Supposedly good actors but not, IYO.

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Re: Supposedly good actors but not, IYO.

Post by Ghost @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:54 am

Huge Grunt. Can only play one role, no matter what the genre of the film.
Ghost

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

moleamol wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:
moleamol wrote:Danny Dyer, he's great at playing Danny Dyer but he's not even acting.

TBF, I don't think anyone genuinely thinks Danny Dyer is a great actor.

Never mind that Clown, as a woman do you think Julia Roberts is an attractive woman?

Same question to you Spanners.

This is important.

Erm... Yes I do. I've always liked her smile.

Uggh! That's literally her worst part!

I thought we had a connection Clown, but now I see you're just like Moley.

See, I was right and handsome all along. Confirmed by actual girls, back the fcuk down Doots.

We all know I never back down, ever.

Moles, I know because of your face you have to set a low bar, but come on, you can do better than this:

Deuteronomy

Post by S1K @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:01 pm

I'm not much of a fan of Wilf Errol but in a similar sort of vein I'd say that Owen Wilson is even worse. He just seems to play the same role in every film and none of the films he's in seem to be much good.
S1K

Post by span @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:41 pm

minimoog wrote: Otherwise (take note Ivanka if you're reading)

Haha, that was funny

spast1kunt wrote:I'm not much of a fan of Wilf Errol but in a similar sort of vein I'd say that Owen Wilson is even worse. He just seems to play the same role in every film and none of the films he's in seem to be much good.

Well I think he's charming!
span

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:56 pm

In fairness to Owen Wilson he doesn't make any attempt to act. Owen Wilson stars as Owen Wilson. He knows it and he knows we know it. Same for Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd, other names.

I don't think anybody considers them to be good actors though. Not even they do.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by span @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 pm

thekungfury wrote:In fairness to Owen Wilson he doesn't make any attempt to act. Owen Wilson stars as Owen Wilson. He knows it and he knows we know it. Same for Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd, other names.

I don't think anybody considers them to be good actors though. Not even they do.

I agree, although of that bunch Jonah Hill's a bit more versatile.

Brad Pitt - fcuking HEEEEELLLLL he's boring and not as good as he thinks he is. BOORING. Although in fairness less so recently - he was quite good in Babel and I think since around then he's toned it down a bit. He was quite good in that film about the banking crisis too, when he had a beard. Oh and Dial Z for Zombies or whatever it was called! He was good in that!

(no time for googling any of these titles, I'm In A Hurry)
span

Post by span @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 pm

thekungfury wrote:In fairness to Owen Wilson he doesn't make any attempt to act. Owen Wilson stars as Owen Wilson. He knows it and he knows we know it. Same for Will Ferrell, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd, other names.

Brad Pitt - fcuking HEEEEELLLLL he's boring and not as good as he thinks he is. BOORING. Although in fairness less so recently - he was quite good in Babel and I think since around then he's toned it down a bit. He was quite good in that film about the banking crisis too, when he had a beard. Oh and Dial Z for Zombies or whatever it was called! He was good in that!

span

Post by Dirk @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

You had time to post twice ffs
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm

span wrote:

Brad Pitt is good in Se7en and Fight Club, but that's about it.

e: maybe the first Ocean's
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
span wrote:

Brad Pitt is good in Se7en and Fight Club, but that's about it.

e: maybe the first Ocean's

Good in all Ocean's, Fight Club, Se7en, The Mexican, Snatch, Inglorious Basterds, Twelve Monkeys, Fury, Big Short. One of my favourite actors.
thekungfury

Post by Barbarianna @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:13 pm

Yeh Pitt is good overall, spanners!
Brad was just pretty adornment when he started out, but I think he has got a lot of ability and depth which has shown in many a good film. Not one of the greats, but a good actor nonetheless.

I agreed with you on Julia Roberts, and also like Tom Hanks: they both get a pass because their likeability is so all-consuming, and their acting is good (i.e definitely not shit) IMO.
But overall, spanners, this thread is not a thrill ride for you is it?
Barbarianna

Post by span @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Barbarianna wrote:But overall, spanners, this thread is not a thrill ride for you is it?

Well, I do like a lot of actors who are probably successful because they seem nice and are in nice films... They stick with similar characters but there's nothing wrong with that. Christoph Waltz does that and everyone loves him.

I think Brad Pitt is often a bit hammy, so I much prefer him in films when he's more under-stated. That seems harder to do IMO - anyone can do a massive impression of someone; but to be plausible as a normal person just living and interacting plausibly strikes me as quite hard to do.
span

Post by Strawman @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 pm

span wrote: but to be plausible as a normal person just living and interacting plausibly strikes me as quite hard to do.

I agree, I liked when reading about Harry Dean Stanton recently, he said the reason he wanted to do Paris Texas so much was that for the first 30 minutes of the film he says nothing, despite being on screen for almost all of that time.
Strawman

Post by minimoog @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:31 pm

thekungfury wrote:Good in all Ocean's, Fight Club, Se7en, The Mexican, Snatch, Inglorious Basterds, Twelve Monkeys, Fury, Big Short. One of my favourite actors.

Also Moneyball. He's good in pretty much everything.
minimoog

Post by span @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:34 pm

minimoog wrote:
thekungfury wrote:Good in all Ocean's, Fight Club, Se7en, The Mexican, Snatch, Inglorious Basterds, Twelve Monkeys, Fury, Big Short. One of my favourite actors.

Also Moneyball. He's good in pretty much everything.

Hm. Well. In that case you must all feel pretty silly now.
span

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 pm

He was dreary as fcuk in Meet Joe Black, though.
CJ+

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:45 pm

Dreamy, more like.

He's good at eating on screen. An underrated skill.
thekungfury

Post by Strawman @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm

The first couple of minutes of Meet Joe Black are really exciting but I never managed to watch to the end, despite having Claire Forlani in it. I don't blame Brad Pitt entirely for that though, I think the scriptwriters are equally to blame.
Strawman

Post by span @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm

thekungfury wrote:Dreamy, more like.

I just Googled this (obviously there's a mash-up available) and he eats like Mr Span eating dessert - overly aggressive.

Also I just remembered when he was in Friends. Remember that? It was a very funny episode but he was dreadful.
span

Post by Freddie @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:34 pm

span wrote:

I just Googled this (obviously there's a mash-up available) and he eats like Mr Span eating dessert - overly aggressive.

LOL
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Freddie @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:42 pm

I bet Mister and Master Span get mercilessly desert bullied whenever the chance presents itself. Poor sods.

Bad Span, you desert*bullyist!

*Pudding
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:16 pm

He's constantly eating in Ocean's. It was a thing .
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:18 pm

I always think it must be really hard for actors to do a whole film in an accent other than their own. Because they've not only got to contend with being a whole other person, but they've got to maintain an accent and be a whole other person at the same time.

Some seem to manage it admirably (Hugh Laurie, Toni Colette, Idris Elba) but others seem to just not be able to do it at all (Brad Pitt, the afore-mentioned Sean Connery, Sean Bean). Elisabeth Moss, who I heart, was brilliant in Top of the Lake, but her Australian accent was shocking. Americans are generally consistently bad at British accents because they think we all speak Cockney or like the Queen, but Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors did a very decent middle-class British accent.

I am well envious of people who can do accents.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by deev @ Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:58 pm

thekungfury wrote: The Mexican

Forgot about that! It's ace, must watch it again.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by deev @ Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:02 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I always think it must be really hard for actors to do a whole film in an accent other than their own. Because they've not only got to contend with being a whole other person, but they've got to maintain an accent and be a whole other person at the same time.

Some seem to manage it admirably (Hugh Laurie, Toni Colette, Idris Elba) but others seem to just not be able to do it at all (Brad Pitt, the afore-mentioned Sean Connery, Sean Bean). Elisabeth Moss, who I heart, was brilliant in Top of the Lake, but her Australian accent was shocking. Americans are generally consistently bad at British accents because they think we all speak Cockney or like the Queen, but Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors did a very decent middle-class British accent.

I love the scene in The Wire where McNulty, played by posh English voiced Dominic West doing a kind of Irish Baltimore accent for the role, has to impersonate a posh English person for an undercover op and we end up with hilarity.
deev
Banger King

Post by deev @ Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:11 pm

John Malkovich is pretty shit really, he's a rubbish baddy and never in the least bit scary. Anyway, I wont have this Julia Roberts slating, she was ace in Hook.
deev
Banger King

Post by NNK @ Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:56 am

deev wrote:John Malkovich is pretty shit really, he's a rubbish baddy and never in the least bit scary. Anyway, I wont have this Julia Roberts slating, she was ace in Hook.

YES !
I had wiped him from my memory for being so awful.
Ripleys Game (?) , how to kill a movie .
I can only presume he is amazing in theatre (Widow Twanky ?) as he is proper shite on screen
NNK

Post by CJ+ @ Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 am

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:I always think it must be really hard for actors to do a whole film in an accent other than their own. Because they've not only got to contend with being a whole other person, but they've got to maintain an accent and be a whole other person at the same time.

Sarah Paulson's English accent was pretty bloody good in AHS: Roanoke.

And Gillian Anderson's is flawless, but she cheats by being brought up here. But she can oscillate between RP and a mid-west American accent without missing a beat.
CJ+

Post by Strawman @ Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm

thekungfury wrote:Good in all Ocean's, Fight Club, Se7en, ...........Twelve Monkeys,

According to the Cockney Internet Movie Database, Terry Gilliam made Twelve Monkeys for £6000.
Strawman

Post by Dr Wolff @ Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05 pm

As a genre, I hate anyone who purports to be an "American comedy actor". I googled it and got the following list;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ameri ... 1Hk_hgMAAA

There is an exception on there, John Belushi, but that is it. I don't get them, they aren't funny and anything that involves unlikely virgins meeting the in-laws and being inappropriate has me heading for the hills.

Hope the link works - looks wrong when pasted in to this post
Dr Wolff

PreviousNext

Return to Nervy's Culture Club