Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by desertweasel @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:01 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
I’ve generally found the horn is a complete waste of time on a bike. They’re not loud and the time spent using it would be better spent avoiding the idiot/situation that you think needs it’s use. Once safe, follow up with either some form of physical gesture, or a kick/slap to part of the offending vehicle. And lots of in-helmet swearing, obvs.

The Chinese Honda 150 thingy I used in Vietnam had a ridiculously loud aftermarket horn, was pretty effective and the only thing that cut through the general racket, was enough to make cars think for a few seconds before they brutally cut you up.
desertweasel

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:51 pm

On a whim, this afternoon I've been in to my local (didn't know I had one!) Triumph dealer. What an utterly excellent set of blokes! Totally un-salesman-y but massively enthusiastic about their things:

Have a coffee! Have an ice pop out of the freezer! Have a sit on these new bikes! Have a chat! Have a play with all the Triumph-branded riding gear! Have a look at these numbers to give you affordability ideas! Have a look at the detail here on the top yoke! Have a look at these custom two-tome colours! Have a look at my own bike out the back by the workshop! Have this stack of literature! Have a couple of photos of you sitting on this Street Scrambler! Have a cup of coffee any time you're passing!

Just fab, even though I showed literally no sign of buying any of their things, and was frank about how I'm just looking at 1,000,000 different bikes, approx. The only problem is that it turns out I can comfortably finance a Street Scrambler, and now I want to. How gorge are they?

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 pm

156677FD-6FE9-4CF4-929F-F5FD95338FC4.jpeg
156677FD-6FE9-4CF4-929F-F5FD95338FC4.jpeg (91.49 KiB) Viewed 974 times

Just the thing to play Steve McQueen.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:14 pm

Yup.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:52 am

I've been for a test ride on a bike this morning, that I was/am thinking about buying. A Ducati Scrambler 800, with factory Termigoni. A Classic, in orange with wire wheels and a brown leather seat.

It was a lovely thing, and it sounded fantastically addictive. Tiny though! Tiny tank, and very narrow. It was fun to ride, and again,, the noise was wonderful.

But I'm in two very different minds. I've half convinced myself that my Honda is dull, but I think that might be because I use it to commute on and it's the commute that's dull. Whenever I ride it for fun I love it: it's all the things you'd like a motorbike to be/do, without any foibles. Or character, unfortunately.

But as it would cost me a couple of grand to change, I'm wondering if I might see more benefit putting that couple of grand into another bike (as well as, not instead of), that's completely different and doesn't have to be relied on for boring things. Like a little 250 scrambler or something.

Just for laughs.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:50 am

Speaking personally, more bikes is always better than one bike. I love the dirtbike I got (must do a thread!) and it was less thank £2k and easy to spanner, fun to ride etc...
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:19 pm

True dat. Also, yes, thread please.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:51 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:On a whim, this afternoon I've been in to my local (didn't know I had one!) Triumph dealer. What an utterly excellent set of blokes! Totally un-salesman-y but massively enthusiastic about their things:

Have a coffee! Have an ice pop out of the freezer! Have a sit on these new bikes! Have a chat! Have a play with all the Triumph-branded riding gear! Have a look at these numbers to give you affordability ideas! Have a look at the detail here on the top yoke! Have a look at these custom two-tome colours! Have a look at my own bike out the back by the workshop! Have this stack of literature! Have a couple of photos of you sitting on this Street Scrambler! Have a cup of coffee any time you're passing!

Just fab, even though I showed literally no sign of buying any of their things, and was frank about how I'm just looking at 1,000,000 different bikes, approx. The only problem is that it turns out I can comfortably finance a Street Scrambler, and now I want to. How gorge are they?

That's well lush.
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:53 pm

The Ducati I tried this morning was too:

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Snowdonia National Park blew me away these last couple of days. The scenery changes over every mountain/hill, the roads are amazing and perfect for bikes. I was surprised at how much I loved it, it probably helped being in sunshine the entire time we were there which I suspect is unusual. I'll do a little write up tomorrow once my ageing joints have recovered.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by S1K @ Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:28 pm

I used to go to Snowdonia every year as a child, either with the family or with Scouts, staying in Corris or Llanberis or Pen-y-pass hostels. I’ve been up Cader Idris loads of times, starting aged six or seven, and Tryfan, where you have to jump between Adam and Eve, the two rocks at the summit, but for some reason I’ve never been to the top of Snowdon.
S1K

Post by ttwiggy @ Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:37 pm

I went up there last November for a friend's 50th and the weather was sensational, but I'm sure that's very unusual. I went back this April with work (taking photos) and it actually snowed. Stunning place though. I prefer it to the Lakes I think as everything is closer and the scenery is somehow more epic.
ttwiggy

Post by S1K @ Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:45 pm

We always used to go in the winter with Scouts. Climbing the mountains in the snow is somehow more special.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Motorcyclers: what do you do with your helmet when you're off the bike? When I had the top box on I'd put it in there, but now I don't, I don't.

So I just carry it around with me instead. But I'm thinking I could chain it to the bike and leave it. Dunno. You?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:40 pm

You should wear it into the bank and the petrol station and other establishments. I'm reliably informed that they love this, and are just waiting for an opportunity to talk about motorbikes with a fellow enthusiast.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by wi11iam @ Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 pm

I saw a dog cock its leg over a helmet on the floor but chained to a bike once.

Maybe very rare but I wouldn’t want to risk having to put a wee soaked lid on.
wi11iam

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:08 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Motorcyclers: what do you do with your helmet when you're off the bike? When I had the top box on I'd put it in there, but now I don't, I don't.

So I just carry it around with me instead. But I'm thinking I could chain it to the bike and leave it. Dunno. You?

I just hang mine off the mirror.
It cost £14 so I couldn't give a shit.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Never had a topbox, so would take it with me. I would usually have the soft bag that came with it to carry it around in, and protect it from light knocks. Would never ever leave it chained to the bike for various reason, most of which involve it getting damaged in some shape or form.
GingerNinja

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:44 pm

All the Japanese bikes I had in my yoof had helmet locks, guess they're not a thing any more?
desertweasel

Post by NNK @ Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:20 pm

Depending on your helmet strap (seatbelt close of D's) you can lock to something under seat.
Or cable/chain it to the bike.

I did see on Wish some old style helmet locks that you can bolt on behind passenger peg.
NNK

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:10 pm

I've bought myself one of these:

It's an Oxford Kickback shirt. Actually it's the second one I've bought, because I think they're brilliant. The first one is blue and white check, this one is black (duh!)

Full Kevlar lining, pockets for armour - including the back. Loops to attach to your belt. Lightly shower resistant. Fits like an overshirt, or one of those "shackets", so called. Actual brilliant.

You can wear it as a jacket when it's hot weather, as it breathes and is cooler than leathers or regular textiles. Or wear it under any old bigger coat/jacket to be warm and dry, as well as safe.

Hype and fan!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Like that, and seems like good value compared to the competition.

Are you growing a hipster beard and what wallet-on-a-chain did you get?
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:27 pm

I do currently have a beard!

Although it will be short lived, I fear, as I intend to ever have more sex with Mrs Thorn.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I do currently have a beard!

Although it will be short lived, I fear, as I intend to ever have more sex with Mrs Thorn.

She’s not sold on the grizzled renegade look then, eh.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:18 pm

Tell me about your earplugs please, if you use them. I've been merrily bashing around for the last seven months or so without any, and now I've just read that it is IMPERATIVE that I use them or I will get tinnitus or go deaf, or both.

This has instantly terrified me into thinking that I should get some of the cheapo disposable ones right away and see what difference they make. Possibly more relevant to me as I commute on the DC so regularly ride at 70ish, which means quite a lot of wind noise - which is apparently the problem.

Thoughts please, riders with ears.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:35 pm

I've never had a problem with wind noise at legal speeds, and I'd much rather be able to hear things around me.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Well, me too. But I wonder if they cut out the wind noise without eliminating everything else that's useful. Surely people wouldn't ride with earplugs or recommend their importance if they were a danger.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:28 pm

You should always wear plugs IMO, they don’t stop you hearing stuff, just protect your hearing. You’re dead right, the damage to your ears will be tremendous otherwise.

I always buy the foam plugs you can buy in bulk bags from amazon. Keep thinking about custom ones but never get round to it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Right then. I've just ordered some Oxford foam ones. 25 pairs for a tenner.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I can't really afford to get any deafer, Mrs Thorn is always banging on that I don't listen anyway.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by wi11iam @ Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:56 pm

I went for the custom moulded ones at the NEC bike show one year as there were offers and they were taking the mould there and then to post out when made.

I find them very comfortable and effective, plus they don’t get rubbed off when putting a helmet on. You can still hear enough but it takes the edge off engine drone really well. An essential item for me.

I did spend the extra and get headphone speakers implanted in them. They were a cheap noise cancelling headphone solution until I snagged the cord and ripped it out of the earplug. Unrepairable so cable trimmed to be just earplugs. I wouldn’t bother with the headphones again because I would rip the cable out again in short order but if you miss music on the bike and can trust yourself it wasn’t a very expensive option.

And FWIW my foray into bike riding was a year and one day ago. Still not tempted to have another go but vicariously enjoying your progress.
wi11iam

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat