Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Some things cultured but mostly films and telly stuff.

Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Strawman @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:57 am

Because you know already you'd hate them, it's a mean thread idea because it might ruin someones enjoyment of a film they liked before but oh well

Image

I did try to watch a bit of this when it arrived on Netflix but quickly turned it off, so was pleased to find this damming review

We open in a fcuking airport. A fcuking AIRPORT!!! Of course Love Actually, the apex of cynically vacant faux-motional cash-grab garbage cinema would hang its BIG METAPHOR on the bleak, empathy-stripped cathedral of turgid bureaucracy known as “the airport.” Of course. And then, of course, Hugh Grant’s voice pipes in to tell us how inspiring and magical the airport is, because when you’re at the airport you can’t help but notice that “love actually IS all around.” THE fcuking AIRPORT!!!!!


Continues here
https://jezebel.com/i-rewatched-love-ac ... 1485136388
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40217
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:22 am

That review made me see that film in a whole new light, and not a good one either.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3527
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:51 am

I saw L,A at the cinema when it was released, and haven't again since. I remember finding that even though it just wasn't for me I was unable to avoid being emotionally manipulated throughout so that I probably ended up smiling by the end. I also remember Emma Thompson being brilliant in it, and it making me fancy Tiffany from EastEnders again.


My answer to this thread would be Titanic. One of the most successful and adored films of all time, which I've never seen and which clearly why would anybody ever watch now? The only reason people might still watch it I reckon is if they saw it originally and decided then that it was their favourite, and now their brain won't let go of the idea. So they can watch it again and again. Nobody could possibly ever come to that with fresh eyes, surely. Certainly not me, anyway.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13532
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:53 am

Resorting to a Your mum retort in the comments made me LOL
User avatar
HappyGoLucky
 
Posts: 6301
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 9:13 am
Location: Lost in my own little world!
Highscores: 3

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Dirk @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:30 am

LA does of course have a purely passing connection with reality, but its a fcuking film. And it does have very good actors which redeems it.

Popular films I will not watch -
any of the many marvels of the universe type films-
Ditto transformers
Titanic - I did try watching it when it came out. But was shit so only managed 30 minutes
Horror films - I just don't enjoy them
Fast & Furious sequels - because shit (the first one was as well, but in entertaining way, if only to laugh at the infinite gearboxes)
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 31107
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I saw L,A at the cinema when it was released, and haven't again since. I remember finding that even though it just wasn't for me I was unable to avoid being emotionally manipulated throughout so that I probably ended up smiling by the end. I also remember Emma Thompson being brilliant in it, and it making me fancy Tiffany from EastEnders again.


My answer to this thread would be Titanic. One of the most successful and adored films of all time, which I've never seen and which clearly why would anybody ever watch now? The only reason people might still watch it I reckon is if they saw it originally and decided then that it was their favourite, and now their brain won't let go of the idea. So they can watch it again and again. Nobody could possibly ever come to that with fresh eyes, surely. Certainly not me, anyway.


LA- I have always fancied Tiffany.

Titanic- I can't believe De Caprio was in such brilliant films as Wolf of Wall St, Catch me if you can, Shutter Island, Blood Diamonds and The Aviator and was also in that horrible crock of shit with that annoying girl- the one who gives the middle finger insult that wasn't even invented in 1916. As stupid as seeing bananas in Gangs of New York.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13367
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Pigeon @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:15 am

Hairy Rotter. I saw the first one on the TV some Christmas time many years ago, and won't care if I never see any of the others.

Somewhat more recently I did see a clip from one of the later ones. It showed some things like slugs flying around that silly bridge in London in really shit CGI, which gives me another reason not to want to watch it.

Also, Start Warts. I remember thinking it was too silly to want to watch when the first one came out. fcuking princesses in space and some bloke called Skywalker because he was a space man. Chicken's tits. Again I did see a bit of one of them by chance once and it didn't impress me much.
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 24202
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Deuteronomy @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:42 am

Pigeon wrote:Hairy Rotter. I saw the first one on the TV some Christmas time many years ago, and won't care if I never see any of the others.

Somewhat more recently I did see a clip from one of the later ones. It showed some things like slugs flying around that silly bridge in London in really shit CGI, which gives me another reason not to want to watch it.

Also, Start Warts. I remember thinking it was too silly to want to watch when the first one came out. fcuking princesses in space and some bloke called Skywalker because he was a space man. Chicken's tits. Again I did see a bit of one of them by chance once and it didn't impress me much.


Alright Shania Twain!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 17357
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by thekungfury @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:32 am

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I never saw it at the time and didnt get round to seeing it when it came out on VHS/TV. Then it became a Thing that I’d never seen FBDO so I won’t watch it, despite being sent 2 copies by friends.

I can’t see that I’ll ever watch the ABBA films or La-La Land either. I’m sure they’re fine but they aren’t aimed at me. Same for Brokeback Mountain. I don’t like seeing men kiss. I guess that’s technically homophobia but I don’t like seeing fat people kiss or old people or ugly people kiss either. So rather than it being homophobic I think it’s more a case of when people I don’t find attractive kiss it turns me off.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 36193
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:15 am

I watched La La Land so I could definitively tell people how awful it was. Unfortunately, I loved it.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13532
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Dirk @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:22 am

thekungfury wrote:Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. I never saw it at the time and didnt get round to seeing it when it came out on VHS/TV. Then it became a Thing that I’d never seen FBDO so I won’t watch it, despite being sent 2 copies by friends.

I tried to watch FBDO once when I came home drunk. EVen though it seemed the perfect film for when drunk I found it shit
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 31107
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by minimoog @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:28 am

Avatar. Never seen it. Never gonna see it.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9838
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Strawman wrote:Because you know already you'd hate them, it's a mean thread idea because it might ruin someones enjoyment of a film they liked before but oh well

Image

I did try to watch a bit of this when it arrived on Netflix but quickly turned it off, so was pleased to find this damming review

We open in a fcuking airport. A fcuking AIRPORT!!! Of course Love Actually, the apex of cynically vacant faux-motional cash-grab garbage cinema would hang its BIG METAPHOR on the bleak, empathy-stripped cathedral of turgid bureaucracy known as “the airport.” Of course. And then, of course, Hugh Grant’s voice pipes in to tell us how inspiring and magical the airport is, because when you’re at the airport you can’t help but notice that “love actually IS all around.” THE fcuking AIRPORT!!!!!


Continues here
https://jezebel.com/i-rewatched-love-ac ... 1485136388


I hate LA but I think I hate that article more. I couldn’t finish it, and i finished LA. Is the author trying to get a job with Vice? They love those, “I’m all right-on but still swear” Rampling pieces too.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39465
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by span @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:That review made me see that film in a whole new light, and not a good one either.

Yeah I felt the same. I still love it, thankfully I'm quite shallow, but I think the article was bang on. Probably not as bad as the hilarious almost-rape on Richard Curtis's The Boat That Rocked but a Bit Questionable all the same.

I watched a great film for the first time last night named Die Hard - I really enjoyed it! But even then I was thinking 'yeah yeah, awful woman thinks she wants career in floaty-lala-California instead of a decent sweaty man in salt-of-the-earth-New-York, so then he rescues all the non-macho people with his muscles and sweat and not-minding-getting-shot and she's all swoon'

It's exhausting having modern sensibilities. It was a good film though, we're going to watch the second one soon - Mr Span promises it's even more Christmassy!!!
User avatar
span
 
Posts: 7350
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by S1K @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Musicals, including La-la-land

Superhero films. I suppose there might be the odd exception, like I watched Deadpool, but I don't want to watch the X-men films or the Guardians of the Galaxy or Spiderman or anything like that.

Lovey-dovey girls films, including Love Actually

Anything with Steven Seagal in it
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7033
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Zod @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:54 pm

I hat that I saw Titanic at the cinema. At least I ruined it for everyone else by scoffing at the CGI near the beginning and laughing when Leo sank.

The vastly popular movie I have never seen and actively wish not to see is Avatar.
User avatar
Zod
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 11:35 am

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by S1K @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:29 pm

I haven't seen Titanic or Avatar either.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 7033
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Films that were hugely popular that you will never watch

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:22 pm

span wrote:
Clown Ice Skater #4 wrote:That review made me see that film in a whole new light, and not a good one either.

Yeah I felt the same. I still love it, thankfully I'm quite shallow, but I think the article was bang on. Probably not as bad as the hilarious almost-rape on Richard Curtis's The Boat That Rocked but a Bit Questionable all the same.


I think we are, as we often seem to be, singing from the same hymn sheet here. I enjoyed LA when I first saw it and even cried at some bits. I'm the first to admit though that my critical abilities are not the best and it was only after I read that review I realised how genuinely wrong some of the things in LA are. Now, when I see Colin Firth uselessly dithering as the only copy of his (probably terrible) novel which is conveniently on paper in an age when no writer ever would do that, is blown into the water as he sits outside in fcuking winter, the great posh tw@t, thus allowing the servant he patronises to suddenly add objectification to her CV even though she can't understand English, the poor, stupid, forrin cah, it loses something of its magic.

span wrote:I watched a great film for the first time last night named Die Hard - I really enjoyed it! But even then I was thinking 'yeah yeah, awful woman thinks she wants career in floaty-lala-California instead of a decent sweaty man in salt-of-the-earth-New-York, so then he rescues all the non-macho people with his muscles and sweat and not-minding-getting-shot and she's all swoon'

It's exhausting having modern sensibilities. It was a good film though, we're going to watch the second one soon - Mr Span promises it's even more Christmassy!!!


The first two Die Hard films are the best. The subsequent ones are a bit shit really and I think you should pretend that they ended at II.
User avatar
Clown Ice Skater #4
 
Posts: 3527
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am
Location: Melos Station


Return to Nervy's Culture Club

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles