2 piece leathers

Two wheels good.

2 piece leathers

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:15 am

Looking for some recommendations.

I want to replace a set of of Alpinestars GP Plus leathers with something more comfortable. I think I've probably moaned on here before but I bought these when I was very new to biking under the advice of a Hein Gericke man who said the leather would stretch a bit and it was important to have a 'MotoGP fit'. In reality, they were always (especially the trousers) just too small and it's actually painful to crouch in the them due to the tightness across the legs. So I never wear them and hate them.

Easy option is just get same again in the size I know fits me, having tried it on. They're fine enough I suppose, and have lasted quite well, and my boots and gloves are Astars so it's nice to match.

On the other hand I've been looking at the SPIDI Evorider jacket and matching trousers. Looks quite cool and also cheaper, but don't know much about them beyond I have one of their casual bike jackets and it's very comfy.

Dainese look to be super expensive once you get up the range a bit for something equivalent to the GP Plus. Looked at the D1 jacket but it doesn't tactally blow me away with how cool it is.

Anyone got any thoughts on SPIDI kit vs Astars?

Also, I'm saying two piece purely for convenience. I like having a couple of pockets and as this is my do-everything suit, being able to take the jacket off if stopped when touring etc.

I'd considered a one piece but decided the lack of pockets for wallet/keys and non-removable top half might make them a pain but I'm happy to be corrected. Are they a better shout?? I'd sort of considered them something for track days rather than road use...

Basically, I want new leathers but don't really know what so any thoughts or comments would be good.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Re: 2 piece leathers

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:26 am

Or Furygan? Love that they have a panther on the back and look quite aggressive.

My problem is no decent bike shops round here carry stock so I have to guess at fit/sizing.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:33 pm

I've got Akito, they seem to last well. It's not a great help but they are the only ones I've owned.

I'd agree with one piece are a pain on the road, everyone I know with them says the same.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by NNK @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Obv only my views and experience.
I always used to road ride in Dainese race pants/trousers with a body armour vest and jersey over the top. Occasionally a textile/airflow jacket.
Bought a Dainese leather jacket to match but hardly ever wore it, always felt too bulky around waist with zips, etc.
Fast Sunday rides and I would drag out the 1 piece, I've always felt comfortable in it and very safe, but I would only wear it if just riding, hate walking into pubs/shops in it.

I gather you have 'city' riding gear, I'd grab a good 1 piece if I were you.

Dainese - good but expensive (depends how you value comfort/looks/safety)
Furygan - used to be incredibly heavy, thicker leather ?
AXO - I've borrowed a 1 piece a couple of times and its been v comfortable. Mate has crashed on track several times in them (sponsored) and has always walked away. Good pricing over here.
Spidi - I saw some returns with stitching issues when I worked in bike shop , but they looked good !
NNK

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:00 pm

Cheers both.

I've never even heard of Akita Hooli - can't find any stockists up here...

NNK, good info ta. Stitching is pretty fcuking important so might rule out the Spidi kit on that basis.

Serious question, what do you do with your 'stuff' in a onesie - keys, wallet, shades etc? The Mille has fcuk all space under the seat and I feel like a bum bag is a big step into a new world.

Also, would you go away for a few days in a one piece? A lot of them seem to be perforated and focused on cooling, which you probably don't want if touring in Scotland! I've not ruled them out though as I get that they are meant to be comfy/easier to move in etc...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Akito not Akita, it's not dog skin!

They are on the cheaper end of the market as far as I know, I got them second hand when I first started riding.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by NNK @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Disastrous wrote:Serious question, what do you do with your 'stuff' in a onesie - keys, wallet, shades etc? The Mille has fcuk all space under the seat and I feel like a bum bag is a big step into a new world.

Also, would you go away for a few days in a one piece? A lot of them seem to be perforated and focused on cooling, which you probably don't want if touring in Scotland! I've not ruled them out though as I get that they are meant to be comfy/easier to move in etc...

Door and padlock keys on bike key ring, cash, card, shades in chest pocket (interior) or I do have a bumbag (I was going to put that in tiny letters but couldn't be bothered). I also have a v small backpack which doubles as hydration pack for mtb use.
A couple of mates swore by the magnetic tank cases they had, about the size of a side plate in impact plastic (poss Givi but poss Ducati ).

I have been away for a week with just one piece and tshirt/shorts but obv warmer climes than yours. Perforated leather is fine just stick a rain shell over the top on cooler/wet days.
NNK

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 pm

I've had a Dianese one piece for years and have done track days and touring in it. When touring you tend to have a backpack anyway so the lack of pockets is not such an issue. If I'm just riding around then a debit card, a note and my phone fit in a pocket.

I tend to ride the BMW way more nowadays and wear a two piece rukka textile kit but i never feel as safe as in one piece leathers and have come off a couple of times in them. I like two piece leathers and would be tempted to get a set if I rode my Duc more so interested to see what you get!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Hooli @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote: two piece rukka textile kit but i never feel as safe as in one piece leathers

I never feel as safe in textiles either. I've no idea which actually stands up better in a crash though.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Hooli wrote:Akito not Akita, it's not dog skin!

They are on the cheaper end of the market as far as I know, I got them second hand when I first started riding.

Ha, typo but staying. Akita skin leathers would be amazing.

NNK/Tokes, good points re touring with a backpack I suppose. Do most one pieces have a wee internal pocket then? I'd assumed not...

I'm going to try and pop into another bike shop tomorrow. I don't think they carry the exact models that I'm interested in but at least carry the brands so will hopefully have something in my size that will give me an idea of the fits of the various makers.

My plan is to try:

A one pice, just to see what it feels like on
A better fitting version of the AStars two piece I have
A Furygan equivalent (they're both what I would describe as 'sporty' looking suits) of the AStars
Maybe a Spidi but NNK has out me off them
An Akita dog skin

One thing that crossed my mind tonight is that if I stay AStars, then my current jacket - which is not comfortable because it's so tight across the shoulders but still fits - would still potentially be in play as a 'binable' jacket for track days or something. It's bearable if I just wear a vest under it but I want something I can get a couple of layers under if needs be but would still attach to new AStars trousers if needed. Hmm.

Ultimately, it'll be what's comfiest and feels sturdy I reckon. I HATE being uncomfy on a hike but if I can find a one piece with a pocket that may change things...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by NNK @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:40 am

Dis, please don't try an Akito or similar (sorry Hooli), they are shit. The cheapest, crappiest leathers you can buy. Ugly, ill fitting, dubious quality, etc.
Don't be put off by my Spidi comments, being NZ they could have been sat around for years before sold or a job lot of seconds brought in by an unscrupulous distributor (wish I'd thought of it).
AXO worth a look IMO.
I used to like RS Taichi gear (airflow jacket, gloves, etc) but think they may have been bought out and sell cheaper gear now.

I think most suits have an interior pocket, certainly the ones I've owned/borrowed have.

Just remembered what mine is - Giudici . They probably went bust years ago !
Last edited by NNK on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
NNK

Post by Hooli @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:10 am

NNK wrote:Did, please don't try an Akito or similar (sorry Hooli), they are shit. The cheapest, crappiest leathers you can buy. Ugly, ill fitting, dubious quality, etc.

Like I said I got them cheap when I first started riding, so that's all probably quite true. The jacket has stood up ok to going down the road twice though so can't be that bad. Plus I find the jacket very comfy, the trousers are too short in the thigh for me so I wear leather jeans these days.

Fit is a very subjective thing isn't it, I'm sure some makes fit some people but not others. In the same way most people have an Arai or Shoei head.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by moleamol @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:37 am

Hooli wrote:I wear leather jeans these days.

Have you finally come out of that closet?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 am

i don't reckon you're old jacket will be much cop on a track day Dis. I struggled when I first started on track as I couldn't get around the bike enough due to the leathers being to restrictive. Once I found a set that fitted well, I was able to get into all the weird positions you don't really expect so don't be afraid to stretch and squat etc in the shop!

You're making me want new leathers now and I can't justify them :(
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:i don't reckon you're old jacket will be much cop on a track day Dis. I struggled when I first started on track as I couldn't get around the bike enough due to the leathers being to restrictive. Once I found a set that fitted well, I was able to get into all the weird positions you don't really expect so don't be afraid to stretch and squat etc in the shop!

You're making me want new leathers now and I can't justify them :(

Fair shout. That had not occurred to me but you're right. I will stretch and squat and even shit in them if I have to! Tell me more about one piece practicalities plz - are they easy enough to roll down on a hot day to wander about a bit. Also, speed hump?? I'd feel a bit of a fraud with one. Do they help? Can you still get a rucksack on??

Also,

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:i don't reckon you're old jacket...

It's just like Biker Banter!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:58 am

Ha!! I can only blame auto correct!!

I don't think they're as impractical as you imagine but certain things are awkward - shitting is impossible xxxx. Having the top half hanging off in a cafe or something is something you get used to! They are definitely not as practical as a two piece but it really depends on what you're using it for. On the road there's nothing like them - you're completely sealed and feel extremely safe and aerodynamic! Mine doesn't have a hump - don't really see the point unless you're racing and even then I bet the gains are pretty marginal, plus as you say backpacks then become an issue.

From what you've said I'd go for a 2 piece in your shoes unless you're planning a good few track days or just going to be riding for fun rather than touring/errands etc.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Turntable @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:50 am

Disastrous wrote:Serious question, what do you do with your 'stuff' in a onesie - keys, wallet, shades etc? The Mille has fcuk all space under the seat and I feel like a bum bag is a big step into a new world.

This is why I would never have a one-piece. Uncomfortable, gimpy and completely impractical. For me they are a track-only item.
That said, if you are touring on them youll probably have a rucksack or whatever anyway?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:06 am

The thing is they'll be my 'everything' leathers for all but running around town.

I'm hardly a track day hero and I won't be troubling Ewan McGregor for touring either but the odd trackday plus the odd weekend away are all on the cards. Most common riding is a day trip up to the west coast for lunch, and back. So I wouldn't carry luggage if I can avoid it but yeah, I would if touring.

Maybe two piece is still the answer...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:27 am

I think without trying them on it'd be difficult to make a decision.

I found that the most comfortable and manoeuvrable leathers in the shop happened to be a one piece and when I was trying them on the lack of extra pockets suddenly became insignificant in comparison to the comfort I was in.

TT - presumably you've got new leathers since the old ones I sold you. What did you go for?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I think without trying them on it'd be difficult to make a decision.

I found that the most comfortable and manoeuvrable leathers in the shop happened to be a one piece and when I was trying them on the lack of extra pockets suddenly became insignificant in comparison to the comfort I was in.

TT - presumably you've got new leathers since the old ones I sold you. What did you go for?

I'll definitely try them and see. Plus I think how MotoGP I'll look with them on will help. Do you think I should wear a Monster cap and some mirrored shades to the shop? Maybe force Germany to hold a brolly over me whilst I try them on?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:31 am

I could even exhume Suzi Perry and get her to ask me a series of banal questions on the shop floor and I could pointedly take out my iPhone headphones first.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Hooli @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:11 pm

moleamol wrote:
Hooli wrote:I wear leather jeans these days.

Have you finally come out of that closet?

Shush ginge, this is bike talk.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:54 pm

Tried on an AStars that's basically mine but newer/bigger and a comparable Dainese two piece. No fcuking contest. The Dainese feels like my comfiest pair of jeans.

£800 though!!! :(

They didn't have a one piece short of £1000 so decided to give it a skip.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Yeah I think my one piece was about that - no idea why they're more than 2 pieces - same amount of material but less work!

Which ones did you get??
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Yeah I think my one piece was about that - no idea why they're more than 2 pieces - same amount of material but less work!

Which ones did you get??

I'm moving troops into position around the Dainese and intend to be capable of mutually assured destruction in the event of a first-strike scenario. A lot of loving parts. Top diplomacing.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by S1K @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Dis will unload fire and fury like the world has never seen on Dainese. His forces are locked and loaded. Great forces. The best forces.
S1K

Post by NNK @ Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Does anyone still do made to measure in UK ? Was it BKS that used to ?

DIS, obv we all like to support our local stores, but once you know your Dainese size ......
Last years colours in a one piece could be half price somewhere .
NNK

Post by Hooli @ Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:13 pm

Is there really that much difference between a one piece & a two pieced zipped together comfort wise? Assuming both fit of course.
Hooli
Turtle Rubber

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Well, I have just levelled my Dainese two piece into Scorched Earth with all my arsenal.

I've just been back into the shop and explained that I was keen to buy, keen to support my local shop and so on, but I could save around £150 online, if I wanted to be a shit. They did me a deal, knocked off a hundred quid and gave me £80 in store vouchers so pretty happy with that.

The D1 Racing jacket:

And the Misano 'pant':

Got the jacket in a slightly roomier size so I can put a fleece under it and reckon it will make a solid do it all suit...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by S1K @ Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm

They're not going to be very comfortable with the jacket facing forwards and the trousers facing backwards. Or is that how you're built Dis?
S1K

Next

Return to Bike Chat