B v F

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

B v F

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:43 am

This morning my radio was telling me about how it is pretty much universally accepted that when a book is turned into a film, the film isn't as good as the book. That's what people always say, "it wasn't as good as the book". They say.

But then the radio asked me if it was ever true the other way round. If the film of a book was better than the book. I had to confess I didn't know. "I don't know, radio", I confessed (to myself). Although I sneakily think that Blade Runner is a better film than Do Androids Etc is a book, even though I don't like BR much.

Anyway.

What else?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Re: B v F

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:51 am

Blade Runner is my go-to example as although the book is excellent, the film is the best film ever and much better than it.

Beyond that, I can’t think of anything where the film was better. Maybe different if you watch the films before the book? I tried to read a GoT book after watching the TV series and found it the most tediously dull beard-fodder. So detail-obsessed I gave up after 50 pages.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Turntable @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:20 am

I think for some reason loads of Stephen King books become films that are at least as good as the book. Never really understood why.
Ones that spring to mind are Shawshank, Green Mile, Misery and Stand by Me.
There are loads of others too that I am just not mentioning because I didn't love either the book or the film but it still applies
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:37 am

Starship Troopers. Excellent film, very incisive and cutting social statements. Book is dross.

Bourne is the one that always confuses me - films are great, books are great yet they share little beyond the shell of a premise and some character names.
Käsemeister

Post by minimoog @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 am

I haven't read it in in decades so I can't really remember it but I'd be astounded if the film of Jaws wasn't better than the book.
minimoog

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:59 am

Dune.

Yes, Lynch's version.

The books are incredibly long, turgid affairs that give little impression of the grandiose scale of the universe in which the story takes place. They're honestly pretty boring.

Lynch went "fcuk all that" and made it look and sound amazeballs (Toto score ftw!), which is all you can really do with something that would be LOTR-esque in size if you were diligently faithful to the source material.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:03 am

CJ+ wrote:Dune.

Yes, Lynch's version.

The books are incredibly long, turgid affairs that give little impression of the grandiose scale of the universe in which the story takes place. They're honestly pretty boring.

Lynch went "fcuk all that" and made it look and sound amazeballs (Toto score ftw!), which is all you can really do with something that would be LOTR-esque in size if you were diligently faithful to the source material.

I hate you now!

Lynch’s movie was an abomination and laughably bad. The books, however, are amazing.
Doctor Congo

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:17 am

With Doc. Sort of. The books are incredible and CJ is clearly an illiterate philistine.

Lynch’s version captured the look and feel, but butchered the story. The TV series nailed the story, but fell down on the look and feel. McAvoy though.
Käsemeister

Post by minimoog @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:39 am

Käsemeister wrote:The TV series

The what now?
minimoog

B v F

Post by Käsemeister @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:52 am

The tv series.

Followed by the second series

Given the failure of Bladerunner, it’s questionable whether the new film gets out of development hell which is a shame.
Last edited by Käsemeister on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Käsemeister

Post by S1K @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:40 am

I wouldn't go as far as "amazing" or "incredible" to describe Dune the book but it's still streets ahead of the film. Sting for fcuks sake?

There are probably millions of films which are better than the books they're based on but we've never read or heard of the book. I've read a few of Mario Puzo's books and I'd say that The Godfather is a better film than the book.
S1K

Post by CJ+ @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am

I've got another one, probably less controversial this time: Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.

The novel basically makes no sense, but the film (both versions, but esp. the Donald Sutherland one) are pretty bloody great.
CJ+

Post by Doctor Congo @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 am

spast1kunt wrote:I wouldn't go as far as "amazing" or "incredible" to describe Dune the book but it's still streets ahead of the film. Sting for fcuks sake?

There are probably millions of films which are better than the books they're based on but we've never read or heard of the book. I've read a few of Mario Puzo's books and I'd say that The Godfather is a better film than the book.

Your face is neither amazing or incredible, mine is, however.
Doctor Congo

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Harry Potter.

Hear me out here.

I haven’t read the books but my daughter does. She reads her library books to us every night before bed and occasionally she'll forget to bring it home so reads one of her own instead, sometimes a Potter. The writing is dreadful. It’s like Andy McNabb wrote a wizard book. The stories are good but the actual writing is dogshit.
thekungfury

Return to Nervy's Culture Club