Ducati 999 / 749

Two wheels good.

Ducati 999 / 749

Post by StuR @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:01 am

Not sure whether this will get much feedback in here, C2 being the only one I know of with a duke.

I'm looking for a bike which will get used both on the road and track. I'm not bothered about the straight line speed aspect, more handling and overall experience than anything else. To date I've been quite set on getting a 600 but I'm really not that taken by them.

The last bike I tried out was a triumph 675, which really ticks all the right boxes but I'm not all that comfortable on the bike from the off, it feels like a mini moto. Smaller than I ever remember the 999 being, and the position of the bars on the triumph really isn't for me.

So I've been back looking at the run of the mill 1000cc bikes, R1's being at the top of the list. However, I've only recently realised how much I really do like the look of the 999/749 Ducati's, when once I didn't like them at all, and I'd love something a bit different to the usual thrashy jap 4's, as exciting as they are I'd rather have something a little more special.

I'm 6'3 and quite well padded though, something I fear will work against me with Dukes. I've rode a 1098 and found it to be surprisingly roomy and not too cramped at all, but it's been a long time since I threw a leg over a 999.

Basically, am I living in dream world thinking I might be able to get away with one being as I'm a bit of a fat bastid and 6'3? I'm more keen to get on track than anything else with my next bike, but it'll be seeing road use on the weekends for runs out and so on. I don't mind not being comfortable, as long as it's not chronic back ache, I'll suffer a bit if that's what it takes :lol:

Also, what's the servicing and general running costs like on the 999? I'm aware of ducati's reputation for reliability, though I'm under the impression that they're a lot better than they used to be, anything big to look out for aside of the telltale crashed signs, corrosion and a FDSH?

Cheers,
Stu :wink:
StuR

Post by 3oh8 @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:05 am

I love a Ducati as much as the next guy, but if youre tracking it, youre a big bloke and youre worried about servicing and reliability (The Dukes are loads better than they were mind you), get something Japanese.

I wont go into specifics and I dont want to be bias, but anything starting R and ending in 1 is ideal.

But then I would say that...

On a more helpful note, Aprillia RSV Mille Factory - you can get a v.good S/H one for around 5k now, different, not jap, possibly roomier than a Duke and better looking.

Honda SP2? All the charm of a twin and all the engineering of Honda

Im not sure if the 749 might feel a bit pedestrian after a while...?

:twisted:
3oh8

Post by randlemarcus @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:17 am

Seconded on the Aprilia, set up right, and the damn thing is thought controlled, rather than steerable. Huge amounts of torque, and decent top end stuff when you need it. Its a reasonably big bike, so ought not to be a problem for you at 6.3, and the riding position is committed, rather than spine crushing.
randlemarcus

Post by StuR @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:09 pm

Cheers chaps.

The millie and SP1/ SP2 are the few remaining twins I've any real interest in, more specifically the SP2 as I love em. If at all possible though I'd love a 999.
One thing that concerns me about them is the limited tank range and thirst they get, though I've no idea how the duke fairs in comparison.

I don't mind running costs and the like, as this will basically be replacing my skyline for a while until I get another car sorted later in the year, which cost a bomb to run when it wanted to.

Must admit I had no idea the millie's were as competent as they are on track, but some of the videos on youtube, and the reviews point to them being a lot better than I'd expected.
StuR

Post by 3oh8 @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:47 pm

StuR wrote:Cheers chaps.

The millie and SP1/ SP2 are the few remaining twins I've any real interest in, more specifically the SP2 as I love em. If at all possible though I'd love a 999.
One thing that concerns me about them is the limited tank range and thirst they get, though I've no idea how the duke fairs in comparison.

I don't mind running costs and the like, as this will basically be replacing my skyline for a while until I get another car sorted later in the year, which cost a bomb to run when it wanted to.

Must admit I had no idea the millie's were as competent as they are on track, but some of the videos on youtube, and the reviews point to them being a lot better than I'd expected.

On those points, anecdotally Ive heard nothing but good reports for Milles on the track myself and re the SP2 - Ive a nagging feeling its potentially the thirstiest of all the bikes listed so far. Might be worth researching.

While we're talking twins, can admit to always having had a soft spot for these:

3oh8

Post by randlemarcus @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm

From experience , the RSVR (dont get the RSV) will do 110 to the light,and 25+ after that. Anecdotal evidence for the SP2 would point to sub100 tanks.
Whereabouts in the country are you?
randlemarcus

Re: Ducati 999 / 749

Post by Streethawk @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:50 pm

StuR wrote:Not sure whether this will get much feedback in here, C2 being the only one I know of with a duke.

Stu :wink:

I have a 749s, Cant recommend it enough. Before buying mine I rode a standard 999 and to be honest I prefer the pick up and higher revving nature of the 749 as well as its cornering ability which is spectacular. As for comments about Ducatis being unreliable, they are unfounded. Mine is on the button 99% of the time, The only problem I ever had with it was the alarm which was draining the battery to fcuk, after I took that off its been 100%. You do need to have some basic mechanical knowledge though.
Streethawk

Post by StuR @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Cheers again folks!

The TL1000, for all I've a bit of a soft spot for the noise they make and the reputation (well TL1000S sans steering damper anyway!) has given them almost cult status, isn't the bike for me really.

I'm up in the north east, and spend a bit of time in the west midlands too as the better half lives there.

Streethawk: Interesting stuff cheers. I've plenty of mechanical knowledge (engineer and have spent years arsing around with cars and bikes in my free time), so I'm more than happy to have to raise a spanner now and then.

How does the 749 compare to the run of the mill jap 600's? I think I'd prefer the grunt of the 999 should I be able to fit on a duke, but I'm open minded certainly and would like to try both. Have you had it on track at all and how do you find it for the longer rides in terms of comfort?

I had originally started out looking at 998's, but there seems to be some great 999's around for sensible money now that the 1098 has been around a little while. I've not looked at 749's so that's the next job.

Trouble is my local dealer seems to have very little in stock at the minute, and ducati coventry which isn't far from my OH's doesn't seem to either.

I've found a lovely R1 I really like locally, but I'm really fancying something a little different.
StuR

Post by Streethawk @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:21 pm

You have to rev the fcuk out of a Jap 600 to get it going however my bike has power all through the rev range. If you ride a 749 and 999 back to back the differences will be apparent, I found them to be anyway. If you do feel you need the extra grunt then get the 999, they are a great bike but the smaller capacity one has its advantages too, Its far quicker to turn into a corner and has an adjustable headstock which the 999's lack, I havent had my bike on a track yet but on the road its great, as great as a bike of its type can be. As for its long distance capabilities, Its good enough Id guess, Im planning a trip to Bologna on it.
Streethawk

Post by StuR @ Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:12 pm

cheers again buddy, sounds very positive.

Don't suppose you know of the best place to get aftermarket seats for them? Pretty sure I'll also be needing a set of adjustable rearsets :lol:
StuR

Re:

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:59 am

This post intentionally left blank.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by StuR @ Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Will do C2, definately very interested in one, popped by the bike dealers on my way home from work, and can confirm that I can fit no problem, though I will need to drop the rearsets a little, and perhaps a couple of other little adjustments here and there, bar height and perhaps a different seat which I'm told are available.

As far as it goes, having read up a fair bit I think a 749 sounds pretty much ideal, though I've yet to ride either. We'll see this week!

Daft question but are the 749 and 999 rearsets interchangeable?
StuR

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Tokyo Sexwale

Post by StuR @ Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:37 pm

For my sins I'm up in the north east, though I spend some time in the west midlands too as my other half lives in coventry.

Thanks again for the info - mind if I enquire as to where you got your seatpad? Is it a ducati part or aftermarket? or a cusion from the sofa strapped on? :lol:

There's a yellow one in at the local dealers (M&S motorcycles in coventry) which seems to fit the bill, ducati coventry don't have any in just now which is a shame.
StuR

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Tokyo Sexwale

Post by StuR @ Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:48 pm

Great stuff I'll check them out, cheers again mate. I'm willing to travel for the right bike 8)

I've sent you a pm RE the rearsets :)
StuR

Return to Bike Chat