New Bonneville

Two wheels good.

New Bonneville

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 pm

My new bike just arrived.

It’s a 2014 Triumph Bonneville and has done less than 3000 miles. It has a lovely two-tone paint job with a sort of pearlescent white finish and I love it massively.

I still have the Chinese Herald 250 but it is quite slow and whilst it looks nice, it’s really no Bonnie.

Can’t really give you much of a review as I’ve just ridden it home from the office in the rain but it seems comfortable and looks cool. Needs to be louder though, so will address that.

Also, the Aprilia Mille passed its MOT today so I’m feeling pretty stoked with quite a good selection of working bikes for different moods.

Only photo I have is this, quickly grabbed:

(Chinese bike in background)
Last edited by Disastrous on Tue May 01, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Re: New Bonneville

Post by Freddie @ Tue May 01, 2018 6:41 pm

?
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Nice one Dis, you've hankered after one for a while I seem to remember so I hope it lives up to expectations. 3 bikes is a good number...damn you.

Please tell me that's the new garage?!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 pm

?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Nice one Dis, you've hankered after one for a while I seem to remember so I hope it lives up to expectations. 3 bikes is a good number...damn you.

Please tell me that's the new garage?!

Ha, no. That’s my warehouse at work. I wish!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Freddie @ Tue May 01, 2018 6:49 pm

My notebook is doing a Stuart. All I see is an X. Oh well.
Freddie
Herzogtum Preussen
Herzogtum Preussen

Post by S1K @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:02 pm

Looks cool Dis, though I can't help feeling that maybe the wheels look a bit modern compared with the rest of the bike. Would the spoked wheels from the Chinese bike fit on the Triumph?
S1K

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:07 pm

S1K wrote:Looks cool Dis, though I can't help feeling that maybe the wheels look a bit modern compared with the rest of the bike. Would the spoked wheels from the Chinese bike fit on the Triumph?

I prefer the Mags...they ride much better! The Bonnies had them in the 70’s too, if you care about that sort of thing. Plus cleaning spokes. fcuk that.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by S1K @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:13 pm

I suppose that it just feels more like a 60's bike to me than a 70's bike.

You've got to dress like this now Dis.

S1K

Post by NNK @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:37 pm

S1K wrote:I You've got to dress like this now Dis.

I believe he does
NNK

Post by span @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:38 pm

Wow, know nothing about it but that looks brilliant.
span

Post by NNK @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:41 pm

But back to the bike, is it the 865 engine ? If so they respond well to open pipes.

Obv needs clip ons , rearsets, 2;4 seat and WIRE wheels (you freak).

Get online and find a white silk scarf that you can thread a wire coat hanger through for 'that' look.
NNK

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue May 01, 2018 7:44 pm

That's superb Dis, well done!

Two tone white (with black) is a properly brilliant thing lately(, so much so that I'm thinking of buying some vinyl wrap film off eBay to make my Shogun look like that (think District 9 Hilux)) and your bike looks excellent.

I love it when people get nice things!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 01, 2018 8:24 pm

S1K wrote:I suppose that it just feels more like a 60's bike to me than a 70's bike.

You've got to dress like this now Dis.

I don’t actually disagree. I think I’d have probably chosen spokes stylistically but everything else was so clean and it’s basically new, for less than I could find one anywhere else, so can live with them...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by deev @ Tue May 01, 2018 8:45 pm

That's rather awesome.
deev
Banger King

Highscores: 3

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 pm

NNK wrote:But back to the bike, is it the 865 engine ? If so they respond well to open pipes.

Obv needs clip ons , rearsets, 2;4 seat and WIRE wheels (you freak).

Get online and find a white silk scarf that you can thread a wire coat hanger through for 'that' look.

What’s a 2:4 seat nnk?

To be honest, I plan to keep this as a tourer. I’ve got the Mille for going fast so cool as the Thruxton looks, I’m aiming for comfort...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by NNK @ Tue May 01, 2018 9:33 pm

Its like a café racer seat, I remember the name (brand?) from the days of Yamaha LC's , etc.
A quick Google brought up -

Motorbike-Universal-Black-Brown-Hump-Cafe-Racer-Seat-Vintage-Saddle-For-Honda-CB160-CB350-CB500-CL200.jpg
Motorbike-Universal-Black-Brown-Hump-Cafe-Racer-Seat-Vintage-Saddle-For-Honda-CB160-CB350-CB500-CL200.jpg (179.68 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
NNK

Post by Disastrous @ Tue May 01, 2018 11:12 pm

NNK wrote:Its like a café racer seat, I remember the name (brand?) from the days of Yamaha LC's , etc.
A quick Google brought up -

Motorbike-Universal-Black-Brown-Hump-Cafe-Racer-Seat-Vintage-Saddle-For-Honda-CB160-CB350-CB500-CL200.jpg

I suspected that was the sort of thing you meant-never heard the name before though...

I’m massively humming and hawing over the Chinese bike. A side of me thinks it’s pretty cool looking and would be a good project for an awful hipster custom with clipons and a chopped saddle. Another side of me thinks I should punt it down to Bavaria to have as a nice runaround for the week or two a year we spend there. A third side thinks I should just sell it and by a motox now we’re out the city. Dunno.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by NNK @ Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 am

Disastrous wrote:[q
I’m massively humming and hawing over the Chinese bike. A side of me thinks it’s pretty cool looking and would be a good project for an awful hipster custom with clipons and a chopped saddle. Another side of me thinks I should punt it down to Bavaria to have as a nice runaround for the week or two a year we spend there. A third side thinks I should just sell it and by a motox now we’re out the city. Dunno.

Buy a supermotard (with some mx wheels too), within a month you will sell the Aprilia (and keep your licence )

ETA - sell the chinky
Last edited by NNK on Wed May 02, 2018 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
NNK

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed May 02, 2018 1:13 pm

I like it Dis, looks Les Tits
Deuteronomy

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed May 02, 2018 3:01 pm

The wheels and wing mirror would need a swap if that was mine.

Looks good though. Hope you’ve got the proper retro kit to ride it. No full face helmets. NO.
GingerNinja

Post by thekungfury @ Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm

I can’t see the picture but well done.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Wed May 02, 2018 3:39 pm

GingerNinja wrote:The wheels and wing mirror would need a swap if that was mine.

Looks good though. Hope you’ve got the proper retro kit to ride it. No full face helmets. NO.

I love the bar end mirrors - I’d have done that swap myself!

I’ve got an open face but honestly, they’re shit! Triumph has gone a bit hipster cnut for my tastes these days. They were selling fcuking beard oil in the main dealers last time i was in. I’m not sure I can buy into all the Roland Sands retro kit thing...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 pm

Disastrous wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:The wheels and wing mirror would need a swap if that was mine.

I’ve got an open face but honestly, they’re shit! Triumph has gone a bit hipster cnut for my tastes these days. They were selling fcuking beard oil in the main dealers last time i was in. I’m not sure I can buy into all the Roland Sands retro kit thing...

Sure - bar end mirrors are cool, but at least get some round shorter ones!

Thought about something like a Bell Bullit or Biltwell Gringo for that retro full face look?
GingerNinja

Post by Disastrous @ Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

Thought about something like a Bell Bullit or Biltwell Gringo for that retro full face look?

I dunno. I think it’s the start of a very hipster road. They’d look weird with modern leathers IMO, and I can’t get away from the stark reality that modern kit is waaaay better than fashion retro kit.

I’ve got a good Dainese 2 piece that’s basically bullet proof with metal shoulders etc. I’ve also got a trendy Spidi retro thing for fcuking about town. Cool as it is, if I was going for a few days up the west coast, I’m taking the Dainese jacket and some Kevlar jeans every time!

I don’t care about kit around the city but out properly I don’t want to fall off with a fashion jacket on.

As an aside, ninj, have you watched “Its Better in the Wind”? If not, then you should, as I think you’d dig it. It’s a sort of 15 minute passion project by the photographer Scott Toepfer and is his take on a road movie, with a soundtrack by Chuck Ragan. Some of it even shot on Super 8. It’s cool.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by GingerNinja @ Wed May 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Disastrous wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:
Disastrous wrote:

I dunno. I think it’s the start of a very hipster road. They’d look weird with modern leathers IMO, and I can’t get away from the stark reality that modern kit is waaaay better than fashion retro kit.

I’ve got a good Dainese 2 piece that’s basically bullet proof with metal shoulders etc. I’ve also got a trendy Spidi retro thing for fcuking about town. Cool as it is, if I was going for a few days up the west coast, I’m taking the Dainese jacket and some Kevlar jeans every time!

I don’t care about kit around the city but out properly I don’t want to fall off with a fashion jacket on.

As an aside, ninj, have you watched “Its Better in the Wind”? If not, then you should, as I think you’d dig it. It’s a sort of 15 minute passion project by the photographer Scott Toepfer and is his take on a road movie, with a soundtrack by Chuck Ragan. Some of it even shot on Super 8. It’s cool.

I just find it weird that you buy a retro styled bike then ride around in modern styled leathers and helmet - its purely a visual clash. I get that a lot of loose retro cafe jackets wont be as good as a fitted sports type jacket, but they’re all made of the same material with similar armour. Pretty sure the big brands are making fitted retro-ish jackets that ought to perform as well as the modern stuff.

Aaaaaaanyway, enjoy the bike!

I’ll look out for that film - cheers.
GingerNinja

Post by Disastrous @ Thu May 03, 2018 12:16 am

:hehe: I suppose I imagine that old bikers would have worn better modern kit if it was available.

It’s just a bike to me - I like how they look but I don’t want to dress up in costume for it. I wouldn’t get a mullet and rape people if I had an Opel Manta forex.

The film is on YouTube - highly recommended!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Dirk @ Thu May 03, 2018 8:45 am

Disastrous wrote: I wouldn’t get a mullet and rape people if I had an Opel Manta forex.

<is sceptical>
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 am

Dirk wrote:
Disastrous wrote: I wouldn’t get a mullet and rape people if I had an Opel Manta forex.

<is sceptical>

I think that may be a question of which one inevitably leads to the other...

ETA: love the bonneville, wish i had the space (and money) for more bikes. :(
Last edited by Aesgarth on Thu May 03, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Turntable @ Thu May 03, 2018 5:37 pm

I love this D.
How does it feel to ride?
And how much, if you don’t mind me asking.
It’s very tempting!
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Next

Return to Bike Chat