Hmm, open face helmets ?

Two wheels good.

Hmm, open face helmets ?

Post by NNK @ Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:08 am

I've never worn one, I'm pretty sure anyway.
Not on a dirt bike, not on the road or on the track (even in a car).
I've always imagined if I go down (only one bike crash, on track) that my chin will touch down at some point in the 100+mph incident.
But now I'm a scooter bandit do I need to have such a fear ?
The top box has been removed and underseat wont fit my full face, shall I just wear my mtb helmet (prob not as no safety sticker but ...).

What to do ? I don't really want to carry a helmet whenever I stop but I'm worried someone will piss in it if its chained to bike !

MX helmet with clip on chin piece ? Cant see that being v protective.
NNK

Re: Hmm, open face helmets ?

Post by Hooli @ Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:06 am

I much prefer an open face lid to ride in. Every time I've fallen off I've scratched the side or back of the lid I was wearing, I guess years of falling off mountain bikes taught me something after all.

I've got so used to wearing a Davida Jet everywhere that I can't ride properly in a full face anymore. I've got a Shoei XR-1000 as my winter lid but I never use it. The restricted vision & how it distorts the sounds leave me less confident in what is happening around me. Other people my disagree but I find with a full face all the sound comes from below so you can't tell direction from it, with an open face I can tell where a noise is before I look to see what's causing it.

The downside is when it rains or hails, that stings a touch...
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:50 am

This is what I wear on mine plus a pair of sunglasses:
It's not DOT but I never fasten the strap anyway.

If you're going to go all "safety first" it means you're probably expecting to have an accident.

Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by spast1kunt @ Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:55 pm

spast1kunt

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 pm

I think it depends on how much you value your appearance - your chin has only got to spend a second against the Tarmac at motorway speeds for it to be utterly fcuked and no amount of skin grafts will have you look anything like you do now. Not to mention the facial and dental damage that can be caused by a direct hit as I'm sure you know.

Having said all that, I'm definitely of the opinion that you ride to your abilities (except hooli who sounds as if he's fallen off a fair few times) and you'd probably be absolutely fine in an open face.

Your face, your call.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Hooli @ Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Having said all that, I'm definitely of the opinion that you ride to your abilities (except hooli who sounds as if he's fallen off a fair few times)

I've counted it up and it's two moving crashes, feels like more though.

One was 50/50 when I went for a cheeky overtake just as the driver decided on a cheeky U-turn so my hit the OSR quarter, just after dropping it from braking too hard. Because I'd dropped it I dislocated my collar bone from landing on the edge of an island. The other was totally my fault when I went the wrong side of a patch of gravel. A car came the other way around the bend so I had to move over, hit the gravel & dropped my 14 doing about 40mph. I slid a surprising distance uphill on that one.

The others are daft stuff like wheelspinning on grass & falling off leaving a campsite. Or getting my leg/foot caught on the peg & falling over at traffic lights, that one was only a couple of months after my test.

ETA: I've not crashed since I've started wearing an open face lid, so that proves they are safer...
Last edited by Hooli on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by NNK @ Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:37 am

ID - really, you don't even do it up ? That is bravery/stupidity of the highest order, purely my opinion obv.
TS - you think as I do. I still have the Arai I crashed in and the chin piece is completely intact but ......

I've been over the bars a few times on my mtb and been v lucky not to rearrange my teeth/jawline .

Pretty sure I/we have answered my question now, thank you.
NNK

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:43 am

NNK wrote:ID - really, you don't even do it up ? That is bravery/stupidity of the highest order, purely my opinion obv.

I can see how you could think it was stupid but:

It's a 50cc twist and go.
It can't exceed 30mph.
I can do that on a pushbike.
I never wore a helmet on my pushbike as a kid, fell off regularly and never damaged my head.
Plus when it's done up I can't hear much so I can't hear cars creeping up behind me.

On my MX, enduro and road bikes I always had a properly secured helmet.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 am

After seeing a picture of a rallying accident where the driver had his lower jaw torn off, I wouldn't wear an open face in a car, let alone a bike.

(I appreciate in a car the risks are MUCH lower, but the image was horrific enough to stay with me permanently)
Deuteronomy

Post by Disastrous @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:01 pm

I think the safety thing is interesting with bikes.

It's undeniably nice to ride unencumbered with gear but I find that after my spill I'm very conscious of the sort of riding I would do according to what I was wearing.

I'll happily nip into the office in Levis and a light bike jacket (albeit still a bike jacket) but I won't be going much above 30mph and am still much more protected than I would be on a pushbike.

I wouldn't venture onto the motorway or for a fast ride up the twisties in that though.

On a hot sunny day, I'm happy with a pair of Kevlar jeans and a bike jacket up to motorway speeds but again, I'm cruising rather than pressing on.

If I think I'll be going quick, full leathers.

I think I'd have an open face with a Bonnie or something.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Then there is the active/passive safety argument. As an example if it's too hot then wearing full gear leaves you at risk of heat stroke etc, so you're more likely to crash as you aren't functioning properly.

I feel the same with open/full face lids. I'm that much more confident in what is happening around me in an open face I'm less likely to crash than in a full face. So I'd rather not crash & enjoy the ride more than be better protected if I do crash.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by GingerNinja @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

I had a potter about in a town in Arizona without a helmet on a Fatboy Harley - it felt all kinds of wrong. Wouldn't do it again.

Full face helmets look completely wrong on cruisers and scooters - if as and when I get a Bobber or whatevs, I'll get an open faced helmet with that and possibly one of the modem retro styled full faced for the long distances, complete with trendy bubble visor.
GingerNinja

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:53 pm

Hooli wrote:I feel the same with open/full face lids. I'm that much more confident in what is happening around me in an open face I'm less likely to crash than in a full face.

That assumes that all accidents are something avoidable and not mechanical failure, animal in road, etc etc...
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Hooli wrote:Then there is the active/passive safety argument. As an example if it's too hot then wearing full gear leaves you at risk of heat stroke etc, so you're more likely to crash as you aren't functioning properly.

A man on a motorbike. Getting heat stroke. In the UK.

You really do say some silly things.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Hooli @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Hooli wrote:Then there is the active/passive safety argument. As an example if it's too hot then wearing full gear leaves you at risk of heat stroke etc, so you're more likely to crash as you aren't functioning properly.

At which point did I say in the UK?

You do let your imagination run away with you ya senile old cnut.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:32 pm

Hooli wrote:
Il Duce wrote:

At which point did I say in the UK?

You do let your imagination run away with you ya senile old cnut.

Gosh you really are one of those horrible people who deserve a bit of cancer.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Hooli @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:40 pm

That the best you can manage? It's quite original for such an old tw@t I guess. Why don't you stick to empting your colostomy bag down the loo rather than pouring out the shit on the internet.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by NNK @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:46 pm

GingerNinja wrote:Full face helmets look completely wrong on cruisers and scooters .

I know !
I'm certainly not one to think about crashing (NZ drivers are dreadful) but will stick with ff and good gloves just in case.
When it gets the big bore kit and pipe I might dig out my race leathers too.

ID , sorry I thought yours was a 125 or bigger as I thought it had gears.
NNK

Post by Käsemeister @ Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:08 pm

Never liked open face on the track, even tucked behind a windscreen. Just felt wrong.
Käsemeister

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am

Hooli wrote:That the best you can manage? It's quite original for such an old tw@t I guess. Why don't you stick to empting your colostomy bag down the loo rather than pouring out the shit on the internet.

It is said that if you have nothing worthwhile to say then it's best to say nothing but then you'd never say anything.
Not a bad idea really.

Foe'd.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Hooli @ Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Il Duce wrote:Foe'd.

Result.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Return to Bike Chat