Vespa Primavera Restoration

Two wheels good.

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Pigeon @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Yes. Supply wires to the connectors at the end of each bulb, and earth to the one sticking up from under the middle-ish of the brass strip.

Cutout? Fcuk knows. For the wires to come in? As long as water doesn't come in I can't see it matters.

10:1 running-in mix, that must have smoked like a bastard. At least a Seagull outboard used to let its farts under water.
User avatar
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 pm
Location: All alone in the crazy city

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Pigeon wrote:Yes. Supply wires to the connectors at the end of each bulb, and earth to the one sticking up from under the middle-ish of the brass strip.

Cutout? Fcuk knows. For the wires to come in? As long as water doesn't come in I can't see it matters.

10:1 running-in mix, that must have smoked like a bastard. At least a Seagull outboard used to let its farts under water.


Laugh. Thanks Pige.
Yes, I just noticed the 10:1 when I posted it. It was the 70's: diesel fumes, coal fires, etc. so I suppose you didn't notice the smoke that much.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:52 am

Yes I thought it was finished but it's not. I'm going to upgrade the suspension with Carbone shocks:

Image


Then maybe a disc kit for the front.






Then maybe a Parmakit engine upgrade.



Then... aww bugger, I'll never stop will I?
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Il Duce wrote:

Then... aww bugger, I'll never stop will I?

No, unfortunately not.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: ÓêðàèíàzzzzzÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓ
Highscores: 4

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by CJ+ @ Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Very nice. You done good.

Also, put your hose away, you ghastly council immigrant.
User avatar
CJ+
 
Posts: 15541
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 pm
Location: Lave Orbital Station
Highscores: 1

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:40 am

CJ+ wrote:Very nice. You done good.

Also, put your hose away, you ghastly council immigrant.


I'd just washed the scooter ffs!

Anyway, rear light fitted:
Before
Image
After
Image

Yes massive difference. Sigh.
I had to strip back the wires to fit and only had some brown and blue so I duly soldered them and put sleeve connectors over the top just in case.
Ok. Time to start it to see that the lights work.
Kick, kick kick. Balls. No start.
Off with the tank. This involves removing a cotter pin for the fuel tap that is a total 'mare to replace because you have to do it blind.
Carb off. Take it apart. Put it back together. Refit. Refit tank. Spend 20 mins refitting the cotter pin.
Smell petrol. See petroltap is leaking. Remove cotter pin. remove tank. Empty tank. Take fuel tap apart. Put it back together. Leaks worse. Realise I can't remember how it came apart. Remember I bought a spare AND the special tool to fit it because the nut is inside the tank:
Image
Remove fuel tap and throw across garage. Refit new tap. Refit tank but fail to get cotter pin in. Remove tank. Drill out hole for cotter pin. Refit tank. Refit cotter pin in 10 seconds.
Kick Kick Start! Rear stop light not working and goes out when I brake.
Consult wiring diagrams. Conclude I know nothing but remove lamp and check wiring.
Discover I have the earth on the wrong pin. Sort it. Start it. IT WORKS!!! Yay.

Front lights are all to feck though. They all work but weirdly.
Dip beam on all the time. Side light not on. Side light comes on when I switch to dip. Main and dip ok.
Time to stop. Three hours and loads of petrol fumes has fried my head. I'll look at it another day.

But I'll just have a look at the suspension and how it comes off. Just two bolts for the rear but the bloody tank has to come off. Reading up on it I've discovered why my spark plug caps kept cracking. If the rear shock is knackered the scooter body touches the top of the plug when you sit on it and it cracks. Time for a change then.
Two bolts for the front. Wait what's this? The bottom rubber bush on the shock has disintegrated and is moving side to side and around like a drunken auntie at a wedding. Also looks like the shock is knackered. How did this get an MOT ffs? It would also explain the shit handling and scary dive when you brake.
Luckily new shocks are on their way from zee Germans and will be here for next week.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 am

Nice work ID and excellent restro-thread post, with hoto of weird tool and all. This is the sort of thing we like. Now we're getting invested in the shocks arriving on time and being correct and fitting properly and all!
User avatar
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee
 
Posts: 6926
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:09 am

tanglerat wrote:Nice work ID and excellent restro-thread post, with hoto of weird tool and all. This is the sort of thing we like. Now we're getting invested in the shocks arriving on time and being correct and fitting properly and all!


Ah good. I wonder if it gets boring sometimes.

Anyway, They will arrive on time because SipScooter is a German company and they use UPS.
They should fit because SipScooter is a German company and they said they would fit.

The weak link here is that little orange bastard: 3 hours to fit a light with 3 wires and 1 bolt.
Despite the fact that the bloke on youtube replaced the same front shock in 3 mins 45 seconds, I predict they should take about 15 hours.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:04 am

I went into the garage yesterday with my mutimeter to sort out the front light. The lights work but don't correspond to the setting on the switch even though they match the circuit diagram. With the headlamp attached I put a meter in turn on every wire in the switch and light and they practically all came up as creating a circuit. Must be the light I thought so immediately ordered a new bulb holder.
After doing this I disconnected the bulb holder and tried the multimeter again. Bugger! All still showing circuits no matter where I connected or whether the switches were on or off. I'm fairly sure that if one of the wires had worn through and was making contact with another wire I'd have one or two false circuits but if the switch is in the off position I'm sure there should be no circuit regardless. Accordingly I think that the switch is faulty. Duly ordered. Are there any other possibilities I haven't considered? .. bearing in mind there are only four wires that go from switch to lamp: side, dip, main and earth

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 am

Another question. It's been changed to 12v and I'm not sure that has any bearing on this fault but there is an earth that leaves the headlamp but no earth arriving at the switch apart from the black wire that just is a small link wire from the switch to the the brown wire in the switch. Any ideas why this is?
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:04 am

Il Duce wrote:Another question. It's been changed to 12v and I'm not sure that has any bearing on this fault but there is an earth that leaves the headlamp but no earth arriving at the switch apart from the black wire that just is a small link wire from the switch to the the brown wire in the switch. Any ideas why this is?

I would expect (and his could well be wrong) the frame to be earthed, so only a switched live is required to the light - the earth will just be connected to the frame of the scooter somewhere near the light.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: ÓêðàèíàzzzzzÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓÓ
Highscores: 4

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:31 am

Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Another question. It's been changed to 12v and I'm not sure that has any bearing on this fault but there is an earth that leaves the headlamp but no earth arriving at the switch apart from the black wire that just is a small link wire from the switch to the the brown wire in the switch. Any ideas why this is?

I would expect (and his could well be wrong) the frame to be earthed, so only a switched live is required to the light - the earth will just be connected to the frame of the scooter somewhere near the light.


Ah, that makes sense. Great. Thanks.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:07 am

Suspension arrived today from Germany.
Light switch arrived too.
Waiting for the new bulb holder and a performance air filter.

New front wheel ordered due to flaky chrome on the current one.
I'm thinking about changing the front light glass and chrome rim.

This has officially become a full restoration ffs!
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Bodhi @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 am

Il Duce wrote:The PX is finally ready for sale:

Image
Image




This looks excellent ID.

How much is it up for, or has it sold already?
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14133
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 am

ID, all the contacts look very dirty, so take them all off, clean and replace.

As Aes has mentioned, the earth will be provided by the body and quite possibly by the fixing screw hence why it might give strange results when removed and tested against live.

Good thread!
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 15903
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 am

Bodhi wrote:
Il Duce wrote:The PX is finally ready for sale:

Image
Image




This looks excellent ID.

How much is it up for, or has it sold already?


I've got it up for £1950 just to allow for discounters.
I want £1750.
The CTF price is £1695 and I'm just about getting a good drink from it at that price. (N.B. not Stuart standards of "good drink")
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am

Deuteronomy wrote:ID, all the contacts look very dirty, so take them all off, clean and replace.

As Aes has mentioned, the earth will be provided by the body and quite possibly by the fixing screw hence why it might give strange results when removed and tested against live.

Good thread!


Thanks.
I have a new switch and bulb holder unit to fit so do you mean replace all the spade connectors that connect to the bulb holder?
Fixing screw is insulated from anything in the switch but I'll bear that in mind on Thursday afternoon when I'm throwing spanners around my garage and doing my tourettes impersonation.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by moleamol @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:ID, all the contacts look very dirty, so take them all off, clean and replace.

As Aes has mentioned, the earth will be provided by the body and quite possibly by the fixing screw hence why it might give strange results when removed and tested against live.

Good thread!


Thanks.
I have a new switch and bulb holder unit to fit so do you mean replace all the spade connectors that connect to the bulb holder?
Fixing screw is insulated from anything in the switch but I'll bear that in mind on Thursday afternoon when I'm throwing spanners around my garage and doing my tourettes impersonation.

I think he meant clean them and then put them back rather than clean them and then replace them. I'd say it's probably better to replace them (your spades) if you're capable and putting a new holder in though.
User avatar
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
 
Posts: 11170
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:19 pm
Location: Wigwam

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:51 pm

moleamol wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:ID, all the contacts look very dirty, so take them all off, clean and replace.

As Aes has mentioned, the earth will be provided by the body and quite possibly by the fixing screw hence why it might give strange results when removed and tested against live.

Good thread!


Thanks.
I have a new switch and bulb holder unit to fit so do you mean replace all the spade connectors that connect to the bulb holder?
Fixing screw is insulated from anything in the switch but I'll bear that in mind on Thursday afternoon when I'm throwing spanners around my garage and doing my tourettes impersonation.

I think he meant clean them and then put them back rather than clean them and then replace them. I'd say it's probably better to replace them (your spades) if you're capable and putting a new holder in though.


Ah I see: replace as in reconnect.
Oh you crazy english! Always confusing of the foreign dago much.
Praise the lord!
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:36 pm

moleamol wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:ID, all the contacts look very dirty, so take them all off, clean and replace.

As Aes has mentioned, the earth will be provided by the body and quite possibly by the fixing screw hence why it might give strange results when removed and tested against live.

Good thread!


Thanks.
I have a new switch and bulb holder unit to fit so do you mean replace all the spade connectors that connect to the bulb holder?
Fixing screw is insulated from anything in the switch but I'll bear that in mind on Thursday afternoon when I'm throwing spanners around my garage and doing my tourettes impersonation.

I think he meant clean them and then put them back rather than clean them and then replace them. I'd say it's probably better to replace them (your spades) if you're capable and putting a new holder in though.


Yes, put them back.
User avatar
Deuteronomy
 
Posts: 15903
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:15 am

New front wheel arrived today.

So this afternoon I shall be:
1. Unloading 3 ton of wood my mate gave me.
2. Fitting suspension
3. Swapping front wheel and tyre.
4. Fitting light switch
5. Fitting front bulb holder
6. Rewiring the switch when it doesn't work as it should.


I predict no.1 will go fine, possibly, then it will turn into a tourettes afternoon.

I shall update you with the numerous cock-ups and disasters tomorrow.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
Good thread!


Agreed, and I'm not even slightly mechanically-minded.

10 points to Hufflepoof!
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 26396
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:39 am

Rod Rammage wrote:
Deuteronomy wrote:
Good thread!


Agreed, and I'm not even slightly mechanically-minded.

10 points to Hufflepoof!


Ooh that's nice! Thanks.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Il Duce wrote:
I'm just about getting a good drink from it at that price.



What does this mean please? I’ve seen it used in connection with paying tradesmen before - is it a defined sum of money??
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 38697
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Rod Rammage @ Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Disastrous wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
I'm just about getting a good drink from it at that price.



What does this mean please? I’ve seen it used in connection with paying tradesmen before - is it a defined sum of money??


No.

Just a relatively small sum.
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 26396
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Disastrous @ Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Rod Rammage wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
I'm just about getting a good drink from it at that price.



What does this mean please? I’ve seen it used in connection with paying tradesmen before - is it a defined sum of money??


No.

Just a relatively small sum.



Relative to what? It doesn’t sound that good a drink if it’s a small sum!
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 38697
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by spast1kunt @ Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:19 pm

It's most likely related to how much would you spend on a decent piss-up, rather than the value associated to a glass of tap water drawn through a water meter.
User avatar
spast1kunt
 
Posts: 4880
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am

3 tons of logs unloaded and so to the garage for some mechanic fun!

Front shocker first. Old one off- easy! One nut at the top and two bolts at the bottom.
Image
New one back on. Easy. NO! I put the nut on the top mount but the bottom bolt wouldn't go through the shocker hole. Then I realised I had to slide the axle back but on doing so it disturbed the roller bearings inside. For the non-mechanics roller bearings are about as big as the little bar that connects your watch strap to you watch. They are arranged inside the axle in a complete circle horizontally like a little circular conveyor belt for your axle. About 8 of these little bastards decided to move themselves all over the place inside where the axle goes. Fortunately my years of experience in fingering women came in handy and I was able to rearrange them back to their rightful places. Axle back in. 2 bolts tightened. Job done.
Image

Rear axle next. One bolt at the bottom. Easy. One nut at the top. Easy.
Image
Here they are: old and new.
Image
And then bolt it back in: EASY! Job done.
Image
Next. Front wheel. New on left. Trust me the one on the right is rusty around the rim.
Image
And fitted! EASY!
Image

Now the final job. The light switch. Disconnected. New switch reconnected.
Start the engine and it's like Blackpool illuminations. Dip is on all the time but it comes on before the side light.
So the switch that should be OFF-SIDE-DIP gives me: ON-DIP-DIP & SIDE. but no OFF.

using the other toggle I can flip between dip and main which is right.
The horn works. The engine cut out works.

Everything is as per the wiring diagram- (the 12V and 6V are identical as far as the lights are concerned) apart from there seems to be no direct earth connection between the earth tab on the bulb holder and the earth terminal on the switch. On the switch there is that black link wire which goes from the earth terminal to the DIP terminal (brown) when it should go to the earth tab on the bulb holder. (this a picture of the old switch but I've connected the new one identically)
Image

So I'm thinking of disconnecting that little black link wire and running an earth wire from that terminal to the earth on the bulb holder. What do the experts think?
If I do that and nothing explodes and it still doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.
Last edited by Il Duce on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 11752
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Rod Rammage @ Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:45 am

Disastrous wrote:
Rod Rammage wrote:
Disastrous wrote:
Il Duce wrote:
I'm just about getting a good drink from it at that price.



What does this mean please? I’ve seen it used in connection with paying tradesmen before - is it a defined sum of money??


No.

Just a relatively small sum.



Relative to what? It doesn’t sound that good a drink if it’s a small sum!



Relative to the thing it is that you're talking about.

Say you brokered "a deal", for example.

Say the deal was worth maybe £100k - a drink might be a grand or two.

If the deal was worth a mil I would say a drink would be £5k/£10k, something like that.
User avatar
Rod Rammage
 
Posts: 26396
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:05 am

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:33 pm

It's super cool that ID managed to recruit Norbert from TT's Congo trip to take the photos in this otherwise ace thread.
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 33517
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

yt
  Enable youtube titles