Monochrome or colour?

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

What is your preference?

Monochrome
0
No votes
Colour
4
100%
 
Total votes : 4

Monochrome or colour?

Post by Freddie @ Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:46 pm

So recently a number of films, M Max Fury Road, Logan Noir, have been released in monochrome. I have always had a soft spot for monochrome and noir. for example: The Third Man, White Heat and Great Expectations. Is colour King or is there a real love for dual release?
User avatar
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 12:20 am
Location: Area 51

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by foo @ Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Rumblefish worked in (mostly) black and white. Dunno about the others.
User avatar
foo
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 2:35 pm
Location: the Internet

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by Strawman @ Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:38 pm

Colour remains king obviously, there are some films which use a limited tonal palate for scenes which I suppose is a halfway position. I'm glad you mentioned great expectations, still one of the best films I've ever watched. Hero for example

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9keMBIyPnA&t=151s
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40217
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:40 am

Unless it's trying to feel like an older film, I'm not really keen on B&W.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17357
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by minimoog @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:50 am

I love B&W films and hoover them up of a weekend. The cinematography is often stunning and transcends the lack of a colour pallette. Plus nostalgia.

Of more modern stuff Schindlers List was very effective in mostly B&W while not overtly trying to look like an older film (like, say, the Artist).

Have to say I wasn't aware there was such a thing as dual release where you can see the same film in either colour or monochrome.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9838
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by Darthdeathdealer @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I don't live in a monochrome world, I don't want to see a film made in monochrome, when gazillions of pounds / Dollars / Rupees / Ugandan Scheckles, have been spent developing tech, which allows me to watch stuff in colour. 'Arthouse' schmarthouse. The excuse for movies / T.V. being in monochrome, has long gone. Bah humbug. >shakes fists<
Last edited by Darthdeathdealer on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darthdeathdealer
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 am

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:51 pm

minimoog wrote:I love B&W films and hoover them up of a weekend. The cinematography is often stunning and transcends the lack of a colour pallette. Plus nostalgia.

Of more modern stuff Schindlers List was very effective in mostly B&W while not overtly trying to look like an older film (like, say, the Artist).

Have to say I wasn't aware there was such a thing as dual release where you can see the same film in either colour or monochrome.



Same. Just the same as still photography - it makes you appreciate light and tone and texture more. I like both.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39465
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Darthdeathdealer wrote:I don't live in a monochrome world, I don't want to see a film made in monochrome, when gazillions of pounds / Dollars / Rupees / Ugandan Scheckles, have been spent developing tech, which allows me to watch stuff in colour. 'Arthouse' schmarthouse. The excuse for movies / T.V. being in monochrome, has long gone. Bah humbug. >shakes fists<


I agree. If you do want to see it in black and white, all you have to do is turn the colour off. Whereas if some bellend has already turned the colour off, painting it back in is a tremendous pain in the arse. Therefore stuff should always be made in colour so you have the choice.
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24202
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by S1K @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Is that true?

Is watching a colour film with the colour turned off the same as watching a film which was originally filmed in B&W or does the fact that it was originally filmed in B&W make the chromatic contrasts different?
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7033
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:04 pm

You would grade it differently if you were intending it to be b&w.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39465
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Monochrome or colour?

Post by Strawman @ Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:08 pm

spast1kunt wrote:Is that true?

Is watching a colour film with the colour turned off the same as watching a film which was originally filmed in B&W or does the fact that it was originally filmed in B&W make the chromatic contrasts different?


Depends I think whether you are talking digital or film stock, as post processing manipulation software gets better and better then it becomes easier to create whatever effect you want after he filming has happened. On the other hand the sort of detail good lighting creates is difficult to add later, I imagine. Bodhi and Dis would know more.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40217
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force


Return to Nervy's Culture Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles