First run of the season

Two wheels good.

Re: First run of the season

Post by Dirk @ Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:35 pm

Would imagine the west coast of Eire would make a good bike trip too
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 29352
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: First run of the season

Post by Hooli @ Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Dirk wrote:Would imagine the west coast of Eire would make a good bike trip too


It does.

Not sure it'd be as brilliant on D's bike mind. From memory a lot of poor road surfaces & twisty slow roads that wouldn't be ideal on a sports bike.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: First run of the season

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Hooli wrote: From memory a lot of poor road surfaces

Yes though some roads are OK now.

Hooli wrote: & twisty slow roads that wouldn't be ideal on a sports bike.


Depends on when you went, most of the motorway network has been built now, but if he wants to avoid motorways the A roads are fairly good as well. The biggest problem is the weather, it could rain like a MF.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38271
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First run of the season

Post by Hooli @ Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:48 pm

I tend to find tiny roads when I tour so a lot of what I did would have been crap on a sports bike, but that's what I prefer. Spent a day on Dingle for example & I think it was at the end of there I found a 3-4mile gravel road to an observation point.

IIRC the Ring of Kerry was quite quick when no coaches got stuck in the way. Plus the Healey Pass is excellent.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: First run of the season

Post by Strawman @ Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:50 pm

Hooli wrote:IIRC the Ring of Kerry was quite quick when no coaches got stuck in the way. Plus the Healey Pass is excellent.


Yes, they won't have changed at all since you were there. The Healey pass is used as a stage in the Rally of Ireland, I used to live not far from there, well less than 1hr drive away anyway.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38271
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First run of the season

Post by Disastrous @ Wed May 04, 2016 11:48 am

I've been looking into this a bit more.

There's a ferry from Cork to Roscoff (don't think any of the Irish ferries run to Spain (as far as I can see).

Would it be nice to ride down the West Coast of France to Spain? I was thinking that might be quite picturesque but I don't know the roads at all. I'd have to avoid La Rochelle of course. Well, there's a mademoiselle I know there and what with me being almost a married man and so on, it wouldn't be right. Just leave it ok?

Anyway, assuming I skip La Rochelle, that's got to be a nice 'there and back' right?

It might even be possible to get the Santander ferry from there back to the UK and then back to Ireland for the run home or something if we didn't want to retrace our steps...
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 38748
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: First run of the season

Post by Strawman @ Wed May 04, 2016 12:02 pm

Disastrous wrote:(don't think any of the Irish ferries run to Spain (as far as I can see).

They don't.



Disastrous wrote:Anyway, assuming I skip La Rochelle, that's got to be a nice 'there and back' right?
Yes

Disastrous wrote:It might even be possible to get the Santander ferry from there back to the UK and then back to Ireland for the run home or something if we didn't want to retrace our steps...

Yes, seems to be Brittany ferries who run that, just looked and £170 one way for a motorbike looks good value.
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 38271
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: First run of the season

Post by Hooli @ Wed May 04, 2016 1:26 pm

Ahh I didn't check the ferries, just glanced at the routes shown on google maps. Still sounds a plan though, worth doing if just to play in the Pyrenees.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber
 
Posts: 19568
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:04 pm
Location: The 1950s

Re: First run of the season

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed May 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Disastrous wrote:I've been looking into this a bit more.

There's a ferry from Cork to Roscoff (don't think any of the Irish ferries run to Spain (as far as I can see).

Would it be nice to ride down the West Coast of France to Spain? I was thinking that might be quite picturesque but I don't know the roads at all. I'd have to avoid La Rochelle of course. Well, there's a mademoiselle I know there and what with me being almost a married man and so on, it wouldn't be right. Just leave it ok?

Anyway, assuming I skip La Rochelle, that's got to be a nice 'there and back' right?

It might even be possible to get the Santander ferry from there back to the UK and then back to Ireland for the run home or something if we didn't want to retrace our steps...

Stop by at Lacanau and Biarritz on the way for some surfing too.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 48382
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: First run of the season

Post by Disastrous @ Wed May 04, 2016 2:17 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Disastrous wrote:I've been looking into this a bit more.

There's a ferry from Cork to Roscoff (don't think any of the Irish ferries run to Spain (as far as I can see).

Would it be nice to ride down the West Coast of France to Spain? I was thinking that might be quite picturesque but I don't know the roads at all. I'd have to avoid La Rochelle of course. Well, there's a mademoiselle I know there and what with me being almost a married man and so on, it wouldn't be right. Just leave it ok?

Anyway, assuming I skip La Rochelle, that's got to be a nice 'there and back' right?

It might even be possible to get the Santander ferry from there back to the UK and then back to Ireland for the run home or something if we didn't want to retrace our steps...

Stop by at Lacanau and Biarritz on the way for some surfing too.



I'll surf the Aprilia like that guy in that video because I can.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 38748
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Previous

Return to Bike Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles