Best ever TV series?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Greg66 @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
minimoog wrote:Also Utopia was excellent.


Yes, it absolutely was, good call.

Bojack Horseman - watch it if you haven't, it's excellent (takes 3 or 4 episodes to get into though)
Yes and yes.


Bojack. My kids watch this. I can't see what the fuss is about. Ditto Rick and Morty.

Anyway, I call the reference to Bojack as the official point at which the thread deviated from "best ever TV series" to "TV series I have seen and liked".
User avatar
Greg66
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:52 pm

Käsemeister wrote:Actually, it's going back a bit now, but The Vice was excellent. Predated the Wire and Luther et al, but the same mix of corrupt / not corrupt messy policeyness, just set in Laaaarndon.

Ken Stott and Marc Warren were both exceptionally good in it.

Stott was characteristically good in his Rebus stuff, too. I love the books.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16463
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 pm

Rod Rammage wrote:Hang on - you do realise that these so-called "serieses" are just made up, right?

The answer is none of this lot.

There is only one TV series worth watching - a very excellent and now quite old TV series.

And only the first series too.

See if you can guess - it was mostly set in Dusseldorf.


Clue #2:

Howay.jpg
Howay.jpg (83.12 KiB) Viewed 3364 times
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 26396
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 pm

If you had shown that picture to someone at the time and said that one actor would go on to have a (pretty big) career in (some pretty big) films, you'd be surprised if they picked out Timothy Spall.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:28 pm

ttwiggy wrote:If you had shown that picture to someone at the time and said that one actor would go on to have a (pretty big) career in (some pretty big) films, you'd be surprised if they picked out Timothy Spall.



True. Whereas if you'd said one of them would be shortly dead from booze/morphine, you'd be completely unsurprised when they picked the right man...
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39396
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm

Disastrous wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:If you had shown that picture to someone at the time and said that one actor would go on to have a (pretty big) career in (some pretty big) films, you'd be surprised if they picked out Timothy Spall.



True. Whereas if you'd said one of them would be shortly dead from booze/morphine, you'd be completely unsurprised when they picked the right man...


Ha! That was going to be my follow-up.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:30 pm

You'd maybe struggle to pick out the crooner too...
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm

ttwiggy wrote:You'd maybe struggle to pick out the crooner too...



Or the SPECTRE assassin...
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39396
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by ttwiggy @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:39 pm

The soon-to-be-dead druggie though. That's easy.
ttwiggy
 
Posts: 1884
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:11 pm

Disastrous wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:You'd maybe struggle to pick out the crooner too...



Or the SPECTRE assassin...


NSNA IIRC?
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17233
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:14 pm

ttwiggy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:If you had shown that picture to someone at the time and said that one actor would go on to have a (pretty big) career in (some pretty big) films, you'd be surprised if they picked out Timothy Spall.



True. Whereas if you'd said one of them would be shortly dead from booze/morphine, you'd be completely unsurprised when they picked the right man...


Ha! That was going to be my follow-up.



Laugh. Love how you just went for it anyway!

Deuts, ja, NSNA ist richtig.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39396
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Disastrous wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
ttwiggy wrote:If you had shown that picture to someone at the time and said that one actor would go on to have a (pretty big) career in (some pretty big) films, you'd be surprised if they picked out Timothy Spall.



True. Whereas if you'd said one of them would be shortly dead from booze/morphine, you'd be completely unsurprised when they picked the right man...


Ha! That was going to be my follow-up.



Laugh. Love how you just went for it anyway!

Deuts, ja, NSNA ist richtig.



Meine erinnerung ist perfekt!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17233
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by S1K @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:22 pm

I've watched The Wire all the way through four times and got something new from it every time. I don't feel like I really understood it at all until after watching it twice. To my mind it's more like a sociology/criminology PhD made for TV than a conventional series. I got so into it that I went to the Hay Festival to see a talk by David Simon.

I don't think that NYPD Blue has been mentioned but that was a good series too.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6725
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Spoooooks.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Spoooooks.


The writer is an NCT friend of mine!
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by span @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 pm

Doctor Congo wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Spoooooks.


The writer is an NCT friend of mine!

Doctor C! Men don't have nct friends!!
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7222
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by S1K @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:45 pm

span wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Spoooooks.


The writer is an NCT friend of mine!

Doctor C! Men don't have nct friends!!

It's okay span, it might stand for Nuclear Compton Telescope.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6725
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:04 pm

span wrote:
Doctor Congo wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Spoooooks.


The writer is an NCT friend of mine!

Doctor C! Men don't have nct friends!!


Of course we do! How sexist! Tsk tsk tsk Span!
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:
Turntable wrote:
Barbarianna wrote:Couldnt hook into The Wire despite picking at a couple of episodes. But I know there is something there.
Can anyone describe what in particular drew them in?


In the 3 series I watched I would say that nothing drew me in. I kept making myself persevere because everyone else in the world loved it so much but it didn't hook me in any way whatsoever.
The characters and dialogue are all very good, but they are also all quite bland and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the fate of anyone in it hence found myself just watching as an indifferent observer.


Me too - just couldn't get into it, same for the West Wing

I don't think we can be friends anymore
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35763
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by NNK @ Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Green Wing - its got it all
NNK
 
Posts: 8112
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: NZ

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:24 am

thekungfury wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Turntable wrote:
Barbarianna wrote:Couldnt hook into The Wire despite picking at a couple of episodes. But I know there is something there.
Can anyone describe what in particular drew them in?


In the 3 series I watched I would say that nothing drew me in. I kept making myself persevere because everyone else in the world loved it so much but it didn't hook me in any way whatsoever.
The characters and dialogue are all very good, but they are also all quite bland and I just couldn't bring myself to care about the fate of anyone in it hence found myself just watching as an indifferent observer.


Me too - just couldn't get into it, same for the West Wing

I don't think we can be friends anymore


Say it aint so, bro - we'll always have Bruce's lookylikey wheel.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17233
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by chinkypig @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:24 am

The Bridge, my favourite ever telly show.

Big Little Lies, surprisingly brilliant.

Bosch, not for everyone but I can't get enough of it.

Stranger Things, the best kind of nostalgia.

Sherlock, first series only ofc but utterly ruined as quickly as it soared.

The Following, pulp but my kind of pulp.
User avatar
chinkypig
 
Posts: 1760
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:45 am

Good to see the love for Bosch.

I can't emphasise enough how much I love that show.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 16463
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by stuart @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:12 pm

Californication.
House.
User avatar
stuart
I know a front door when I see one
 
Posts: 18070
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm
Location: There
Highscores: 2

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:36 pm

I think Mad Men, GoT and The Sopranos are going to be on top for me due to quality over time. Am rewatching Sooranos at the mo, and it's still bloody marvellous.

I did enjoy Breaking B and The Wire, but doubt I would ever want to watch them again.

Other goodies:
American Gods
The Americans
Billions
Boardwalk Empire
Deadwood
Detectorists
The Handmaids Tale
The Expanse
The Hour
The Knick
Peeky Blinders
Legion
Mr Robot
Penny Dreadful
Preacher
Ray Donovan
Sons of Anarchy
West world
User avatar
GingerNinja
 
Posts: 4732
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: London

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:25 pm

Oh yes, Legion was fab.

Ray Donovan is wretched. A cavalcade of gloom and disappointment and bitter people being mean and awful. I managed about three episodes and then stopped watching with a shudder and went to have a hot shower.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13243
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Andy T Archer @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Alan Bleasdales GBH

Love it to bits. Loads of people I recognise from the telly - on the telly.
Michael Palin and Robert "Power to the People" Lindsay are superb.
Writing better than Boys From the Blackstuff

Hard hitting, brutal and hilarious in various measures.

I urge you all to watch it.

Andy
User avatar
Andy T Archer
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Just one post away from acceptance

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Ooh, Billions. Mr C convinced me to watch it and I loved it.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3372
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by Doctor Congo @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:Ooh, Billions. Mr C convinced me to watch it and I loved it.


Mr C has good taste. I thought it was great.
User avatar
Doctor Congo
 
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Best ever TV series?

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones are my top 3; many others have been mentioned that would be lower down on my list but I'd add Orange if the New Black and Hell on Wheels which I don't think have had a mention yet.
User avatar
DI Burnside
 
Posts: 17844
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: Beds
Highscores: 7

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles
cron