What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by chinkypig @ Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:20 pm

We binged all of After Life yesterday and both thoroughly enjoyed it. The trailer bits were laugh out loud funny but some of the best were saved for the later episodes and his conversations with his dad imo.

Well written and very well cast.
chinkypig

Post by minimoog @ Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:10 pm

chinkypig wrote:We binged all of After Life yesterday and both thoroughly enjoyed it. The trailer bits were laugh out loud funny but some of the best were saved for the later episodes and his conversations with his dad imo.

Well written and very well cast.

Ditto and agree. Excellent.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:58 am

Finally started the Umbrella Academy, and bashed through the first four eps in a hurry. Really really enjoying it, but there are chunks when it forgets about all its ideas and coasts through a scene padded with nothing. The tripped-out assassins burning down the prosthetics lab is a typical example - several minutes of the same. That said, it's clever and interesting (mostly) and I'm enjoying the performances and the dynamic between the super-sibs. And Pogo is ace.

Accidentally saw half an episode of Fleabag on Monday night. Never seen it before, but it really captured my attention when I'd previously been ready for bed. I've now downloaded the first half of the first series to bang through, as it seemed really interesting, as well as quirky (awful word).
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by chinkypig @ Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:28 am

The Rookie.

Nathan Fillion as the oldest recruit in the LAPD and although this looks like a generic procedural, some interesting camera work and characters who aren’t quite as two dimensional as they first appear lift this into something slightly more interesting than it really should be.

It occasionally coasts on his natural likeability and has some unnecessary relationship drama but three episodes in and it’s holding my attention nicely.
chinkypig

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 am

I've got The Rookie on my planner. I love Fillion, and watched the entire whole of Castle. It did upset me to discover recently that I'm older than him, though.

Is anybody watching Love, Death + Robots?

I've seen about half of them (the first half) and mostly they're great. Really good ideas, cool twists, the usual markets for interesting stuff. I've never seen so much animegenitals though!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:22 am

Watched all of Love, Death + Robots in one big binge. Loved them all.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 am

No one else watching Line of Duty S5? It’s brill!
Greg66

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 am

Greg66 wrote:No one else watching Line of Duty S5? It’s brill!

Yup, superb TV. Makes me want to start over from S1.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Turntable @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 am

I can't bear to watch one of those per week so I am saving it.

Really enjoyed After Life. Thought it was the best thing he's done since the Office.

I'm up to date with Vikings now. Ive enjoyed that massively against all expectations
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:21 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

The boy is still a dreadful actor though.

I heard an interview with him and the female officer the other day and he’s Scottish. He’s obviously concentrating hard on putting on an English accent and forgets to act.
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:06 am

thekungfury wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

The boy is still a dreadful actor though.

I heard an interview with him and the female officer the other day and he’s Scottish. He’s obviously concentrating hard on putting on an English accent and forgets to act.

Yes agreed, he's the weakling of the show. 5 series in and you have no idea of his character at all; it hit home last night when the girl in his car invited him up and there was absolutely zero chemistry or anything coming off him. Wanker.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:52 am

Turntable wrote:I can't bear to watch one of those per week so I am saving it.

Really enjoyed After Life. Thought it was the best thing he's done since the Office.

I'm up to date with Vikings now. Ive enjoyed that massively against all expectations

I too will watch LoD S5 in one big fat Sunday lump.
CJ+

Post by chinkypig @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:55 am

Finally got around to Bird Box last night and really enjoyed it.
I know critics were sniffy about it and it might have worked a little better without the framing/flashback aspect but I was tense and invested.

Although it’s obviously been compared unfavourably to A Quiet Place it actually reminded me more of a scaled back version of The Mist.
Lack of shonky CGI also appreciated.

Should this be in films? Streaming content has confused me and I watch almost everything on telly nowadays...
Last edited by chinkypig on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
chinkypig

Post by Greg66 @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:10 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

We've watched the first two eps of S5 and are thinking seriosuly about putting the rest of it on hold in order to "revise" S1-4. Dodging spoilers on the internet might be tricky.

In a similar vein I am "revising" selected Marvel films in the run-up to Avengers Endgame. And I will undoubtedly revise the last two or three GoT books prior to the release of Winds of Winter, and most likely a couple of the most recent GoT TV series before S8 is released.

I don't know how it has come to this. It's ridiculous. I recognise that it is ridiculous, but I am powerless to resist. I need to immerse myself in all the little details to make sure I get the utmost out of the most recent releases.

So sad.
Greg66

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:38 am

I have a sense of where you're coming from Greg, I wonder if it's an age thing. Luckily I don't have the inclination or time to behave like that so don't/won't.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Strawman @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 am

CJ+ wrote:Watched all of Love, Death + Robots in one big binge. Loved them all.

Watched this over about a week, entertaining but disturbing as well, especially the one with the giant spider in it, the combat arena one was also memorable.
Strawman

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am

Which one with the giant spider?
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:54 am

Where they are on the spaceship and go into hypersleep before setting off and something goes wrong while they are in stasis.
Strawman

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:13 pm

I watched an astonishing programme last night, that I've never even heard of before; Just Tattoo Of Us.

It seems to have existed for at least four serieses, and this was a compilation of the most shocking moments. Essentially, pairs of people go on - best mates, partners, mother /son, wev - and design tattoos for each other which then get done on them while they're blindfolded.

It sounds almost as though it could be quite endearing in a horrible tabloid way, but it isn't. The tattoo designs seem intended to be the most vile and spiteful things humanly possible:

A woman got her own frowning face tattooed on the top of her 18 year old son's thigh, glaring at his cock - to stop him being such a slag. In return he got a big tattoo done on his mum's hip, a portrait of herself doing a massive projectile shit all down her own legs.

Two best mates who always went out on the pull together - one always successfully, the other perennially in his shadow. So the unlucky one got his mate's groin tattooed with words in big bright capital letters: "HIV, herpes, AIDS, clap"

I have literally never seen anything like it in my life. And I watch some stuff.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I watched an astonishing programme last night, that I've never even heard of before; Just Tattoo Of Us.

It seems to have existed for at least four serieses, and this was a compilation of the most shocking moments. Essentially, pairs of people go on - best mates, partners, mother /son, wev - and design tattoos for each other which then get done on them while they're blindfolded.

It sounds almost as though it could be quite endearing in a horrible tabloid way, but it isn't. The tattoo designs seem intended to be the most vile and spiteful things humanly possible:

A woman got her own frowning face tattooed on the top of her 18 year old son's thigh, glaring at his cock - to stop him being such a slag. In return he got a big tattoo done on his mum's hip, a portrait of herself doing a massive projectile shit all down her own legs.

Two best mates who always went out on the pull together - one always successfully, the other perennially in his shadow. So the unlucky one got his mate's groin tattooed with words in big bright capital letters: "HIV, herpes, AIDS, clap"

I have literally never seen anything like it in my life. And I watch some stuff.

The show title sounds very Partridge but the content sounds incroyable!
thekungfury

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:09 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I watched an astonishing programme last night, that I've never even heard of before; Just Tattoo Of Us.

:laugh: Are you sure that's not a dream? That sounds quite remarkable.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Seems hard to believe, but Google confirms I was in fact awake when I experienced these phenomena.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Even if you’re bored of it I’d urge you to watch s3e13 the grand tour. It’s a brilliant, brilliant episode (and makes me regret not doing a Goni crossing some years back).
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:19 pm

I'm still enjoying GT, but that's because I'm only just Primed and still cracking through S1.

I like it more than I don't, though. Which is a vast improvement on the end of Clarkson-era TG.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I'm still enjoying GT, but that's because I'm only just Primed and still cracking through S1.

I like it more than I don't, though. Which is a vast improvement on the end of Clarkson-era TG.

I had a free month of Prime and so downloaded the whole of S3. I've now cancelled the Prime. FY Amazon!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:50 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Even if you’re bored of it I’d urge you to watch s3e13 the grand tour. It’s a brilliant, brilliant episode (and makes me regret not doing a Goni crossing some years back).

I agree - while most of the episodes are painfully cringey and awful, with occasional OK moments (usually just when doing an ordinary car review), that whole episode was really excellent.
GingerNinja

Post by S1K @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:02 pm

Operation Live on Channel Five

https://www.channel5.com/show/operation-live/

On Tuesday night it was a kidney transplant, last night it was repairing a wonky scoliosis spine with screws and bars and tonight it’s brain surgery, but not rocket science. They say it’s live but at one of the advert breaks the screen countdown card revealed that there’s actually a one minute delay, in case the patient starts dying on the table or someone shits themselves I suppose.

The scoliosis repair was very precise but also very brutal, using techniques and tools that a carpenter or pipe fitter would be well acquainted with. It’s always a bit of a surprise to me just how mechanical surgery is.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:18 pm

I’ve lost count at the number of operations I’ve been at over the last couple of years and am always surprised at how brutal they are! It’s a good job we’re either anaesthetised or at least sedated for most of them. I’ll check Out the live streaming one, sounds interesting.

Also, if you like this sort of thing I’d recommend Critical Condition that’s been on 5 recently.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Mrs B was watching the brain one the other night and all I could hear was loads of oohs and ahhs and sharp intakes of breath mixed in with some oh my gods.

I still can’t bring myself to watch it though.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by S1K @ Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:08 pm

DI Burnside wrote:Mrs B was watching the brain one the other night and all I could hear was loads of oohs and ahhs and sharp intakes of breath mixed in with some oh my gods.

I still can’t bring myself to watch it though.

She couldn’t have been watching this because it’s live.

I suspect she was watching Surgeons: At The Edge Of Life on BBC2, the episode earlier this week featured a man having brain surgery while he was awake. They had a speech therapist in the theatre with them holding up flash cards for the patient to identify while they were in his brain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00042j2/surgeons-at-the-edge-of-life-series-2-1-one-false-move
S1K

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club