Vespa Primavera Restoration

Two wheels good.

Re: Vespa Primavera Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:49 am

spast1kunt wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Well the PX sold for more than I expected and I've received the money. It's going to G12 Glasgow.

Dis or Stuart?

Scott (apt) from Dowanhill.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:02 am

I fitted a new chrome legshield surround last night. No photos because I forgot. It looks much better as it's thicker than the thin plastic/chrome one that was on there. It actually went on without a problem.

It's going in to the scooter repairer tomorrow to sort out the slipping gears, electrics, and leaking carb among other things.
I shall update on the meeting where I ask them exactly what they did for all that money the last time apart from fit the cables and slightly strip it for spraying. Oh and how it got through an MOT with a knackered front bush and lights that won't turn off.

They are currently on my hate list until they can prove otherwise.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 am

Still no news as they haven't started on it yet apparently due to a weekend bike emergency they had to sort before mine.
When I dropped it off they said that the gear slipping is probably due to the new cables stretching slightly as they are sure it was working perfectly when they returned it.

With that in mind and hopefully no massive repair bill due, there could be a new project soon.

Bloke on another forum has a 125 Nuova (1966) that he's stripped and had the frame powder-coated. He's also bought all the new bits that are required. All that's needed is re-assembly. The price is ok but it's a daunting prospect trying to rebuild something that you didn't take apart yourself- especially the engine! Here are some photos:

I suppose if I get stuck I have all of you to turn to.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:02 am

If you're sure that it will all go back together and that he hasn't abandoned the project because he knows there's a nasty surprise in there somewhere that seems like a good idea. A bike in bits is surely only worth half the price of an assembled one.
spast1kunt

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:11 am

spast1kunt wrote:If you're sure that it will all go back together and that he hasn't abandoned the project because he knows there's a nasty surprise in there somewhere that seems like a good idea. A bike in bits is surely only worth half the price of an assembled one.

There can't be that much to go wrong, there's so few components!
Deuteronomy

Post by spast1kunt @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:14 am

Deuteronomy wrote:
spast1kunt wrote:If you're sure that it will all go back together and that he hasn't abandoned the project because he knows there's a nasty surprise in there somewhere that seems like a good idea. A bike in bits is surely only worth half the price of an assembled one.

Those sound like some famous last words Deuts.

Go on ID, Deuts says he'll buy it from you for the same price you paid if it all goes tits up.
spast1kunt

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:23 am

Deuteronomy wrote:

This is true.
Also he's done quite a few full restorations and is well known in Vespa circles. I've seen his restos and they are perfect and his workshop is like a surgery. He started to concentrate on Lambrettas but had two smallframes to complete. He did the one:

but never got around to the other one.

It's a gamble but then so is every vehicle purchase. I figure when rebuilt there is about £600 profit in it so I have some cover for unexpected disasters.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am

pretty
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:28 am

thekungfury wrote:pretty

Agreed
Deuteronomy

Post by Strawman @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Il Duce wrote:Also he's done quite a few full restorations and is well known in Vespa circles. I've seen his restos and they are perfect and his workshop is like a surgery. He started to concentrate on Lambrettas but had two smallframes to complete. He did the one:

I like the stripes, could you do this with a white and green stripe?
Strawman

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:27 pm

Strawman wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Also he's done quite a few full restorations and is well known in Vespa circles. I've seen his restos and they are perfect and his workshop is like a surgery. He started to concentrate on Lambrettas but had two smallframes to complete. He did the one:

Oh yes.

But I wouldn't.

Because it wouldn't work: green stripe, white stripe, massive red stripe on the right.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:08 am

Il Duce wrote:
Strawman wrote:

Oh yes.

But I wouldn't.

Because it wouldn't work: green stripe, white stripe, massive red stripe on the right.

And I'm sure if you did, the stripes would be the same thickness all the way down and not all wobbly like they are?

That. Makes. My. Teeth. Itch.
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:26 am

Maybe the curve of the legshield or the photo that's making them look wobbly. Having seen some of his other projects he doesn't seem to be the sort of person that would settle for less than perfection:

He's offering to bring the kit bike to Cardiff to save me the courier so it looks almost like a done deal.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Arsebiscuits!

Just had a call from the repairers to say that adjusting the cables didn't solve the gear jumping problem. As I thought anyway.
This means that the engine has to be removed and split.

And while it's split there are parts that maybe part worn that might as well be changed: clutch, bearings, oil seals, primary gear....

Sigh.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm

Il Duce wrote:Arsebiscuits!

Just had a call from the repairers to say that adjusting the cables didn't solve the gear jumping problem. As I thought anyway.

And while it's split there are parts that maybe part worn that might as well be changed: clutch, bearings, oil seals, primary gear....

Sigh.

Good. No wait, bad?

Good if you're going to do this and the restro-thread is off in unexpected directions. That's proper restro stuff, that is.

Surely to God you're not just going to pay the spannermen to do it whilst they're at it, are you?
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:17 pm

tanglerat wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Arsebiscuits!

Sigh.

Good. No wait, bad?

Good if you're going to do this and the restro-thread is off in unexpected directions. That's proper restro stuff, that is.

Surely to God you're not just going to pay the spannermen to do it whilst they're at it, are you?

Yes.
The orange one is the one that I'm taking back to Italy. It has to be 100% bulletproof reliable as I want to spend my holidays on it and not under it because of me cocking up something. The spannermen are going to do that one as I won't know which bits should be changed or not. I could just change all of the bits but that would work out more expensive than them splitting and changing just the worn bits.

I shall do the red one as it's just complex re-assembly: sort of the next stage up from what I've been doing.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Previous

Return to Bike Chat