Urban bike wear

Two wheels good.

Urban bike wear

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:18 am

I'm becoming less and less bothered about wearing 'gear' if I'm just biking through town. I'm slightly concerned that I'm becoming a bit too lax about it in fact, as it seems I'm pretty happy to wear chinos and a fashiony (rather than armoured) belstaff if I know I'm not going much above 30mph.

Where do other bikers on here stand with this?

I don't think twice about leathering up to go fast, but it just seems a pain in the arse for urban riding.

As such, I've been wondering where I should get some more cool looking bike clothes that are ok for trudging about town/work but a bit more protective than 'nothing at all' and also look cool.

Do we know Rev'it and what do we think of them?

I've been slightly admiring the Red Hook and Roamer jackets:

But do they look absurd on a sports bike? Do you need an old triumph?? They do nice boots too. Sort of cool scruffy boots but with biking protection built in.

I'm not sure at all, and maybe it would be more sensible just to continue wearing whatever around town and proper clothes if I go any distance.
Last edited by Disastrous on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Re: Urban bike wear

Post by Piquet @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:19 am

I can't answer any of your questions I'm afraid but I like that jacket, Dis.
Piquet

Highscores: 1

Post by The Dragon Slayer @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:21 am

MMm, they do look a bit more old Triumph than shiny new Ducati wear. But if you're just tooling about round town, does that matter much? Could you get a rear bumper/hugger sticker that says your other bike is an old Triumph to cover it?
The Dragon Slayer

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:23 am

Persuasive Knobbing wrote:I can't answer any of your questions I'm afraid but I like that jacket, Dis.

Same here.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:28 am

TKF wrote:
Persuasive Knobbing wrote:I can't answer any of your questions I'm afraid but I like that jacket, Dis.

Same here.

Almost the same here, because I like the second jacket if not the first very much.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:32 am

I'm after a similar jacket for the summer actually, as I find the full textiles too warm in the sun and want a nice leather jacket that can go with biker jeans.

The big question is what gloves would you wear with it D? To my mind, thin leather gloves (maybe cream!) that go under the cuff are necessary.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:42 am

Perhaps a nice Belstaff riding jacket?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:44 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I'm after a similar jacket for the summer actually, as I find the full textiles too warm in the sun and want a nice leather jacket that can go with biker jeans.

The big question is what gloves would you wear with it D? To my mind, thin leather gloves (maybe cream!) that go under the cuff are necessary.

Would you feel a cnut on a sports bike?

Eta what biker jeans do you have? And massively agree on the gloves. Massively. The sort you can roll up and stuff in your back pocket so they hang out just *so*.
Last edited by Disastrous on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 am

Disastrous wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I'm after a similar jacket for the summer actually, as I find the full textiles too warm in the sun and want a nice leather jacket that can go with biker jeans.

Would you feel a cnut on a sports bike?

A bit.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:01 pm

I've sent a 4 man scouting party to provide intel on http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/199991

Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I like it. My heart yearns for a brown one though, and I can't decide if it's really a bit foolhardy to charge about in my A2 jacket on a bike or not.

It's funny really. If I didn't live in Britain I wouldn't think twice about it I guess. LA always looks so nice with movie stars charging about in denim jackets and t shirts and that mob down in the Med don't seem to give a shit about safety wear when biking.

Maybe the answer is to not be so silly and just wear a nice jacket that isn't a bike one.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 pm

Disastrous wrote:Maybe the answer is to not be so silly and just wear a nice jacket that isn't a bike one.

Why not get a Racemaster Blouson or something like I bloody suggested? Proper armour and a Belstaff waxed cotton jacket to boot. You could look all louche and artfully dishevelled like Theo off of Braquo.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:51 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Disastrous wrote:Maybe the answer is to not be so silly and just wear a nice jacket that isn't a bike one.

Why not get a Racemaster Blouson or something like I bloody suggested? Proper armour and a Belstaff waxed cotton jacket to boot. You could look all louche and artfully dishevelled like Theo off of Braquo.

I don't buy into Belstaff as being much cop for a crash really...as in, I'd rather just wear my Roadmaster and would probably feel about as safe in it. My thinking is that to spend £500 odd on a Belstaff 'motorcycle' jacket, I'm not actually getting that much more protection than I am from their regular range. So I might as well wear any fashion jacket.

But I could be wrong and maybe they are built much sturdier etc etc. I just can't seem to ever find one in shop nearby to look at. I asked the belstaff shop in town last week if they did any of the motorcycle range and the girl excitedly said "all our jackets are based in classic motorcycle jackets, sir" and I explained "no, I mean the proper ones with armour that you do" and she just looked at me blankly.

I'd like a Mojave, is it?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Disastrous wrote:I like it. My heart yearns for a brown one though, and I can't decide if it's really a bit foolhardy to charge about in my A2 jacket on a bike or not.

It's funny really. If I didn't live in Britain I wouldn't think twice about it I guess. LA always looks so nice with movie stars charging about in denim jackets and t shirts and that mob down in the Med don't seem to give a shit about safety wear when biking.

Maybe the answer is to not be so silly and just wear a nice jacket that isn't a bike one.

If I lived in a City like you, I think I'd almost certainly just wear anything to ride in. I'd ridden in shorts/tee-shirts many times and just ride a little more carefully.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:01 pm

Yes, like the Mojave - although incredibly, since I posted that link they've actually sold out of the Racemaster! They had them in L, XL and XXL reduced to £295 (I think) but in the space of ninety minutes they're all gone.

All wrong!

Here!!

It was the armoured Gangster that was £295.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I like it. My heart yearns for a brown one though, and I can't decide if it's really a bit foolhardy to charge about in my A2 jacket on a bike or not.

If I lived in a City like you, I think I'd almost certainly just wear anything to ride in. I'd ridden in shorts/tee-shirts many times and just ride a little more carefully.

Which is what I do, and probably means I can just wear cooler looking things for the other end than a half-biker nonentity of a thing, I suppose.

I still fancy one of DaThos Belstaffs though. Have you thought about one of them?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:15 pm

Disastrous wrote:I still fancy one of DaThos Belstaffs though. Have you thought about one of them?

No and shan't.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I still fancy one of DaThos Belstaffs though. Have you thought about one of them?

No and shan't.

I think you should.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Shall not.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:39 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Shall not.

The answer of the homosexual. You'd have said the same if I'd said "You should try women".
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:45 pm

Whoosh, and he's back.

I like the Roland Sand jackets, example:
http://www.urbanrider.co.uk/motorcycle- ... bacco.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
GingerNinja

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:47 pm

GingerNinja wrote:Whoosh, and he's back.

Boom! Enter the ginger dragon (not like that!) and with a fcuking awesome jacket! I love that massively and want/will get one.

Hope you're doing well pal.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:48 pm

:clap: :woohoo: turn off the signature though FFS.
Strawman

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:00 pm

Disastrous wrote:

Boom! Enter the ginger dragon (not like that!) and with a fcuking awesome jacket! I love that massively and want/will get one.

Hope you're doing well pal.

Yeah, getting there slowly - at some point I'll update my cancer thread with the latest.

Roland Sands do a range of nice jackets, and also some really decent gloves - that website has a decent selection of both.
I was eyeing them up a part of my overall retro hipster look I was going for when my custom BMW cafe race was still on the cards.
GingerNinja

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:03 pm

It no longer is? Sadface if so...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:06 pm

Disastrous wrote:It no longer is? Sadface if so...

Not anytime soon - haven't completely ruled it out, but will wait until I can properly walk again, and be able to completely look after myself before I get the project re-started.
GingerNinja

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:11 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
Disastrous wrote:It no longer is? Sadface if so...

Not anytime soon - haven't completely ruled it out, but will wait until I can properly walk again, and be able to completely look after myself before I get the project re-started.

Sounds shit but make it something to work toward and you'll get there. It's a fcuking lovely concept and a sin if you don't!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:38 pm

Disastrous wrote:
I don't buy into Belstaff as being much cop for a crash really...as in, I'd rather just wear my Roadmaster and would probably feel about as safe in it. My thinking is that to spend £500 odd on a Belstaff 'motorcycle' jacket, I'm not actually getting that much more protection than I am from their regular range. So I might as well wear any fashion jacket.
?

Ive got a really good Belstaff motorcycle jacket which is the first jacket I bought to learn to ride in. It cost me about £70 and was one of the cheapest in the shop. Ironically I would be really confident in it as the armouring and material is superb
Oddly the quality is superb although it needs cleaning ergo binning
This is what puts me off ever paying that for a Belstaff. I still see it as a budget brand regardless of how well its marketers did by simply giving Will Smith one.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Turntable wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
?

Ive got a really good Belstaff motorcycle jacket which is the first jacket I bought to learn to ride in. It cost me about £70 and was one of the cheapest in the shop. Ironically I would be really confident in it as the armouring and material is superb
Oddly the quality is superb although it needs cleaning ergo binning
This is what puts me off ever paying that for a Belstaff. I still see it as a budget brand regardless of how well its marketers did by simply giving Will Smith one.

What sort is it? Is it wax cotton??

Is it actually a Delstaff jacket from an Asian* market trader?

* Not racist - I've simply never seen a Caucasian leather goods seller in Glasgow.
Last edited by Disastrous on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:08 pm

It's waterproof bike jacket material (not wax).
Its not knock-off because Belstaff were a bike brand 10 years ago and not a fashion brand so there was nothing of value to knock-off
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Next

Return to Bike Chat