What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by S1K @ Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 am

Couldn’t agree more DC

Since they got ahead of the George R.R. Martin books the quality of the writing has taken a nosedive. The series jumped the shark for me with the episode North Of The Wall when they were stuck on the little island surrounded by the army of the dead. There were so many plot holes and it got so ridiculous that I felt that the writers had just given up. The last two seasons in general have been terrible and of the final season only episode 2 was any good at all. Formerly intelligent characters have been acting like they were concussedand the quality of the dialogue has gone to shit.

Most tv series decline in quality over time but that of GoT has been particularly disappointing because the first four or five seasons were so good.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 21, 2019 6:50 am

For me the finale almost redeemed this series. Yes, I still rage against the superficial, writing-lite, bombast-not-character episodes that make up the rest of series 8, but I enjoyed the final one almost without reservation.

Unlike the last few, this episode wasn't crammed with spectacle but instead spent time with characters simply talking, and wrestling with momentous choices. And I thought it was much truer to those characters than its been recently.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue May 21, 2019 8:40 am

Damien Thorn wrote:For me the finale almost redeemed this series. Yes, I still rage against the superficial, writing-lite, bombast-not-character episodes that make up the rest of series 8, but I enjoyed the final one almost without reservation.

Unlike the last few, this episode wasn't crammed with spectacle but instead spent time with characters simply talking, and wrestling with momentous choices. And I thought it was much truer to those characters than its been recently.

I think the outcomes and conclusions were so unlikely given what happened that it was just silly. Almost as if 7 seasons of plotting and conniving never happened and everyone sat around and said, oh alright you can have x and you have y. Again the whole thing felt as if the writers ran out of ideas. It was like a more melancholic version of the tortuously long ending of Lord of the Rings.
Doctor Congo

Post by Greg66 @ Tue May 21, 2019 10:04 am

Doctor Congo wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:For me the finale almost redeemed this series. Yes, I still rage against the superficial, writing-lite, bombast-not-character episodes that make up the rest of series 8, but I enjoyed the final one almost without reservation.

I think the outcomes and conclusions were so unlikely given what happened that it was just silly. Almost as if 7 seasons of plotting and conniving never happened and everyone sat around and said, oh alright you can have x and you have y. Again the whole thing felt as if the writers ran out of ideas. It was like a more melancholic version of the tortuously long ending of Lord of the Rings.

These two views pretty much sum up my ambivalence.

The initial series were focussed on characters and machinations. and were brilliant for it. Then, after the Hardhome ep was so received, the focus shifted to set pieces. Some were better than others (eg the Battle of the Bastards) but a time went on the set piece approach dominated at the expense of character-led stories. What I liked about the final episode was a return to a character-led storyline.

But... it all felt a little bit too rushed in terms of story-telling to the viewer, a little too rushed in terms of the care taken to map out the story, and then a little bit too "ta-dah!". I was always sceptical about the idea of a smaller number of longer episodes, and I am still not convinced by it. It looks like the "overrun" time across all of series 8 was only just over an hour (the first two eps were under an hour) so in reality this was a 7 "regular" episode season vs the usual 10. I do not get the rationale behind the decision to condense things in that way.

ETA: S8 was supposedly the second half of S7, but to that: knob off! If you're going to make a season, make a proper length one. Don't fanny about.
Last edited by Greg66 on Tue May 21, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg66

Post by Greg66 @ Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am

Oh, and if Fatty George RR Martin manages to eat himself to death before finishing the seventh and final book in the series, which he has yet to start, I will be so fcuked off I may even write a letter of complaint to someone in a position of responsibility.
Greg66

Post by Turntable @ Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am

How odd.
I thought the war against the dead was one of the best episodes of tv ever.
I thought last nights episode was the single worst episode of the whole 8 seasons.
It was just booooooooorrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggggg and so fcuking bland.
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • The baddies die, the goodies all live and nothing at all happens and the most irrelevant character of any tv show ever in history inexplicably becomes king of fcuking everything for absolutely no reason whatsoever.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Greg66 @ Tue May 21, 2019 10:14 am

Oh well. There's always The Walking Dead.
Greg66

Post by desertweasel @ Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 am

It felt a little like your last day in a contract job, after all those years of careful character development it's just, "lets wrap this up and go to the pub". I actually enjoyed it but then I a big fan and giving them more leeway than they deserve.

I do wonder if this is the actual end of the books and that is why GRRM refuses to finish/release the final books
desertweasel

Post by S1K @ Tue May 21, 2019 10:52 am

• why didn’t Arya’s face-swapping or Bran’s warging abilities have any impact whatsoever on the storyline? What was the point of them ever existing if they were just going to be ignored as skills?
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 21, 2019 10:59 am

S1K wrote:
    • why didn’t Arya’s face-swapping or Bran’s warging abilities have any impact whatsoever on the storyline? What was the point of them ever existing if they were just going to be ignored as skills?
Don't get me wrong, it wasn't faultless - and these points bugged the tits off me too. But I think we're probably being more critical of this than we would be of many other programs, just because it's been so very good until now.

When I think back to some other shows I've enjoyed and invested a lot of time into the characters of:

Dexter - utterly ruined by the finale, by the last series and the last episode and the last epilogue scene in particular.

Castle - utterly ruined by literally the final two minutes of the finale after eight excellent serieses.

If you want to see how to end a programme then watch Justified. The finale was just perfect. In fact, just watch Justified anyway because it's brilliant.

e: I forgot to actually make my point! Most other programs are essentially a tombola of wildly varying quality over their years. S1ko mentioned TWD, and that's a prime example - utterly squandering audience goodwill by endlessly trumping on about nothing. GOT has set itself an incredibly high bar, and while I'm still cross and let down that it seems to have short-changed itself and its audience in a headlong rush to the finish, it has only really faltered in comparison to how good it used to be.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by DI Burnside @ Tue May 21, 2019 11:11 am

I enjoyed the whole thing for what it was you crybabies.
DI Burnside

Post by S1K @ Tue May 21, 2019 11:17 am

Any Star Wars fans here? Apparently Davids Benioff and Weiss are going to ruin that next.
S1K

Post by CJ+ @ Tue May 21, 2019 11:48 am

The remake of Battlestar Galactica was great but the last episode was utter wank on a truly cosmic scale.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue May 21, 2019 8:45 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Don't get me wrong, it wasn't faultless - and these points bugged the tits off me too. But I think we're probably being more critical of this than we would be of many other programs, just because it's been so very good until now.

GOT has set itself an incredibly high bar, and while I'm still cross and let down that it seems to have short-changed itself and its audience in a headlong rush to the finish, it has only really faltered in comparison to how good it used to be.

I am completely unable to watch anything critically, but Damo pretty much sums up how I feel. I got into GoT late, but I've utterly loved it, even having read all the books and there's usually a bit of me which sits there thinking 'the book explained that better'.

It was only tonight that I was able to watch the finale for reasons, and I've been desperately avoiding spoilers which pretty much meant not looking at Facebook, Twitter, Apple news and slightly looking away just in case at most other online stuff. Side note: seriously - could some sites not have given a couple of days before posting huge spoilary headlines literally the same day, FFS?

It would have been a million times better if they had done this series over two normal series. But I cannot get upset about the actual ending for the characters because I think it was spot on.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Ok. I’ve checked something and there actually is a genuine thing about the final ep that is pissong me off.

• It’s not “King Bran the Broken”. It should be “King Brandon the Broken”. It doesn’t fcuking matter how a person’s name is abbreviated in use: when they ascend to a monarchy they ought to use their full name. I think that’s lazy scripting
Greg66

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue May 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Greg66 wrote:Ok. I’ve checked something and there actually is a genuine thing about the final ep that is pissong me off.

• It’s not “King Bran the Broken”. It should be “King Brandon the Broken”. It doesn’t fcuking matter how a person’s name is abbreviated in use: when they ascend to a monarchy they ought to use their full name. I think that’s lazy scripting

Whose monarchy are you judging that by?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Greg66 @ Wed May 22, 2019 9:15 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Greg66 wrote:Ok. I’ve checked something and there actually is a genuine thing about the final ep that is pissong me off.

Whose monarchy are you judging that by?

Mine!!!

(It’s more based on how the books are written).
Greg66

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am

I'm still not watching this but that seems an incredible thing to be upset about Greg, I mean Gregory, it's made me really not want to try again with this Dragon baby fest.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 am

I watched the first episode of Hatton Garden on ITV last night. I loved the King of Thieves and have high hopes for this show - I'm hoping it fills in more details on the investigation - so far so good.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Turntable @ Wed May 22, 2019 10:23 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

I'm still not watching this but that seems an incredible thing to be upset about Greg, I mean Gregory, it's made me really not want to try again with this Dragon baby fest.

:biglaugh: and completely agree.
Turntable

Post by Greg66 @ Wed May 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Turntable wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

:biglaugh: and completely agree.

Kind of. But it’s like this. You go for a long walk on a shit day in terrible weather wearing the wrong clothes. All sorts of things are not right about it. But the one thing that really needles at you is the small stone in your shoe.
Greg66

Post by span @ Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 pm

I know I don't add much to got discussions as I've only watched about ten of them, but...
    • isn't he the most annoying one? As well as having one of the conspicuously modern names, which is jarring, everything I've seen him do is just sit around and after it's all over go "yeah, exactly as I already knew it would happen...". What a dweeb.

Did anybody see the Netflix stuff on Ted Bundy? There was a documentary and the same director did a film about it, more from the point of view of his girlfriend I think, so it didn't feature the actual murders and was more about how he convinced and charmed people.

Anyway, my #hottake is that the seventies were hopeless. TB could just pop from state to state, doing murders, and without any centralised system of police communication, that kept him out of trouble.

Also it seems like serial killers weren't really discovered before TB, whereas now movies have made us all experts, so the fact he was creepy AF didn't occur to anyone.

I wasn't going to spoiler this because, come on everyone, but just in case, this bit contains actual dialogue from towards the end....
    • The way he was treated by the judge who sentenced him to death was astonishing - the judge was charmed to bits by TB and clearly thrown by him being an articulate and well-presented white man. After describing his crimes as atrocious, shockingly evil, etc etc, he said stuff like "Take care of yourself young man, I say that to you sincerely ... I have no animosity to you, I want you to know that" and went on about how he'd have enjoyed it if TB had been a lawyer instead of brutally murdering dozens of young women, because then they could have been friends at work!
span

Post by CJ+ @ Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Actually, #span, serial killers reached their peak in the late 80s, presumably caused by LA hair metal and early gangsta rap.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Wed May 22, 2019 2:06 pm

span wrote: it seems like serial killers weren't really discovered before TB,

Jack the Ripper?
Moors Murders?
Belle Guiness?
H.H.Holmes?

to pick a few
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by S1K @ Wed May 22, 2019 2:09 pm

I think that part of the reason that Tedward Bundy got away with it for so long was that he wasn’t creepy as fcuk, in fact quite the opposite. He was an attractive and charming man who found it easy to persuade women to help him, and subsequently to lure them to their deaths.

Anyway, I think he was wrong to do what he did and I’m surprised that anyone here would support him in his endeavours.
S1K

Post by desertweasel @ Thu May 23, 2019 8:39 am

CJ+ wrote:Actually, #span, serial killers reached their peak in the late 80s, presumably caused by LA hair metal and early gangsta rap.

Isn't there a theory that the murder rate in the US in the 70s and 80s, including serial killings, were at least partially caused by lead poisoning at a young age especially from leaded gas? The murder rate has been falling ever since unleaded fuel was made compulsory.
desertweasel

Post by span @ Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 am

I explained my point very poorly there. What I meant was, Ted Bundy's classic type of serial killer is such a staple in popular culture that we're aware of the template he fits so well, really far too aware of it considering how rare those types of criminals are. The idea of the manipulative, intelligent and charming psychopath is familiar to us, and you hopefully wouldn't see a judge charmed in that way by someone like that these days.

I worded it badly but I meant the idea of the 'serial killer' came about around that time, not the killers themselves. I think it was in the seventies that that term was coined, as before there wasn't the distinction between a mass murderer, and a serial killer who would commit a series of crimes as the need for satisfaction kept coming back.

S1K wrote:I think that part of the reason that Tedward Bundy got away with it for so long was that he wasn’t creepy as fcuk, in fact quite the opposite. He was an attractive and charming man who found it easy to persuade women to help him, and subsequently to lure them to their deaths.

I think you have a point here, from the young women's point of view meeting him once he probably wasn't creepy. When I said that, I think I was seeing it from my modern person's perspective on footage of people in the seventies, i.e. lots of creepy men and hopeless-seeming women.
span

Post by S1K @ Sat May 25, 2019 4:24 pm

What we do in the shadows, written by Jemaine Clement from the Conchords and Taika Waititi, and based on their 2014 film of the same name. It’s about vampires, it’s funny and it’s got Matt Berry in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_We_Do_in_the_Shadows_(TV_series)

Episodes 3 and 4 are on tomorrow night on BBC2.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -1-1-pilot
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat May 25, 2019 4:37 pm

I watched the first one of those and mildly enjoyed it, like I did the original film tbh. Enough to have not minded watching it, but not so much that I won't mind not watching it.

e: Matt Berry was pretty ace though, as always.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat May 25, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Sat May 25, 2019 5:26 pm

I'm excited to see that, especially as I realised this week it has Tash Demetriou in it, who is one of the funniest ever of Adam Buxton's podcast interviewees, IMO.

Also love the rest of them that are in it, of course. I watched the film and was underwhelmed, but I think I must have been in the wrong state of mind* as I'm sure I would / should have loved it.

* >does the british sign language for 'drinky'<
span

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club