What have you watched on telly?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: What have you watched on telly?

Post by Greg66 @ Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:38 pm

For All Mankind

Loving it. Properly evocative of the period. And I love a “What if?”.

Highly recommended.
Greg66

Post by Turntable @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:40 pm

span wrote:grrrr I can't believe you TT!! I've been blathering on about stath to absolute silence.

Jamie Demetriou is ace isn't he, and so is his sister. I frequently relisten to Tash Demetriou's episodes (there are two of them) on Adam Buxton's podcasts, I laugh my absolute head off at them. But I remind myself that men can frequently be just as funny as women, so I do follow Jamie too.

I did a long reply to this and then minimised it and then closed it before submitting.
Anyway, you weren't forceful enough. Your blathering about Stath Lets Flats consisted of
1) Ive got Stath Lets Flats to Watch
2) Ive started watching it now
3) I really liked it but my other half didn't.

Nobody is ever going to watch anything with that kind of lukewarm wishy-washy nothingness.
Stath is fcuking brilliant. I have watched both series three times now and not only am I not bored, It gets funnier and funnier and you notice new funny bits every time. There are more classic lines than The Office and I am amazed it hasn't been universally watched.
It demands a second viewing purely because the first couple of episodes are a touch 'meh' when you don't know the characters and hilarious when you do. GO back and watch the scene where he tried to get the pigeon out in episode 1. Had me crying second time round whilst curiously indifferent first time around.
Last edited by Turntable on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I'm itching to watch 3, from this week. I just need more time!

I just watched Watchmen episode 3. Utterly brilliant. Somehow even better than the first two episodes, both of which I loved. This ep was jam packed with tiny details that allude to the original comic story, as well as just generally being a cool hour of excellent telly. Fab. Cannot wait for the next one. If ever there was a show I wanted to binge through the whole series of, it's this.

Yes. All of this.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by DI Burnside @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:11 pm

I'm finding it mesmerising to watch but I don't have much of a clue what's going on.

I assume you either need to know the back story already by watching something else to fully understand what it's all about or they're going to reveal more things as it goes on.
DI Burnside

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:32 pm

DI Burnside wrote:I'm finding it mesmerising to watch but I don't have much of a clue what's going on.

I assume you either need to know the back story already by watching something else to fully understand what it's all about or they're going to reveal more things as it goes on.
The basis is the comic book from 1987(?), and it completely ignores the film from around 2009.

But as it's set in 2019, thirty odd years after the self-contained comic story, there's very little actual plot crossover. So far there have been two* of the old characters appear, and mention of several more from the old story. But it's set in the same universe, and that's a universe that makes more sense if you're familiar with it from the comic.

*possibly three, as one appeared on TV and may also be under our noses in disguise.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:37 pm

You can also look at the Peteypedia, which is an accompanying website which publishes the notes of FBI Agent Petey. Who was the slide projector operator taken to Tulsa with Agent Laurie Blake* in episode 3.

*a character from the original comic, although now using a different name.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:51 pm

I never read the comic nor knew it existed before I watched the film. I imagine it enhances current viewing but I don't feel I'm missing out or that it's 100% necessary to enjoying it as a standalone.

I had to look up the Jeremy Irons character but didn't mind not knowing who he was because the acting is so tremendously ott that I could happily just watch a series of him doing things around his stately home.
thekungfury

Post by span @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Turntable wrote:Stath is fcuking brilliant.

I'll turn the upper cheek to your unkindness and just agree with you, Stath is really brilliant and everyone should realise it like we do.
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
DI Burnside wrote:I'm finding it mesmerising to watch but I don't have much of a clue what's going on.

The basis is the comic book from 1987(?), and it completely ignores the film from around 2009.

But as it's set in 2019, thirty odd years after the self-contained comic story, there's very little actual plot crossover. So far there have been two* of the old characters appear, and mention of several more from the old story. But it's set in the same universe, and that's a universe that makes more sense if you're familiar with it from the comic.

*possibly three, as one appeared on TV and may also be under our noses in disguise.

The comic book was quite similar to the film apart from the end, it’s worth watching to find out who the characters are I guess but I agree the comic novel was amazing
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:05 pm

I've just realised that Dibs must have been wtf-ing at the blue penis.
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:07 pm

thekungfury wrote:I've just realised that Dibs must have been wtf-ing at the blue penis.
And the big blue dildo.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:08 pm

When I went to see the film at the cinema with some friends, afterwards all one of them could say was "big blue cock!" over and over.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:09 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

The comic book was quite similar to the film apart from the end, it’s worth watching to find out who the characters are I guess but I agree the comic novel was amazing
Yes, although if you only saw the film you'd have no idea about the importance of the squid.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:12 pm

thekungfury wrote:I never read the comic nor knew it existed before I watched the film. I imagine it enhances current viewing but I don't feel I'm missing out or that it's 100% necessary to enjoying it as a standalone.

I had to look up the Jeremy Irons character but didn't mind not knowing who he was because the acting is so tremendously ott that I could happily just watch a series of him doing things around his stately home.
I agree the series is just tremendously enjoyable, but being able to relate it back to events from the comic book adds a lot of depth.

Done if those events are also true from the film ofc, but not all.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Yes, although if you only saw the film you'd have no idea about the importance of the squid.

Well yes, that was the big divergence, and I could never get why the film changed it
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:46 pm

To annoy dweebs
thekungfury

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Right, come on! Let's talk about episode 4 and any theories / questions.

Look:

Where is Veidt? Imprisoned somewhere, he says. Where? And who's holding him? I think it's either Lady Trieu or Dr Manhattan. If the latter, then I bet he's on Mars - which would explain why his attempt to trebuchet Phillips to freedom ended in frozen disaster. And if he's trapped in a Manhattan-controlled bubble on Mars, that might explain where the clones disappeared to when catapulted into the clouds in episode 4.

But what about Lady Trieu? We know she can create actual babies, so is she behind the lake full of feotuses Veidt was harvesting? And how does her golden statue of him look like he does NOW?

Was Sister Night's car electromagneted away by one of Trueu's hovercraft? And if so, why? And why then drop it at the feet of Agent Blake?

Also! What's with Veidt and the birthday cakes? One more candle each time. Are we seeing Veidt only fleetingly once a year? Is our view of Veidt catching up with the main story timeline since his disappearance in 2013? What happens when he reaches concurrence?

I have no idea what's going on, but there clearly is A LOT going on and plenty of clues being given. I'm very excited to find out.

What a programme.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Ep4 watchmen spoilers follow (shame on you DaTho for not spoilering your post!)

I hadn’t considered lady trieu and the cloning connection. I reckon he’s on Mars anyway under lock n key of sorts by Dr Manhattan. Pretty sure he never forgave him for the alien squid slaughter (also happy to note this series is following on from the graphic novel and not the films ending). I wonder whether Ozy was up to more shenanigans and DM stepped in. Liking the aging Ms Jupiter character too.

What do we think Lady Trieus tower is for and what fell out of the sky and that farm she just acquired? I like they’ve kept some good comic level mystery in without it feeling ridiculous, despite it all being quite mad. I mean, a pond full of cloned newborns that Ozy catches like lobster. Insane!
Last edited by GingerNinja on Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:46 pm

Also, I believe The Mandalorian premieres tonight on the Disney streaming channel. I’ll be, errrrrr, aquiring a copy tomorrow morning I expect. That ought to be ace.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:07 pm

GingerNinja wrote:Ep4 watchmen spoilers follow (shame on you DaTho for not spoilering your post!)

I hadn’t considered lady trieu and the cloning connection. I reckon he’s on Mars anyway under lock n key of sorts by Dr Manhattan. Pretty sure he never forgave him for the alien squid slaughter (also happy to note this series is following on from the graphic novel and not the films ending). I wonder whether Ozy was up to more shenanigans and DM stepped in. Liking the aging Ms Jupiter character too.

What do we think Lady Trieus tower is for and what fell out of the sky and that farm she just acquired? I like they’ve kept some good comic level mystery in without it feeling ridiculous, despite it all being quite mad. I mean, a pond full of cloned newborns that Ozy catches like lobster. Insane!
I didn't bother shouldering because I literally didn't give anything away. At this stage it's all questions and no answers, so all I've got is conjecture.

e: intrigued by Lady Trieu's desperate acquisition of the farm just in time to "own" whatever fell out of the sky onto it. What can it be? Something from Dr Manhattan on Mars?

And what's the collusion (?) between Lady Trieu and Dr Manhattan alluded to buy the communication booths to Mars. That allowed Agent Blake to tell her joke to Dr M?
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Right, come on! Let's talk about episode 4 and any theories / questions.

Look:

Where is Veidt? Imprisoned somewhere, he says. Where? And who's holding him? I think it's either Lady Trieu or Dr Manhattan. If the latter, then I bet he's on Mars - which would explain why his attempt to trebuchet Phillips to freedom ended in frozen disaster. And if he's trapped in a Manhattan-controlled bubble on Mars, that might explain where the clones disappeared to when catapulted into the clouds in episode 4.

But what about Lady Trieu? We know she can create actual babies, so is she behind the lake full of feotuses Veidt was harvesting? And how does her golden statue of him look like he does NOW?

Was Sister Night's car electromagneted away by one of Trueu's hovercraft? And if so, why? And why then drop it at the feet of Agent Blake?

Also! What's with Veidt and the birthday cakes? One more candle each time. Are we seeing Veidt only fleetingly once a year? Is our view of Veidt catching up with the main story timeline since his disappearance in 2013? What happens when he reaches concurrence?

I have no idea what's going on, but there clearly is A LOT going on and plenty of clues being given. I'm very excited to find out.

What a programme.

Brilliant. Veidt is imprisoned in a parallel universe/other dimension. I suspect it has a different relationship with time. I think Trieu is creating some sort of device to bridge to other dimension and free Veidt. That’s my theory for now though. All probably wrong.
Doctor Congo

Post by Doctor Congo @ Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:02 pm

Oh and just finished series 2 of Succession. Brilliant. Span were you punching the air at the end?
Doctor Congo

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Turntable wrote: GO back and watch the scene where he tried to get the pigeon out in episode 1. Had me crying second time round whilst curiously indifferent first time around.

I’ve just watched the first episode, for the first time. I’m a bit meh about it...persevere, it sounds like you’re saying?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:06 am

I was a bit meh about it after 1/2 episodes.
Like a lot of good comedies, the more you know the characters the funnier it is. THey are so short and easy to watch that there is no downside to persevering anyway.
Turntable

Post by span @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:49 am

Doctor Congo wrote:Oh and just finished series 2 of Succession. Brilliant. Span were you punching the air at the end?

It was a great ending, after the brilliant tension on the boat. So good. I love / hate everyone in it (apart from greg who I obviously just love) and Matthew McFadyen should win all the prizes in the world for Tom.
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:57 am

span wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:Oh and just finished series 2 of Succession. Brilliant. Span were you punching the air at the end?

It was a great ending, after the brilliant tension on the boat. So good. I love / hate everyone in it (apart from greg who I obviously just love) and Matthew McFadyen should win all the prizes in the world for Tom.

Greg?! He’s such a social climber/grasping/sell out idiot! Though he might’ve redeemed himself by giving Kendall the papers at the end... was totally ace. Can’t wait for series 3. Logan Roy’s half smile at the end was genius.
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 am

Maybe spoiler that, just in case any of these clowns eventually watch it....
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • I do disagree on greg, I think the bit with Kendall was totally consistent with his character (albeit a brave step). I think he's trying to do the right thing, I haven't got the social climbing vibe at all - at worst he's a little susceptible to getting his head turned but I think he's a good egg at heart. And I'm glad that he didn't get broken into a Tomlette.
Last edited by span on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
span

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:39 am

span wrote:Maybe spoiler that, just in case any of these clowns eventually watch it....
  • SPOILER: Mouse over to reveal
    • I do disagree on greg, I think the bit with Kendall was totally consistent with his character (albeit a brave step). I think he's trying to do the right thing, I haven't got the social climbing vibe at all - at worst he's a little susceptible to getting his head turned but I think he's a good egg at heart. And I'm glad that he didn't get broken into a Tomlette.

But he turned down the inheritance from his ethical grandpa to stick with the utterly horrible Roy’s!
Doctor Congo

Post by span @ Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:50 am

Well I didn't say he was perfect! I think it's that he's naive and doesn't understand how ruthless the Roys are, and also he can easily be talked into stuff. He's relatively guileless though.

I love him and I don't care what you say!!
span

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club