Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I quite enjoy riding in the rain. Decent kit and a big adventure bike helps, I never liked it on a sports bike.

I'm sure my kit is ordinary at best, but I've yet to get anything more than inconvenienced by the rain. My gloves have been brilliant in fact, and totes w/proof so far.

thekungfury wrote:I only have experience of riding a push bike bike in the heavy rain and my worry isn’t falling off it’s being seen by other drivers. Same as fog, dark, low sun.

Is that fear not the same for motorbikes? Reduced visibility in side mirrors would concern me.

True enough, but there's a lot more awareness and much further ahead on a motorbike than on a bicycle. At the greater speeds, you end up having a sort of cone of awareness that extends from immediately ahead of you to almost the horizon. Whereas on the bicycle it's much more confined to immediate surroundings. You really do have to be ready for anything anybody might do, and like on a bike you have to presume the worst will happen because that's all that's keeping you safe. Listen to me! Sounds like I know what I'm talking about!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by ttwiggy @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:29 pm

I used to own a Caterham, but got rid of it as I always felt rather vulnerable in it. I was (I believe) an experienced enough driver to understand where the risks were likely to occur, but having to think about those risks all the time rather took away the pleasure. I wonder if it's the same for bikers?
ttwiggy

Post by Monty @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:48 pm

I used to hate riding in the rain.
In all fairness though I never bothered having the right wet weather gear being a colossal cheap-skate. I'd just keep an eye on the weather & take the car instead, mostly.
I'd bask in the choice of car or bike having not had the option for the many years of not having a car licence (all of the 80's & a bit of the 90's). So I always felt that I'd done my 'bit' when it came to riding in all weathers!
Wet weather gear was basically crap when I had to ride in all weathers...including snow.

I do cycle in the rain (with lights) and try to be as visible as possible putting all my motorbiking experience of everyone is out to kill you as they've not seen you. It's stopping that can also be the problem in the wet on both types of two wheels!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by S1K @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:59 pm

I often find that motorcyclists, normally on a 125 with learner plates, are following me too close behind while I’m driving. My car’s brakes are much better than the brakes on a motorbike so if I have to slam on for any reason they’ll be straight into the back of me.

For those of you on bikes, please for your own sake leave a decent gap to the car in front.
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:24 pm

S1K wrote:I often find that motorcyclists, normally on a 125 with learner plates, are following me too close behind while I’m driving. My car’s brakes are much better than the brakes on a motorbike so if I have to slam on for any reason they’ll be straight into the back of me.

For those of you on bikes, please for your own sake leave a decent gap to the car in front.

Piss off to PH with your preaching! We need more organ donors ok?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 pm

thekungfury wrote:I only have experience of riding a push bike bike in the heavy rain and my worry isn’t falling off it’s being seen by other drivers. Same as fog, dark, low sun.

Is that fear not the same for motorbikes? Reduced visibility in side mirrors would concern me.

It’s a much more assertive style on a bike than a bike so you don’t tend to be overtaken. In cities in the rain it’s a bit dodge however for those reasons - I find it much safer on the open road.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:

It’s a much more assertive style on a bike than a bike so you don’t tend to be overtaken. In cities in the rain it’s a bit dodge however for those reasons - I find it much safer on the open road.
Without wanting to come across a bit ph, you definitely can dominate your road position on a motorbike, and you also have the power to get out of any awkward spot "positively" , if that makes sense?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Tell me about motorbikes

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 pm

I was more thinking about overtaking a car that can barely see you coming with spray and wet side mirrors

Same for them changing lanes in front of you
Last edited by thekungfury on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:25 pm

You have to assume they haven't seen you coming anyway. tbh, they probably actually haven't. But you assume they haven't anyway because it's your neck. But either way, if you're overtaking you'll be past and gone like that :keysersoze:

Also, eye contact is really important I think - just like on a bike. You read the 'body language' of the cars, but you also connect with drivers in a way that people seem to avoid doing when you're both behind the wheel.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Datho gets it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:04 pm

Marry him
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by S1K @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:10 pm

Tokes and Damo up a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:18 pm

S1K wrote:Tokes and Damo up a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G
F-I-L-T-E-R-I-N-G
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:29 am

S1K wrote:Tokes and Damo up a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G

because there was bloody diesel on the bend
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:43 am

I turns out after all my flannel about riding blithely in the pouring rain, I am a fair weather biker after all because I chose to come to work in the car today instead of slaloming my way through recycling bags swirling through the air when they'd been left out for the bin men this morning.

I was further shamed into feeling like a ponce when I saw a handful of other rider valiantly battling through the gusts as I drove in. Sadface. Tellingly though, every time I drive somewhere, I wish I was on my bike riding there instead. Even in weather.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:22 pm

None of us will judge you though.
Bottom line is riding in the wet, even with all the right gear, is properly shit - less traction, less visibility, steamy visor, damp something, shit. RIding in the wet in the dark and the cold is even shitter.

If you have the option to to drive in those conditions, then go for it.

Also, riding in strong gusty winds is pretty terrifying too. One of my scariest experience was riding back to uni down the M3 on my TZR250 with incredibly strong side winds. When blowing, in order to stay straight, I actually had to lean over. And then of course when gust would stop and youre lent over which then immediately starts you changing lanes. After about 5 miles of this I had to get off and take quieter roads.

I also had a horrific ride down from Surrey to Lands End (for the eclipse in 99 I think) - it rained the entire way down and I didn’t have the right gear so my leathers were soaked through, water in boots, the works. The most miserable I’d ever been I think. But then of course the sun came out for the last 10 miles and everything was glorious again.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:06 pm

>badweatherfistbump<

Now, even if the sun comes out for five minutes, my immediate thought is "oh, I wish I was on the bike!"
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by wi11iam @ Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:49 pm

You’ve got it bad DaTho!

That’s the kind of crap I spout about the caterham. And no one falls for that either.
wi11iam

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:11 pm

wi11iam wrote:You’ve got it bad DaTho!

That’s the kind of crap I spout about the caterham. And no one falls for that either.
Yow absolutely right though. This is the honeymoon right now, where everything's wonderful.

It'll wear off. Eventually.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 am

Redeemed!

I rode in today in spite of Gareth blowing and raining like a tw@t. Because I knew there was a 25 minute queue on the DC on my way to work.

Not for me!

Haha, stupid cars.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Redeemed!

I rode in today in spite of Gareth blowing and raining like a tw@t. Because I knew there was a 25 minute queue on the DC on my way to work.

Not for me!

Haha, stupid cars.

:D

It's really enjoyable how enjoyable you're finding this!
span

Post by Dirk @ Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:08 am

Does anyone else have a slight tinge of worry that Datho's confidence is rising too quickly?

I only raise it Datho because its great to hear about you enjoying it, but we don't want a Datho shaped hole left in CTF if something happens. Take care out those OK?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:42 am

Alright, mum!

I am careful though.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dirk @ Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:08 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Alright, mum!

I am careful though.

Don't you speak to me in that tone young feller me lad or you'll be going nowhere on your infernal machine

Have you got a vest on?
Have you eaten any fruit today?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Previous

Return to Bike Chat