Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by GingerNinja @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Bit of helmet care advice - once they get a small dent in them, their integrity drops off a bit (well at least that used to be the thinking - don’t know if it still applies?) One thing a lot of people do is rest their helmets on the bike seats and they do have a habit of jumping off and hitting the floor and taking damage.

Right, dull lecture over. Nice choice on your new lid. Looking forward to seeing what bike you get next.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:14 pm

>ignores S1K<

Thanks!

I was quite impressed by how jeans-y the Kevlar jeans were. One brand they had, Red Route, came fully lined and with armour at the knees and hips, and a connecting zip - and still looked essentially exactly like just jeans. Anyone would think you hadn't just arrived on a motorbike, except you'd be carrying a crash helmet.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Yeah you’d never guess mine wear bike specific ones. I’d happily wear them as normals as they’re so nice, but they’re a little too heavy/robust.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by minimoog @ Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I’d happily wear them as normals as they’re so nice, but they’re a little too heavy/robust.

That's as nothing to the selvedge boys.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 pm

My helmet arrived yesterday, together with some boots that I'd also ordered and forgot to mention. The helmet is actually really nice and looks like it should have cost a fortune.

You'll laugh at me (you bikers) for my boots, but I wanted the safest things I could get* and also waterproof. And something that I could still use whatever sort of bike I eventually end up getting. They're RST Paragon 2s. They look like a spaceman's wellies, but they're surprisingly dead comfy and snug:

I feel like I'm almost ready to rumble now, but I still need gloves. I've been looking at RST Blades and Spidi Voyagers, as well as some GoreTex Richa numbers.

As usual I've got no real idea what I'm doing, so will just throw my credit card at someone and hope I don't have to find out I bought the wrong things by falling off onto my frail wrists.

I will say this though; I've bought my things from sportsbikeshop, and their service is genuinely exemplary. Next working day delivery, for free. Good prices. Extravagant levels of communication and the packaging was brilliant. The helmet arrived in a box in a box in a box. Cor.

* afford
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:15 pm

I bet you've been walking round the house in the boots.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Good buying Dath.

I’ll be interested to hear how Waterproof the boots are. Over the years I’ve found few boots live up to the claim on long rides but haven’t bought new boots for a while so things may have moved on. I find Daytona make great boots, too late now ofc.

Gloves wise, you might need summer and winter gloves as big warm, waterproof gloves are waaay too hot and imprecise for summer use - I’d advise not trying to buy an all year glove as they don’t exist. Rukka make good, properly waterproof gloves.

If you’re buying textiles, goretex pro (sometimes called laminate) is the way forward but horrifically expensive. However, I saw that Oxford are making an affordable set in a magazine the other day. I’ve got the Rukka pro stuff and it’s quite astonishingly waterproof. I once rode for 10 hours in monsoon like European storms for the whole 10 hours and stayed dry while a mate was quite close to suicide in quite expensive Dianese textiles.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Infinity have a cracking deal on my jacket https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/pro ... OQQAvD_BwE

But appreciate it’s probably to big an investment at this stage. It would definitely last you ten years plus though and is truly brilliant for any weather you’ll ever find but I can sense I can’t persuade you.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:46 pm

They've got a cracking deal seemingly because there are literally no sizes left in stock.

I actually bought a Held jacket several weeks ago, pre-empting my whole motorcycling quest.

It's this:

which I admit I bought mostly because I thought it was cool, but it turns out to have a full waterproof membrane, full armour, full length connecting zip and loads of zipable pockets. And it's cool.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:47 pm

If also quite like to pick up an armoured leather jacket, because firstly I like leather jackets and secondly I understand they're pretty good against the abrasion of sliding down the road.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Ooh I’ve got a Held summer jacket, really impressed with it so hope yours is good. Yours is very Barboury, quelle surprise.
Last edited by Tokyo Sexwale on Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 pm

I know, incroyable!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 pm

I like your jacket datho!

Mildly related but a mate was on London at the weekend and bought me these hipster goldtop X Bike Shed gloves for the Triumph:

I love them even though they can’t possibly be as good as my Astars or as warm and waterproof as my winter gloves.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Strawman @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:02 pm

They are good gloves but I didn't want to see them actual size.
Strawman

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Strawman wrote:They are good gloves but I didn't want to see them actual size.

Hmm, I may not have fully mastere the photo uploaded yet, soz!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Very nice! I have some Roland Sands ones similar to those but in black.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by moleamol @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:37 pm

Did Donald Trump return those gloves because the fingers were too short Dis?
moleamol
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support
CTF Site Moderator & Tech Support

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:28 pm

moleamol wrote:Did Donald Trump return those gloves because the fingers were too short Dis?

They’re completely normal size L you lunatic!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by minimoog @ Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:53 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Image

Love this and want despite no intention of riding a bike.
minimoog

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello again!

I've just remembered it's the first session of my big bike DAS tomorrow. I'm properly looking forward to it, especially as I haven't been on a bike at all for the last few weeks after doing my CBT. I hope I remember how it all works!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Disastrous wrote:I like your jacket datho!

Mildly related but a mate was on London at the weekend and bought me these hipster goldtop X Bike Shed gloves for the Triumph:

I love them even though they can’t possibly be as good as my Astars or as warm and waterproof as my winter gloves.

Ooh. I bought some gloves as well. They are AlpineStars ones, and they are reputedly waterproof, and they are warm. Sort of a three-season glove, I suppose. And they are brown, which I like because I'm homespun and artisanally waxed, as you know:

Wow! What a colossal pic!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:58 pm

That was an excellent day today. First day of the module 1 DAS, which meant a lot more in depth handling and manoeuvring practice on Honda CG125s, going through all the disciplines required in the Mod 1 test, before a much lengthier road ride than I've had before.

Slalom, figure of eight, u-turn all then repeated on the BIG BIKES, which in this case were 650cc ER6Ns like this -

Much easier to ride and control for slow riding than the 125s I thought, but stupidly heavy for the manual handling bit if you didn't get it exactly upright on the tyres.

Unlike the CBT when you'll remember I got utterly soaked because it pissed down incessantly, today I got soaked with sweat instead because it was 20 degrees and glorious Mediterranean skies all day. I wore all my newly-accumulated kit, and sweat my knackers off. However, my helmet stayed nice and comfy, and the built in Top Gun-esque sunvisor was perfect. Big space-welly boots were comfortable too, and my back-of-the-mind niggles that I should have bought half a size bigger disappeared completely when riding, and to my delight that also seems to have broken the boots in just slightly more to make them properly comfy all round.

My gloves were ridiculous though, and my hands were sweating like anything. Although the two lads I was on the course with both commented how much they liked my gloves - so go figure. I will definitely have to get some lighter gloves though, for when I don't need waterproof. Like today. And my jacket was a bit too warm as well. Frankly, I was boiling. I was quite envious of one of the blokes who was riding in a Kevlar-lined flannel shirt. He looked like he was staying cooler, although he was wise to not fall off, I suppose.

Anyway, a great day. I genuinely could have happily done a couple more hours riding on the big bike, and am looking forward like crazy to doing some road stuff on that in a few days. I feel pretty confident about all the low speed tricksy stuff, even the emergency stop and the avoidance manoeuvre.

Everything just clicked once I forced myself to follow the instructors advice and look where I was going rather than look at what I was doing. Suddenly then you relax and find you can just merrily actually ride through the slalom or whatever without thinking about it, instead of super-concentrating on balancing the throttle with the feathered clutch and a dab of rear brake.

Funniest part of the day was discovering as I was belting along on the 125 at 50mph, that I had no throttle left to go and actually had it against the stop. Useless thing!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Brilliant, sounds like a superb day all round and I vividly remember getting a taste of the 600 and immediately feeling it was more 'me sized' and easy to ride!

Glad also that you now hate 125s!
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 pm

Great stuff. It really makes you realise how crap 125s are doesn’t it?
Don’t worry too much about the gloves, they’d feel different at 70mph and it’s rare you spend a day at low speed on a bike slaloming around!
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:03 pm

Day 2 of DAS today, and genuinely a brilliant day. Started straight off with some brief manoeuvres on the ER6N again, before swapping to a Yamaha MT-07 for lots of road riding. Lots of road riding. And then as before; controlled stop, emergency stop and avoidance on a quiet stretch of road - on the 07. Really enjoyed riding this, thus -

What was really nice this time was that on the road riding, I was able to enjoy the ride, without over-thinking about working the controls smoothly or worrying that if we came to a roundabout I wouldn't be able to find first quickly enough, or anything. All of that seemed to have gone away, left with just enjoying riding.

The day started off pretty rainy, unfortunately, but that cleared up into patchy sunshine - so the road conditions got better as my confidence simultaneously improved. I felt very happy and comfortable on the bike, but I couldn't say whether that was because it's an easier bike to ride or because things were clicking a bit more. I have to be careful not to just repeat myself here and keep saying how much I enjoyed myself, but I really did.

The bigger bike allows you to command space on the road more effectively and gives you the opportunity to get out of awkward situations smartly. As we did several chunks of higher-speed DC stuff today, I was initially a bit surprised by how much the air at 60 plus pushes you in the chest, but only initially. Lots of elements seemed to have become intuitive and straightforward today, that I was previously having to really think about to accomplish.

One more day's training to go (next week) before the Mod 1 test. Even though I did make a couple of annoying mistakes here and there today (failed to avoid the cone during the avoidance the first time, forex) I feel pretty confident proceeding. The slalom and figure of eight and u turn are now a piece of piss. Controlled stop is so straightforward I think even my daughter could do one, and emergency stop is no bother either. Although the instructor did mildly rebuke me for stopping too quickly on one attempt. Manual handling on this bike was fine too - although again whether that's the bike itself being lighter, or me balancing things more effectively, I can't be certain.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:33 pm

I’m glad to hear it’s all going well and you’re enjoying it, I’m genuinely excited for you.

What the devil is that thing hooping from bar end to bar end for though?? Ever seen that before, is it the extended version of the lever guard racers use??
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:51 pm

I presume so, it doesn't have any other function I could see.

Also, I'm well pleased with all my piecemeal kit today. Held jacket kept me warm and dry (but I need a snood or buff or w'ev, to keep the back of my neck warm), A-stars gloves were perfect, and my boots are lovely!

Oilskin jeans were warm enough too, mostly.

And; there was a lad there today doing his CBT who had his sixteenth birthday yesterday. He's going to be the coolest boy in the playground with his little 50.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:07 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I’m glad to hear it’s all going well and you’re enjoying it, I’m genuinely excited for you.

What the devil is that thing hooping from bar end to bar end for though?? Ever seen that before, is it the extended version of the lever guard racers use??

I suspect thats some graphical remnant, and not an actual thing.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:52 pm

Hello!

FYI, it was an actual thing on the front of the bars on the Yamaha. Actual, physical, there on the day thing. Shrug!

I've got another day tomorrow, last sesh before the Mod 1 test. Exciting!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by GingerNinja @ Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:08 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Hello!

FYI, it was an actual thing on the front of the bars on the Yamaha. Actual, physical, there on the day thing. Shrug!

I've got another day tomorrow, last sesh before the Mod 1 test. Exciting!

What the actual fcuking shit. Weird, never seen that on any of the pics of it, or in the flesh.
GingerNinja

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat