What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:Is Season 2 of American Gods worth the effort?

Despite being a huge fan of the book, I couldn't get on with the TV series at all and didn't finish watching S1. If S1 finished where the book did (and I assume it must do), then I can't see what could be in S2 worth watching.

Sorry, not helpful.

Not having read the books, I still kind of get the feeling they were running out of ideas.

Started watching Enemy Within last night and not sure, it seems like a mash up of Blacklist & Blindspot.. don't know we'll get to the end.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by span @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:01 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
span wrote:Clown I watched BBL last night, and it was a corker!

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • So many lies came out!! Big ones!!

I really loved it. At points I worry that it's been designed to please fans rather than be brilliant TV in its own right - particularly as I beamed and laughed at Madeline being brilliant and funny and ace, and teared up at Celeste and Jane bringing the boys together at the end. And Renata is being SO cartoonishly Renata but then she was anyway I suppose...

Meryl continues to delight. The writing and Meryling of that character is perfect.

Oh, and did Bonnie tell her stupid husband that she pushed Perry? I didn't quite catch that...

It was fabulous, wasn't it?

• Renata shrieking 'I will not not be rich!!!' was a high point, I think. That scene with Celeste telling Meryl about Perry's violence and Meryl refusing to accept or believe it because she didn't go to the police was so upsetting. And Ziggy said about Jane being 'salted' by Perry, not understanding about the rape - absolutely heartbreaking.

I loved that end scene too with Jane and Celeste and the boys. It was so sweet and made me tear up a bit as well.

I thought Bonnie's stupid husband knew that she had pushed Perry? I thought they all knew but I could be wrong.

I knew you'd appreciate it!

If I can just jump in on this BLL chat for a second... There's always been one thing that bothers me and that's Bonnie's choice of partner. She's played as this really intuitive, spiritual, earth-mother type and yet her husband is a total dick. He's the most awful type of cliched unthinking male. How did they ever get together? I know there's meant to be a lot more to come out about Bonnie so maybe that will explain things.

The more the merrier Twigs, I agree with you actually. I almost mentioned that earlier as I hope they don't capitalise on him being a dumbo this series.

Although the men are secondary characters, I find Renata's and Madeline's husbands totally believable, whereas Nathan's only 'thing' seems to be dimness. So their California dream home seems even more unlikely than the Californian dream homes of the other characters (I envy Madeline's kitchen so much with the two-level island - I was glancing around our living room last night trying to work out how enormous an island we could fit into it if we wanted)

And Clown...
    • I forgot but yes, the 'salted' bit was so upsetting, and just what you can imagine a young child thinking.

The bit with Meryl refusing to accept what Perry was like. The way she can be so motherly and so hostile at the same time. Soooo good.
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:15 pm

span wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:
If I can just jump in on this BLL chat for a second... There's always been one thing that bothers me and that's Bonnie's choice of partner. She's played as this really intuitive, spiritual, earth-mother type and yet her husband is a total dick. He's the most awful type of cliched unthinking male. How did they ever get together? I know there's meant to be a lot more to come out about Bonnie so maybe that will explain things.

The more the merrier Twigs, I agree with you actually. I almost mentioned that earlier as I hope they don't capitalise on him being a dumbo this series.

Although the men are secondary characters, I find Renata's and Madeline's husbands totally believable, whereas Nathan's only 'thing' seems to be dimness.

He was a dick to Madeline though when they were married. Bolded the relevant bit of your post because it is, in fact, exactly what's going to happen.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:58 pm

HappyGoLucky wrote:We've just finished Good Omens and Chernobyl, both excellent in very different ways.

Is Season 2 of American Gods worth the effort?

Not really TBH, it's a bit of a mess.
Deuteronomy

Post by Greg66 @ Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
HappyGoLucky wrote:We've just finished Good Omens and Chernobyl, both excellent in very different ways.

Is Season 2 of American Gods worth the effort?

Not really TBH, it's a bit of a mess.

I agree. Got a couple of eps in and interest evaporated.
Greg66

Post by DI Burnside @ Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Laugh

DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:15 pm

David Tennant is turning into Bill Nihy
ttwiggy

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:50 pm

I heard the new Tesla Model 3 was on Top Gear so watched it earlier. Christ what an awful show it is.

Presenters are now Paddy McGuinness, Freddie Flintoff and Chris Harris. So Cringeworthy and hateful.

I ended up fast forwarding to the Tesla bit, which was dull, and had to turn it off. It’s been years since I was a “car person” but this was like Mrs Brown’s Boys with engines. Dire
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm

I watched an episode a week or so ago with the new lot and thought it was pretty good! I’ll give the Tesla one a miss.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:49 pm

I've watched the two episodes so far of new new new Top Gear, and found them surprisingly alright. In spite of being utterly certain beforehand that McGuiness and Flintoff would be dreadful.

It's quite amusing in a weird mash-up-with-Jackass kind of way.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:26 pm

Lads and bants. Lads and bants.
thekungfury

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:42 am

Has anyone seen Catch 22? watched the first 5 and have the last 1 to watch tonight, reminded me how much I loved the book.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Dirk @ Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:00 am

HappyGoLucky wrote:Has anyone seen Catch 22? watched the first 5 and have the last 1 to watch tonight, reminded me how much I loved the book.

I've watched the first one. Vaguely enjoyable but doesn't really do justice to the book IMO - though to be fair I'm not sure they could do.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:46 am

Catch-22 is one of about three books (others include Ulysses and, cliche-tastically, War and Peace) that I just couldn't get to the end of, because I'd ceased giving a shit about the events and people and ideas contained therein.
Last edited by CJ+ on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
CJ+

Post by minimoog @ Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:32 am

CJ+ wrote:Catch-22 is one of about three books (others include Ulysses and, cliche-tastically, War and Peace) that I just couldn't get to the end of, because I'd ceased giving a shit about the events and people and ideas contained therein.

Same. Could never get away with it.
minimoog

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:48 am

minimoog wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Catch-22 is one of about three books (others include Ulysses and, cliche-tastically, War and Peace) that I just couldn't get to the end of, because I'd ceased giving a shit about the events and people and ideas contained therein.

Same. Could never get away with it.

I tried to read it (in fact, Ceej hated it so much he gave me his copy) and I also hated it. I think I gave it to a Polish waitress in a hotel in Bristol at one of the old CTF meets.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:53 am

Ha! I'd forgotten about that! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :D
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:16 pm

I watched the first part of the new Levinson Wood explorey programme last night; Arabia. Although it's upped sticks from Channel 4 and adventured off to Discovery Channel instead now.

His travel itinerary seems to be a straightforward list of all the most dangerous places in the world, frankly. Torn from headlines about militia fighters and the war against ISIS. And sure enough, before you even get chance to say "oh, he's going in cats - this isn't another one of his walking adventures then?", he's caught up in the middle of firefights in the desert and interviewing a snippet with 343 confirmed kills.

Rather you than me, Lev mate.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by NNK @ Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:26 pm

I'm struggling with Catch 22 series as I did with the book.
I think I have made 3 attempts at the book over the years and not got past halfway. I hoped the series would captivate me as the book is supposed to have done with millions of others but ……..
NNK

Post by NNK @ Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:28 pm

New Top Gear, I'm not a fan.
I quite liked the Le Blanc, Harris, Other series but I'm struggling now. I'm in agreement with TKF, its too laddish.
NNK

Post by S1K @ Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:34 pm

NNK wrote:New Top Gear, I'm not a fan.
I quite liked the Le Blanc, Harris, Other series but I'm struggling now. I'm in agreement with TKF, its too laddish.

I haven’t even watched it and I’m in agreement with both of you. Why would you make a TV show about cars with two of three presenters not knowing the first thing about cars? Flintoff and McGuiness come across as being the proudly ignorant type too and while I would never condemn anyone out of hand for not having the brains of an archbishop I can’t stomach people who wear their idiocy as a badge of honour.
S1K

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:02 pm

TG not getting much love here! I must be shallow and immature. I've just watched the hearse one. As a motoring programme it's a fail. As simple moderately puerile entertainment (the best kind) it is excellent.
Greg66

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:14 pm

I've been meaning to post about the hearse ep of Top Gear. What absolute shit. Morons, being stupid. Juvenile and unfunny.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by NNK @ Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Hearse show is playing here on Sunday so the ads/shorts are coming thick and fast.
Paddy was at his limit on Take Me Out I thought so a big no for TG IMO.
NNK

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:21 pm

I watched the last Black Mirror tonight. I have to say, I’ve not been impressed with this series, the Miley Cyrus episode (while fun in a way and I actually liked her character a lot) felt like a less adept copy of the one where the bereaved wife gets a walking talking model of her dead husband made from his social media posts.

Disappointing.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:55 am

I’m catching up on Black Mirrors. Not sure which series I’m on, maybe 5 or 6. The budget and production since they went to NF has improved but tbh I’m finding the stories a little stale compared to the originals.

Some of the ideas are good (Street Fighter VR shagging) but the actual execution seems dragged out.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:12 am

I'm a long way behind on Black Mirror, and I think that's borne out of how it just feels less essential now. Less special. I don't know why though. USS Callister was terrific, but I think that's the last one I saw.

Like so many things, there's too much "quality" telly to watch now, and you've got to be pretty ruthless when you've only got an hour or two every evening.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:50 am

I liked the last season of BM but it definitely feels like a less extraordinary programme now. In previous serieses, I used to find some episodes fantastic, some disappointing and some so bleak I wished I could undo watching it.

This had none of those. I didn't find any of them disappointing at all and I'd watch another series the same, but none were brilliant like USS Callister, San Junipero, etc.

Has anyone watched Stath Lets Flats? I haven't watched any more than one episode and some clips so far, but after becoming briefly obsessed via podcasts with Tash / Natasia Demetriou and her brother Jamie Demetriou (whose programme this is, but they're both in it), I think it looks brilliant and am not allowed to access it on On Demand or any of that which makes me want to see it even more desperately!
span

Post by NNK @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I've been meaning to post about the hearse ep of Top Gear. What absolute shit. Morons, being stupid. Juvenile and unfunny.

My thoughts too.
Chris Harris was a motoring journalist before I believe.
The money must be good to become the 'idiots plaything' on TG. Obv staged but I dont think I would have been happy about a water melon smashed on my head.

I am enjoying Good Omens though, rationing episodes each day is difficult.
NNK

Post by Dirk @ Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:57 am

Good omens was good. In large part down to the lead actors IMHO
Dirk

Highscores: 5

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club