second season of The Punisher. It's hard work. Like a lot of the Marvel things I've seen, (JJ, LC, DD), it spends an absurd amount of time with people having mundane conversations in an utterly portentous way. Dunno whether it's to fill airtime or not, but the end result seems to be that the whole thing takes about twice as long as it should.

I’m about 4-5 episodes in. It is hard work. Too many episodes too much pointless mumbling scenes. I’ll persevere though, much like the punisher himself.
Doctor Congo

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:36 pm

I thought Punisher S2 was a vast improvement over S1 and v good. It saga a bit kid season then picks itself up again and get going. Like.

I also just finished Timeless S2 which is more ok than S1. Uncanny how much the female lead (Lucy?) looks like Jaclyn Smith in the 1980s Reagan ep.
Greg66

Post by deev @ Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:50 pm

Icarus on Netflix, starts out as a journalist setting up a pro level doping scheme for himself to see how he can do in some mad cycling event in France. He ends up getting the guy who ran the USADA lab to set up his doping scheme and he showed him how to pass tests and then it runs out of control and it ends up being the thing that exposed the Russian doping at Sochi and leads to them being banned from the Olympics and then gets into people mysteriously dying and others skipping the country into US witness protection. And it's all true.

Absolutely brilliant and depressing view into how, in modern pro level sport "everyone's on steroids yo" to quote Nate Diaz.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by deev @ Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:33 am

Also the Fyre festival documentary. Hilarious, bunch of tossers sell a fantasy festival to a bunch of vain tossers using a bunch of vain model tossers. Worth it just for the old gay grey haired dude if nothing else. His willingness to suck a dick for a truck of water is a lesson to us all.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Turntable @ Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am

I have been watching Les Miserables.
I hear you groan, like I did when I saw it was on. Who wants to watch a musical made into a series right?
Actually it is just a series of the original novel and it is brilliant. One of those BBC gems in which all the ingredients are correct.
Excellent story/characthers/acting/dialogue etc. Just superb.

Tokyo, you will fcuking hate it badly, though, as it contains too many scenes of improbable coincidence
For the rest of us, just allow those and enjoy every minute of it
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:39 pm

Sex Education.

I just posted on PH about this, but wife and I really enjoyed it. The characters are all cliched but still work and are likeable.

The scene where one girl wanks all night was funny, I turned to Mrs Dirt and said, "is that what you do when i'm not about" she laughed and said "I do it when you are about"
dirtyboy

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:25 pm

dirtyboy wrote:Sex Education.

I just posted on PH about this, but wife and I really enjoyed it. The characters are all cliched but still work and are likeable.

The scene where one girl wanks all night was funny, I turned to Mrs Dirt and said, "is that what you do when i'm not about" she laughed and said "I do it when you are about"

Lol

Yes I’m enjoying this. It’s strange as very American and seemingly set in the 80s but clearly is now, totally implausible ‘kids’ having loads of sex but funny nonetheless!
Doctor Congo

Post by Freddie @ Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:28 pm

CJ+ wrote:I'm slogging through the last third or so of the second season of The Punisher. It's hard work. Like a lot of the Marvel things I've seen, (JJ, LC, DD), it spends an absurd amount of time with people having mundane conversations in an utterly portentous way. Dunno whether it's to fill airtime or not, but the end result seems to be that the whole thing takes about twice as long as it should.

It became boring, no seriously boring, by episode 6. Keep meaning to return to it but cannot be arsed.

Binge watched Paranoid on NF. Recommended. More red herrings than you will find in a decent fishmongers. Recommended.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:56 pm

“You” on NF seems OK so far

It’s a bit like a Dexter rom-com with inner monologues and the occasional gruesome scene.
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 am

Turntable wrote:I have been watching Les Miserables.
I hear you groan, like I did when I saw it was on. Who wants to watch a musical made into a series right?
Actually it is just a series of the original novel and it is brilliant. One of those BBC gems in which all the ingredients are correct.

Tokyo, you will fcuking hate it badly, though, as it contains too many scenes of improbable coincidence

You period lesbian!

We’ve just started Jack Ryan, in contrast, and it’s brilliant although somehow we’re 5 episodes in and realising there’s only 8 in this first season and S2 is not out yet which is terrifying. Bizarrely despite being about terror and counter terror, my wife loves it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:17 am

Finished The Punisher. Nice twist at the end. Very very >flat-hand-wave< about whether I'll bother with season 3.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote: and S2 is not out yet which is terrifying.

This is a very modern problem that we suffer from too. "That was brilliant! What a cliffhanger. Quick start the next series!"

>tumbleweed<

Horror!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Turntable wrote:I have been watching Les Miserables.

You period lesbian!

We’ve just started Jack Ryan, in contrast, and it’s brilliant although somehow we’re 5 episodes in and realising there’s only 8 in this first season and S2 is not out yet which is terrifying. Bizarrely despite being about terror and counter terror, my wife loves it.

We watched that and bizarrely despite being about terror and counter terror, I loved it! Maybe your wife was also entertained working out whether she thought Abbie Cornish was fat or not in it?

e.t.a. almost forgot, our new fave is Russian Doll on Netflix - one of the women from OITNB is the star in a sort of groundhog day thing. We're only abotu four episodes in but it's entertaining and is developing quite interestingly.
Last edited by span on Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:14 am

span wrote:e.t.a. almost forgot, our new fave is Russian Doll on Netflix - one of the women from OITNB is the star in a sort of groundhog day thing. We're only abotu four episodes in but it's entertaining and is developing quite interestingly.

I can't wait to watch this! I posted the trailer the other day and I think it looks really interesting.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 am

I finished the last series of Vikings on Prime last week. It's brilliant!
A wonderful binge watch if you've not seen any of it.
I've got to wait a year until the next series is out...a whole fcuking year!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Strawman @ Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Monty wrote:I finished the last series of Vikings on Prime last week. It's brilliant!
A wonderful binge watch if you've not seen any of it.
I've got to wait a year until the next series is out...a whole fcuking year!

I've been waiting more than a year for the final season of Game of Thrones now, only 2 months left to wait.
Strawman

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:01 pm

Just finished The Kingdom on NF. It’s a period Korean political and zombie action thriller. Sounds weird, but really works.

Beautifully shot, only 6 episodes in this season, and swings from political machinations in the royal palace to balls out zombie apocalypse. Pretty bloody good actually and quite the cliffhanger ending so there should be more.

Defaults to the dubbed version (yuck) so make sure you switch to original with subs.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:31 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
span wrote:e.t.a. almost forgot, our new fave is Russian Doll on Netflix - one of the women from OITNB is the star in a sort of groundhog day thing. We're only abotu four episodes in but it's entertaining and is developing quite interestingly.

I can't wait to watch this! I posted the trailer the other day and I think it looks really interesting.

I've just done four episodes in one sitting. This is brilliant! I love Natasha Lyonne anyway and she's just superb in this. The show looks like some kind of Argento-esque giallo, bathed in lurid nighttime colours and suspicious, askew angles of everyday things. The story is unfolding much more interestingly than I would have guessed and Nadia is a fantastic selfish cow, effing and jeffing her way through her (repeated) day like a whirlwind of cynicism.

Watch this.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:38 pm

I will watch this but I don't like Russian dolls, they are so full of themselves.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Ba-dum and indeed, tish.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:12 pm

The first two episodes of Das Boot, the reBoot on Sky.

Rather than just being set on the submarine this series is split between the boat and the story of one of the crew’s sister in
La Rochelle who is pulled between Germany and the French Resistance. Not sure it’ll be up to the claustrophobically tense standard of the original miniseries and the sister’s story feels like a bit of an add-on so far.
S1K

Post by DI Burnside @ Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Most of the way through S1 of Homeland and finding it V V good.

Impressed with Claire Daines, still in love with Modena Baccarin, and although normally annoyed by Damian Lewis think he’s pretty good in this.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club