Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Two wheels good.

Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:55 am

Well with the departure of the red bastard it's time to start the blue bastard.

Here's a reminder of what I'm dealing with.

I intend to do all the spanner work myself but the bodywork will go to Craig who is a paint genius. Apparently.
I shall NOT be relying on those uslesshits at Wildcat after recent revelations concerning their supposed "full engine rebuild" on the orange one. It was leaking oil because they used the wrong o-ring on the gear.

Look:

How in gods name you could think that you were fitting the correct o-ring is beyond me.

It also appears they have fitted the wrong crank side bearing resulting in movement but luckily no damage.
Anyway, they can piss off.

Other news from Italy is that the orange engine had been upgraded in parts but not others.
I now have 2 choices:
1. return to fully standard- few hundred euro
2. realise the full potential of the upgraded parts by changing crank, intake, carb and exhaust and making a flying machine... for a few more hundred euro.

Oh yes please! Make it slower and make me pay money to do that. Bugger that! I'm going for a wheelie monster!

What has this got to do with the ET3? Well I was going to go mad with the engine but those funds are going on the orange one so it'll be all standard stuff on the ET3 I'm afraid. Still, there's bound to be hours of laughs for you!

I start the strip-down this afternoon and so should have some photos to post tomorrow.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Re: Vespa ET3 FULL Restoration

Post by Careless Whisperer @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:31 am

Il Duce wrote:Image

Have you thought about just lacquering it, as is?
Careless Whisperer

Highscores: 5

Post by Aesgarth @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:37 am

Careless Whisperer wrote:

Good idea, that could look excellent!
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Aesgarth wrote:

Good idea, that could look excellent!

Don't be so stupid. Only a feckless shithead would even consider doing something as crap as that.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Strawman @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:31 pm

Looks like a publicity photo for a new sport Forza scooter polo, easier than keeping ponies, when this becomes a massive hit and you sell the TV rights I want some of the profits OK ?
Strawman

Post by Il Duce @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Strawman wrote:Looks like a publicity photo for a new sport Forza scooter polo, easier than keeping ponies, when this becomes a massive hit and you sell the TV rights I want some of the profits OK ?

You can have all the pony shit you can eat.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minimoog @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Il Duce wrote:Image

Bastard - beat me to it!
minimoog

Post by Dirk @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:23 pm

So have you learned the lessons from the first one?

1) You need a welder
2) You need to cover it in mirrors and shit. Fcuk your aesthetics, it will sell better
3) You need a plasma cutter
Dirk

Post by tanglerat @ Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:51 pm

Dirk wrote:So have you learned the lessons from the first one?

1) You need a welder
2) You need to cover it in mirrors and shit. Fcuk your aesthetics, it will sell better
3) You need a plasma cutter

Good summary.
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:20 am

Day 1 and it's strip down time.

Engine out and on the bench in 10 mins

Head and thermal off to show the cylinder walls- mint!

And the head is a Pollini and looks unused. Nice!

Piston is mint too

The box of LABELLED AND BAGGED parts starts to grow

Now the front end. Headset off, wheel and hub off.

Front hub hasn't seen the light of day for 8 years is my guess. Everything seized but I managed to free it all up and strip it down with some spray and some heat. Alternately this time.

Looks like at least the upper and lower fork bearings have been changed.

Starting to get nude

Fork is out and mudgauard is off

The front shocker is seized on by the top bolt so it's into the vice and drill the shit out of the bolt

And it's off!

Box of bits gets bigger!

It seems that some work has been done in certain places but others haven't been touched.
It'll need new shocks back and front and that front hub will need stripping and all the seals and bearings replaced.
The wiring loom is in place but the couple of cables that he'd routed were all in the wrong place and shit quality anyway so it'll need a new full set. There are internal parts missing from the headset but at least they're not too expensive.

The engine. Seems the top end is good and there are signs that the cases have been split but the fact that the gear change is jammed doesn't fill me with hope for a lovely inside. Might just be seized and need some oil/grease as the engine didn't have any oil in it. Either way it's coming apart on Sunday- at best I'll just be changing all the oil seals- at worst it'll need bearings as well. And a gear selector. And a gear cluster. And a new crank.

Remember I said I'd never hear from that bloke who bought the red bastard? Wrong! Phone call last night to tell me the gear selector is jammed in neutral. It's the one part I never had any problems with. In fact when I rode it the gearchange put the orange one to shame. Solid and precise. Fvcknows what he's done to make that happen. At least he said "I'm not trying to get my money back (good) just for some advice and tips" I felt exactly the same when I couldn't get the engine to stop jamming. I hope he sorts it though. Little red bastard- even pissing me off AFTER I've sold it.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:48 pm

Good morning's work there. You should take a break and have a coffee or something.
tanglerat

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:00 pm

tanglerat wrote:Good morning's work there. You should take a break and have a coffee or something.

Yeah good idea!

Apart from:

1. it was yesterday afternoon.
2. the delivery of coffee some halfbaked cheese eating cnut promised me, hasn't arrived.

I had a beer instead anyway.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Deuteronomy @ Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Nice progress already ID
Deuteronomy

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:22 pm

Il Duce wrote:
tanglerat wrote:Good morning's work there. You should take a break and have a coffee or something.

Yeah good idea!

Apart from:

1. it was yesterday afternoon.
2. the delivery of coffee some halfbaked cheese eating cnut promised me, hasn't arrived.

I had a beer instead anyway.

FFS!
tanglerat

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:12 pm

Nice progress.

I did think you were being very optimistic selling that bike after a quick run up and down the road and confirming it was all fine. Cables stretch and things bed in etc. I'm sure it'll be fine.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:01 pm

manfromdelmonte wrote:Nice progress.

I did think you were being very optimistic selling that bike after a quick run up and down the road and confirming it was all fine. Cables stretch and things bed in etc. I'm sure it'll be fine.

It was perfect when I rode it a few times.
It was perfect when the mechanics at Wildcat rode it.
It was perfect when I gave it to him.

And it's a scooter not a bike.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am

Very successful Sunday.

It was engine strip down day and I was dreading splitting it and finding a nightmare inside.

Flywheel removed- so easy with the right tool

Stator looks all ok

Rear brake hub removed and amazingly it's all new inside. Totally the opposite of the front hub.

Backplate off and it's clear the builder LOVED his gasket sealant

Clutch cover off. ooh look more sealant! Clutch looks good and so do the teeth on the basket and the primary.
That said the special tab washers that stop the nut undoing were shagged. They should be new every time. The builder can't be trusted to have done anything.

Casing split easily and reveal yet more gasket sealant. Did he think he was building a submarine? Also One of the kickstart rubbers had been cut in two. He obv didn't have a replacement so just shoved half a one in there. They are there to protect the casings when you release the kickstart and it flies back to it's starting position. What a slapdash fvcker!

Gear cluster out and tied together so they don't get mixed up or flipped. Need a second opinion on the state of these. Outer teeth are ok but need to check on the inner dogs.

Other side of the casing. all good so far

Gear selector out and it looks new. Well the bit in the middle that usually needs changing.

Christmas tree cluster looks ok
But we'll have it out and change the bearing anyway. So easy when you have a bearing splitter.

There you are, almost empty casings. Couple of bearings and oil seals to pop out and it can go off for sand blasting.

That all took 3 hours which was pretty good as I didn't have many hold ups. The cowboy, let's stop calling him a builder, had tightened up some bolts well beyond the torque values. What a wanker. Luckily they were only hub bolts and not casing bolts. The casings look good with no damage and the piston and crank are perfect.

Two lots of parts are on their way so should be more work done on Thursday.
I've built up a notepad on the SIP parts site. It contains all the parts I need to do the job as I find out what I need. Then I move the bits I need for each section into the basket and buy it. Well it started off at £750. I've moved two orders OFF the notepad and it's now at £800.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:45 am

Bloody typical! Just because nothing snapped, jammed, cut me or went on fire you all don't give a damn.

I can't help it if I finally know what I'm doing.

Loads of parts coming tomorrow so there's bound to be a massive cock up on Thursday afternoon.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Dirk @ Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 am

Mirrors, plasma, weld

then we will be interested
Dirk

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am

Boring report I'm sorry.

I decide to clean up the casings and remove the bearings:

They actually look better in real life but that's my camera phone for you.
I might spray the outside of the engine casings but I'm not sure yet.

I also refurbished the front hub internals. Two bearings a circlip and a speedo drive nut.
It involved bearing pullers and a special castle nut tool.
Unfortunately there was so much shit and grease I only took a picture at the end.

All that took me 3 and a half hours. I'm not sure where the time went but it was a truly bloody horrible dirty time.

I've ordered the engine bearings but they won't arrive until Monday so on Sunday I'll be fitting the engine rubber mountings and maybe cleaning up some more parts.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:22 am

Nice work ID. It's not really much of a blue bastard so far though.

Hopefully for us all the wrong parts turn up but you only realise after almost full reassembly. Hopefully for you it all keeps goes smoothly.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:11 am

No it's far too easy so far. Even when problems have arisen I seem to have sorted them out quickly.

I could suggest that it's all the experience and new tools I got during the red bastard build .....but in reality you just know it's lulling me into a false sense of security before dropping a massive shit in my lap.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 am

Grand Prix on record so I can fast forward through it over lunch- check!
Steak out ready for lunch- check!

Lets get in the garage and cock up something! Yay!

First was removing the bearings from the front hub. Roller bearings. Totally seized into place.
There was no way of getting a puller in there so I used the tried and tested, heat, plus gas, (not together sorry)...
and a big bloody hammer and screwdriver to smash the shite out of them until it looked like this:

I couldn't find a video on my usual youtube vespa channel so I had a think.
No way of pulling them in easliy with a threaded bolt as I couldn't get the buggers to sit flush and I was afraid to get them jammed in there. I need a press. I didn't have a press. BUT I did have a vice which did a bloody superb job of squeezing in each one in turn. Look!!

Next job was to clean up both hubs and the fork and etch prime them. Horrible dirty job but with a pleasing end result:

Then on with the first coat of the specific colour silver I'd ordered.

Very pleasing.

And that was that. No cock ups. Nothing went to shit. Saying it was quite is easy so I'm not tempting fate.
feckit! This is bloody easy!

There.
Thursdays episode should be like a laurel and hardy/ some mother do 'ave em episode. Just for you!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:08 pm

Don't underestimate the value of comedy to a good restro thread!
tanglerat

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am

MASSIVE COCK UP ALERT!!!

No not really. Sorry. Just a tiny hitch.

Ok engine mounts changed using threaded bar and bolts and washers and a hole cutting drill attachment because it was the right diameter.

Three bearings (plus another one on the crank) fitted no problem apart from I appear to have lost the circlip for the centre one.
I have no idea where it went but the little shit has gone. I'd ordered one but the parcel arrived after I left work.

Christmas tree gears fitted

Clutch stripped, checked and rebuilt. It's a Pollini one which is good and it hasn't been used. Yay!

Backplate refitted:

Gearchange o ring changed and assembly refitted

Engine bolts shined using my new bench grinder. A very pleasing job. I wish I'd had more to polish.

Kickstarter quadrant, and rubber stops and spring fitted,

Clutch basket fitted.

And that's where I was forced to stop as I need that bloody bearing circlip before I can remount the gears.

All that took 3 hours and I'm sure I would have had the casings closed in another 30 mins.

Took the bodywork to my sprayer. Higher price than I thought but it'll be going in for paint a week on Monday.

Again my apologies for not fvcking up anything.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:52 am

What's this about a new benchgrinder? Are you buying kit and tools now for the long term? Slippery slope ID, slippery slope.
tanglerat

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:02 am

tanglerat wrote:What's this about a new benchgrinder? Are you buying kit and tools now for the long term? Slippery slope ID, slippery slope.

Yes I've been buying tools. I even bought a special castle nut remover ...among other special tools.
I can only assume that this is the reason the build is flying along.

Anyway...I originally bought a £20 argos piece of unbalanced powerless shit that I returned to them.
I then spent £60 on a proper one.

Look at this beauty!!! So smooth and quiet it's a joy to use and doesn't even need screwing to a bench!

Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:22 am

Il Duce wrote:Look at this beauty!!! So smooth and quiet it's a joy to use and doesn't even need screwing to a bench!
[/img]

Screw it down anyway. The last thing you want is it grabbing a bolt and jumping onto your hands with that wire brush.

Speaking of which... have you been finding lots of lovely brass darts stuck in your clothes or does it spin slowly enough not to be a cnut like that?
Aesgarth

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:53 am

Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:Look at this beauty!!! So smooth and quiet it's a joy to use and doesn't even need screwing to a bench!
[/img]

Screw it down anyway. The last thing you want is it grabbing a bolt and jumping onto your hands with that wire brush.

Speaking of which... have you been finding lots of lovely brass darts stuck in your clothes or does it spin slowly enough not to be a cnut like that?

Ok. I'll try and find space for it but it's 45cms wide. Looks like I'm going to need a bigger bench.

No brass darts. No nothing. No complaints. It really is a lovely bit of kit.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Aesgarth @ Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:38 am

Il Duce wrote:
Aesgarth wrote:
[/img]

Ok. I'll try and find space for it but it's 45cms wide. Looks like I'm going to need a bigger bench.

No brass darts. No nothing. No complaints. It really is a lovely bit of kit.

It doesnt need to be a permanent attachment... a couple of holes in the bench top, some long bolts and some wing nuts and you can remove it when not in use...
Aesgarth

Next

Return to Bike Chat