Tell me about motorbikes

Two wheels good.

Re: Tell me about motorbikes

Post by span @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:30 am

Damien Thorn wrote:In common with those folk who get their spine smashed to smithereens and then win the London Marathon six months later, I am experiencing a somewhat miraculous recovery, having managed a very respectable poo already this morning.

In your face, medical science!

Haha, terrific news!!
span

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:08 pm

Gah! Back to hospital.

The broken bits of clavicle have moved around and now out differently than before. NHS direct advised that I needed an ambulance, but then the ambulance service phoned and said I couldn't have an ambulance for six to nine hours. But after a chat they decreed that I needed to present at a&e myself anyway. Now.

See you later.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Auslander @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:27 pm

Last edited by Auslander on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auslander

Post by S1K @ Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Gah! Back to hospital.

The broken bits of clavicle have moved around and now out differently than before. NHS direct advised that I needed an ambulance, but then the ambulance service phoned and said I couldn't have an ambulance for six to nine hours. But after a chat they decreed that I needed to present at a&e myself anyway. Now.

See you later.

Oh dear

Best of luck
S1K

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:13 am

See you later.

What were you doing to move the bits about?
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:22 am

See you later.

Bugger. Have fun.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:26 am

Oh noes! Still, more drugs!
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:43 am

Well. This is very embarrassing. The a&e x-ray apparently shows the pieces in exactly the same position as they were originally, so seemingly of they moved they didn't move very far.

I've turned into one of those ghastly people sending unnecessary medical care because they think their problem is just so important.

Wasted wife's time driving me there (although she brought her wordsearch book), wasted the doctor's time checking me over (although I liked him very much, he was ace), and wasted the radiographer's time (although she did ask me when my operation was to fix it).

Bit fed up now.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by HappyGoLucky @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:57 am

Damien Thorn wrote:Well. This is very embarrassing. The a&e x-ray apparently shows the pieces in exactly the same position as they were originally, so seemingly of they moved they didn't move very far.

Sure they're not just showing you the old ones to mess with your head?

Damien Thorn wrote:I've turned into one of those ghastly people sending unnecessary medical care because they think their problem is just so important.

You're becoming like one of them foreigners coming over here taking up all our hospital beds! BrEssex Now!
HappyGoLucky

Highscores: 3

Post by thekungfury @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:50 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I've turned into one of those ghastly people sending unnecessary medical care because they think their problem is just so important.

Wasted wife's time driving me there (although she brought her wordsearch book), wasted the doctor's time checking me over (although I liked him very much, he was ace), and wasted the radiographer's time (although she did ask me when my operation was to fix it).

Bit fed up now.

I had the same thing this summer in A&E. I was there for 7hrs in all of which 2hrs were me sat on a bed in a ward waiting for blood test results.

I asked if I should go and wait in the waiting room so that the bed could be used for someone else but they insisted I stay there.
thekungfury

Post by Turntable @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:57 am

Damien Thorn wrote:(although she brought her wordsearch book),

Are you telling this story from 1980?

Ill tell you a minorly amusing broken bone story to cheer you up.
My daughter broke her ankle last week, quite severely.
She was sitting on her crossed legs in assembly because she 'really likes that feeling of numbness followed by pins and needles afterwards'
After she got up her feet was soo numb she tried to walk and instead walked on the side of her foot which bent underneath her. Because she felt no pain she put all her weight on it, heard a massive crunch and fell over.
It still didn't hurt but was terrible swollen so she walked to matrons and as the blood started flowing it got more and more painful until she couldn't actually walk.
Anyway,. how stupid?
Turntable

Highscores: 7

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:10 am

That has cheered me up, because it's so utterly ridiculous, even though I feel terribly sorry for her.

I already feel sorry for your children because, you know, their dad, but now even moreso.

Is ankle one of those bad things to break with lots of pain and lengthy healing, or not so much? I always believed that collar bone was one of the walk-in-the-park fractures, but fcuk me this is properly awkward.

Maybe that's just because of all the ribs as well, I don't know. I've never been so afraid in my life of a simple tickly cough.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:31 pm

Ankles can be a nasty break, like wrists, because there’s quite a bit going on in an ankle. My cousin fcuked her ankle in a moped crash aged 14 (lived in Spain so one of those crappy little mopeds with pedals) and she has had umpteen operations on it over the subsequent thirty years. Hopefully your daughter’s low speed injury is somewhat less severe TT.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Ankles can heal badly, but it's easier to take strain off. Broken ribs can even hurt breathing. Certainly mine did when I broke just them.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Disastrous @ Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:57 pm

Glad you’re back home datho and hope you’re healing.

I was mildly cross at a biker today. Traffic was terrible and a big junction in Glasgow where the motorway goes through town was all jammed up in about 7 directions and it was pissing down to boot.

I had an indicator on in a vain attempt to change lanes in the near stationary traffic and did that thing where you sort of ‘suggest’ a half turn of the wheels to try and get traffic to notice.

The bloke behind in the next lane flashed me out as the traffic started to move and just before I did, I checked my mirror and saw a bike filtering and slammed the brakes on.

He came sailing past at a decent clip, seemingly blissfully unaware of either my indicator, car, or how close he could have come if I hadn’t checked.

Anyway, I was mildly cross but it did make me think how easily that sort of thing could happen without any real negligence occurring. One minor error would be all it took really :(
Disastrous
Monkey Licker!

Post by Clown Ice Skater #4 @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:40 am

Funnily enough, I also saw a very near miss yesterday which made me WTF a bit. I was going up a one-way road which has cars parked on both sides and a biker (proper motorbike rather than a yoot on a scooter, so he should have known better, tsk) sat right on my driver's side back corner, clearly wanting to overtake. There was no room for me to move over safely, so I ignored him, but then he went for a seriously dodgy overtake where there was a bit of a gap in parked cars.

Except there were two guys sitting on the road next to the next car parked doing some work on the car. Had he gone for his overtake instead of pulling back at the last minute, he would certainly have hit them and by the looks on their faces they thought the same thing too. Biker-cnut shouted at me as though this was my fault and then shot past the minute the road widened.

There are tons of motorbikes round my way and it's genuinely rare that you see them doing something stupid so you tend to notice if they do.
Last edited by Clown Ice Skater #4 on Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clown Ice Skater #4

Post by Deuteronomy @ Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:43 pm

Turntable wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:(although she brought her wordsearch book),

Are you telling this story from 1980?

>disproportionately massive laugh<

:D
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Help me read between the lines on this, if there are any:

The insurance assessors have just phoned and told me it looks like it's touch and go whether they could repair my bike without going over the insurer's total loss threshold.

The bloke said that there might be things they could do to achieve the threshold figure, possibly by using some discounted parts, or by not striving to ensure it's spotless like it was before.

I said if I was to have the bike back, repaired, I would want it to be perfect as it was before. Otherwise if it was deemed a total loss I would use the payout to replace it and wouldn't be broken hearted.

Have I got my response right? I've just been completely honest with what I've said, but I haven't had to deal with insurers etc for a very long time.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Sounds right to me, I wouldn't want it back anything other than as good as it was before the accident.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Help me read between the lines on this, if there are any:

The insurance assessors have just phoned and told me it looks like it's touch and go whether they could repair my bike without going over the insurer's total loss threshold.

The bloke said that there might be things they could do to achieve the threshold figure, possibly by using some discounted parts, or by not striving to ensure it's spotless like it was before.

I said if I was to have the bike back, repaired, I would want it to be perfect as it was before. Otherwise if it was deemed a total loss I would use the payout to replace it and wouldn't be broken hearted.

Have I got my response right? I've just been completely honest with what I've said, but I haven't had to deal with insurers etc for a very long time.

Can you replace it like for like with the amount they'll offer?
Another option is to take their total loss figure, buy the bike off them and get it repaired yourself.
Bear it mind it'll be a Cat something if they write it off:

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/choosing/what-is-a-cat-c-or-cat-d-car
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Sounds right to me. Certainly similar to what I said when I was in the sitch.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:02 pm

The assessor is going to report back to me within the next couple of days...
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by S1K @ Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Indemnity should mean they put the bike back to the condition it was in a moment before the accident.
S1K

Post by Dirk @ Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Anything more than fairly minor and I would worry about what unseen damage has been done to the chassis or a car- i.e. its weakened but not broken. So for a major accident I would prefer money

Not sure whether there is the same risk with a bike but that would be my view
Last edited by Dirk on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirk

Highscores: 5

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 am

I'd have done/said the same Damo
Deuteronomy

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am

Just heard. They've judged it as a total loss.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by CJ+ @ Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:19 am

That's probably the best outcome, TBH.
CJ+

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 am

I think I think that too.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:08 pm

Makes it a trickier conversation with Mrs T though I’d imagine.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Ha, I suspect so yes.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat