Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Suzuki TS- seat height 34 inches.

Finally someone has taken my place as the CTF dwarf.

<masterfully strokes his 32 inch inside leg>

Ok. Constructive help- Someone might make lower seats or chop the foam yourself is my only advice.
I'm genuinely amazed that you can barely touch the ground. What inside leg are you? I'm not asking just to take the piss just trying to figure out if some lanky bastard has messed around with it. If he has then all you'd have to look for is a stock rear shock.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by desertweasel @ Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:46 pm

30" trouser or possibly 29" on a bad day so definitely dwarf territory, the rear shock is non-standard so possibly is adding height.

The guy selling it was only a bit taller than me and was climbing on to it using the pegs when on the side stand, it's a bit of a beast.
desertweasel

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:10 pm

desertweasel wrote:

The guy selling it was only a bit taller than me and was climbing on to it using the pegs when on the side stand, it's a bit of a beast.

I have to do that on my bike (R1200GS) and can only get toes down, not flat feet - mainly down to the width of the seat but it's also a big lump.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:26 pm

desertweasel wrote:30" trouser or possibly 29" on a bad day so definitely dwarf territory, the rear shock is non-standard so possibly is adding height.

Somethings not right there. My actual inside leg is 31(I'm a man I'm allowed to add an inch ok?) I used to ride MX and Enduro 250's and 500's and I never had a problem with seat height. I bet he fitted an uprated shock because the fat bastard was bottoming out. This would explain the skyscraper seat height. Fit a standard shock and it'll be lower to start with and softer so will sit lower when you sit on it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 am

e: tl/dr - I'm loving this, still.

For the brave :

Right then. I have now ridden about 800 miles since I got my bike in the middle of February. I know that doesn't seem like very much, but I am riding to work most days and I also find I use the bike for any errands or shopping that's practicable. As you can infer from that, I am just loving everything about riding.

Let's start with the bike. The Honda I ended up getting has turned out to be perfect as a novice big bike. It is the easiest thing in the world to ride, nimble and wieldy, and the 200kg weight just disappears completely once I'm on. I have to paddle about a little to get between my fleet of vehicles on the driveway to put it in and out of the garage, but even that no-speed sweaving never gives me any fear of the balance going or dropping it.

I've taken bits and pieces off the bike now; removed the ghastly retro CB stickers, unbolted the side panniers and frame that carried them, I took off the pillion pegs but then put them back on again when I discovered that Honda's intense weight-saving regime extended to not actually painting the chassis rail behind the fixing points (tw@ts). I've kept the top box on, because it's super-handy for everything from my packed lunch for work and spare clothes if it's raining, to a crate of 18 cans of beer from the shop. I've bought a tail tidy to go on, but haven't had chance to fit it yet, and I intend to get some bar end mirrors at some point. Oh, and I changed the levers to some nifty black anodised / carbon ones (not shorties, full length) in line with my intention of removing as much colour from the bike as I can.

That intention itself came about by accident simply because the bike I've bought is a colour combo of matt black and satin black, with matt black wheels and some subdued grey Honda badging on the tank. Which is why I've already binned the levers, as it came with red ones (ew).

As to actually riding, I'm slowly building experience, obv, but finding that that in turn is bringing a noticeable ramping up in my confidence - as well as competence. There's no element of a ride which gives me any trepidation, so I'm not concerned if the weather is shit or if the traffic is horrendous. In terms of weather, last Sunday I rode up to Nervy's as we'd planned to go out playing on some of his bigger boy's bikes. but sadly the weather didn't want to play ball. It's about 90 miles to his, and I was about 60 miles through before the weather bit me in the arse and pissed down so torrentially that I could barely even see. I had my heated grips wound right up, but even so the combo of cold and wet hands meant that when I stopped for a piss at one point I could neither undo my trousers or even extract myself from wringing wet pants. Awful. And my boots turned out to be the wrong kind of waterproof, as the rain soaking through my trousers ran down inside the boots and meant that I literally poured out an inch of water from each boot into Nerv's sink once I arrived. fcuking horrible. I put plastic bags on my feet under the boots to ride back (N insisted that I use ione if his cars to get home, but I wanted to ride back simply so I'd have my bike available at home to be able to ride to work for the week - which says a lot about home attached I've become to a bike commute. My boots stood on the radiator at Nerv's while we went out for lunch, and then on the radiator at mine until Thursday when they were finally dry enough for me to wear again.

On the positive flipside though, eclipsing the disappointment of not being able to ride out on one of Nerv's big bikes, we went out in the R8 instead and laughed ourselves silly at how desperately the traction control intervened to keep things even remotely tidy on the crumbling rural lanes. I don't know if he's fiddled with the car (he probably has) but it's making about 700hp and the most hilarious unholy racket. Does that sound about right TT? I know you've got one on the radar. It made so much noise in fact that firing it up literally sounded like something expensive had just exploded, due to the huge detonation of noise. He made me drive to the cafe simply so that when we arrived the people who were already there wouldn't think it was him who was the crass bellend with the obnoxious shouty car.

But back to riding. There are definitely strides I can see and feel that I'm making in terms of control finesse-ing, but also areas where I'm still ineptly trying to find some smoothness. I'm still getting to grips with pulling away quickly into a turn, out of a side road onto a busy main road, say. So I have to wait for a sizeable gap to be able to move off smoothly. If I try to lunge quickly for a smaller gap, I end up snatchy and jerky and making the turn into a fifty pence instead of a nice radius. Nothing dangerous or horrible, just sometimes moments when I crossly think to myself that I've made a bit of a dog's breakfast of it. Pulling away straight is fine - perhaps at traffic lights - where it's easy to modulate clutch and throttle for a smart getaway. But I am getting the hang of it, and part of that seems to be growing confidence in tipping the bike in to a turn, and the lean angle that feels perfectly happy even at lower speeds. And my ability to roll on and hold a steady part throttle is coming on in noticeable leaps too, keeping the bike happy and balanced through big roundabouts or town speed corners forex.

Sounds like some heavy negatives there, but it isn't really. Just thinking out loud about where I can see myself getting better, and where I can see that I still need to get better. And I still love filtering through traffic so much. It's hilarious. I'm not a tw@t about it, and limit my relative speed with the traffic and with other road users vehicle positioning ofc, but it is just the best thing ever. The only problem with it is how much it exaggerates the frustration when you have to be in a car in traffic, and you can see the huge swathes of space where on a bike you'd just be gone.

I should stop going on, as this post is already horrifically long. But two things are also happening: I am constantly looking at other bikes with a buyer's eye. I'm looking at Triumph nakeds, and Ducati Monsters, and all sorts of bigger-engine things. I've got absolutely no disappointment with the performance from my Honda though, just an itchy trigger finger when looking at things for sale. My Honda is still easily as quick and responsive as I want it to be and is plenty on my commute even short-shifting through the box at no more than 6 or 7000. On the few occasions when I have wrung it out further it's simply hilarious, werewolfing from a rumbly thrum into a proper fast-motorbike multi-cylinder Stuka of a noise. It also builds speed (or "accelerates") at such a rate it makes me lol out loud and other traffic flies backwards in the mirrors like it's a magic trick. Heaven knows what properly quick bikes feel like!

Second thing is that Nervy is an absolute hero in the background here. Gleefully encouraging me through my baby steps with pretty much daily contact and total delight at how I'm getting on. He was gutted the weather put paid to our plans last week, but they will come to pass in the near future, as soon as the weather makes up its mind for more than two hours in a row. So my trepidation for riding his monster MV or Ducati will have to continue a while.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:10 am

:thumbup: Excellent. The best is yet to come too with the summer looming.

I know it's tricky to get away (with a family, work etc) but one of my favourite things to do on a bike is ride in Europe, especially Southern France and Italy. If you can get even a long weekend away in the summer it is utterly sublime; sun, emptiness, smooth sweeping mountain roads, just beautiful.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote::thumbup: Excellent. The best is yet to come too with the summer looming.

I'm really looking forward to that. Seems preposterous that so far I've only ever ridden during the "off" season, when people tend not to ride because the weather is crap.

Nervy was somewhat taken aback that I was merrily using my bike as actual transport.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:05 pm

I love how enthusiastic you are about this, datho. Speaking as someone who's never so much as ridden pillion, it sounds amazing fun!
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:07 pm

Excellent. Inspirational stuff, so much so that I took the Triumph for a belt round Loch Lomond in the sun today. Still chilly but superb day and great fun.
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:38 pm

What bikes have you got now D? Triumph, Aprilia, still got the Thundercat?

Reminds me what the Aprilia is.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:39 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:What bikes have you got now D? Triumph, Aprilia, still got the Thundercat?

Reminds me what the Aprilia is.

I’ve got no Thundercat as it burned down after it was stolen.

I’ve got the Triumph, and Aprilia RSV Mille and a Herald Classic 250 (raffle prize).
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:51 pm

I remember now.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by span @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:43 pm

CJ+ wrote:I love how enthusiastic you are about this, datho. Speaking as someone who's never so much as ridden pillion, it sounds amazing fun!

Yes, CJ I'm the same! Although I have ridden pillion upwards of once. This is lovely and I never usually read these sort of threads but the enjoyment is palpable and I'm enjoying it vicariously.
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:24 pm

OK. Today is a special day.

This is what I rode to the coffee shop.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:49 pm

Cor blimey

Better try to keep it shiny side up
S1K

Post by Disastrous @ Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Wow! That is impressive! How did you find it?
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:15 pm

I'll write up properly later, but it was ace. You can't see the other bike properly in that picture, which is almost as exciting as the MV, and which I rode back.

It was a Panigale.

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Strawman @ Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:19 pm

I like the NERVY sticker, what is AMG to do with Panigale ?
Strawman

Post by S1K @ Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:21 pm

AMG owned 25% of MV Agusta between 2014 and 2017.
Last edited by S1K on Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S1K

Post by thekungfury @ Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:51 am

I know nothing about bikes but those look very cool and fast.

Q: what’s the deal with bikes and the thing that connects the rear wheel to the bike? (Chain stay in cycling world). Datho’s bike above has one on the right side (both sides?), N’s is on the left. Does it go on the side with the drive or is the drive always on the same side? Speak to me.
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Strawman @ Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:10 am

thekungfury wrote:I know nothing about bikes but those look very cool and fast.

Q: what’s the deal with bikes and the thing that connects the rear wheel to the bike? (Chain stay in cycling world).

Swing arm, depends on which side the gearbox output is on. Can contain a chain or a driveshaft.
Strawman

Post by Monty @ Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:30 pm

That Panni looks the bollocks!!
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by S1K @ Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:02 pm

thekungfury wrote:I know nothing about bikes but those look very cool and fast.

Q: what’s the deal with bikes and the thing that connects the rear wheel to the bike? (Chain stay in cycling world). Datho’s bike above has one on the right side (both sides?), N’s is on the left. Does it go on the side with the drive or is the drive always on the same side? Speak to me.

It’s called a swingarm. Traditionally they’re two sided, in an H or Y shape but a single sided swingarm is lighter, and the swing arm is unstrung mass, and looks better so some sporting bikes have them. They’re hard to make as stiff as a two sided swingarm so need more engineering and sometimes more exotic materials. Notable single sided swingarm bikes are the Honda VFR/RVF and sporting Ducatis.

S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:27 am

I rode one of those RC30's once. I seem to remember they had an 80mph 1st gear.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:34 pm

I'm not going to answer any of the technical stuff, but I am going to say a bit about how brilliant it was to ride those two extraordinary bikes.

The first one, which I rode to the coffee shop (about 30 miles) and then to the pub for chips (about 40 more miles) is an MV Agusta F4 RR Corsasorta. Nervy (for t'were his bikes, ofc) saw Saturday as a massive eventual win after a ten year campaign of ambient bullying to convince me how brilliant bikes were, and I saw it as a hugely exciting opportunity albeit one viewed through a prism massively fogged with trepidation. These are almost-one-of-a-kind super rare supersport bikes, each with comfortably over 200hp, and I had never ridden a sports bike of any size even at all.

So without any kind of ado, we went out. I couldn't flat foot on the MV at a standstill, but just about tiptoe - which made paddling down the gravel drive pretty interesting. And then I couldn't start it, and then I stalled it, and then I pulled away. And within five minutes it was brilliant and any fear was left behind with the dust. It was just like riding a bike: absolutely unlike my own Honda, and yet absolutely the same. A scant few minutes left my bottom feeling comfortable on the huge broad Massey Fergusson-esque seat and all the weight and breadth of the bike had magicked away to leave it feeling wieldy and controllable and tractable and actually fun. I was able to stop over-thinking inputs and just ride it.

And fcuking hell it was fast. Hilariously, loloutloud fast. A seemingly infinite reserve of acceleration from any speed and in any gear. I grinned until my cheeks hurt. I honked with laughter as overtakes happened as I decided to do them. "I could overta..." Done! Ridiculous. Whole streams of traffic gone like a magic trick, acceleration that just never ended cannonballing me past everything in any available space, and then hauled instantly down to near-walking pace by the massive floating front discs. My perineum was like a rollercoaster, alternating between smashing my arse up against the back rest and pancaking my balls up against the tank. Truly a mind-altering experience.

And each time we stopped and got off, an enthusiastic crowd assembled. Everyone was delighted to look at the bikes. Everyone wanted to chat. Even though moments earlier I had been sonically destroying their peace and their crockery with hellishly obnoxious exhaust noise - and the Panigale was much louder.

In fact the Panigale was so furiously loud that I felt mildly ashamed riding it. It hid the noise of the MV entirely, silencing what had otherwise been a brutal assault on birdsong and Saturday afternoon. I had just under an hour's ride on the Ducati, and it was enough to discover that for all its incredible plusses, it was horrible on my wrists, impossible to ride at less than 30 miles an hour, stall-y, jerky, hot and blessed with evil controls where the clutch had literally three microns of play between fully in and fully out, and the brake needed more lever movement than my actual adult hands could accommodate. It was brilliant, obv. But I liked the MV a whole order of magnitude more.

I didn't fall off. I didn't crash ("Don't worry if you crash", said Nerv, "it won't lead to any awkward conversations."

"Because you'll be dead".

What a day. What a lovely day.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Sounds like an ace day out.
S1K

Post by Pigeon @ Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:24 pm

Ah, the joys of having the window set to just that particular size...

dead.jpg
dead.jpg (52.84 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Frik @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:44 pm

S1K wrote:...a single sided swingarm is lighter...

No; unless:
S1K wrote:... more exotic materials...
Frik

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:14 pm

A single sided swingarm makes it easier to change the wheel. Which would be really useful if motorbikes carried spare wheels.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 am

Pigeon wrote:A single sided swingarm makes it easier to change the wheel. Which would be really useful if motorbikes carried spare wheels.

Pah, Vespas have had SSS forever AND they carry spare tyres.

AND a hook for your groceries.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat