The Big Blue

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

The Big Blue

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:11 pm

Have you seen it?

I watched it years ago at Uni and loved it loads I remember but had near forgotten most of it. Anyway, now I'm a world famous free diver and spear fisherman I thought I had better give it a rewatch. I stared it last night (as it's near three hours long) and will finish it tonight.

The correct version is the Director's Cut without the gay happy ending and with Eric Serra's beautiful and haunting original score.

Have you seen it?

Last night's first half made me cross I hadn't watched it more as it's so beautifully filmed and full of such excellent little scenes. I think it's actually one of my favourite films.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Re: The Big Blue

Post by Turntable @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:14 pm

Ha, how interesting.
I always thought that was a babies film due to the picture on the front (looks like Free Willy but for dolphins) so I have never even considered it.
Just read the synopsis and realised it actually sounds good.

I will watch this if you watch whiplash. Deal?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Turntable @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:17 pm

See what I mean. The cover designers did a fcuking shit job on that film as they managed to put off an entire generation from watch the film

free-penis.jpg
free-penis.jpg (200.6 KiB) Viewed 18771 times
Turntable

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Laugh. Yeah, it's a shit cover. I desperately want to see whiplash and already know it's excellent so I accept your bargain!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:24 pm

I'm just not sure about Whiplash - I saw the trailer and it just looks shit.

Boy wants to join band, band leader is a cnut.

How can that be brilliant?

Then again TT was spot-on about Barney's Version.

Torn.
Deuteronomy

Post by Strawman @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:30 pm

I watched BIg Blue like you Dis back in college, it has some awesome moments and sells the whole lifestyle of hanging about on boats being all serious and mystical about water. Good and somehow segued in my mind with Betty Blue.
I will watch whiplash because Jazz and drumming.

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuImW1dWAk

After watching this clip I already want to punch this bald man.
Strawman

Post by Monty @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:16 pm

I've had it for several years on DVD as I loved it when it came out. I've not managed to get all the way through the DVD again though...
I need to pick the right mood to watch it which as caused some issues:
1) I never seem to be in the right mood.
2) I'm not sure any more what mood I should be in.

I fear it may be doomed.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:27 pm

IIRC the ending is a bit trippy/nonsensical but so far I'm really enjoying it. I reckon pre-spearfishing seems to be the correct mood...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Turntable @ Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:37 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:I'm just not sure about Whiplash - I saw the trailer and it just looks shit.

Torn.

And don't forget untouchables. How shit should that have been?
I offer the same guarantee. I hate bands and I hate drummers and I hate films about bands or drummers yet whiplash is brilliant
Turntable

Post by Monty @ Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:05 am

Well, I watched it...so thanks for Dis for bringing this up. All 2 3/4 hours of it!

The whole film is a bit trippy. I s'pose simply put it's just a love story. Lots of it that I'd forgotten, mine is the so-called 'long version'...and it is that. The photography is wonderful & there's a whole load of material for me to get ideas about using (very) wide angle lenses in it as it appears to have had much of it shot thusly.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:05 am

Monty wrote:Well, I watched it...so thanks for Dis for bringing this up. All 2 3/4 hours of it!

The whole film is a bit trippy. I s'pose simply put it's just a love story. Lots of it that I'd forgotten, mine is the so-called 'long version'...and it is that. The photography is wonderful & there's a whole load of material for me to get ideas about using (very) wide angle lenses in it as it appears to have had much of it shot thusly.

I'm watching it at the moment. The long version is the one I have too (same as the director's cut) and I noticed the wide lens stuff too. Also, I'd been reading an article a couple of days ago by Carlos Eyles on underwater photography wherein he was recommending black and white for beginners and thought to myself 'sounds shit! The colour is what makes underwater stuff so compelling...' And then watched the opening sequence of the film and realised I was wrong.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Pigeon @ Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:56 am

The thing is that colour underwater photography needs very good conditions to be worth bothering with. In British waters it tends to come out with everything the same dull greeny-grey colour and looking as if it is in thick fog. With black and white the shit colour problem vanishes, of course, and it somehow seems to penetrate the fog better as well. It still isn't a very good photo but at least you can see what it's supposed to be better. Good examples of this are to be found in "Follow a Wild Dolphin" by Horace Dobbs.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:41 am

What's that pidge? A photo book?

I've just finished the film again and am quite relieved as it remains beautifully shot all the way through, and the trippy ending seemed to make more sense.

I remember now why I haven't watched it in so long though. It makes me feel very bittersweet and whilst that's an incredibly cathartic mood and amazing of a film to take you there, I prefer my usual detached arrogance as it's easier to manage. Not sure why this film does this, but it's a weird combo of character, simplicity, nostalgia for something I can't put a finger on love-letter to the ocean.

Love.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Pigeon @ Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:05 am

It's an account of following a wild dolphin from the Isle of Man to Pembrokeshire and then around the coast of Cornwall, and swimming with it numerous times. It is a textual account, but it also has several glossy pages of photos, both colour and B&W, in the middle. They are not much like the sort of photos you would find in a book about coral reefs or the like. At one point he goes on about the difficulty of getting decent underwater photos in British coastal waters due to the murkiness and bad light. He recommends a fish-eye lens with a good depth of field to emphasise close objects and draw attention away from the indistinct further objects. I think there is only about one photo which shows both ends of the dolphin clearly at the same time, and that only by being underneath it and looking at it against the light.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Barbarianna @ Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:32 am

Disastrous wrote:
The correct version is the Director's Cut without the gay happy ending and with Eric Serra's beautiful and haunting original score.

Tried to hijack this film online for a little preview last night, and watched the first few minutes of two different cuts- please clarify which is the proper one?

a) The one which says 'Grece, 1965' in French in the beginning with a theme in a more minor key, with jazz sax strewn over it. I suspect this is the one but I can't bear the jazz sax!!

b) The one which says Greece, 1965 in English and a rather more piano-y theme.

Also clarify, re. the opening scenes with the boy jumping into the sea- are they meant to be in black&white?

Must get my right 'mood on' for this viewing, and after this effort, it better be good or I'm gonna get some spearguns and hire a few goons to hunt you down in the sea.
Barbarianna

Post by Disastrous @ Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:37 am

It's 'Grece 1965' you want, with the Eric Serra score (more synth-whale song with funk underpinnings than sax though) and absolument, black and white for the first ten minutes.

As an aside, I well hate Serra's funk-fusion nonsense on the Goldeneye car chase with the bird in the Ferrari but The Big Blue is dead lush and serene and I listened to it sailing this evening as the sun was setting and it was class.

ETA - sounds a good book pidge. Worth a read?
Last edited by Disastrous on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:35 am

Deuteronomy wrote:I'm just not sure about Whiplash - I saw the trailer and it just looks shit.

Torn.

We watched it last night - it's good. 45 minutes in and I was regretting it and could easily have turned it off but it gets better. It's a bit predictable though, quite a cliched storyline but the ending is great. All the better if you like jazz which we do.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Deuteronomy @ Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:49 am

As good as TT suggests?
Deuteronomy

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:17 am

Well I won't be claiming against his offered guarantee. It didn't stand out as being massively exceptional - definitely worth watching however, a good film.
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Pigeon @ Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:38 am

Disastrous wrote:ETA - sounds a good book pidge. Worth a read?

Well I think it is, but I am biased from having met the dolphin myself. It is however by any measure a unique and interesting account of repeated encounters with a wild animal in its natural habitat. There is one chapter which is imagined in first person from the dolphin's point of view, which you will either love or hate, but the rest of it is entirely factual. It is worth bearing in mind that much more is known about dolphin behaviour now than was known at the time it was written, so some of the facts need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by stovey @ Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 am

Disastrous wrote:Have you seen it?

I watched it years ago at Uni and loved it loads I remember but had near forgotten most of it. Anyway, now I'm a world famous free diver and spear fisherman I thought I had better give it a rewatch. I stared it last night (as it's near three hours long) and will finish it tonight.

Have you seen it?

Last night's first half made me cross I hadn't watched it more as it's so beautifully filmed and full of such excellent little scenes. I think it's actually one of my favourite films.

I loved this film back in the 90s? I'm going to watch it again but the version I saw at the cinema must be the original not the directors cut? Or is the directors cut the original version?

I've avoided watching it again as often these films you enjoyed in your younger years end up looking a bit disappointing (like old girlfriends) when you see them again.
stovey

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:04 am

I REALLY enjoyed Whiplash btw, TT. Did you find time to watch the Big Blue yetkin?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 am

I've still not watched it, I think it's on Netflix so will make the effort soon.

I wonder if Firkin ever read the article about Everest.
Deuteronomy

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:13 am

Deuteronomy wrote:I've still not watched it, I think it's on Netflix so will make the effort soon.

I wonder if Firkin ever read the article about Everest.

:shrug:
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Return to Nervy's Culture Club