Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:49 am

I shall go on my bike again today. The transformation will proceed as planned!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:28 am

Oh, that was ace!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:12 pm

Question for experienced motorcyclists, please: how does it work for parking motorbikes? Obv if you were to park in a pay and display, you can't dispatch your ticket on the dash. So what can you do? Can you park wherever you want?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by thekungfury @ Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:58 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:stuck in the traffic.

You weren’t stuck in traffic. You were traffic.

No longer being traffic must be an excellent feeling
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:10 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Question for experienced motorcyclists, please: how does it work for parking motorbikes? Obv if you were to park in a pay and display, you can't dispatch your ticket on the dash. So what can you do? Can you park wherever you want?

I think so. I've always worked on the assumption that motorcycle spaces in pay and display car parks were free to use. Not that I do so very often, at work I have plenty parking space that I can use for whatever vehicle(s) I'm using (or put the bike inside if I've made the mistake of using it on a wet day) and when I'm out on the bike for the sake of it I tend not to park anywhere. And at home it lives in the shed.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 pm

There are normally allocated bike bays in car parks which are free. I think if you take a car space it’s chargeable which is fair enough.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:44 pm

Excellent, thanks.

Even better, it turns out that hospital parking is free for bikes - as long as no cars have panicsqueezed themselves into the designated bike spaces.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:59 pm

Well. I've now been a motorcyclist for a whole week, and here are my findings:

Firstly and most importantly, it is brilliant. It is brilliant fun and as an experience riding a motorbike is thrilling and exhilarating. Filtering is my new absolute best thing, and feels like having accessed cheat mode for real life. I rode about a bit last weekend, and this week I have commuted three days out of five on the bike. My journey time has been absolutely cleavered and the usual horrible prospect of standing or first-gear-creeping traffic is completely out of the window. Because on the bike there is no traffic. Although as I'm still building my skillset, I consider myself part of the traffic until I'm on the dual carriageway, and only a couple of times have I bombed it straight to the front of the queue at traffic lights.

You will of course remember with a sinking heart that I eventually bought a dull motorbike. However, even something as wholemeal sandwich as a Honda CB has turned out to be fantastically exciting and genuinely as quick as I want to go. It seems that whatever speed I'm riding, in whatever gear, a slight twist of the throttle is enough to put an instant gaping margin of distance between you and anything else. Gap you could nip into? Twist, done. Overtake? Twist, done. DC traffic caterpillaring to a standstill? Twist, gone. Like a computer game.

But I'm not a mental, and my learner-filtering is still trepidatious and considerate enough that on a couple of occasions I've pulled aside to let another more enthusiastically-filtery bike go ahead of me. And they were conspicuously grateful, which leads me on to another thing: pretty much every other person riding a bike has nodded acknowledgement as we pass. I have too, obv - I don't leave them head-hanging. But it's like I'm somehow suddenly a member of a special group I've only joined because I've chosen to ride instead of sit in my car. That's ace too.

Other things?

It turns out that riding through thick fog makes you freezing cold and soaking wet.

The front brake, which I don't think I touched once during my lessons other than for the emergency stop, is strong and reassuring and feels really stable and safe.

Looking ahead as much as you need to means that even kamikaze lane-changers and drivers pulling headlong out into traffic are apparent. Everything is much more immediate and unfiltered. If it's a cold day, you're cold. You can smell smells. You feel the momentum of your manoeuvres in your actual body. You can grip onto the bike with your knees and feel genuinely part-of-a-thing.

I'm loving it so far, and I haven't fallen off. I have only even stalled it once, and that was this afternoon trying to creep up my drive to put it away in the garage. Plum.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:54 am

Don't forget your "lifesavers".
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:21 am

Course!
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:25 pm

I’m delighted for you dath, delighted that you love your bike and that you clearly love riding. I remember someone saying to me once that the big secret about biking is that it’s so easy and it’s very true, once you start it all falls into place very quickly. Well done!

I’m a bit baffled about your front brake comment though. The front brake is really the only brake So what were you doing on your lessons?
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Basically in the lessons there was a real over-respect for the front brake taught. Don't grab a handful or you'll inevitably do the bike!

Rubbish, obv. But probably intended to teach learners out of over reliance? We were taught to anticipate stuff and to lose speed early and calmly, rolling off, down through the gearbox and trailing on the rear brake. Which is fine, but in retrospect you're taught to pass the actual test (which is all about measured and smooth), and once you pass is when you start learning properly.

Wev, I'm finding what works for me, and loving it also. As you can tell.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:14 pm

I don’t ride a motorbike but on my pushbikes I rely almost entirely on the front brake. It’s something I didn’t really appreciate until I started riding quite a lot. As a kid you’re afraid of going over the handlebars but now as an adult I’ll lean on it until the rear wheel is almost off the ground.

You can also use the rear brake on a motorbike under hard acceleration Damo, to stop the front end lifting too much. I don’t know whether that’s something you’ll find useful yet.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:14 am

I thought you did ride S1K! You know loads of stuff.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:25 am

I did my CBT once but I’ve never got round to buying a bike. My brother had a a CBR600 and he fell off it (“seeing how fast he could go round a roundabout”, not sure how he thought that would end) and I have a general interest in cars and bikes. Maybe I’ll get one some time. What I’d really like, although it definitely isn’t cool, is a Honda C90. I just love the deceptively simple engineering of it.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:36 am

S1K wrote:
You can also use the rear brake on a motorbike under hard acceleration Damo, to stop the front end lifting too much. I don’t know whether that’s something you’ll find useful yet.

Just roll off the throttle if the front’s lifting, don’t brake and accelerate at the same time.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:33 pm

I went out for a ride today just to go for a ride. It's a fantastic afternoon (you probably already know that) and for me at the moment, any riding is just brilliantly exciting.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:14 am

Glad you're enjoying this
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 am

Monty wrote:Glad you're enjoying this
You probably recognise where that photo is.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Monty @ Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:45 am

Damien Thorn wrote:

I do.
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:40 am

Monty wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:

I do.

Is it Kase's front garden?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:37 pm

I debadged my bike yesterday, removing the cb650 logos that Honda appear to have found from 1998.

It also gets rid of the needless bits of red colour on an otherwise entirely black / grey bike.

It was like this :

Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Oh also, is there such a thing as hands free Bluetooth phone kits for motorcycles? Someone was trying to get hold of me the other day while I was riding, and by the time I saw my phone I had 8 missed calls, 2 texts and two voicemails.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Blue Meanie @ Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:48 pm

You can buy headsets that let you take calls, and talk to other riders you may be with, or a passenger.

Something like this...

https://www.gearbest.com/motorcycle-intercoms/pp_614178.html
Last edited by Blue Meanie on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Meanie

Location: New York State - Kazakhstan - Nigeria - Poland - Middle east, and now Bulgaria!

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:07 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Oh also, is there such a thing as hands free Bluetooth phone kits for motorcycles? Someone was trying to get hold of me the other day while I was riding, and by the time I saw my phone I had 8 missed calls, 2 texts and two voicemails.

Yup, I’ve got a Bluetooth thing integrated into my helmet - means I can take calls but also listen to music and talk to a friend on road trips too. I’ve had one for years now and would feel a bit lost without it. I think you said you’ve bought a helmet but consider Nexx lids or others with integrated BT for the best way of doing it.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:54 pm

I was determined to ride to work yesterday, as I hadn't ridden since the weekend - even though the forecast threatened rain. Sure enough it pissed down on me as I rode home. But guess what? It was still just ace.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I was determined to ride to work yesterday, as I hadn't ridden since the weekend - even though the forecast threatened rain. Sure enough it pissed down on me as I rode home. But guess what? It was still just ace.

I'm pleased you're enjoying this. I HATE riding in the wet. I don't mind me getting wet, I'm just scared of it.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:44 pm

I'm not really phased by riding in the rain. My very first bike day on the CBT was in the chucking rain, ofc.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 pm

I quite enjoy riding in the rain. Decent kit and a big adventure bike helps, I never liked it on a sports bike.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:51 pm

I only have experience of riding a push bike bike in the heavy rain and my worry isn’t falling off it’s being seen by other drivers. Same as fog, dark, low sun.

Is that fear not the same for motorbikes? Reduced visibility in side mirrors would concern me.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat