Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Ha, I suspect so yes.

She never has to know.
Just buy an identical bike and tell her they fixed it.
Saying that, buy any bike, she won't know the difference will she?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm thinking about what to replace my bike with, when the time comes around. It'll be a little way off yet, but you can never be too early with dreaming, can you? It might be nice to time it so I can be buying just after Christmas when prices are glum and suppressed, but I don't suppose I'll have all my payouts by then. Anyway.

What do people think about cruiser style bikes? I always used to think they were for people who didn't really like riding, but possibly due to an undiagnosed head injury I'm starting to change my mind and really liking the idea.

This sort of thing:

Not a HD, but possibly something Jappy along those lines...
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 pm

That'd probably be well comfortable on the arms.
To my utter shame I had a Z250 in the mid 80's that I bought 2nd hand. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking, but in my defence, those were different times!
Anyway, this thing had been fitted with high bars & a kind of nose fairing that had two holes port & starboard...presumably to fit one's speakers in! I think the intention was to get it to look like the thing Prince rode around on in a film he was in of that era.
It handled like a shopping trolley and looked bloody awful but was the most comfortable bike I've ever owned! Not I have to say unlike that...however I imagine that would actually be able to go round corners properly!
Monty

Post by Strawman @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:46 pm

Did you have the outfit to go with it Monty?

Strawman

Post by Monty @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:47 pm

Yes...that's it!

And...no, I didn't thanks heavens!
Monty

Post by Turntable @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I'm thinking about what to replace my bike with, when the time comes around. It'll be a little way off yet, but you can never be too early with dreaming, can you? It might be nice to time it so I can be buying just after Christmas when prices are glum and suppressed, but I don't suppose I'll have all my payouts by then. Anyway.

What do people think about cruiser style bikes? I always used to think they were for people who didn't really like riding, but possibly due to an undiagnosed head injury I'm starting to change my mind and really liking the idea.

I used to be exactly the same. Same as I used to thein 4x4s were for people who didn't like driving.
You just get older and you enjoy things differently I think.
That said, I reckon the idea of a cruiser is much nicer than the reality.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by NNK @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm

You def need to ride a cruiser before committing.
I loathe riding them, pushing them around and am not a big fan of the look (apart from the odd Harley but could never bring myself to go there).
Mates that have them go full throttle on straights then hold everyone up wobbling round corners - grrrrr.
They say its a relaxed , cruising position but are always the first ones to want to stop for a break.

Didn't you fancy a Triumph Bonneville at some point ?
NNK

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:49 pm

Yes, still do. I like all sorts of things (except sorts bikes. I don't want one of them really).
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Frik @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:58 pm

Sorry to hear about you off, DT. Shame it was on your bike and not one of Nerv's brittle Italians.

How's the mend going?
Frik

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:50 pm

Frik wrote:How's the mend going?

Pretty good thanks F.

Bones are pretty much healed up, albeit lumpy and likely to stay that way. I've got physio on Monday, and hopefully they'll just tell me to get on with things and do what I want.

I'm convinced that the residual discomfort will get gone with a bit of exercise.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Frik @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Good to hear. Chicks dig scars too, right?
Frik

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 pm

Well Mrs Thorn is certainly intrigued by the scar left from where they inserted the drain tube for the fluid on my lung, if that's what you meant.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:23 am

I used to be a sports bike zoomy zoomy man but with age and illness experiences I’m definitely more into a relaxed experience, hence my love of a Triumph Bobber.

I quite like those Honda Rebels, even though they’re just a measly 500cc. That one you posted is heavily customised though.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:09 pm

GingerNinja wrote:I used to be a sports bike zoomy zoomy man but with age and illness experiences I’m definitely more into a relaxed experience, hence my love of a Triumph Bobber.

I quite like those Honda Rebels, even though they’re just a measly 500cc. That one you posted is heavily customised though.

I'll give you a yes to every point you've made here. I like the Bobber, I like the Rebel 500, and I picked that example because I thought it looked neatly custom.

But I'm still on a measly budget, unless I somehow get a massive payout from the insurance - so no Triumph for me.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:14 pm

Hope you’ve put in a PI claim Damo. Could be a few bob in it.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:21 pm

That's part of what's ongoing, but I doubt it would come to much.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:I used to be a sports bike zoomy zoomy man but with age and illness experiences I’m definitely more into a relaxed experience, hence my love of a Triumph Bobber.

I'll give you a yes to every point you've made here. I like the Bobber, I like the Rebel 500, and I picked that example because I thought it looked neatly custom.

But I'm still on a measly budget, unless I somehow get a massive payout from the insurance - so no Triumph for me.

Any idea what revised budget might be?
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:19 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

Any idea what revised budget might be?
Not much of a clue yet, really. South of 5k though, whatever.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:36 pm

Hmmm, could be a fun bike hunt when you have the cash and inclination.

A low mileage used Rebel should be under £5K as they’re only just over that new.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Dis, your freebie Chinese bike was a Herald wasn't it?

They've just announced a new brace of bikes which to my eye look fab. The Brat:

There'll be a 125 and a 250. And either of them weigh almost literally nothing at all.

http://www.heraldmotorcompany.com/our-bikes/brat-125/

IIRC, yours was a 250?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:02 pm

There's Mutt Motorcycles and Brixton who also rebadge Chinese bikes if you fancy that sort of thing.
GingerNinja

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Dis, your freebie Chinese bike was a Herald wasn't it?

They've just announced a new brace of bikes which to my eye look fab. The Brat:

There'll be a 125 and a 250. And either of them weigh almost literally nothing at all.

http://www.heraldmotorcompany.com/our-bikes/brat-125/

IIRC, yours was a 250?

Yeah, mine was the 250. I’d be very careful if you were considering one though. Although the engine was fine, all the bolts and screws were cheap Chinese shit and starting to show signs of corrosion after a year, even though it lived in a garage and was never near the rain.

Not a terrible bike but also not really something I’d buy.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:07 pm

GingerNinja wrote:There's Mutt Motorcycles and Brixton who also rebadge Chinese bikes if you fancy that sort of thing.
Yup. But apparently this Herald is their own UK design for the first time. Looks brill, but as mentioned I'd still be concerned about build quality.

Also, while I love the idea of a lightweight, buzzy, nimble bike for hilarious fun, I very don't like the idea of a weedy, wearing feebler that can't get out of its own way.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Dirk @ Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:19 pm

Disastrous wrote: and was never near the rain.

In Glasgow.

As credible as an Italian claiming that a clutch failure wasn't down to his driving style
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:30 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:There's Mutt Motorcycles and Brixton who also rebadge Chinese bikes if you fancy that sort of thing.
Yup. But apparently this Herald is their own UK design for the first time. Looks brill, but as mentioned I'd still be concerned about build quality.

Also, while I love the idea of a lightweight, buzzy, nimble bike for hilarious fun, I very don't like the idea of a weedy, wearing feebler that can't get out of its own way.

Yeah, they’re that cheap for a reason.
GingerNinja

Post by NNK @ Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:56 am

I wonder when my wife will notice that her Vespa 250GTS is now wearing a full Gianelli exhaust system.
NNK

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 am

NNK wrote:I wonder when my wife will notice that her Vespa 250GTS is now wearing a full Gianelli exhaust system.

Like the exhaust. Don't like the 4 stroke.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Aesgarth @ Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:38 pm

How goes the recovery DaTho?
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:02 am

I was discharged from seeing the orthopedic consultant this week, although I've still got physio carrying on.

More in the morning as it's my bed time now.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:42 pm

I've been to the physio again this morning, last time until well into January. Again he was amazed at the progress I'm making - I've regained 95%+ of the range of movement in my shoulder, and most of the discomfort at movement has now gone. Now I only struggle with stretching across in front of my torso with that arm, or with lying on that side/shoulder in bed - both of those things are still pretty uncomfortable.

But as the physio pointed out, that's pretty impressive considering less than ten weeks ago I smashed the collar bone into "a thousand pieces".

So I've been moved from the series of mobility exercises I've been doing, onto strength recovery exercises using a Theraband. A big rubber band, basically, to give resistance to exercise motion.

I'm really pleased how it's all panned out, as I've been working hard on the exercises so far to make this progress: getting up half an hour earlier every morning in order to fit in an extra set first thing xxxx. Mrs Thorn caught me doing them the other morning and accused me of putting more effort into that than she does when she goes to the gym.

The main leftover problems now are a bit of nerve damage that leave my arm and hand numb and stiff in the morning, and a sticky tendon that means one of my fingers won't bend properly if I'm making a fist say. But then 'pings' into place when the tendon releases. Bit of a nuisance, and looks weird. But I've got some more physio exercises to do to combat that.

Well done NHS! #notforsale
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat