What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:47 pm

Currently halfway-ish through Black Mirror. Good so far. Enjoyed them all so far (just watched the Ashley one).
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:22 pm

thekungfury wrote:Good Omens on Amazon Prime

Based on the Terry Pratchett book I haven’t read it follows a demon (David Tennant) and an angel (Michael Sheen) bungling through the arrival of the antichrist and subsequent apocalypse.

Reminds me of the old Hitchhiker’s Guide TV series which is A Good Thing. I’m about 3-4 episodes in and it’s very enjoyable.

The book is superb, one of my all time faves.
Deuteronomy

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:

Based on the Terry Pratchett book I haven’t read it follows a demon (David Tennant) and an angel (Michael Sheen) bungling through the arrival of the antichrist and subsequent apocalypse.

Reminds me of the old Hitchhiker’s Guide TV series which is A Good Thing. I’m about 3-4 episodes in and it’s very enjoyable.

The series is dead good however I imagine that Pratchett fans, and I say this with massive condescension, will probably pick holes with it.
thekungfury

Post by desertweasel @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:

The series is dead good however I imagine that Pratchett fans, and I say this with massive condescension, will probably pick holes with it.

The book was also co-written by Neil Gaiman (American gods etc) so was always a little different, I think that a lot of the success of the series is that it was written by Gaiman and he was clearly a huge Terry Pratchett fan.
desertweasel

Post by span @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 pm

CJ+ wrote:Currently halfway-ish through Black Mirror. Good so far. Enjoyed them all so far (just watched the Ashley one).

There are only three this series aren't there?

Can you please warn if any of those you've seen are bleak and depressing? I love a good Black Mirror but I hate a bleak one so much.
span

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:33 pm

They’re all a bit bleak aren’t they, ultimately?
thekungfury

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:59 pm

thekungfury wrote:They’re all a bit bleak aren’t they, ultimately?

The Ashley one has a fun ending.
CJ+

Post by ttwiggy @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:29 pm

span wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Currently halfway-ish through Black Mirror. Good so far. Enjoyed them all so far (just watched the Ashley one).

There are only three this series aren't there?

Can you please warn if any of those you've seen are bleak and depressing? I love a good Black Mirror but I hate a bleak one so much.

First one is neither bleak nor uplifting. Second one is very bleak. Haven't seen the third one yet.
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm

I've just realised I still haven't finished the last series of Black Mirror, or watched Bandersnatch!

Did people watch BS several times to see all the different endings? I don't think I cba for that.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by NNK @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Excellent, I love the book. I need to look into Amazon now
NNK

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I've just realised I still haven't finished the last series of Black Mirror, or watched Bandersnatch!

Did people watch BS several times to see all the different endings? I don't think I cba for that.

We did a few but it always drives you down the route of the main ending.

There was one option to let the kid go with the mum and it instantly ends as you/he dies.
thekungfury

Post by DI Burnside @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:18 am

A couple of e's into Good Omens, quite enjoyable.

Anyone watched the first Year of the Rabbit ? Silly but bloody funny.
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 am

I watched E01 S02 of Big Little Lies last night. The first series was one of my favourites of all time and I was a bit concerned that the magic wouldn't be there for a second season, especially as there isn't a book behind it.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • S02 features Perry's mom coming to live in Monterey in an attempt to find out what happened to her son who was fatally pushed down a flight of stairs by Zoe Kravitz after he was unmasked as Jane's rapist and the batterer of his own wife, Celeste.

All of the characters are wrestling with demons in some way (apart from Jane, apparently) but Meryl Streep as Perry's mother is superb. All of the cast are superb in their own ways - I loved Nathan's angry advice-seeking from Ed which ended in him shouting 'snide prick!' across a crowded cafe - but she is terrifying, bonkers and hilarious by turns. Her putting Madeline back in her box was tremendous and the dinner scene. Well. If I was Celeste, I'd be sleeping with one eye open, that's for sure. I kept expecting to see MS recreating the scene from Paranormal Activity where Possessed Katie stands by Micah's bed and stares at him sleeping for five hours.

It's still all very pleasing to look at, the kids are all just the right side of slappably precocious and the music is great.

Posting this article about BLL and diegetic music from 2017 because it's really interesting.

Top banana. Can't wait for next week.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by span @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:48 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I watched E01 S02 of Big Little Lies last night. The first series was one of my favourites of all time and I was a bit concerned that the magic wouldn't be there for a second season, especially as there isn't a book behind it.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • S02 features Perry's mom coming to live in Monterey in an attempt to find out what happened to her son who was fatally pushed down a flight of stairs by Zoe Kravitz after he was unmasked as Jane's rapist and the batterer of his own wife, Celeste.

All of the characters are wrestling with demons in some way (apart from Jane, apparently) but Meryl Streep as Perry's mother is superb. All of the cast are superb in their own ways - I loved Nathan's angry advice-seeking from Ed which ended in him shouting 'snide prick!' across a crowded cafe - but she is terrifying, bonkers and hilarious by turns. Her putting Madeline back in her box was tremendous and the dinner scene. Well. If I was Celeste, I'd be sleeping with one eye open, that's for sure. I kept expecting to see MS recreating the scene from Paranormal Activity where Possessed Katie stands by Micah's bed and stares at him sleeping for five hours.

It's still all very pleasing to look at, the kids are all just the right side of slappably precocious and the music is great.

Posting this article about BLL and diegetic music from 2017 because it's really interesting.

Top banana. Can't wait for next week.

I agree totally with all of this.

I was worried that Meryl would have been shoe-horned in because if she was up for it, who wouldn't make room for Meryl? But her character is fantastic, utterly believable and she's brilliant in it as always (reminds me a little bit of how brilliant she was in August: Osage County).

I was so excited to be watching it again - in advance I had the season one soundtrack on (which I often do actually) and watched the last episode of season 1 as Prep - and I wasn't disappointed, it was a solid start.
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:50 am

Watched Years and Years last night. It’s rubbish. I’ve concluded that Russell T Davies is the most trite, mawkish writer.
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:54 am

Doctor Congo wrote:Watched Years and Years last night. It’s rubbish. I’ve concluded that Russell T Davies is the most trite, mawkish writer.

Oh really? I haven't watched any of this but was tempted. I think I have always liked Russell T Davies things in the past but that's going back to Queer As Folk and some Dr Who. I can imagine I might find his style a bit RussellTDaviesy these days.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:36 am

span wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:Watched Years and Years last night. It’s rubbish. I’ve concluded that Russell T Davies is the most trite, mawkish writer.

Oh really? I haven't watched any of this but was tempted. I think I have always liked Russell T Davies things in the past but that's going back to Queer As Folk and some Dr Who. I can imagine I might find his style a bit RussellTDaviesy these days.
I've double-billed the first couple of episodes and loved it. Itching to found time to power through some more, really really enjoyed it - even if, yes, it is a bit RTD right on.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:37 am

Terribly, I haven't even started on BLL2 yet. But I did go and see Godzilla last night, so...
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
span wrote:

I've double-billed the first couple of episodes and loved it. Itching to found time to power through some more, really really enjoyed it - even if, yes, it is a bit RTD right on.

It’s difficult to put my finger in but it’s absurd how convenient and unrealistic the narrative is at times and I find it irritating though Emma Thompson is very good and her character well written.
Doctor Congo

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 pm

DI Burnside wrote:A couple of e's into Good Omens, quite enjoyable.

Finished this last night. Enjoyed it muchly. Except for the kids acting. They were pretty terrible.
Greg66

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Span, have you watched e2 of BLL yet?
Clown Ice Skater #4

Previous

Return to Nervy's Culture Club