First run of the season

Two wheels good.

First run of the season

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:57 am

The Aprilia passed it's MOT on Friday so to celebrate, a mate I went for a spin yesterday.

I've done the route before but I forget sometimes how lucky I am to live where I do and have this on my doorstep. We covered only 100miles but in that time we went up Loch Lomond side, to Arrochar on the banks of Loch Long. Then over the Rest and Be Thankful, which is like a mini-alpine road, and over the other side and then over to Dunoon, where we caught the ferry back to Gourock and then a blast along the motorway to home.

The weather wasn't great and we got a bit cold and wet but by the time we got to the ferry the sun came out and it reminded me how much I love biking.

The best thing about this route is it feels like a proper mini tour, with mountains, lochs, sea and boats, all in a 3 hour-ish journey.

Anyway, ver' 'appee.

Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Re: First run of the season

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:24 pm

Nice!! I loved riding in Scotland - you're well lucky to have those roads to use.

I'm off to Denmark next month for a long weekend's riding, can't wait.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Nice!! I loved riding in Scotland - you're well lucky to have those roads to use.

That really appeals to me!

I'd like to ride Europe but can't be fcuked getting there, if you know what I mean. It's basically 3/4 long days tanning down a motorway for me until I get to the nice bits so taking a Scandi ferry and doing Denmark/Sweden/Finland is very appealing.

What route are you planning?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:32 pm

Looks great D, Scotland sure has some brilliant roads.

As for europe, isn't there a ferry to Holland from up there somewhere? or is the furthest north Newcastle? It's an overnight boat & then about a day on motorways to the Alps.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:36 pm

Hooli wrote:Looks great D, Scotland sure has some brilliant roads.

As for europe, isn't there a ferry to Holland from up there somewhere? or is the furthest north Newcastle? It's an overnight boat & then about a day on motorways to the Alps.

Correct - Newcastle > IJmuiden is about the best I can do. So it's still a decent trek down South and across country to Newcastle for me.

I think a day to the Alps is some going from there though. I've done it in the car and frequently driven Ijmuiden > Nürnberg in one go but it's a long enough day and I think it would be back breaking on the Aprilia. 100 miles yesterday was nice for a morning, and I think we could have comfortably done the same again, maybe a bit more but I think 300 would be a tough day on the bike. And boring as fcuk on an autobahn!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:41 pm

300 is nowt ;)

It's worth it for the Alps. There are trains you can put your bike on too, or take the scenic route. Head down the frog/German border through the Vosage Mountains for a day for example, great roads there too.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Nice!! I loved riding in Scotland - you're well lucky to have those roads to use.

That really appeals to me!

I'd like to ride Europe but can't be fcuked getting there, if you know what I mean. It's basically 3/4 long days tanning down a motorway for me until I get to the nice bits so taking a Scandi ferry and doing Denmark/Sweden/Finland is very appealing.

What route are you planning?

Yeah I guess it's a pita for you to get to a ferry. <1 hour to the tunnel for me which is handy.

We're not sure on the route yet - just keen to avoid motorwaying it the whole way!!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Hooli @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:54 pm

No idea if it'd interest you TS, but the only surviving U-Boat in europe is on the north German coast. Could be a stop off on your route up?
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by moleamol @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:13 pm

Judging by the amount of NL registered campers/bikes/fit Dutch barmaid when we were in the Highlands and Skye there must be a ferry from further up.
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:19 pm

moleamol wrote:Judging by the amount of NL registered campers/bikes/fit Dutch barmaid when we were in the Highlands and Skye there must be a ferry from further up.

No.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by moleamol @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Disastrous wrote:
moleamol wrote:Judging by the amount of NL registered campers/bikes/fit Dutch barmaid when we were in the Highlands and Skye there must be a ferry from further up.

No.

Lies.
moleamol

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:24 pm

moleamol wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

No.

Lies.

cnut!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Dirk @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:24 am

Isn't there a freight service from Rosyth to Netherlands still?

What do you need to convince them that you are a freight biker?

Or to convince a trucker to load your bike in the back?
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:28 am

Dirk wrote:Isn't there a freight service from Rosyth to Netherlands still?

Not sure about the freight ship, but was talking last night about renting a van to strap the bikes in, driving down in that, unloading and enjoying.

But it seems a faff somehow.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:42 am

Disastrous wrote:

Not sure about the freight ship, but was talking last night about renting a van to strap the bikes in, driving down in that, unloading and enjoying.

Maybe but worth considering that most don't consider anyone a proper biker until they've done a Euro trip at least once...
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Strawman @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:45 am

I remember reading a discussion on an Irish motoring forum about a company that ship bikes around Europe, so you say where you want the bike to be and when, they collect it then you fly out there a few days later to be reunited with your bike. Might be a Scottish company doing the same.
Strawman

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:45 am

Ooof!

Do they have a term for those that haven't? Pretend biker or something? Mopedder? Something pretty derogatory I'd imagine. I'd hate to be in that position tbh. Just awful.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:02 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

Maybe but worth considering that most don't consider anyone a proper biker until they've done a Euro trip at least once...

I suppose I can see how that would be the case if you basically live in France, as all you Southerners do.

I'm not sure any of you can really comprehend the terrain and distances involved when you live up here. And of course it's not like you have ever motorcycled up here, so can't comment or argue in any way.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:11 am

Disastrous wrote:Newcastle > IJmuiden is about the best I can do. So it's still a decent trek down South and across country to Newcastle for me.

150 miles a decent trek? I can see why a European trip scares you so much.
thekungfury

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:26 am

thekungfury wrote:
Disastrous wrote:Newcastle > IJmuiden is about the best I can do. So it's still a decent trek down South and across country to Newcastle for me.

It's all motorway. Dull as fcuk.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by moleamol @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:33 am

Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

It's a means to an end though, you're just backing down again because you're scared. Luckily it's you so we expect it.
moleamol

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 am

moleamol wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

It's a means to an end though, you're just backing down again because you're scared. Luckily it's you so we expect it.

I'm not remotely scared. Or backing down. I just think sports bikes on motorways are shit and however you stack it, going to Europe means a couple of days of it. And is it *that* good once you get there? Of course not. I've been loads of times in the car and whilst it's certainly good, the west coast of Scotland is as good and right *there*.

As I say, Tokes' Denmark trip interests me more. You French southerners need to back down!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by S1K @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:38 am

Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Couldn't you go to Newcastle on roads other than motorways?
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:42 am

I see the motorway bits as exactly the same as the time you waste on a flight or something on a normal holiday - means to an end. 150 miles is less than two hours, do it dis.

You do have cracking roads up there but there's nothing quite like howling across the Alps in the heat of summer, scratching around the twisties on hot tyres.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:43 am

spast1kunt wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

Couldn't you go to Newcastle on roads other than motorways?

Well, yeah you can. But it's a pain in the arse. Especially if you have a boat to catch. I did it once in the car and it took much longer than you would think IIRC.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:10 pm

Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

In the two hours it's taken you to cry about being scared of motorways you could have rudden to Newcastle.

Typo staying as it's Scots phonetic.
thekungfury

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:04 pm

thekungfury wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
thekungfury wrote:

In the two hours it's taken you to cry about being scared of motorways you could have rudden to Newcastle.

Typo staying as it's Scots phonetic.

Rudden??

I'm not sure why you're so in love with Newcastle - as I said, if Newcastle was in the Alps then I would ride there at once. But it isn't at all. And it's dull to get there and then dull for the next two days to get to nice places. Also, something about leg waxing, pushbikes, back peddling and violent bumming.

Tokes - fair enough. We're planning to go, hence the discussion about it. I'm just grumpy about getting there. We quite fancy riding to the Mugello MotoGP and then doing the Lakes and stuff. Would be a cool trip but it's just the getting there that's shit.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:49 pm

D, do it the other way & get an extra country in - Stranraer - ferry to NI, do the Antrim coast road (it's excellent), ride down south, ferry to Spain/France, do europe.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by S1K @ Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Could you crate your bike up and have it shipped to Austria or Switzerland or wherever and then fly out to meet up with it?
S1K

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Hooli wrote:D, do it the other way & get an extra country in - Stranraer - ferry to NI, do the Antrim coast road (it's excellent), ride down south, ferry to Spain/France, do europe.

That's a superb idea! I've done a weekend tour of Northern Ireland and it was absolutely brilliant...

I like that a lot more. Good thinking.

Spasti - probably, but I would guess it's prohibitively expensive. I know a few people who freight their bikes to Jerez/Aragorn for track days and even as a group organised service, it's still pretty brutal I think.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Next

Return to Bike Chat