Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Strawman @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:55 pm

BEADWINDOW !!!
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40212
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:06 pm

You simply must buy that DaTho.

Please.
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14240
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Disastrous @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Covert suggests you ought to at least maintain OpSec until it’s tucked up in your garage.

Mrs Thorn does NOT have clearance.
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39418
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Dirk @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Disastrous wrote:Covert suggests you ought to at least maintain OpSec until it’s tucked up in your garage.

Mrs Thorn does NOT have clearance.

Plus, once you have it she won't be able to see it anyway
User avatar
Dirk
 
Posts: 30907
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:03 pm
Highscores: 5

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by minimoog @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:25 pm

Dirk wrote:
Disastrous wrote:Covert suggests you ought to at least maintain OpSec until it’s tucked up in your garage.

Mrs Thorn does NOT have clearance.

Plus, once you have it she won't be able to see it anyway


On the road too. He'll be motating about like the Hair Bear Bunch.
User avatar
minimoog
 
Posts: 9759
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:03 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm

I do like but beg that you test ride it first. It's a flat twin which won't be a particularly fast engine.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49618
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I do like but beg that you test ride it first. It's a flat twin which won't be a particularly fast engine.

I'd deffo do more than a quick up-and-down the road before putting money on the table, but I take your point. Certainly it's pretty feeble relative to any sports bike you'd be used to, but it's there or thereabouts in comparison to ER6, MT07, SV650, Ninja 650; which is certainly quick enough for where I'm at at the moment, and should give potential for me as I build confidence. And it's torquey and light too. Properly light. Which puts the bald numbers at about 3.5 to 60 in competent hands.

I confess I'm pretty keen, but I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm on the DL until I've at least considered other stuff.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:38 pm

Bodhi wrote:You simply must buy that DaTho.

Please.

Are you in the UK at the mo? Yesterday evening I saw a black AMG steaming through the double mini roundabout by the Factory Shop (I won't say where, but you know) and presumed it was you.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Bodhi @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Bodhi wrote:You simply must buy that DaTho.

Please.

Are you in the UK at the mo? Yesterday evening I saw a black AMG steaming through the double mini roundabout by the Factory Shop (I won't say where, but you know) and presumed it was you.


I am here, but only for a couple of days. It wasn't me steaming around like a hooligan as my car was being serviced.

Please tell me when you've bought your bike - I have a 1951 BSA Bantam here at the moment and I've been hooning around the garden on it and of course now I want a bike fo' reals.
User avatar
Bodhi
 
Posts: 14240
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Okey pokey.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by S1K @ Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 pm

Bodhi wrote:It wasn't me steaming around like a hooligan as my car was being serviced.

Probs your mechanic then.
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6788
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by GingerNinja @ Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:50 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I do like but beg that you test ride it first. It's a flat twin which won't be a particularly fast engine.

I'd deffo do more than a quick up-and-down the road before putting money on the table, but I take your point. Certainly it's pretty feeble relative to any sports bike you'd be used to, but it's there or thereabouts in comparison to ER6, MT07, SV650, Ninja 650; which is certainly quick enough for where I'm at at the moment, and should give potential for me as I build confidence. And it's torquey and light too. Properly light. Which puts the bald numbers at about 3.5 to 60 in competent hands.

I confess I'm pretty keen, but I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm on the DL until I've at least considered other stuff.


Flat twin? Oh Tokes. Oh no.

Anyway, yes not a bad option for your first proper bike but I would deffo have a go on the MT07, or the XSR 700 (same bike, different dress). Those generally are regarded as incredible machines fo the price and great motorbikes generally and most of the journos love the engine in them.

Good luck - I’m well jel that you get to do all this cool new biking stuff for the first time.
User avatar
GingerNinja
 
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:02 pm
Location: London

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Parallel!
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49618
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:54 pm

GingerNinja wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I do like but beg that you test ride it first. It's a flat twin which won't be a particularly fast engine.

I'd deffo do more than a quick up-and-down the road before putting money on the table, but I take your point. Certainly it's pretty feeble relative to any sports bike you'd be used to, but it's there or thereabouts in comparison to ER6, MT07, SV650, Ninja 650; which is certainly quick enough for where I'm at at the moment, and should give potential for me as I build confidence. And it's torquey and light too. Properly light. Which puts the bald numbers at about 3.5 to 60 in competent hands.

I confess I'm pretty keen, but I'm trying to keep my enthusiasm on the DL until I've at least considered other stuff.


Flat twin? Oh Tokes. Oh no.

Anyway, yes not a bad option for your first proper bike but I would deffo have a go on the MT07, or the XSR 700 (same bike, different dress). Those generally are regarded as incredible machines fo the price and great motorbikes generally and most of the journos love the engine in them.

Good luck - I’m well jel that you get to do all this cool new biking stuff for the first time.
I did a lot if my learning on, and took my test(s) on, an MT-07. I liked it plenty, and there plenty of go further round the throttle than is mostly using.

But the Kawasaki just looks ace.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:43 pm

I went back again today and had a proper go on the Z650, and I think I've crossed it off my list now. It is a piece of piss to ride, a cinch; nimble and light and can U-turn on a sixpence if(when) you get lost having a test ride around Colchester. The controls are clicky and light and positive - but that might just be because it had about 700 miles on it. It was like Duplo.

But it was just dull. Winding on throttle made it go faster, yes, and with a meaty, farty braaaapp!. But there was no zing. No excitement. I think before I was seduced my the easy newness of it, but already I was bored today and I only rode it for about 20 minutes. And did I mention I got lost? With the fuel gauge flashing on the last bar. Which was as much excitement as I found.

So now I'm waiting for the man to email me his numbers on a Daytona 675 they had there, in a beautiful strong red. Oh, wait. Like this:

Image

But I've still got other irons in the fire to play with before I spend anything.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Oh. And Little Miss Mischief came with me :

Image
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Daytona a great choice!

Do it!!!
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39418
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Disastrous wrote:Daytona a great choice!

Do it!!!

Agreed, I fcuking love them. A mate of mine had one and it was fantastic.
User avatar
Tokyo Sexwale
 
Posts: 49618
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Andy T Archer @ Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:07 am

675 is ace. I had a black one with gold wheels. Which is obviously better than a red one but beggars cant be choosers
It was brilliant to ride, sounded superb, handled like a thing that handles well and looks like its doing 100 just sitting on the drive.

0-12 points on the licence could be a very short amount of time though. It just wants you to go faster all the time

Also, the only bike I have had that I haven't fallen off.
User avatar
Andy T Archer
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Just one post away from acceptance

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Andy T Archer @ Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:10 am

Also also that is the model year to have. Post 2012 or something they dispensed with the underseat exhaust and went with a low hanging thing which (IMHO) ruined the looks.
User avatar
Andy T Archer
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 pm
Location: Just one post away from acceptance

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:42 pm

Hmm. Who here has bought a motorbike sight unseen? I might be about to.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Aesgarth @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:47 pm

I haven't but i did drive 185 miles to get mine, based on an ebay listing, I'd agreed the price beforehand and realistically the only way I would not have bought it is if it had been an absolute dog. Didn't test ride it as I hadn't passed my test.
Aesgarth
 
Posts: 4553
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:19 pm
Location: http://www.aesgarth.co.uk/uploader/
Highscores: 4

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 pm

Never mind. I've just bought it.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:31 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Never mind. I've just bought it.


I bought all 4 of my Vespas sight unseen.
And a Suzuki SJ
And a G-Wagen

What's the worst that can happen?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person
 
Posts: 13169
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Audi can fvck off

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:32 pm

Exactly.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Strawman @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Image
User avatar
Strawman
 
Posts: 40212
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:50 pm
Location: insignificant next to the power of the force

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by S1K @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 pm

The Triumph?
User avatar
S1K
 
Posts: 6788
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:37 pm

S1K wrote:The Triumph?
A Triumph.
User avatar
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop
 
Posts: 13271
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:24 am

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Yay Dates!

Excited for you
User avatar
thekungfury
 
Posts: 35863
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 pm
Highscores: 1

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:05 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
S1K wrote:The Triumph?
A Triumph.



Deets at once please!!!
User avatar
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!
 
Posts: 39418
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:58 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

yt
  Enable youtube titles