Great Magazine Articles

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: Great Magazine Articles

Post by Revol @ Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Careless Whisperer wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/the_secret_in_my_blood

Diagnosed with HIV aged 8...

Just came here to post that. Quite a story.
There's been some good stuff from the BBC recently. If you have the news app they're under "long reads" category.
Revol

Post by Turntable @ Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:30 am

Revol wrote:
Careless Whisperer wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/the_secret_in_my_blood

Diagnosed with HIV aged 8...

Just came here to post that. Quite a story.
There's been some good stuff from the BBC recently. If you have the news app they're under "long reads" category.

Agreed. Tragic and excellent story. I would be raging if I were him
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by minimoog @ Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:05 pm

Do we have a Quite Interesting thread? Dunno, so I'm putting this here.

An excellent article on how New York's grid street layout came about, and how it resulted in a tiny, spiteful quirk of land ownership...

https://medium.com/@chazhutton/how-manhattans-grid-created-the-pettiest-mosaic-ever-made-f0b2f3bda54c
minimoog

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:11 pm

minimoog wrote:Do we have a Quite Interesting thread? Dunno, so I'm putting this here.

An excellent article on how New York's grid street layout came about, and how it resulted in a tiny, spiteful quirk of land ownership...

https://medium.com/@chazhutton/how-manhattans-grid-created-the-pettiest-mosaic-ever-made-f0b2f3bda54c

Exclelent- I like the fact that the peg is still in central park
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by stuart @ Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:08 am

stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by minimoog @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:28 am

minimoog

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:17 am

Too long: did read.
Käsemeister

Post by Dirk @ Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Interesting article on gun control, why one Republican governor in Vermont changed his mind about, introduced gun control laws and has seen his support plummet

Interesting how massive restrictive the new rules are:
[url]Vermont raised the age to purchase firearms without first taking a hunting safety course from 18 to 21[/url]
So youths can still get weapons, all they have to do is take a safety course

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45922719
Last edited by Dirk on Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirk

Post by deev @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:33 am

Dirk wrote:Interesting article on gun control, why one Republican governor in Vermont changed his mind about, introduced gun control laws and has seen his support plummet

Interesting how massive restrictive the new rules are:
[url]Vermont raised the age to purchase firearms without first taking a hunting safety course from 18 to 21[/url]
So youths can still get weapons, all they have to do is take a safety course

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45922719

as an aside Scotland introduced gun laws to include air weapons a while back, my dads got a fair few so called up to register them. The response?
"Sorry Sir we don't have enough manpower to deal with that just now, as you've already got a shotgun licence we'll just do it next year"
so for all the broohaha about the wonderful new law up here they cant even register the ones owned by law abiding people to whats the chances Darren in his high rise will be bothered in the slightest?

I think the whole gun control argument in the US is viewed from our UK POV and we see it as weird as a consequence. I think that were I to live on the US, as one of my friends did recently, I'd be damn sure I'd be having a gun due to the number on circulation. I see how it can be argued that if they banned them tomorrow it'd maybe cut the number of guns in circulation over the next 20 years but I'd be buggered if I'd vote to be the law abiding chap with a baseball bat under the bed vs a burglar with a mack 10.

Proposed gun control laws in the US are just bolting the door after the horse has bolted. It's nowhere near the same issue here but the county lines lot dont have much issue getting guns and I was threatened with being shot a couple of months ago at work. The chap in question didnt produce a gun at the time but as it turns out he had access to one (drug dealer I'd flung out for being a fanny, I've got a cracking video of the threat, it's in court this december so cant show it yet...). UK crims seem to be able to get guns with relative impunity these days, at least the yanks can shoot back. Shame the collateral is so high over there.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Strawman @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 am

deev wrote:Proposed gun control laws in the US are just bolting the door after the horse has bolted.

They did it in Australia after a mass shooting in the 1990's and there hasn't been one since, now Australia has no land borders and is easier to isolate but still saying it won;t work without trying is the definition of defeatism.

deev wrote:It's nowhere near the same issue here but the county lines lot dont have much issue getting guns.

Not true, the number of converted replica guns and obsolete calibre guns used by criminals show that standard guns are very hard to come by in the UK

deev wrote:at least the yanks can shoot back.

That is straight from the NRA prayer book, the mass shooting in as Vegas where many of the crowd were armed no-one shot back because the no-one knew where the shooter was and he was out of range anyway.

I don't think it is just the UK who view it as weird, the US is an anomaly in the developed world for gun related deaths, in the same way their health care is by far the worst and at the same time the most expensive.
Last edited by Strawman on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strawman

Post by Dirk @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 am

deev wrote: . I think that were I to live on the US, as one of my friends did recently, I'd be damn sure I'd be having a gun due to the number on circulation. I see how it can be argued that if they banned them tomorrow it'd maybe cut the number of guns in circulation over the next 20 years but I'd be buggered if I'd vote to be the law abiding chap with a baseball bat under the bed vs a burglar with a mack 10.

Proposed gun control laws in the US are just bolting the door after the horse has bolted. .

If I lived in the US with their current laws I might have a weapon too. But I'm damned sure I'd vote for the laws to be changed and then hand mine in when they were

It is not too late. Put restrictions on ammunition as well as the weapons and it will progressively get harder.
Persuade law abiding people to hand in their guns under amnesties then it will both get harder for criminals to get them and they will have less need.

As well as the Australian case Strawms highlights, Europe has been awash with arms at various points in history. But the gun laws have meant that it does not have the same issues
Dirk

Post by span @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:15 am

I understand wanting a gun if all the criminals have guns, but in practise if someone breaks in or tries to rob you and you aren't armed, I'd have thought your chances are better? i.e. shots are more likely to be fired if both parties have a gun than if one party does?

Based on nothing but my presumptions. Someone look it up for goodness sake!
span

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:46 pm

If I lived in the US you can be sure my house, automobiles and person would be completely tooled up.

As it is, I'm currently pondering if I can persuade my local plod that I have a need for a 6.5 Creedmore.
Imagine the simplicity of just being able to stroll into Walmart (ASDA?) and just pick one up, hand over your money and walk out with it tucked under your arm.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:48 pm

I read that you’re more likely to be killed with your own gun than to kill an intruder. I have no idea if it’s true but I choose to believe it.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Dirk @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 pm

thekungfury wrote:I read that you’re more likely to be killed with your own gun than to kill an intruder. I have no idea if it’s true but I choose to believe it.

I believe that is true (or something close it to it like a family member is more likely to be killed by a family gun than an intruder).
Dirk

Post by stuart @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 pm

read that you’re more likely to be killed with your own gun than to kill an intruder. I have no idea if it’s true but I choose to believe it.

I think that's skewed by suicide figures which constitute a very high number of deaths related to firearms in the US. More people die in America each year from suicide by gun shot than are killed by guns (i.e. homicide)
Last edited by stuart on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart
I know a front door when I see one

Highscores: 2

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm

stuart wrote:
read that you’re more likely to be killed with your own gun than to kill an intruder. I have no idea if it’s true but I choose to believe it.

I think that's skewed by suicide figures which constitute a very high number of deaths related to firearms in the US. More people die in America each year from suicide by gun shot than are killed by guns (i.e. homicide)

I’d read that it was that specific event. Intruder comes in, you grab your gun but he gets it and kills you. I will not google for sources.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 pm

I’d read that you’re more likely to shoot a spider in your mouth in your sleep than an intruder.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by span @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Disastrous wrote:I’d read that you’re more likely to shoot a spider in your mouth in your sleep than an intruder.

Laugh
span

Previous

Return to Nervy's Culture Club