2nd bikes; sports bikes as mile munchers?

Two wheels good.

2nd bikes; sports bikes as mile munchers?

Post by StuR @ Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:05 pm

So, with the weather seemingly on the turn, I'm keen to get as many two wheeled miles in as possible.

However, I'm reluctant to put big milage on the 749 as that's special, and for track more than road, so I'm trying to persuade myself a second bike is a good idea. Budget certainly won't be too high, 4k at most I should think, and a parade around the local bike shops today has reaffirmed my preference for sports bikes and dislike of most other bikes, aside of KTM's et al, which would kill me over the distances I intend to ride if I do get a 2nd bike. Big trailies, enduros, cruisers and so on do very little for me at this stage.

Should I opt to get another, it's safe to say I'll be looking for a sports bike. The bike would do quite a bit of boring riding (200+ mainly motorway miles either way in a weekend every other week if the weather is nice) but I'd still want something fast and fun for curly road blasting. Nothing too thirsty, hence no Sp1 on the list, and nothing unreliable. Not quite a daily rider, but certainly expecting to click some milage on it should I progress with this idea.

So far the only bikes on the list are:

K1/K2 GSX-R 1000
Kawasaki ZX9R
Kawasaki ZX7R (more because I love the look of them, I know they're heavy and not the fastest, always wanted one though)
circa 2000 Fireblade 929
circa 2000 Yamaha R1

Any other ideas, or downsides and merits of the potentials mentioned above?

The ZX9R seems an absolute bargain for what is a pretty good machine by all accounts, bit more sports tourer than supersports, but comfortbale, fast and fun according to owners and reviews. The GSXR is the favourite at the minute, I've ridden one a while back and remember it being fairly roomy and comfortable for a sports bike. The R1 I've little to no experience of, and the fireblade is bottom of the list really, nice enough and solid, just something about them doesn't do it for me.

Also, are there any companies out there that do multi-bike policies like admiral etc do for cars?

Thoughts / suggestions please folks!
StuR

Re: 2nd bikes; sports bikes as mile munchers?

Post by Uriel @ Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:39 pm

This guy doesn't have a problem touring with an R1!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r0xFyiwpfZ0
Uriel

Post by randlemarcus @ Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Reasonable choices all. Bear in mind that anything with an underseat exhaust is a PITA for strapping stuff on the tail, and aside from that none of those will fail you for a motorway jobbie. Dual compounds really help the squaring off, and you should get a few miles out of 'em.

I'd suggest the GXSR thou as the happiest compromise, as they are serious fun.
randlemarcus

Post by StuR @ Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks guys, I figured it wouldn't be a problem. I've never considered dual compounds before, nor done much looking into them. How are they for more spirited riding compared to normal compounds along the lines of diablos etc?
The GSX-R is top of my list because all reviews, and my tiny amount of experience of them, point to the earlier ones being great fun but far more civilised than their reputation alludes to. Plus I REALLY love the look of earlier thous for some perculiar reason.

I won't be strapping anything at all to the bike other than myself, basically by better half lives in the west mids and I in the north east, so I'll have stuff at hers to prevent luggage being needed.

I've no shame in admitting I'm a total fair weather rider, never commuted or anything like that on a bike, only ever been for a few hours fun on a weekend hence my cluelessness on such matters. I know 400 mile round trips aren't exactly epic, but it's further than I've done before and to do it regularly is something I'm not so sure on, it's got to be more fun (and cheaper!) than doing the journey in a car or by train though, which is the appeal.
StuR

Post by randlemarcus @ Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:13 pm

To be honest, you probably wont find anything but dual compounds out there these days. The Dragon Supercorsa Pro's I had on the MV when it went down were dualies, for goodness sake :) I've been using duals for a couple of years, and they are absolutely excellent, with no perceptible difference when riding hard, but a bloody great big difference trolling up and down the motorways (around an extra thousand miles by my reckoning) Bear in mind that when they do start squaring off, you only have a couple of hundred miles before they square right off, and the bike becomes an arseache.

I've been doing Hull - London for a while now, and while the mode of transport does make the journey fly , you wont reduce journey time by that much, and you will notice the difference in the concentration needed. The tank range of a sportsbike limits the tiredness, but do shake out the knees when you fill up, as doing 200 miles in one sitting is crippling. That five minute break makes it fun again.
randlemarcus

Post by StuR @ Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Again, thanks for the tips! I think 200 miles either way should be easily managable. Not looking to go at silly speeds or owt. Normally average around 2 and a half hours traffic dependant. A bike makes much more sense to me because I enjoy them far more, they're far more involving so I'm not getting bored, and the street my missus lives in is a nightmare to park in, I was constantly in fear of my Skyline getting rubbed or bumped the parking's that tight. A bike I can park off street there.

The whole Dual compounds thing is something that has completely passed me by I must admit. I certainly didn't know dragon SC's were dual compound or anything like that. My concern with the SC's are when fitted to my mates 675 he was whinging about them being crap in the wet, or the cold. Whether or not he's just being a pussy I'm not sure, but aren't they a bit sticky to be doing that sort of milage regularly? 1000 miles extra sounds promising should I go ahead with this though.

From what I gather the GSXR 1000 K1 / K2 has an 18 litre tank. Assuming on a motorway it can return 35mpg which I'm guessing it can easily, 140 miles to a tank seems do-able. Given that it's 100 quid in the patrol or 130 quid in the Skyline, or 90 quid on the train, that seems like a bargain to me, the fact it's more fun makes it all the more interesting a prospect.

As said previously any other suggestions for bikes suitable would be grand, but the GSXR K1 / K2 is looking like a good bet. ZX9R is very appealing but the GSX-R seems to be in a league above it? Any big downsides with the Suzuki aside of the usual paint and finish issues sometimes presenting themselves on more well used ones?
StuR

Return to Bike Chat