What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by span @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:02 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
span wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:OMGoodness!

S4 of The Good Place starts next Friday!

Ooh brilliant!!! I do LOVE autumn don't you?

Definitely.

I'm even looking forward to the celebrity/champion X Factors that start next month.

I sort of envy you on that. Mr Span won't have it any more, but I remember those days fondly when Saturday used to mean a tasty dinner and settling in front of proper Saturday night TV set in a big whizzy studio.

We finished Unbelievable last night, which means it was three or four late nights of unusual binging for us. It was very affecting yet despite some extremely moving / sad / uplifting moments, it stayed clear of tear-jerking. It was powerful in a different way to how crime and police procedure programmes usually are.

• SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • Two extremely affecting bits of several from the finale: the arrest, which was in every way low key, but so powerful in the context of what it means to everyone involved. And when young Marie, finally vindicated and with a bit of money behind her to start over, passes her driving test and asks a stranger to take a photo to commemorate it. She looks happy for what you realise is the first time in the programme, and you do actually care.
span

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am

I am going to watch Unbelievable now too.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:41 am

Literally every night I say to Mrs Thorn "let's start 'Unbelievable' tonight", and literally every night in reply there is some reason or other why not. Sigh!

I might have to watch it without her if this persists.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:08 pm

I’ve just binge-watched three episodes of Unbelievable. It’s astonishing. So often in TV and film, rape is used as a plot device or it’s treated in a prurient way or it’s somehow incidental. This is one of the few times I’ve seen it portrayed on the screen in a way which isn’t any of the former.

It’s a pretty harrowing watch - I don’t mind admitting that I got angry 15 minutes into the first episode then cried well before the end, cried a bit in the second episode and also in the third. But it’s SO good.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 am

We gave up on unbelievable after one episode. Found it quite boring , disappointing as it got great reviews. It certainly helps make you appreciate the horror that is faced not only during but after a rape.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:56 pm

The first episode is quite depressing and not a lot else happens, but it really picks up after that.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Well, I begrudgingly trudged through to the end of The Boys as much to see if Urban got any better at accents as anything else, but he didn’t. It was fine but don’t think I’ll bother with season 2.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:09 pm

CJ+ wrote:Trudged through the first (and likely only) season of Another Life over the weekend and this week.

It's like Big Brother in space. Katee Sackhoff and Selma Blair are good, but everything else about it is wank. It's not fit to lick the soles of The Expanse's shoes.

ETA: it doesn't help that the science in this science-fiction thing is absolute bollocks. I mean I'm all for a bit of suspension of disbelief etc, but fcuk me, this is on a whole other level.

Unfortunately watched this rubbish. The script is terrible, acting awful, characters unbelievably irritating particularly the trans doctor who’s perhaps the most useless and unconvincing doctor in history.
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:39 pm

Started watching Hanna today. Dad trains daughter up to be a badass like a Nordic female Bourne. Confusingly it has the two main characters from The Killing but they’re playing different people and I’m tired. Planning on sticking it out for a few more.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
CJ+ wrote:Trudged through the first (and likely only) season of Another Life over the weekend and this week.

It's like Big Brother in space. Katee Sackhoff and Selma Blair are good, but everything else about it is wank. It's not fit to lick the soles of The Expanse's shoes.

ETA: it doesn't help that the science in this science-fiction thing is absolute bollocks. I mean I'm all for a bit of suspension of disbelief etc, but fcuk me, this is on a whole other level.

Unfortunately watched this rubbish. The script is terrible, acting awful, characters unbelievably irritating particularly the trans doctor who’s perhaps the most useless and unconvincing doctor in history.

I think I managed about half of the first episode before it’s appallingness made me stop.

If you want to see something even more gobsmackingly worse, take a look at The I-Land on NF. Its so bad I suspect it may become a classic.
GingerNinja

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:We gave up on unbelievable after one episode. Found it quite boring , disappointing as it got great reviews. It certainly helps make you appreciate the horror that is faced not only during but after a rape.

It’s a show with two halves - the police investigation, and the one victim story. I found the victim story quite boring so just skipped through those bits and ended watching a quite good cop drama.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:15 am

As you well know, I'm no fan of sitcoms*, or even comedy generally, But I do hugely heart Walton Goggins, and now there's a sitcom coming with him in which looks endearing. It's The Unicorn:

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI9HtyuexBk

*The Good Place is the obv and massive exception, ofc.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:34 am

Damien Thorn wrote:As you well know, I'm no fan of sitcoms*, or even comedy generally, But I do hugely heart Walton Goggins, and now there's a sitcom coming with him in which looks endearing. It's The Unicorn:

I well heart WG too - ever since Justified.
Last edited by Deuteronomy on Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deuteronomy

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:13 am

I hearted him in The Shield.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:26 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:As you well know, I'm no fan of sitcoms*, or even comedy generally, But I do hugely heart Walton Goggins, and now there's a sitcom coming with him in which looks endearing. It's The Unicorn:

I well heart WG too - ever since Justified.
Justified was such a brilliant programme.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by minornut @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:24 pm

The Good Place season 4 is now on Netflix.
minornut

Highscores: 2

Post by span @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:55 pm

minornut wrote:The Good Place season 4 is now on Netflix.

Brilliant!!! I'm so excited to see this. Presumably one per week like previously? Which is kind of good when they're so short.

At the moment each night we're watching an episode of Succession (brilliant, though almost everyone in it is horrible - Matthew MacFadyen is particularly brilliant at being the WORST) followed by a This Is Us which is just so lovely, my favourite thing ever, ever thankful to Dibs for the recommendation.
span

Post by stuart @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:07 pm

span wrote:

Brilliant!!! I'm so excited to see this. Presumably one per week like previously? Which is kind of good when they're so short.

At the moment each night we're watching an episode of Succession (brilliant, though almost everyone in it is horrible - Matthew MacFadyen is particularly brilliant at being the WORST) followed by a This Is Us which is just so lovely, my favourite thing ever, ever thankful to Dibs for the recommendation.

Where are you watching THis Is Us?

I looked for it on Amazon but just got a documentary series about One Direction and it can't possibly be that.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:40 pm

stuart wrote:
span wrote:

Where are you watching THis Is Us?

I looked for it on Amazon but just got a documentary series about One Direction and it can't possibly be that.

Seasons 1 and 2 are on Prime.

span look !

tiu.jpg
tiu.jpg (12.61 KiB) Viewed 405 times
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by minornut @ Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:01 pm

span wrote:

Is Succession on Netflix?
minornut

Post by span @ Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:50 am

minornut wrote:
span wrote:

Is Succession on Netflix?

Succession is HBO / Sky Atlantic, and This Is Us on Amazon Prime. I really do think they make a great double bill if you have time, because the first is extraordinarily good with its cast of awful characters being relentlessly shit to each other, and the second is heartwarming, charming and wonderful.
span

Post by dirtyboy @ Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:15 am

Bit of a random one here....

Wife and I watched Outnumbered on BBC iPlayer not so long back and thoroughly enjoyed it, simple but nice easy watching....

..as a result of that, it recommended 2 Doors Down as something we try.

We watched the first one and I was pretty unimpressed to be honest, apart from one moment with a drunk woman and a gazebo, but we persevered with the next episode and although a few characters disappeared immediately and actors changed, and I actually really enjoyed it and we binged the rest in short time.
dirtyboy

Post by Auslander @ Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Last edited by Auslander on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auslander

Post by Dirk @ Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:58 am

Auslander wrote:Started watching 'World on Fire' a drama about the early days of WW2.

Looks very promising so far - some tense moments and story building nicely.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0008zv1

The trailer I saw made it sound like the series was more about people's love lifes and WW2 was merely a backdrop.

Is that the case?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Auslander @ Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:45 pm

Last edited by Auslander on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auslander

Post by Turntable @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 am

Just watched the two-part series 'I love you, now die' , a documentary about that American girl who had encouraged her boyfriend to commit suicide.
I thought it was superb. Extremely well done and very interesting. I don't want to say much more about it until others have watched it, but watch it okay?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:42 am

I watched that Simon Reeve and part 1 of The Americas last night.

Quite interesting as it showed how big a polluter Canada was. I was amazed as I'd always thought they were super clean.
Not sure about the host as he has an annoying habit of asking a question then repeating their answer in a surprised tone. Every time.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by stuart @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Raising Dion

Binged it over 2 nights. It's really good!

About a single mum whose kid has superpowers.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:18 pm

Did anyone see Grand Designs last night? Good grief it was disaster TV.
ttwiggy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:48 pm

Apart from the default poorly-at-home viewing of Homes Under The Hammer, I've been trying to finish a few things and catch up on others.

So I finished Titans, and really enjoyed the whole series even though I feel mildly embarrassed that I suspect it was made for teens angry that the DC superhero movies have let them down. It starts off really try-hard adult and dark, but calms down a lot and concentrates more on plot and some character business.

Unlike The Boys, it feels more like teen stuff forced to grow up rather than adult drama filtered through a superhero lens.

Also, I caned the entire second series of Ash Vs Evil Dead, which is ace and better even than the first series. And even the first series was much better than it had any business being.

Utterly stupendous gore riot riddled with the dryest, stupidest, coolest one liners you can imagine. Groovy.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club