Vespa ET3 Restoration

Two wheels good.

Re: Vespa ET3 Restoration

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 am

The tool arrived on Monday so I pulled the plates on Weds night and soaked them in oil overnight. They were pretty dry so it would explain the stuck clutch syndrome.

Here's the tool compressing the clutch with the plates removed

Soaked plates now reinstalled

Tool removed

Clutch cover, brake hub and wheel refitted

And finally, exhaust refitted and ready to go.

I refitted the clutch cable and after some adjustment it appears that it's working: Pull clutch lever in when in gear and I can easily move the rear wheel. Might need a bit more adjustment but at least it looks as though I've sorted it.

Next job will be refitting the front light. This worked when I last had the engine running so that should be ok, unfortunately none of the rear lights worked (stop and tail). Hopefully it's just wrongly wired or a bad connection as both are not working. A bad thing would be just the brake light not working as this would point to a dud brake light switch which would mean removing the rear brake pedal for access to change it- a bastard of a job. Now that I've said it you can guess what'll happen.

Also the horn wasn't working but I've changed it for a new one and fingers crossed it'll make a noise.

You know that it won't don't you?

Never mind, I shall persevere and overcome the BB as I am THE VESPA VANQUISHER!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:42 am

I powered it up and all the gears work and the clutch does its job. Finally!

The horn works. But it won't stop working. It gets quieter as I switch on more lights. I removed it from the frame to make sure it wasn't short circuiting but nothing changed. I even swapped the wires but no dice. I didn't have a multi-meter so I couldn't do any checks. Might be that there's an adjustment on it that's screwed right in so that it's always on. Knowing my luck there isn't.

I figure it could be a duff horn, or the switch even though both are new. All the front lights work so I don't figure it's the wiring, that said the rear lights don't work but that could be a faulty bulb holder as it was the original. Time to buy a multi-meter!
Welder next I promise!

Once the elecs are sorted I just have to fit the headlight (1 screw) the tank ( 3 bolts) and the stripes and it's ready for an MOT and registration. Nearly there!
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 am

Il Duce wrote:I figure it could be a duff horn, or the switch even though both are new. All the front lights work so I don't figure it's the wiring, that said the rear lights don't work but that could be a faulty bulb holder as it was the original. Time to buy a multi-meter!
Welder next I promise!

If I was guessing I'd say wiring or switch to blame, but remembering the way these things are wired from last time you had issues, I certainly wouldn't bet on it. In theory the horn, if it makes a noise when connected, is fine - as the switch should be the deciding factor on whether the horn has power or not.....
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:13 am

Aesgarth wrote:
Il Duce wrote:I figure it could be a duff horn, or the switch even though both are new. All the front lights work so I don't figure it's the wiring, that said the rear lights don't work but that could be a faulty bulb holder as it was the original. Time to buy a multi-meter!
Welder next I promise!

If I was guessing I'd say wiring or switch to blame, but remembering the way these things are wired from last time you had issues, I certainly wouldn't bet on it. In theory the horn, if it makes a noise when connected, is fine - as the switch should be the deciding factor on whether the horn has power or not.....

Thinking about it now it's the only sensible option. The loom is new too.

I bought a multimeter anyway.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:15 am

Probably the switch. I imagine it's just a simple push-to-make type of thing, so if you just pull the wires off it, it should only sounds the horn when you touch the wires together.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:42 am

manfromdelmonte wrote:Probably the switch. I imagine it's just a simple push-to-make type of thing, so if you just pull the wires off it, it should only sounds the horn when you touch the wires together.

On this model it's an "opener" so you break the circuit to sound the horn.

The larger circle top right in a bank of 3- when you push the button the centre of the three blobs moves forward and breaks the circuit and the horn sounds.

Does this change anything Aegarth?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Aesgarth @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:49 am

Is it 6v or 12v?

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic90580

Re: Horn always on ??? 1965
theageofindustry wrote:
firekdp wrote:
Buckarooo wrote:
Any ideas why ? Could I have a wrong switch similar to the break light switch people have in other posts ?

Yes, the switch should break the connection, putting the horn in series with the headlight. With the switch at rest the horn should be shorted out.

For 6v this is correct. You'll need to sort your wiring between the horn and the switch.

ETA: at the end of that thread It says the problem was the wrong switch. Not so sure in your case.
Last edited by Aesgarth on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aesgarth

Highscores: 4

Post by minimoog @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:06 pm

If the horn's always on you should export it to Italy where that will be a big selling point.
minimoog

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:56 pm

Aesgarth wrote:Is it 6v or 12v?

http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic90580

Re: Horn always on ??? 1965
theageofindustry wrote:
firekdp wrote:
Buckarooo wrote:
Any ideas why ? Could I have a wrong switch similar to the break light switch people have in other posts ?

Yes, the switch should break the connection, putting the horn in series with the headlight. With the switch at rest the horn should be shorted out.

For 6v this is correct. You'll need to sort your wiring between the horn and the switch.

ETA: at the end of that thread It says the problem was the wrong switch. Not so sure in your case.

1965 is a different scooter. Mines also 6v but is deffo supposed to be an "opener".

I've checked my photo record and for some stupid reason I didn't buy a new switch and used the original which is fine if you knew it was working when you stripped it. But I didn't did I.
Yet again I ignored the sign on my workbench:

"Do it right the FIRST bloody time!"
Last edited by Il Duce on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:13 pm

As that switch you showed is also your light switch it sounds as though all your problems are solved.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by Il Duce @ Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:As that switch you showed is also your light switch it sounds as though all your problems are solved.

Laugh.

That's what the scooter wants you to think.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:29 am

The new switch arrived. Upon removing the old one I found two wires had come out of the connecting block. I fitted the new switch anyway, added new bulbs all over, fired it up and it all worked. Amazing!

Fitted the petrol tank and mirror and then gave it a wash and fitted the stripes.

So.

It's finished.

Just needs and MOT and registering and then it can be sold.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by minimoog @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:42 am

:clap:

Well done that man - looks excellent.

Do another!
minimoog

Post by desertweasel @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 am

That's fantastic, well done.
desertweasel

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks all. What happened to the other CTF'er thread- he was restoring a monkey bike?
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by CJ+ @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 am

That's very nice. Well done, ID.
CJ+

Highscores: 1

Post by tanglerat @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:30 am

Good job. Fine work.

I know I didn't post encouragement every time you updated. Lack of welder I daresay.

And yes, do another!
tanglerat
Ruler of the Queen's Navee

Post by DI Burnside @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:54 am

Good job ID
DI Burnside

Highscores: 7

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:13 am

It was really odd yesterday, 45 minutes of tinkering and then suddenly it was all over. Nothing to do. As much as I've had moments when I wanted to burn the fvcker, I was a bit sad to be honest.

I'm pretty sure I'll do another.

My current idea is a quick engine (20-25 bhp) with uprated clutch and disc brake but with bodywork painted like something I saw on Welderup- Vegas Rat Rods. It was the Haunted Rod and the paintwork looked as though the car had been burnt in hell.
The wheels, engine and running gear will look new though. Also I'll fit a yellow front light.

https://welderup.com/pages/haunted-rod

But who knows.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by wi11iam @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Il Duce wrote:What happened to the other CTF'er thread- he was restoring a monkey bike?

I went skiing for the winter so it’s, hopefully, untouched in the garage but as winter is pretty much done here it’s time to head home and pick up ‘normality’. The bike will be part of that.

Well done on a good looking job. Are you going to make money? Does that include your time (& what do you charge yourself at)? Or is it just for fun?
wi11iam

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 pm

wi11iam wrote:
Il Duce wrote:What happened to the other CTF'er thread- he was restoring a monkey bike?

I went skiing for the winter so it’s, hopefully, untouched in the garage but as winter is pretty much done here it’s time to head home and pick up ‘normality’. The bike will be part of that.

Well done on a good looking job. Are you going to make money? Does that include your time (& what do you charge yourself at)? Or is it just for fun?

Thanks.
I'll make about 40% if I don't include my time and I don't because I do it to keep me sane. I think.
I have no idea how many hours I put into it anyway.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Pigeon @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Great stuff ID.
Pigeon
CTF Technical Expert
CTF Technical Expert

Post by S1K @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Well done ID

I think I might like where your ideas are heading with the next one but if you do that sort of finish please don’t top it off with a shiny lacquer coat like that car, it looks wrong.
S1K

Post by Il Duce @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:12 pm

S1K wrote:Well done ID

I think I might like where your ideas are heading with the next one but if you do that sort of finish please don’t top it off with a shiny lacquer coat like that car, it looks wrong.

Yes. I don't remember it being as shiny as that. It ruins the effect.
I want it to look as though it's just driven out of the gates of hell and all the paint has burned, melted and run down the panels.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Looks immaculate.

I'd urge you to do a couple of hundred miles on it before selling it, just to be fair on the buyer. A proper shake down in other words.
Tokyo Sexwale

Post by manfromdelmonte @ Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:25 pm

Superb stuff ID. This whole thread has been great. Look forward to the next.
manfromdelmonte

Post by Il Duce @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 am

Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Looks immaculate.

I'd urge you to do a couple of hundred miles on it before selling it, just to be fair on the buyer. A proper shake down in other words.

Laugh.

Yeah I'll stick a 3 year warranty on it too.

Caveat emptor.
Il Duce
Italian Person
Italian Person

Post by Damien Thorn @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 am

This is a properly brilliant result ID. Really stellar.

I love the idea of something more custom next, too.
Damien Thorn
Spamcop
Spamcop

Post by Käsemeister @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 am

That looks fantastic.
Käsemeister

Post by Tokyo Sexwale @ Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:26 am

Il Duce wrote:
Tokyo Sexwale wrote:Looks immaculate.

Laugh.

Yeah I'll stick a 3 year warranty on it too.

Caveat emptor.

Wevs.
Tokyo Sexwale

PreviousNext

Return to Bike Chat