Vespa 125 Nuova Restoration

Two wheels good.

Re: Vespa 125 Nuova Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:17 am

Bugger all done yesterday.
New cable set arrived and when comparing them with the 2 I'd already fitted it appeared the gear ones already fitted were wrong.
Out they came and then I re-fitted them and the clutch cable and throttle cable.

The rear brake needs 2 normal bolts and one that bolts into a captive nut. It arrived and there was no way it was going to fit.
Here's where it fits and the parts diagram of the part- no. 33 and 34:

Here's what fvcking arrived. It's the only captive nut available for this model:

Sp I've ordered this part from a nut and bolt place and hopefully it'll work:

Oh I fitted the head bolts and torqued them down.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:37 am

I forget, what's the plan with this one, going to sell it on after?
Deuteronomy

Post by Paul H @ Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 am

Il Duce wrote:... and torqued them down.

Isn't that what the Samaritans do? Surely nuts are torqued up to a specific value, not down.

Sorry for pedantry. Keep up the good thread!
Paul H

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:48 am

Deuteronomy wrote:I forget, what's the plan with this one, going to sell it on after?

Yes. Orange one is going to Italy. Red one will be for sale. I may look for another project.
It shouldn't be a problem as it's quite rare. They only made 17000 of them.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:52 am

Paul H wrote:
Il Duce wrote:... and torqued them down.

Isn't that what the Samaritans do? Surely nuts are torqued up to a specific value, not down.

Sorry for pedantry. Keep up the good thread!

Well you learn something new every day.
I learned today that I need to poke you in the eye with a torque wrench.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:09 am

Yesterday was lovely so I spent some time in the garden, cutting back my vine. What a lovely change from cursing at the lack of parts for the red bastard.
Then I went for a spin on the Orange one with the new hotter spark plug fitted. Different animal, rode beautifully. Sorted!

Back in the garage and I fitted the manifold studs and the manifold elbow.

I then found out that there is an inlet manifold that goes between the end of it and the carb.
And it's missing. Shit.

Ok time to fit the rear light to cheer me up. Fitted the grommet, pulled the wires through and bolted it on.
Job done!

Then I clamped the cable into the rear brake assembly
Fitted the new captive nut I'd bought, connected the brake switch wires and wiggled the whole thing into place
Fitted the bolts and job done!
Then with the aid of some 3 in 1 oil I pulled all the wires and cables through the anus rubber grommet
Then I drilled some holes and fitted the mudguard crest
I tried fitting the front fork but after putting on all of the bearings and lock washers I didn't have any thread left for the last bolt. I checked the diagram and it seems that I was fitting the wrong bearing on the bottom of the fork. It was too thick hence the problem. Put the correct one in and Hey Presto! job done.
Then the speedo worm drive was fitted along with the bottom bolt. Still missing a clip to hold the cable in the hub. Feck!
Then I mounted the hub and found there were no brake pads, duly ordered, and no bastard nuts for anything- order in progress.
Then I degreased the engine.

Finally I was frozen so I went inside for a beer and didn't come back.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:55 pm

It's a shame the speedo's gone all yellow, can you get new faces for them? Or is it the sort of thing where you have to scan the original and then print a copy on some yellowing-proof substrate with a monochrome laser printer?
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:36 am

New genuine Veglia speedo is £150
New face and lens would be £50
New non-genuine speedo £40.

I'm up to £450 on parts so far and still more to go, and that's if the engine starts without exploding so the old speedo is going to have to do. It's an easy change, just one screw so I'll wait until it's finished before I change it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:16 am

Il Duce wrote:New genuine Veglia speedo is £150
New face and lens would be £50
New non-genuine speedo £40.

I'm up to £450 on parts so far and still more to go, and that's if the engine starts without exploding so the old speedo is going to have to do. It's an easy change, just one screw so I'll wait until it's finished before I change it.

Found a non-genuine speedo for £15. Yay! Lucky really as when trying to disassemble the old one, I managed to totally shag it.

Not much done yesterday due to the temperature. Bit of wiring and the final cables routed through the front fork.

Shit load of parts ordered so Thursday should be more productive.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:31 pm

ID, the fixing on the inlet elbow shows far too few threads engaged, has the stud snapped at some point?

I'd fit a longer one and get more of the nut on the thread.

Great progress though!
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Deuteronomy wrote:ID, the fixing on the inlet elbow shows far too few threads engaged, has the stud snapped at some point?

I'd fit a longer one and get more of the nut on the thread.

Great progress though!

Ta. Well spotted!
Nope, brand new studs. The nut isn't the correct one: it's too deep. The one on the other side is perfect.
I just wanted something to hold it while I was washing it to stop any water going into the engine.

Yet ANOTHER part I had to order.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:18 am

Deuts was right about the nuts/studs. It appears that the studs weren't the right ones. Luckily I had a pair from the orange rebuild and they fitted perfectly and allowed the nuts be tightened until flush.

Next I fitted my sexy gold inlet manifold

Remember I fitted the light. Well it was from a later model (made of plastic) and the original was made of metal. I had one but there wasn't a bulb holder like this:

So it was out with the Dremel and a tiny cutting disc and I cut away the bulb holder from the plastic one and mounted it in the metal frame (Pigeon will be proud of me)

And then the proper light was fitted to the scooter:

Fitted the horn but the gasket was the wrong size (it should be showing 2mm around the edge of the horn)
sso another part to order

Then I found out I'd pulled the throttle cable through on the lh side of the column instead of the right so i changed that

Then I fitted the brake pads and discovered that there is a tiny circlip needed for the pivot.
Another part to order

And finally the shock got mounted. I had all the parts except a penny washer. The hole on the one I ordered was too big so I found one in my nutsandbolts box but the hole was too small so I drilled it out and hey presto job done.

Time for lunch!

No updates this Thursday or Sunday as I'm off to Italy on Friday for a long weekend. How will you cope?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Il Duce wrote:
So it was out with the Dremel and a tiny cutting disc and I cut away the bulb holder from the plastic one and mounted it in the metal frame (Pigeon will be proud of me)

And finally the shock got mounted. I had all the parts except a penny washer. The hole on the one I ordered was too big so I found one in my nutsandbolts box but the hole was too small so I drilled it out and hey presto job done.

See? You're now using power tools! It'll soon be angle grinders and welders and oxy-acetylene bottles and goggles and all as you get into the swing of RestoThread!.

It won't just be Pigeon, we're all proud of you.

<wipes dear from eye>
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 pm

tanglerat wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

See? You're now using power tools! It'll soon be angle grinders and welders and oxy-acetylene bottles and goggles and all as you get into the swing of RestoThread!.

<wipes dear from eye>

In fact, isn't a Dremel really a kind of miniaturized wee angle grinder, really?
tanglerat

Post by Strawman @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:26 pm

How small is the deer that it can fit in your eye?
Strawman

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:13 pm

tanglerat wrote:
tanglerat wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

<wipes dear from eye>

In fact, isn't a Dremel really a kind of miniaturized wee angle grinder, really?

It's a million things depending on what you stick in the end of it I suppose.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:50 am

Back in the garage after the shit weather.

Fitted the tiny circlip to secure the brake shoes

Then the new proper size horn gasket in black.

Fitted a new rear light gasket in black, instead of white, to match all the other black stuff on the scooter

Fitted the correct brake grip

Now to fit the hub and shock onto the fork, aided by watching a youtube video as I did it.
Easy!

Brake hub won't go on the mounting so i took it and the shoes off only to discover they won't fit FFS!

But the rear ones do. Strange as the front and rear pads are supposed to be the same.
Wrong bloody parts again! AAAAARRRGGHHH! Before long I'll have enough wrong shit to be able to make some sort of Frankenstein scooter.

Anyway, had to take a bird out so I went in for a shower.
Turns out she was a practising white witch but I still got a snog and outside top. Disappointing as it was a padded bra.
Why do girls do that?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:31 am

Good progress Id - where the fcuk do you order your parts from??

They seem hopeless!
Deuteronomy

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am

Deuteronomy wrote:Good progress Id - where the fcuk do you order your parts from??

They seem hopeless!

Usually I order from SIP in Germany and they are brilliant but they have a minimum order of £35 so if I need something and I've just done my last order I use ebay and most of the time it's ok. Just not that time.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:17 am

Back in the garage and hard at work. NO WELDING THIS WEEK SORRY.

Let's get the headset on the little red bastard.
There you go and almost no problems apart from the blurred photo.

Then a really fiddly job. You have to make sure 3 of the outer cables go under the white plastic block in the centre but the cables have to pass through the slides... all at the same time... then you have to clamp it all down with a metal plate and two screws which you have to hold in place from the front while you screw down from above and hope they don't fall down the fork tube hole. But I managed it.
Then I had to get the barrel ends of the cables into those vertical plates on the right and left.
You can see that I've also threaded the loom to the right places and threaded the cables for the front brake and clutch through the handlebars.

On with the grips and the levers.

And finally for today the seat. It's starting to look like a scooter.

The 2nd set of front shoes arrived. They were the wrong fvckers. I've ordered the right ones from Germany.

Also remember I fitted those runners to the floor? Remember I had to buy a set? Well I found the set that came with the scooter tucked behind the two wheels so now I have a spare set.
More. Spare. Bastsards. BITS!!!!
Shitandfvckitybum!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:41 am

OK WELDING!!!!

No only kidding.

Remember Pigeon said that the speedo looked faded and I should change it so I tried and royally fvcked the perspex cover so I bought a new one. Well it turns out that the new ones don't fit properly and sit about 10mm above the headset hole instead of being flush. I couldn't find an original for love nor money so I decided it was DREMEL time!

I took the new one to bits then finished taking the old one to bits so I had a bench full of bits.
Then I took the old casing and fitted the old odometer (new one was tiny bit too wide), the new graduated face after a bit of dremeling around the edge and the new number face (after dremeling it because it was too thick in one place) then the new perspex cover and finally added the new chrome surround. Amazingly it all fitted together. It looks like this:

So no welding but I hope this has made the thread more attractive to you tool groupies.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Paul H @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:05 am

I presume it must have had MOT's in the past so not a problem, but why didn't you bung an MP/H scale in it instead of a KP/H?
Paul H

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:13 am

Paul H wrote:I presume it must have had MOT's in the past so not a problem, but why didn't you bung an MP/H scale in it instead of a KP/H?

I could only find an MPH one from India and you just DON'T buy anything from there.
Besides it's Historic so from May this year (along with anything 40+ years old) it won't need tax or MOT.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:00 am

Tools. fcuk yeah, tools!
tanglerat

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:42 am

tanglerat wrote:Tools. fcuk yeah, tools!

DREEMEEEEEELLLLL! YEAH!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:34 am

No gym last night and a box of parts had arrived so it was into the garage for some swearing.

Chrome surround fitted

Finally a set of shoes that fit

Then on with the hub

Then the wheel

Then wire the headlamp

Then fit it

Then the chrome outer ring
Then the 125 chrome badge

And finally the Piaggio badge

It's starting to take shape.

I connected the front brake but it was a bit sticky so I took off the wheel and drum and wire brushed the pad contact area as it was full of rust. Back together and it still sticks on. Looks like I'll have to strip it back down and grease the brake lever shaft in the hub. Also re: the mounting point with the tiny circlip on it- would a tiny bit of normal grease be ok or should I find some copperslip to go there?

NB powdercoating may seem a good idea but in some places the tolerances are so fine that I'm having to file away the thick paint just to get things to fit. Also there are some threaded holes with paint on them which is such a pain to clean.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Paul H @ Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 am

Il Duce wrote:Also there are some threaded holes with paint on them which is such a pain to clean.

Tap and die set?
Paul H

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:31 am

Paul H wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Also there are some threaded holes with paint on them which is such a pain to clean.

Tap and die set?

Damn you man!
I looked to see how much they are just to tell you it's not worth buying a set for a few holes... and I ended up buying a set because they were much cheaper than I expected. 21pc Draper for £15
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:39 am

Il Duce wrote:
Paul H wrote:

Tap and die set?

Damn you man!
I looked to see how much they are just to tell you it's not worth buying a set for a few holes... and I ended up buying a set because they were much cheaper than I expected. 21pc Draper for £15

:laugh:

We are witnessing the descent of a man on his way to full-on spannering.
tanglerat

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:48 am

tanglerat wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Paul H wrote:

Tap and die set?

Damn you man!

:laugh:

We are witnessing the descent of a man on his way to full-on spannering.

Tell me about it.
So far: Socket set, 2 spanner sets, feeler gauges, centre punch, circlip pliers, soft hammer, torque wrench, boxes of nuts, bolts, washers and locking washers, Dremel, new drill, vernier caliper, soldering iron and a bloody hydraulic scooter platform.
And that's without the bearing pullers, clutch puller and various other specialist Vespa tools.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat