Benelli Dynamo Scrambler Restoration

Two wheels good.

Re: Benelli Dynamo Scrambler Restoration

Post by Deuteronomy @ Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:11 am

S1K wrote:Those shiny bits are very impressive. A domestic dishwasher is also a very effective degreaser, but again it's something best done with prior permission or when you won't be found out.

Good luck with freeing up the piston and with the CBT.

This is very true.

Top tip, you need to leave enough time to run the dishwasher again afterwards with one of those dishwasher cleaner things in it as it'll smell like hot engine oil otherwise.
Deuteronomy

Post by wi11iam @ Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:17 pm

CBT in a couple of weeks - never ridden one before so hoping the lack of bad habits and knowing I know nothing will cancel out the risk of over confidence based on experience.

At least I get to fall off someone else’s bike for the first few goes.

I’m hoping balance from other things (skiing and ice skating) crosses over and helps.
wi11iam

Post by S1K @ Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:25 pm

CBT is not hard. If you're a competent cyclist and driver the road stuff is easy. Getting used to doing the gears with a hand clutch and foot pedal might take a little while but I don't think anyone actually fails the CBT.
S1K

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 pm

I need to book my CBT too. I keep meaning to ring from work at lunch time, but forget.

I how I wouldn't find it too troublesome, I've been driving since 1988, as well as cycling. Although that probably means I've accumulated actual tons of terrible habits.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Aesgarth @ Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:53 am

Damien Thorn wrote:I need to book my CBT too. I keep meaning to ring from work at lunch time, but forget.

Do it today!
Damien Thorn wrote:I how I wouldn't find it too troublesome, I've been driving since 1988, as well as cycling.

That won't help, but...
Damien Thorn wrote:Although that probably means I've accumulated actual tons of terrible habits.

That won't matter.

When I did mine the classroom element got a bit tedious - mostly because the instructor was trying to be a bit of a clever cnut, and appeared to be making the assumption that everyone there was 16 and had never seen a road before. Still, it's almost impossible to fail unless you want to.

The riding round in circles bit started off as fun, and a couple of elements especially i very briefly found difficult, getting the timing of braking and clutch on the emergency stop took a couple of goes and the first couple of tight turns i had trouble keeping my feet up but the instructors are there to sort things like that out.

The on road element i found hilarious and really enjoyed. Definitely get on with it.

It also really got me wanting to get out on my proper bike (which I already had in the garage) so that meant getting on with lessons and passing my test.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Damien Thorn @ Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Aesgarth wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:I need to book my CBT too. I keep meaning to ring from work at lunch time, but forget.

Do it today!.

Booked! Two weeks time. They told me to book my theory test in the meantime, if I have any intention of getting anything bigger than 125.

Which I do.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:12 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:

Do it today!.

Booked! Two weeks time. They told me to book my theory test in the meantime, if I have any intention of getting anything bigger than 125.

Which I do.

Good, well done on the first step.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 am

Damien Thorn wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:

Do it today!.

Which I do.

Excellent. Well done.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Revol @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:26 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Booked! Two weeks time. They told me to book my theory test in the meantime, if I have any intention of getting anything bigger than 125.

Which I do.

How much?
Revol

Post by Damien Thorn @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:36 pm

Revol wrote:
Damien Thorn wrote:Booked! Two weeks time. They told me to book my theory test in the meantime, if I have any intention of getting anything bigger than 125.

Which I do.

How much?
How much what? Price? The CBT was free as I've put down a deposit on a further course.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 pm

wi11iam wrote:CBT in a couple of weeks - never ridden one before so hoping the lack of bad habits and knowing I know nothing will cancel out the risk of over confidence based on experience.

If it was literally a couple of weeks, then it's tomorrow. In which case good luck wi11iam! (Although apparently you won't need it).

Let us know how you get on. Mine's on Sunday, and I'm quite looking forward to it.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by wi11iam @ Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:34 pm

It wasn’t a literal two weeks, CBT was today so your ‘good luck’ came in handy as at that point in the day I was running over virtual pedestrians on a made up street in a car park. But I did miss the cones.

Course was run by Honda who appear to have little interest in making much money from training alone but lots of interest in selling you kit, first bike, second bike, more kit and maintenance. So much so it was ‘2 for £200’ and there were just two of us on the course. All ‘new this year’ kit and bikes and a large car park to play in.

Frankly the controls took a while to get used to appearing to be on or off for a while and being introduced to the next idea before you felt you’d mastered the last one meant it was full focus all the time and no hiding place with just two of us. But I didn’t fall off.

The whole ‘feather the clutch’ thing is alien and I kept hearing my Dad shouting in my head to stop riding the clutch but I got there. Or near enough.

After emergency stops (ish - top top. Don’t walk out in front of learners) and a quick intro to gears it was time for lunch by which point we were happily lapping the car park, turning and stopping and deluded into thinking we’d got it.

After lunch it was time for the open road. That shut us both up and a tentative ‘are you sure?’ was met with a somewhat brutal ‘I wouldn’t take you out if you weren’t- the paperwork if you stuff it is not worth it’ we were off. 2 one hour rides and we made enough of a fist of it to pass. No where near perfect but good enough and lots of practice required.

I’m chuffed I have done it and passed, I’ve definitely been out of my comfort zone all day and it’s a new challenge taken on but I haven’t got the bug for it. I can see the speed and thrill bit but you’re just too vulnerable for my liking. Maybe I’ll stick to pottering in the pits (if I can get the bike to run) or maybe that’ll be it but I do now know what the levers and pedals do which for me was the point of the exercise.
wi11iam

Post by Damien Thorn @ Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:50 pm

Excellent, well done! You've made it sound much more arduous than I have been expecting, so either I've been hopelessly blasé about it or you're just rubbish. But well done on not being rubbish and getting through it.

Do you ride a bicycle? I ride quite a lot on the road and suspect I've already well dealt with the whole vulnerability thing. So hopefully that won't phase me to much - although I admit I didn't even realize there was so much on-road involved.

Now I'm mildly nervous that I've already signed up (and part-paid) for DAS without ever having even been on a motorbike or knowing whether I'll 'like' it.

Still: well done wi11iam, is what I meant to say.
Last edited by Damien Thorn on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by wi11iam @ Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:09 am

I’ve not cycled on road for probably twenty years so that’s a good point about familiarity with the openness of it all.

You’ll crack the CBT no problem and getting the full license is a good idea if you have any intention to ride properly so you don’t have to faff redoing step one. Practicing until you can control the bike instinctively will help confidence on the road massively and I don’t have the interest to do that - but you sound like you do.

Best of luck on Sunday, if you hate it it’s only money and at least you’ll know having tried.
wi11iam

Post by Damien Thorn @ Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks.

Do you think after your experience yesterday you might be tempted out on your Benelli once it's done?
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by tanglerat @ Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:34 am

All very well and good, but not near enough restoration in this restoration thread!
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by wi11iam @ Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am

All right, I’ll do that tonight but I’ll prewarn that ID is storming ahead of me.
wi11iam

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 am

wi11iam wrote:All right, I’ll do that tonight but I’ll prewarn that ID is storming ahead of me.

Just weld something. For this lot it's the same as Capt. Cook turning up on an undiscovered island and showing them a mirror or shiny beads.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by wi11iam @ Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:57 pm

No more chatter about learning to ride (for a bit). Restoration update: No welding, fires or cock ups.

Anyone still there?

Hmm. Thought it went a bit quiet. Sod you then. I’m as much doing this for me as you so I’ll keep typing for posterity.

I have mostly been painting things black.

Seat body had surface rust and 40 years of grime so wire brushed that all off and the it’s been a little bit of hammerite most evenings as the hooks and springs need to hang to dry so can only paint one end. Two coats hasn’t helped the speed of the job either.

Not a lot to show for several hours effort. Thinned the hammerite so it doesn’t stick the springs into one rod.

And the usual silly bugger games with deliveries delivered to a neighbour but no card or information until you chase it up. But once retrieved from next door I have some shinier replacement shocks. Not the same but will look ok. I hope.

On the subject of wasted time. The chrome/platers stood me up. Promised to be open on Saturday to pick up parts. Were they? Were they bollocks. 40 minutes each way on a Saturday morning for nothing.

Pictures of shiny things to follow and painting in a few weeks when a mate is doing some other bits.
wi11iam

Post by wi11iam @ Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Seat carcass now done and box of bits back from platers.

Upholsterer has a slot in October so need to drop that off shortly. A couple of before shots as have realised demonstrating improvement isn’t possible without baseline.

Lots of shiny bits to unwrap - a bit like Christmas but presents from me, to me, at my expense but it’s still moderately exciting to get something back that has transformed.

Exhaust primary is still a bit ratty but given it was pockmarked like a ginger teenager’s face before it’ll do.

Hubs back from powder coating this week. Painting next....

And then assembly and finding out what bits have got lost, what I failed to take enough notes on and where I can funk things up. On the subject of lost things. My crate never made it back from the platers. Thieving ratbags.
wi11iam

Post by wi11iam @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:16 am

Bearings added to hubs and a rub down of the primer on the frame etc. Used a heat gun so no opportunity to set the bench alight for added interest.

And due to the miracle of the metric system the fuel tap filter from a modern Chinese generic set up fits a 1970’s Italian bike. Which is helpful as putting a thread on the filter I’d bought on eBay was not going well. £5 wasted on a filter but problem solved from a mate’s bits box.

Wheels also back from the powder coaters so getting to the point of being able to start reassembling!
wi11iam

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:40 am

Yay! Crack on!

Heat gun. You're not going to get good viewing figures unless you start doing flames and sparks. They're a tough crowd!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:17 pm

wi11iam wrote:Bearings added to hubs and a rub down of the primer on the frame etc. Used a heat gun so no opportunity to set the bench alight for added interest.

And due to the miracle of the metric system the fuel tap filter from a modern Chinese generic set up fits a 1970’s Italian bike. Which is helpful as putting a thread on the filter I’d bought on eBay was not going well. £5 wasted on a filter but problem solved from a mate’s bits box.

Wheels also back from the powder coaters so getting to the point of being able to start reassembling!

That's the good stuff there. That's what we want to read, massive and tiny problems cunningly solved. But flames and sparks too, of course.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by wi11iam @ Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:39 pm

The frame is still in primer but as I’m asking a mate to paint it using another friend’s kit I’m not pushing it just yet.

Another project (said two mates’) warrants sending a block to be bored out jumped the engine up the list.

First job: off with the piston barrel.

Add heat.

Not budging. More heat.

No WD40 induced flames but lots of hammering, prying, cursing and it started to move.

It eventually gave up and came off and is now off to be honed or bored depending on how funked it is deemed to be.

With the piston free the theory as to why it had seized got disproved as still no movement. Closer inspection reveals a lot of sand (now WD40 soaked) and a small rock which when removed allows the cam to turn, albeit seated in oily sand.

How that got there is yet to be found.

After that it’s more cleaning of things - engine casings - and I’m getting suspicious that someone has had the casings off before as the clutch had a spring loose inside the casing but I can’t get beyond that for now as the crank now turns and I can’t undo the nut.

At least it’s easy to see where you’ve cleaned.
wi11iam

Post by Il Duce @ Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:44 am

Vespistas use an impact wrench/gun to tighten/loosen that sort of nut. Might be worth a try.
Last edited by Il Duce on Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by wi11iam @ Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:30 pm

This week I have wasted time and money with nothing to show for it. Although perhaps it was an expensive way to learn to be a little more sceptical of eBay descriptions and reminded to measure not assume.

Advert said is was the right piston for the engine and as the bore column was still at the machine shop I couldn’t measure to check and bought it anyway. Plus postage from the states.

Obviously it didn’t fit and is now on its way back to the states, maybe I’ll get a refund on the piston but that’s £30 postage spunked

Painting if the weather holds tomorrow though. And I have a plan for the clutch assembly - remove circlip and see if I can get the plates off to give enough room to grip the shaft (!) and then undo nut.
wi11iam

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:16 am

Hang on. So you try and turn the nut and the crank turns and the con rod goes up and down yes? Put a rod/bar through the top of the con rod and block it from moving. Obv make sure that the thing you stick through isn't going to damage the casings.

It's normal practice with Vespas not just something I made up.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by wi11iam @ Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Thanks but nut in question is on the clutch side of drive sprocket (not shown) so turn independently of piston. I think. Will have more chance to tinker in the week as in-laws coming tomorrow and I’m in the dog house for spending most of today painting.

Image[/url]
Image[/url]
Image[/url]

Not bad for a bunch of amateurs

And eBay shopping for another piston that should fit this time.
wi11iam

Post by wi11iam @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 pm

New piston arrived today and the first seller not only gave a refund but also on the postage costs to get it to me so ordering the wrong one probably cost £15 and time.

And paint is hardened nicely with little finishing needed.

And that’s about where the progress ends. Due to muppetry the swing arm didn’t get fully painted, we’d run out of paint so a rattle can was bought to sort that. Except I’d not made a note of the paint code so had to guess at it from the sample chart and memory (correctly tho). And then the aerosol paint reacted badly with the paint already on the swing arm, blistering at the edges no matter how much rubbing down, degreasing and care was taken so that’s back off to the stripper and we start again.

Building up the bike again now stalled by swing arm but I’ve put tyres on wheels, put a few bearing cups on, bought new fixings and ready to go.

On the subject of more expense new tools abound that get used once or twice, do the job and go into the tool chest. Three legged puller, 24mm spanner and hole punch (for tank seal). Although the fly wheel is now proving a pain as the three legged puller can only get two under it due to the engine casing lip being to close. Investigating some sort of threaded insert to pull it out but at M18 and 1.25 pitch that’s not proving common.

Still not finished the lawnmower either.
wi11iam

Post by Pigeon @ Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:31 pm

It's probably one of those bastard things where there is a Special Tool with an M18/1.25 thread that you have to either use or imitate because nothing else will work, and people who do these all the time will go on about it if you set them off right. Like the MZ clutch which can't be fetched off with a puller no matter what the fcuk you do because it flexes and binds itself onto the shaft, and some similar Special Tool is the only thing that'll do it.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat