Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Bit of helmet care advice - once they get a small dent in them, their integrity drops off a bit (well at least that used to be the thinking - don’t know if it still applies?) One thing a lot of people do is rest their helmets on the bike seats and they do have a habit of jumping off and hitting the floor and taking damage.

Right, dull lecture over. Nice choice on your new lid. Looking forward to seeing what bike you get next.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm

>ignores S1K<

Thanks!

I was quite impressed by how jeans-y the Kevlar jeans were. One brand they had, Red Route, came fully lined and with armour at the knees and hips, and a connecting zip - and still looked essentially exactly like just jeans. Anyone would think you hadn't just arrived on a motorbike, except you'd be carrying a crash helmet.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Yeah you’d never guess mine wear bike specific ones. I’d happily wear them as normals as they’re so nice, but they’re a little too heavy/robust.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minimoog @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I’d happily wear them as normals as they’re so nice, but they’re a little too heavy/robust.

That's as nothing to the selvedge boys.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 pm

My helmet arrived yesterday, together with some boots that I'd also ordered and forgot to mention. The helmet is actually really nice and looks like it should have cost a fortune.

You'll laugh at me (you bikers) for my boots, but I wanted the safest things I could get* and also waterproof. And something that I could still use whatever sort of bike I eventually end up getting. They're RST Paragon 2s. They look like a spaceman's wellies, but they're surprisingly dead comfy and snug:

I feel like I'm almost ready to rumble now, but I still need gloves. I've been looking at RST Blades and Spidi Voyagers, as well as some GoreTex Richa numbers.

As usual I've got no real idea what I'm doing, so will just throw my credit card at someone and hope I don't have to find out I bought the wrong things by falling off onto my frail wrists.

I will say this though; I've bought my things from sportsbikeshop, and their service is genuinely exemplary. Next working day delivery, for free. Good prices. Extravagant levels of communication and the packaging was brilliant. The helmet arrived in a box in a box in a box. Cor.

* afford
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:15 pm

I bet you've been walking round the house in the boots.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Good buying Dath.

I’ll be interested to hear how Waterproof the boots are. Over the years I’ve found few boots live up to the claim on long rides but haven’t bought new boots for a while so things may have moved on. I find Daytona make great boots, too late now ofc.

Gloves wise, you might need summer and winter gloves as big warm, waterproof gloves are waaay too hot and imprecise for summer use - I’d advise not trying to buy an all year glove as they don’t exist. Rukka make good, properly waterproof gloves.

If you’re buying textiles, goretex pro (sometimes called laminate) is the way forward but horrifically expensive. However, I saw that Oxford are making an affordable set in a magazine the other day. I’ve got the Rukka pro stuff and it’s quite astonishingly waterproof. I once rode for 10 hours in monsoon like European storms for the whole 10 hours and stayed dry while a mate was quite close to suicide in quite expensive Dianese textiles.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Infinity have a cracking deal on my jacket https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/pro ... OQQAvD_BwE

But appreciate it’s probably to big an investment at this stage. It would definitely last you ten years plus though and is truly brilliant for any weather you’ll ever find but I can sense I can’t persuade you.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:46 pm

They've got a cracking deal seemingly because there are literally no sizes left in stock.

I actually bought a Held jacket several weeks ago, pre-empting my whole motorcycling quest.

It's this:

which I admit I bought mostly because I thought it was cool, but it turns out to have a full waterproof membrane, full armour, full length connecting zip and loads of zipable pockets. And it's cool.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:47 pm

If also quite like to pick up an armoured leather jacket, because firstly I like leather jackets and secondly I understand they're pretty good against the abrasion of sliding down the road.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Ooh I’ve got a Held summer jacket, really impressed with it so hope yours is good. Yours is very Barboury, quelle surprise.
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm

I know, incroyable!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 pm

I like your jacket datho!

Mildly related but a mate was on London at the weekend and bought me these hipster goldtop X Bike Shed gloves for the Triumph:

I love them even though they can’t possibly be as good as my Astars or as warm and waterproof as my winter gloves.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:02 pm

They are good gloves but I didn't want to see them actual size.
Strawman

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Strawman wrote:They are good gloves but I didn't want to see them actual size.

Hmm, I may not have fully mastere the photo uploaded yet, soz!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Very nice! I have some Roland Sands ones similar to those but in black.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by moleamol @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:37 pm

Did Donald Trump return those gloves because the fingers were too short Dis?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 pm

moleamol wrote:Did Donald Trump return those gloves because the fingers were too short Dis?

They’re completely normal size L you lunatic!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by minimoog @ Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:53 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Image

Love this and want despite no intention of riding a bike.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello again!

I've just remembered it's the first session of my big bike DAS tomorrow. I'm properly looking forward to it, especially as I haven't been on a bike at all for the last few weeks after doing my CBT. I hope I remember how it all works!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Disastrous wrote:I like your jacket datho!

Mildly related but a mate was on London at the weekend and bought me these hipster goldtop X Bike Shed gloves for the Triumph:

I love them even though they can’t possibly be as good as my Astars or as warm and waterproof as my winter gloves.

Ooh. I bought some gloves as well. They are AlpineStars ones, and they are reputedly waterproof, and they are warm. Sort of a three-season glove, I suppose. And they are brown, which I like because I'm homespun and artisanally waxed, as you know:

Wow! What a colossal pic!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Previous

Return to Bike Chat