Gear

Two wheels good.

Re: Gear

Post by randlemarcus @ Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:41 am

loach wrote:
randlemarcus wrote:4)Stop sitting on the CBR going Rwaraoror :)



Rwaraoror? He's revving it, not gargling it. It's 'Wommmm.mum..mum..mumumumum...WOMMMMMM....womwomWom..WOMMMM'. Or something. But definitely not Rwaraoror.

Honestly, some people...
He's blipping the throttle to balance the downchanges. That CBR doesnt have a slipper clutch you know :D
And he'd only be going WOMMMM if he took the lightsaber out and was pretending to be Darth Vader on his dark speederbikething on the forest moon of Endor. Which would make Mrs N an Ewok? Are you calling her an Ewok? Hmm? Hmm?
User avatar
randlemarcus
 
Posts: 2175
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:05 pm
Location: see that atlas? volumes 3 5 and 7....

Re: Gear

Post by loach @ Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:55 pm

randlemarcus wrote: He's blipping the throttle to balance the downchanges. That CBR doesnt have a slipper clutch you know :D
And he'd only be going WOMMMM if he took the lightsaber out and was pretending to be Darth Vader on his dark speederbikething on the forest moon of Endor. Which would make Mrs N an Ewok? Are you calling her an Ewok? Hmm? Hmm?


Not unless an Ewok cooks the biggest fry-up this side of the Mississippi. Anyway - enough of this banter. We know he's in the shed blipping his bike as we post joust, so our attempts to qualify the precise noise emanating therefrom bewtween 6am and 11.30pm are just semantics. You're needed in the Film/Movie thread. :wink:
User avatar
loach
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:03 pm
Location: The land of chocolate

Re: Gear

Post by Uriel @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35 am

I'd definitely recommend getting the practice DVD for the hazard test, but NOT the official DSA one as it's utter shit and only has 10 clips on it. I got one from Waterstones that was in a red and black box with 400 odd clips and it was much better at explaining when exactly to click and it also adviced the click-wait-click method.

The test is bullshit though. The example clip they give has a guy riding along a regular urban 30mph road and with a cyclist up ahead riding along the road by the curb in our lane. Further ahead there is a parked car on our side of the road and the hazard is that the cyclist is going to have to move away from the curb into our path to avoid the car. Obvious. But the difficulty is knowing when to click. The scoring window doesn't open as soon as the cyclist comes into view, it doesn't open when the car comes into view. Click now and it's too early and you'll get 0. If you click when the cyclist actaully starts the move to get around the car and it's too late, you'd score 0. You need to identify the hazard as it "develops". This is a random point between seeing the bike/car and the bike pulling out.
Uriel
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:52 am

Uriel wrote:I'd definitely recommend getting the practice DVD for the hazard test, but NOT the official DSA one as it's utter shit and only has 10 clips on it. I got one from Waterstones that was in a red and black box with 400 odd clips and it was much better at explaining when exactly to click and it also adviced the click-wait-click method.

The test is bullshit though. The example clip they give has a guy riding along a regular urban 30mph road and with a cyclist up ahead riding along the road by the curb in our lane. Further ahead there is a parked car on our side of the road and the hazard is that the cyclist is going to have to move away from the curb into our path to avoid the car. Obvious. But the difficulty is knowing when to click. The scoring window doesn't open as soon as the cyclist comes into view, it doesn't open when the car comes into view. Click now and it's too early and you'll get 0. If you click when the cyclist actaully starts the move to get around the car and it's too late, you'd score 0. You need to identify the hazard as it "develops". This is a random point between seeing the bike/car and the bike pulling out.


sell me your dvd?
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by Uriel @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:55 am

You could have had it, but I gave it to the riding school when I got through the test. The one I had was only ££9 or something though. Any WH Smiths or Waterstones should have it.

ETA: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Su ... 568&sr=8-1

That's the one I found most useful.
Uriel
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:50 am

thanks Uri- Ive ordered it now :)
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by parakitaMol @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:10 pm

nervy wrote:thanks Uri- Ive ordered it now :)


Stick to the diet Nerv, have a sexy little one piece number that'll look just lovely on you in about 6 months time.... you shrinking violet! lol

P.S. WELL DONE!
User avatar
parakitaMol
 
Posts: 2245
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:20 pm

parakitaMol wrote:Stick to the diet Nerv, have a sexy little one piece number that'll look just lovely on you in about 6 months time.... you shrinking violet! lol

P.S. WELL DONE!


thanks A, I cant wait for that.

got any leathers that might fit too?
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by sleep envy @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:55 pm

have you passed yet?
User avatar
sleep envy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: 2:100:18

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:12 pm

sleep envy wrote:have you passed yet?


no.

mainly cos i havent been tested yet. did the CBT last week, and the deliberatley-confusing-not-all-a-money-making-scheme theory test is next week. the practical follows 2 days after that.

dont worry though, ill give you first mocking rights when i fail.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by sleep envy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:11 pm

what bake are you learning on?

and don't say a motorbike
User avatar
sleep envy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: 2:100:18

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:28 pm

sleep envy wrote:what bake are you learning on?

and don't say a motorbike


some 500, i forget which.

its black, if that helps.

have i told you Ive hated it all so far? well, i have.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:16 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49053
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Gear

Post by Fidgits @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:39 pm

nervy wrote:
sleep envy wrote:have you passed yet?


no.

mainly cos i havent been tested yet. did the CBT last week, and the deliberatley-confusing-not-all-a-money-making-scheme theory test is next week. the practical follows 2 days after that.

dont worry though, ill give you first mocking rights when i fail.


you'll be fine...

just remember to stop at the stop line!
User avatar
Fidgits
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Gear

Post by sleep envy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:06 pm

carrera2 wrote:Why have you hated it? This doesn't sound good. :|


shhh!!

let him get on with it then I can buy his bike off him at a knock down price
User avatar
sleep envy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: 2:100:18

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 pm

honestly?

well, i dont know how to ride a bike. so i went (as i have to) for the CBT, expecting to be told how.

I spent two hours in a classroom while some bird told me the virtues of wearing a helmet (the one thing I did know about biking) then did 5 mins of u turns, and was put on the road without being told how to take a corner properly, how to brake without falling off, what to do at a corner, before a corner and during a corner, what gear to be in for a corner, that the rear wheel will lock if you change down too quickly, what to do when this happens, what to do if you get into trouble, or yknow, any of those other basic not-being-killed things.

The second we got out on the road (in the pissing rain and howling wind) the bloke was nagging me to gun it, but I just felt under confident and under-prepared. under those circumstances, I cant see myself liking biking.

more even than that, Its the one test Ive ever not wanted to pass. Im just not good enough and I still know nothing about riding a bike. Im glad Ive got a few days of riding ahead of me before taking any other tests, or before even thinking about riding my own bike.

What concerns me most is that Im qualified to ride a 125 now, along with other people who may not be so realistic about their respective lack of skills. Plenty of the guys on my test nearly got badly hurt when they were out and about, and im sure thats not a rarity. Those people may get killed, or worse, crash into one of my expertly driven and expensive cars. The idea that this saves lives makes me cross- its no more than a money-making exercise that wastes time and builds false confidence.

Im sure Ill settle down to it, and im looking forward to relaxing and spending however long it takes getting comfy and intuitive about it, before I decide that Im ready to be tested. Until then though, just this once, Id rather be Nervous.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by sleep envy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:03 pm

dude - I was exactly the same and didn't get taught how to slip the clutch going round a corner until the morning of my test

tell your instructor your not happy and if they don't change things go to a different school
User avatar
sleep envy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: 2:100:18

Re: Gear

Post by Uriel @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Yeah, driving home from my CBT I was terrified by the thought that the roads could be filled with people on 125s as utterly shit at riding as I was at that point.

I never figured out how you can be allowed to ride around the roads on a 125 with only a CBT and then when you want to get your full licence they start testing you on theory and hazard perception. Surely identifying hazards and knowing road signs, traffic law, basic first aid etc is as important when riding a 125 as a bike over 125cc?
Uriel
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:26 pm

sleep envy wrote:dude - I was exactly the same and didn't get taught how to slip the clutch going round a corner until the morning of my test

tell your instructor your not happy and if they don't change things go to a different school


Im glad to hear that, man. thanks.

Im giving him another day to sort it out- its not a huge amount of money, and even if hes useless more time on a bike will settle me down no end.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:28 pm

Uriel wrote:I never figured out how you can be allowed to ride around the roads on a 125 with only a CBT and then when you want to get your full licence they start testing you on theory and hazard perception. Surely identifying hazards and knowing road signs, traffic law, basic first aid etc is as important when riding a 125 as a bike over 125cc?


yep, utterly mental. totally agree.

the one good thing is that when the government realise they can make more cash testing everybody, thatll become mandatory too.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by Fidgits @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:35 pm

wow, sounds like I was pretty lucky with my bike thingy... they were pretty good about teaching me how to avoid dying etc...
User avatar
Fidgits
 
Posts: 4018
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: Gear

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:54 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49053
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:38 pm

no. i need to know that Im awesome almost immediatley. im just that needy.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:40 pm

This post intentionally left blank.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49053
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm

thats what I thought.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by sleep envy @ Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:46 pm

you passed yet?
User avatar
sleep envy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: 2:100:18

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:00 pm

sleep envy wrote:you passed yet?


no, apparently the roads are too greasy to ride on.

you could have at least dropped by if you were going to be this way.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by sleep envy @ Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 pm

erm...

isn't it the idea that you gain experience with instructors in all conditions?

what happens if it pisses down on the day of the test (like it did with me)? do they cancel your test?
User avatar
sleep envy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: 2:100:18

Re: Gear

Post by nervy @ Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 pm

sleep envy wrote:erm...

isn't it the idea that you gain experience with instructors in all conditions?

what happens if it pisses down on the day of the test (like it did with me)? do they cancel your test?


tool. i was joking. it was based on your olivio-based kith and kin.

I havent even done my theory yet, its next week. just as it was when you asked on the previous page.
nervy
 
Posts: 9422
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Re: Gear

Post by sleep envy @ Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:32 pm

you passed yet?
User avatar
sleep envy
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: 2:100:18

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles
cron