Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by NNK @ Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:00 pm

Turntable wrote:
Disastrous wrote:[
What was it??

This thing

http://www.chew-the-fat.org.uk/forum/vi ... a#p1120776

Oh a Dorsoduro, what did you hate about it ?
I enjoyed my Duc Hypermotard but not as much as a smaller supermotard, but the hyper was far better at the 160km journey I had a bike for.
The Dorso has never excited me enough lookswise to have it on a shortlist .
NNK

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:04 am

NNK wrote:Me too

1089450317.jpg
NNK, do a thread about this please.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:43 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Pain in the arse for you TT! Even if you hated the bike, having it stolen is a bastard.

Admittedly, like everyone else I'm startled that the bike you loved, you hated. But wev. What will you get to replace it with? Perhaps something with some security features?

I hated it because everything in the world went wrong with it.
Electrical shit, gearbox shit, sensor shit plus to cap it off, the lacquer over the carbon was not waterproof so it all knackered up and looked shit.
Plus it never quite ran correctly from about 2 weeks in.
Admittedly leaving it in the rain at a station carpark was responsible for most of that but the BMW GS and the Fireblade coped with that absolutely fine.
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:51 am

Turntable wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Pain in the arse for you TT! Even if you hated the bike, having it stolen is a bastard.

Admittedly, like everyone else I'm startled that the bike you loved, you hated. But wev. What will you get to replace it with? Perhaps something with some security features?

Electrical shit, gearbox shit, sensor shit plus to cap it off, the lacquer over the carbon was not waterproof so it all knackered up and looked shit.
Admittedly leaving it in the rain at a station carpark was responsible for most of that but the BMW GS and the Fireblade coped with that absolutely fine.

Probably should have bought either the MT07 or XSR700 as I suggested in your original thread then, eh?

Everyone loves a smug cnut.
GingerNinja

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:49 pm

I read that as snug.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:00 pm

It would make a good Tinder bio
thekungfury

Highscores: 1

Post by Turntable @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:07 pm

GingerNinja wrote:[Probably should have bought either the MT07 or XSR700 as I suggested in your original thread then, eh?

In all honesty if I was considering either of those, I would just buy a scooter.
Plus when I looked at the MT07 it was next to an MT10 which looked the absolute nuts and meant I absolutely could not buy the 07
Turntable

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:01 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:I read that as snug.

So true.
GingerNinja

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:28 pm

Turntable wrote:
GingerNinja wrote:[Probably should have bought either the MT07 or XSR700 as I suggested in your original thread then, eh?

In all honesty if I was considering either of those, I would just buy a scooter.
Plus when I looked at the MT07 it was next to an MT10 which looked the absolute nuts and meant I absolutely could not buy the 07
What about the XSR900 ? Which is the same as the MT-09, but doesn't look like a Transformer.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by NNK @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Turntable wrote:

Oh, that doesnt paint a great experience so under stand your hate.
I've never made a bike live outside so have no idea of the niggles it produces.
I did once look at a used Dorso in a dealer over here and the carbon had gone a bit funny, they told me it was some reaction to the polish they used and was being replaced - lies by the sound of it.
NNK

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Turntable wrote:

What about the XSR900 ? Which is the same as the MT-09, but doesn't look like a Transformer.

Don’t be ridiculous. He’s never going to choose a universally praised sensible choice that adheres to all his criteria. He’d much rather get something entirely inappropriate and moan about it later.
Last edited by GingerNinja on Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GingerNinja

Post by Turntable @ Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:43 am

GingerNinja wrote:Don’t be ridiculous. He’s never going to choose a universally praised sensible choice that adheres to all his criteria. He’d much rather get something entirely inappropriate and moan about it later.

:biglaugh: I read that and momentarily thought "Woah, steady on. I bought....." and then realised that sums me up exactly.
Turntable

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:58 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I seriously need to update this thread after this weekend. Another, as always, terrific couple of days at Casa Nervosa.

Well, another week has passed and I still haven't updated, so here it is:

I was lucky enough to see Nerv again last weekend, and to get another chance to play with his lovely bikes. When I arrived the MV was already out ready for me, because I hadn't enjoyed the Panigale as much last time we rode - so MV it was. And we managed to cram well over a hundred miles of riding into the afternoon, from brimming the tank at the start right through to fuel warning lights all round at the end. And we got home with about half an hour to spare before it comprehensively pissed down. So I'm calling that 100% win.

Lots has happened since I rode the MV before - I've been riding my own bike quite a lot, and felt like I was really starting to get the hang of things. But also, I'd managed to drop my bike on the floor like an incompetent bell. So a mixed bag of progress, that left me with some trepidation (again) at the idea of caning a 200hp superbike around unfamiliar roads. But luckily I had nothing to fear as I slotted straight back into the groove on the MV and felt comfortable right from the off.

Until the moment when I discovered what happens when a 200hp superbike loses grip under hard acceleration on a sweeping corner. And what happens is that a poo I didn't know I needed stridently makes itself known. I wasn't riding beyond my skills (although clearly I actually was), but an invisible greasy patch of tarmac meant that suddenly the rear of the bike stepped completely sideways and the revs flared right up in a blare of slip. All in one split second I ruined my pants and thought "oh, I'm crashing this now" and even as I was thinking those things the bike squared itself up and grabbed a handful of firm grip on the tarmac and the moment was passed. But when we stopped a few moments later for old man's emergency wees, and told Nervy what had happened he was aghast. We carried on, obv, until we stopped for an all-day breakfast to calm down.But after eating the wind had picked up (meterologically, not butt-wise), which made the front of the MV feel vague and wandery. And ominous black clouds gathering over the horizon suggested we turn tail and head back to The Nerve Centre.

All of which added up to mean that I stayed on the MV all day, and didn't try the other bike. Apparently the MV is a horribly unforgiving and unflattering bike to ride, and none of N's other friends will ride it. I think I am fortified by my lack of experience, and just presume that any issues are my own rather than the bikes, so I'm happy to rattle around on it fifty-pencing corners and unable to find neutral. Ever. But good grief it's a phenomenal thing. Utterly joyous in its acceleration, its pure speed, its cornering (apart from the wandering windiness and fifty pences) and in its Terminator-esque ability to utterly murder your wrists. It absolutely will not stop until you're completely T-Rexed and flidding hopelessly.

But Ilove riding it. And it looks fantastic.

The next day I went out on The Little Blue Bike, which is a heavily customised ratbike variant of an old BMW R80. N was back on the other bike, as we rode out to the coast to visit the tank museum. It took me the whole morning to feel even slightly at home on the BMW. It has carbs, it has no mirrors at all. It sounds like someone has dropped an apocalypse on your head, and I had scant confidence in the roadholding of the square-shouldered retro-treaded Fuckstones. So I wasn't about to start leaning on it. Until after a few hours suddenly it clicked and I realised that it actually wasn't a shit old vintage ruin - in fact it was a colossally barrel-chested thumper that roared and spluttered nd actually gripped. And after that moment I could chuck it into everything with something approaching confidence. Even though it sounds like a Spitfire on full dogfight attack, it's actually all out of ideas at about 80, so even when you feel like you're about to meet the demise of a distinguished British gent you're actually nowhere near the limits of the retro-comedy tyres.

There was another moment of heart-stopping terror during the day though, as we parked uo in the beautiful new carpark at the tank museum. Jumped off the bikes, chatting and squinting around in the blazing seaside sunshine, and suddenly Nervy's bike (the other bike) just FELL OVER. The side stand had impaled itself into the sun-melted tarmac as though it wasn't there. But somehow we both instinctively leaped and caught the bike, so between us we stopped anything actually hitting the deck. New pants please!

After the tank museum, and then again after a coffee stop, N wanted me to swap to the other bike, but I confess I was too chicken. Having done a small accidental shit when I almost binned the MV, and then barely averting disaster on the other bike, I decided I was happier to just get properly to grips with the little BMW. Maybe next time I'll try the other bike.

All told, I adored both the bikes I rode. Utterly, utterly different in character and ability (like me and N, haha!) but both tremendously fun. And reinforcing my suspicion that I shouldn't be looking at a sports bike for my own next one.

I'll edit in a photo of the other bike from my phone in a minute. It's something pretty nice.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:03 pm

Thus:

Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Haha, that’s brilliant. Nervy is a fcuking monster when it comes to buying. Those are about £35k from memory and I suspect it’s a drop in the ocean of his stable.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:15 pm

Oh, and this afternoon I went too the local Kawasaki / Moto Guzzi dealer with my daughter, to have a sniff around.

I very like the Kwak Z900RS.

And in their used selection they also had Yamaha XSR700 and 900. They look great (get one TT!), but not as great as the Z900, frankly.

The Moto Guzzi v7 looks well tiny btw.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:16 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Haha, that’s brilliant. Nervy is a fcuking monster when it comes to buying. Those are about £35k from memory and I suspect it’s a drop in the ocean of his stable.
That's right. He bought it over the phone last time I was there.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:28 pm

That’s the 221bhp V4R right? Actually though, it looks like he’s got the Akrapovic exhaust on it, so 234bhp.

That’s got to be faster than a Kawasaki H2 I’d think.
S1K

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Haha, that’s brilliant. Nervy is a fcuking monster when it comes to buying. Those are about £35k from memory and I suspect it’s a drop in the ocean of his stable.
That's right. He bought it over the phone last time I was there.

:hehe: Animal.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by DI Burnside @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:39 pm

Damp*, I’m pretty certain you could write about literally any subject and I would enjoy reading your words.

* that’s fcuking staying !
DI Burnside

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:36 pm

S1K wrote:That’s the 221bhp V4R right? Actually though, it looks like he’s got the Akrapovic exhaust on it, so 234bhp.

That’s got to be faster than a Kawasaki H2 I’d think.
Don't know about the H2, but this is insanely fast. More than once he got so far ahead of me when I was on the MV that he had to pull over and wait.

And I don't think I was hanging about.

It's also worth reiterating that all of Nervy's things are incredibly loud. I felt sheepish each time I fired up the MV and literally shattered the calm (and probably valuables) of bystanders. And trickling through villages and town centres almost at idle, you could feel the actual frowns beaming at you off people. So loud.

And all of the time I could hear the Ducati over the top of the noise coming from my bike. Astonishing volume.

e: on the off chance anyone reading this thinks that 230plus hp doesn't sound all that much, remember these are 200 kilo motorbikes.

That's like having 1500hp in your Fiesta ST.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:14 pm

Yeah, it’s got a little bit more power than my car and my car (plus me) weighs almost exactly five times as much as the bike plus a rider, and my car is quite nippy. It must be like sitting on a missile.

Then consider the nutcases who turbocharge bikes like that or tune their H2’s to 400 or 500 bhp. Can you imagine?
S1K

Post by Monty @ Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:57 pm

I always used to carry one of these (similar) with me to prevent the side stand sinking in...

bike-it_bike-stand-pad_black.jpg
bike-it_bike-stand-pad_black.jpg (34.79 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Monty

Location: Lost my shape Trying to act casual! Can't stop, I might end up in the hospital

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:01 am

A stamped flat drinks can works well too.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:17 am

We did have those little coasters with us but hasn't thought it necessary when we parked. Soon changed that opinion.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:10 am

That sounds amazing DaTho. I know how terrifying an unexpected sideways moment can be.. I did it at relatively low speed on my little 600 not long after I passed my test. You described the feeling vey well.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:13 am

I had another go videoing with the fauxPro yesterday. Different angle (but still not very well framed, straightface) and also with a separate microphone that I got off eBay for a few quid. It's not an exciting video, but it's sort of proof of concept. It was a beautiful afternoon and the sun had come out scorchingly after a sudden downpour, so the sky looks ace.

Technically was a bit of an arse, because there's no aux-in on the camera, so the microphone plugs into my phone as a digital audio recorder. Which means I had to sync the audio with the video in post. Also, even though I tucked the microphone down under the subframe, there's still pretty terrible wind noise. And also also, as a by-product of the cheapness of the faux (probably), I've got a terrible problem with shutter roll on the image when the bike gets a bit quicker. It doesn't help that these are country lanes which don't have the best surfacing. That might also be because it was recorded at 24fps 4k, so I might try a higher fps another time.

And one final thing: the wide angle of the image coupled with the raw-sounding audio makes it seem like I was going really quickly when I wasn't. Nothing like even the speed limit.

Original video page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIp17jdzD4
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:55 pm

I used my horn on someone this morning, for the first time. An oblivious woman decided to change lanes leading up to a roundabout, seemingly unaware that ok was in the lane next to her. It took me a second to find the horn button because I haven't had to before.

Luckily I was well aware of what she was doing, and her tremulous lane positioning have away her intention ahead of her movement across. But still.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:17 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:I used my horn on someone this morning, for the first time.

An extraordinary admission from someone of your age.
manfromdelmonte

Post by GingerNinja @ Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:00 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I used my horn on someone this morning, for the first time. An oblivious woman decided to change lanes leading up to a roundabout, seemingly unaware that ok was in the lane next to her. It took me a second to find the horn button because I haven't had to before.

Luckily I was well aware of what she was doing, and her tremulous lane positioning have away her intention ahead of her movement across. But still.

I’ve generally found the horn is a complete waste of time on a bike. They’re not loud and the time spent using it would be better spent avoiding the idiot/situation that you think needs it’s use. Once safe, follow up with either some form of physical gesture, or a kick/slap to part of the offending vehicle. And lots of in-helmet swearing, obvs.
GingerNinja

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat