Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:21 pm

Good news on the theory stuff. I’d have been shocked if you’d failed though!

When’s the DAS start??
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:You’re right deut. Also, that one makes 24hp which I hate.

That's what I've subsequently discovered, and sounds rubbish. Just goes to show that you can't judge by appearances, incredibly.

I haven't booked a date for the DAS, but the man in the motorbike shop said the same as you (and nerv, and pretty much everyone else), not to bother messing about on a 125 but just to get stuck in and do the proper bike lessons / test asap.

I'll phone them on Monday and see what's what, and probably get something g booked for as early as I can. After being rained into oblivion on Sunday for the CBT, I was a bit nervous that the weather was starting to change and I might be stuck unconfidently wobbling about on a too-big bike in horrible conditions. But now I've spent the whole of today outside in sunglasses and a t shirt, I'm thinking differently.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:51 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I’d have been shocked if you’d failed though!

I wouldn't have been shocked, but I would have been embarrassed and pretty annoyed. Now I'm old, I've no real idea how I manage with tests and exams any more; apart from training courses I've done which nobody can actually really fail.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Now I'm old, I've no real idea how I manage with tests and exams any more; apart from training courses I've done which nobody can actually really fail.

O/T but Turnthomas and I were having this conversation the other day. My theory is if it's something you're interested in, then it's easy but if it doesn't interest you it's possibly harder than ever. That's all.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:17 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:You’re right deut. Also, that one makes 24hp which I hate.

I hate it too.
Deuteronomy

Post by wi11iam @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote: O/T but Turnthomas and I were having this conversation the other day. My theory is if it's something you're interested in, then it's easy but if it doesn't interest you it's possibly harder than ever. That's all.

I think the contrast between DaTho’s and my experience/outlook from the same CBT proves your point.

But I’ll watch with interest how this goes and if I can get mine to run who knows.

Congratulations on ambling through the theory test too.
wi11iam

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks.

Don't let my enthusiasm worry you. I have a history of becoming childishly excited about new things, and combining that with a strong vein of Beginner's Luck.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Now I'm old, I've no real idea how I manage with tests and exams any more; apart from training courses I've done which nobody can actually really fail.

O/T but Turnthomas and I were having this conversation the other day. My theory is if it's something you're interested in, then it's easy but if it doesn't interest you it's possibly harder than ever. That's all.

This is so true.

I’ve developed an almost autistic ability to devour knowledge on a subject I’m interested in and in counterpoint, I’ve also developed a complete inability to listen to, or retain anything that doesn’t interest me.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am

I'm going to be wanting to know about kit and stuff soon. What's worth getting and what's not, how much you need to spend to be actually pretty safe and ceteras.

I've been looking at SHARP for helmets, which seems pretty straightforward, but for gloves and boots there appears to be a rainbow of confusing options.

I like the look of these, xxxx, but is that completely ott? Or not enough glove?

Boots? No idea. I like these but, again, I've no clue if they're wretched or excellent. Of course you'd have to try this stuff on and see how you get on with it - but it needs to be half decent as well.

An actual minefield!
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:22 am

I get the feeling you only want to ride a bike for the boots n belstaff
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:33 am

I don't need an excuse to buy boots.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 am

I'd be looking through the MCN website or similar looking at their best buys if I were you.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/product-reviews/
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:35 pm

Right, well. The DAS module 1 test is booked, and the three days training beforehand. The test is on the 9th November, which suddenly feels ridiculously soon.

In fact, the whole thing seems faintly ridiculous - that the minimal training and testing I've already undertaken or booked up to do will render me (or anyone else who did it) able to ride any motorbike they want.

It's a bit surreal.

But I am really looking forward to it!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:46 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Right, well. The DAS module 1 test is booked, and the three days training beforehand. The test is on the 9th November, which suddenly feels ridiculously soon.

In fact, the whole thing seems faintly ridiculous - that the minimal training and testing I've already undertaken or booked up to do will render me (or anyone else who did it) able to ride any motorbike they want.

It's a bit surreal.

But I am really looking forward to it!

I didn't have to do mod-1 and mod-2 when I did my test, just theory and an on-road test, and I felt vaguely the same. I wasn't ready at all for a big bike that I could in theory have gone out and bought immediately. That said, while the 600 scared the shit out of me the first couple of times I went for a ride on it, it didn't take much getting used to over the 500 (i think) I'd been learning on. I guess it's not that different to the car test in that regard, the difference being that fast cars are far more expensive to buy and insure than fast bikes.

ETA: Good work on making progress with this.
Last edited by Aesgarth on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by wi11iam @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:50 pm

WRT helmet - go and try them on. Different makes fit differently and it’s got to fit first and look good second.

Also gives you a chance to look at other gear and chat things through.

Motorbike show at the NEC is usually autumn and there is often deals on kit that’s last year’s design.
wi11iam

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:28 pm

I've found some helmets with five star SHARP ratings, that are stocked by a big J&S only fifteen minutes away from me - so I'll head down there on Friday and see if I can pick something up after trying a few on. Boots too.

e: the NEC show isn't until the end of November, which is a little late for my timetable.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Re helmets- yes safety is key obvs but don’t think they’re all
Equal if sharp eating is the same. Comfort and noise levels tend to be way higher in pricier helmets plus you get optional integratwd cool things like Bluetoothery like mine has for music, calls etc.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:45 pm

I guess there isn't an easy way to know about comfort beyond a few minutes try-on in the shop? Noise, similarly.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:49 pm

Trying helmets on to suit your head size and shape is mandatory. There's not really any way to judge how they'll stand up to wind noise other than by reading group test reviews.

Ear plugs can be a good idea too, and you get them moulded to fit your ears like the ones racing drivers have.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:03 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I guess there isn't an easy way to know about comfort beyond a few minutes try-on in the shop? Noise, similarly.

True but better helmets are normally comfier* and quieter. Ear plugs are a must - the foam ones are fine I find.

*once you find a brand that suits your head shape ofc.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Cool. I'll see what's what on Friday.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:36 pm

Also, if you’re between sizes, my local shop is happy for me to take home and wear it on the sofa for an hour to see if there are any pressure points. I did this with my open face and took it back next day for the larger size, no issues. You can’t wear it on a bike, obvs.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Disastrous wrote:Also, if you’re between sizes, my local shop is happy for me to take home and wear it on the sofa for an hour to see if there are any pressure points. I did this with my open face and took it back next day for the larger size, no issues. You can’t wear it on a bike, obvs.

That’s really good! Unusual I think?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Disastrous @ Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:57 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:
Disastrous wrote:Also, if you’re between sizes, my local shop is happy for me to take home and wear it on the sofa for an hour to see if there are any pressure points. I did this with my open face and took it back next day for the larger size, no issues. You can’t wear it on a bike, obvs.

That’s really good! Unusual I think?

It's these guys, so relatively national I think?

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com

They also will price match anything online if you ask them - I got my Dainese two-piece from them last year and they were brilliant. I found them online from some dodgy italian site about £400 cheaper so went in and explained that I appreciated their advice and letting me try stuff on and that I wanted to buy from them, but that £400 is £400, so could they do anything to meet me in the middle...

They knocked £200 of the price and gave me another £100 of store vouchers which I thought was brilliant and as such I would happily recommend them to everyone. Superb experience.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Certainly seems like a good idea. But the thought of someone sitting on the sofa for an hour wearing a full motorcycle helmet is really ticking me for some reason.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm

I've been to check out some helmets today. I tried on several, and frankly it's astonishing how sizes vary between manufacturers, and shapes too. I am a tiny-beaned sapling as you know, so I was trying Smalls: Shoei almost ripped my ears off going on and sucked my eyeballs out coming off. Other makes, Shark, Skorpion (?), etc had weird protuberances inside, at the back of the head or above the eyes. So folk must have very odd-shaped noggins if these fit them comfortably.

One helmet was a proper Goldilocks though, and I wanted to buy it. Unfortunately stock was low as it imminently to be replaced - the HJC IS-17. The only one they had in the shop in my size was pink, and as much as I'm not super-bothered about colour (just not matt black ffs!), I couldn't stretch to pink. So I came home and rooted around online, seeking plain white, ideally. I found that, of course, but then also found exactly the same helmet in a fetching grey combo for £60 less so I ordered that instead. And I know it will fit because I physically tried one onto my actual head for a while.

I also tried on boots and gloves and looked at Kevlar jeans in the shop, but after a good hour of monopolising a helpful young man talking through options I left the shop empty handed with only a mild pang of guilt. So I came straight home and contributed to the demise of the High Street by buying online.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Pic of helmet please!

I bought some new Kevlar jeans the other day as my old ones were worn and too baggy (sold for £50 on eBay - what’s wrong with people?!). I got some revit ones and they’re amazing - so thick and so we’ll protected plus lovely fit. Too cold to wear them at this time of year for any early start but they’re snug enough and expensive enough to kerb my winter eating.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Helmet is this one:

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Nice!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by S1K @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Does look a bit like it was designed to protect Jimmy Hill.
S1K

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat